The State of the program

logan adams

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Do you own a gas station?

9 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Yes

This has me very confused/intrigued. Are you an oracle jeff?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole thing has gone in the worst possible direction it could go. I mean it i was to type out the worst possible scenario for the offseason i don't think i could have thought of a situation this bad. And the fault can be laid completely at the feet of the leadership of Auburn University. All of them. Leath....Greene.....BOT......all of them. 

Our current state. We now have a lame duck head coach, an MIA AD, and no visible leadership. 

This would have ALL be avoided had the leadership of AU came out after the season and said Malzahn is our coach for next season and taken the heat they were sure to receive. If they weren't willing to take the heat by standing by Malzahn then they should have been willing to fire him and pay him his money. 

I feel bad throwing Greene in there as well but the AD just can't disappear when this stuff is going on. I still have hope that Greene can be a great AD for us but this situation does not paint him in a positive light. Leath needs to be gone from AU ASAP. I'm looking forward to the next call i get from AU asking for money. Leath will be discussed

2 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

This has me very confused/intrigued. Are you an oracle jeff?

I don’t actually own a gas station but me and jeff go way back...well to last night...we had some back and forth and I believe he was trying to make a point about the length of my posts. He’s good people though. 

Just now, nixtosanders94 said:

I don’t actually own a gas station

Bummer. I thought I had your personality pinned to a person I follow on Twitter.

5 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Are you an oracle jeff?

Basically. I been trying to tell people this!

Op I agree with everything. It is bad and it may get worse depending on the recruiting. 

Everyone is to blame. Gus is stubborn and nobody wants to work for him. If they do work for him they seem to hate it and move to a worse job. Leath Does not seem to care about big-boy football. He has basically tied the hands of Gus now. The new athletics director has not been seen in weeks. I don’t think he was prepared for this crap sandwich.

I will say this is the first time that I can ever remember going into a season with a true lame duck coach. He has no chance. Hey literally must win the SEC if he wants to survive and there is no way he can do that. I feel bad for him even though it was his doing. I feel bad for the fans. We are literally becoming the next Tennessee (who beat us at home btw). 

Things are not that good but they are not as bad as Josh Moon and others with an agenda say they are. I don't like Gus. I am extremely frustrated with him. I get it. But Moon and others are throwing gas on the fire. Let it go.

I know this all looks bad, but I think this type of stuff happens to other schools also, we just are too close to the situation here.  For example; look at U of F last year, they had a coach that won two SEC East titles and nobody liked him.  There was a lot of pressure on him last year and he buckled, then fired.  U of F made his life unbearable in his last year and then hired a the coach they wanted.  This after spending a ton of money to get MacElwain in and to let him go.  I don’t recall if it was a negotiated departure, but everybody wasn’t happy.  If Auburn is serious about having Gus gone, maybe they should float out a picture of Gus jumping the shark. A little levity. 

Now that the early signing period is in play, I don’t think anything will happen until after the bowl game with either the OC or possibly finding the money to let Gus go.  I’ll just let this play out.  JMO.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

:)  BAD is going scoreless against  bama four years in a row and of course losing all of those games.....while our legend Shug was coach and we were on five years of probation..    

So.....yep, things are not ideal by a long shot......but BAD BAD.....not even close....

It is BAD, BAD when people are being paid what they are to lead programs and universities. This isn't 1957. 

I can summarize this entire thread in 3 words.

wash rinse repeat

All the grumbling does absolutely no good. If we could all hop aboard a time machine to Labor Day weekend 2021 that would be about time AU is due for a very good-to-great season. And Gus will be long gone.

1 minute ago, autigeremt said:

It is BAD, BAD when people are being paid what they are to lead programs and universities. This isn't 1957. 

As a general statement I can agree but it's no less bad than what professional athletes are paid to give half effort or what other entertainment figures are paid for making bad movies or crappy TV programs?    It's the era.

BUT....what made you think that paying big salaries is any guarantee of results in sports?   It might make you more unhappy when you don't get the results but I assure you that back in 1957 coaches worked just as hard and were just as serious as they are today about winning.   And for the most part successful athletic programs are not created by paying big salaries and generally they are not even sustained by paying big salaries as we see at AU and many other schools....UNC-CH and Louisville come to mind at the moment. .   

So if  AUburn decides it wants to plow new ground and drop out of the world of mega salaries, then the school should just "do the right thing" and hire the best HC and assistants and keep all salaries under $500,000 or whatever....and live with the outcome.   Or we can offer our coaches one year contracts.....and hire whomever will take that kind of arrangement and live with that arrangement too.     Gus will be gone soon....next year or year after probably and we will have the opportunity to say that AU will not pay ridiculous salaries..... and maybe pay on a commission basis for games won in a season. ?    :dunno:

11 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Best thing that can happen at Auburn is Gus goes on a winning streak for a couple years similar to what Tubs did in 2004, 2005, and 2006.  If the wheels fall off after that when his contract is getting near the end then so be it.  Auburn is going to have a hard time attracting a competent coach after all the garbage that went on over the past two weeks.

If he goes on a winning streak we will give him another big  contract with a big buyout

17 hours ago, AURealist said:

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure. 

Lol. I actually watched that the other day. So many classic lines from his early acting years.

I actually think what is happening (though very painful now) will be for the best in the long run.

After years of knee jerk reactions by Auburn and Jabobs, the truly talented head coaches would not come any where near this place.  Sticking a couple of years with Gus will show potential HC that the new Auburn leadership will no longer overreact to a bad season.  Plus it burns off some of Gus' contract.  

In the meantime, we can watch the coaching landscape for an upcoming star and the Auburn fan base can spend a few years toning down the expectations they would place on a new HC. By the time a new HC comes along, Auburn fans will be thrilled with a 6-6 season because they see improvement.  The next year 8-4, next 10-2, and so on.  If I remember correctly, this was exactly the atmosphere Saban walked into.

I'm guessing 5-7 years before Auburn is back to prominence.  A painful journey.... but it will simply take time to unravel this mess.

3 hours ago, countoff said:

I actually think what is happening (though very painful now) will be for the best in the long run.

After years of knee jerk reactions by Auburn and Jabobs, the truly talented head coaches would not come any where near this place.  Sticking a couple of years with Gus will show potential HC that the new Auburn leadership will no longer overreact to a bad season.  Plus it burns off some of Gus' contract.  

In the meantime, we can watch the coaching landscape for an upcoming star and the Auburn fan base can spend a few years toning down the expectations they would place on a new HC. By the time a new HC comes along, Auburn fans will be thrilled with a 6-6 season because they see improvement.  The next year 8-4, next 10-2, and so on.  If I remember correctly, this was exactly the atmosphere Saban walked into.

I'm guessing 5-7 years before Auburn is back to prominence.  A painful journey.... but it will simply take time to unravel this mess.

Please feel free to post less. 😁

3 hours ago, countoff said:

CaptainNO.gif

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

Please feel free to post less. 😁

3 hours ago, AURealist said:

CaptainNO.gif

Well... the only other option I can see is to get a really good coach who is just as desperate as we are.  Anyone willing to give Art Briles a call?  I am. 

1 hour ago, countoff said:

Well... the only other option I can see is to get a really good coach who is just as desperate as we are.  Anyone willing to give Art Briles a call?  I am. 

Briles is off the table because the rumor mill has convicted him of running a rape gang.  

Gus loses to Purdue and we fire him.  We hire Harbaugh or Brohm. 

If Auburn can overcome the Gus Factor and beat Purdue,  we fire him after next year's 7-5 performance. 

No more talk of 2+ more years of this mess. 

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

Briles is off the table because the rumor mill has convicted him of running a rape gang.  

Gus loses to Purdue and we fire him.  We hire Harbaugh or Brohm. 

If Auburn can overcome the Gus Factor and beat Purdue,  we fire him after next year's 7-5 performance. 

No more talk of 2+ more years of this mess. 

That would be both funny & mean.

I can see it now.... "I beat your butt on the field....then took your job!!"

nqenMiG.gif

On 12/7/2018 at 5:58 AM, AuburnEagle79 said:

I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Gus is stubborn, the President doesn't seem to have a clue, the big boosters think that money = football knowledge. 

Man does a clean slate sound nice right about now. 

I would have sounded nice a day after the IB.

53 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

nqenMiG.gif

If I could add music to this it would be the Beach Boys. 🎶 "Let's go surfing now everybody's learning......oww"

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

nqenMiG.gif

The Gus vs Brohm idea makes me think of this: 

The Rollin Safari Ram fight 

Archived