Freeze To Liberty as HC

PowerOfDixieland

http://footballscoop.com/news/source-hugh-freeze-expected-liberty-head-coach/

https://247sports.com/Article/Hugh-Freeze-Liberty-head-coach-reports-Ole-Miss-126016837/

The long list of schools rumored to have eyes on Hugh Freeze as offensive coordinator may have to go in another direction. Freeze, according to a report from Football Scoop, is off the market as an offensive coordinator.

The former Ole Miss head coach will take over Liberty’s football program. Multiple reports surfaced confirming Football Scoop’s report and Freeze himself tweeted a thank you to someone congratulating him about the position.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Ironically, when this announcement crossed my screen, the Liberty Mutual jingle was playing on the TV. 

You’ve been gone for a while...nice to see your name pop up on here again!

25 minutes ago, keesler said:

Thank the Lord!

I think "praise the Lord" is the proper pronouncement ….but you are off to a good start today...:)

56 minutes ago, penguin149 said:

Freeze would have been a one-n-done as an OC, no matter where he landed.  He won't stay at Liberty for long either.

Right..... no way he would have been here more than a year....like Muschamp...just hoping to find a landing sport until something better turned up. 

Freeze has a pretty good situation I think though Yahoo sports had about 600 word "hit piece" about him on their site today, worthy of one of the al.com guys.   And the writer used the opportunity to take a few shots at a Christian school hiring him, took a shot at Baylor and revisited the Ole Miss issues. .    JMO but its' gonna take more than just one year at Liberty to rehabilitate him for any major public university. 

Just now, AU64 said:

Right..... no way he would have been here more than a year....like Muschamp...just hoping to find a landing sport until something better turned up. 

Freeze has a pretty good situation I think though Yahoo sports had about 600 word "hit piece" about him on their site today, worthy of one of the al.com guys.   And the writer used the opportunity to take a few shots at a Christian school hiring him, took a shot at Baylor and revisited the Ole Miss issues. .    JMO but its' gonna take more than just one year at Liberty to rehabilitate him for any major public university. 

As a Christian it should be pointed out that Liberty U (though it may do some good Christian work through academics....I don't know) was founded by the Falwells.  These are/were shyster televangelists much like the Bakkers.  I'm sure Jerry F meant well and his heart was in the right place decades ago, but he lost his way, badly.  Liberty University is a "business".  They want to get in on that football money train.  Don't let them fool you.  

Now, I believe in forgiveness and Freeze could very well be a repentant Christian who his turning his life around....I don't know.  But Liberty University is just a job.

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

As a Christian it should be pointed out that Liberty U (though it may do some good Christian work through academics....I don't know) was founded by the Falwells.  These are/were shyster televangelists much like the Bakkers.  I'm sure Jerry F meant well and his heart was in the right place decades ago, but he lost his way, badly.  Liberty University is a "business".  They want to get in on that football money train.  Don't let them fool you.  

Now, I believe in forgiveness and Freeze could very well be a repentant Christian who his turning his life around....I don't know.  But Liberty University is just a job.

I have a grandson who is a junior at Liberty and expect I'm much more familiar with the school than you are....so just suggesting that you have some grossly wrong or  preconceived notions about the school.    As for it's founding,  note that Oral Roberts University was started many years ago by a Falwell type evangelist and nobody remembers him these days I guess but his school is doing well. .      

As for Liberty, they make no bones about their evangelism....which is fine with me.   But,  otherwise the school is more than 40 years old and has about 15,000 students in Lynchburg ,VA in a very modern campus.   While it's not Harvard,   it is a reasonable university with good financial aid for students who qualify based on GPA and SAT.     My grandson gets about 80% scholarship each year and a stipend for playing in the band.  As for making money from football.?  ....you must be joking.  Almost no college makes money from football and the few who do just pour it back into the program. 

Not doing a sales pitch for the school but I hate to see purely misleading information submitted as fact.  Freeze got the job of HC and the school is being criticized......and yet elsewhere on this forum some folks were adamant that it was a failure by Gus that Auburn did not hire him.   The hypocrisy is astounding.   ..JMO 

1 hour ago, Auburn 6 said:

Can’t FOIA him at a private university, seems like a match made in Heaven. 

Punsters at work tonight....

Like all private universities...….nothing new there....and they still have the NCAA to deal with.   Good fit for Freeze and not likely to get fired over losing to some hated rival.  And we won't have to worry about him in the SEC.

I had to chuckle at myself about my post above defending Liberty U.  

I was about the only poster here who was openly opposed to Freeze being hired at AU....and ranted regularly about that.....and now I'm defending him being hired by Liberty...:-\      though maybe if I were at Liberty I would not be that happy about it either.   But I still respect the school.....maybe just not their decision in hiring Freeze....though I expect he will do a much better job there than Gill did.  

Like most of us sinners, Freeze deserves another chance.....just somewhere other than Auburn.    :)

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

I have a grandson who is a junior at Liberty and expect I'm much more familiar with the school than you are....so just suggesting that you have some grossly wrong or  preconceived notions about the school.    As for it's founding,  note that Oral Roberts University was started many years ago by a Falwell type evangelist and nobody remembers him these days I guess but his school is doing well. .      

As for Liberty, they make no bones about their evangelism....which is fine with me.   But,  otherwise the school is more than 40 years old and has about 15,000 students in Lynchburg ,VA in a very modern campus.   While it's not Harvard,   it is a reasonable university with good financial aid for students who qualify based on GPA and SAT.     My grandson gets about 80% scholarship each year and a stipend for playing in the band.  As for making money from football.?  ....you must be joking.  Almost no college makes money from football and the few who do just pour it back into the program. 

Not doing a sales pitch for the school but I hate to see purely misleading information submitted as fact.  Freeze got the job of HC and the school is being criticized......and yet elsewhere on this forum some folks were adamant that it was a failure by Gus that Auburn did not hire him.   The hypocrisy is astounding.   ..JMO 

64, that's great about your grandson. I'm glad to hear that.  And yes, I'm sure your knowledge of the University, it's academics, it's profs, etc is 1000x greater than mine. 

I actually meant no disrespect to the School itself as I'm sure, and I did mention, there may be and probably are many true Christians doing good work there.  And I'm sure it's a fantastic educational experience.

My point was more towards those wanting to pick on Hugh Freeze being named their FB coach ad some hypocritical religious mockery.  Though God can & does do great things through all situations "football" is not part of God's work in general.  And again, Jerry Falwell was not someone who purely did everything out of his service to the Lord.  He was a business man and did much to make money... even with some shade.

So again, Freeze going to Liberty is not a pious or religious thing.... it's a man wanting a job coaching football.  And Liberty is not hiring him for his (outward) piety.  They're hiring him because he's available (and frankly, desperate) and they feel like he can really move their football program forward.  It's an all around Business Transaction...not a calling from God.

As for football programs not making money?  Okay. I realize in most situations the money goes back to the program.  However, what are good football programs known for?  Exposure, advertising, noteriety.  (UAT might not even exist w/out football...there would probably only be UAB and THEY'D be "the state school). I'm sure Notre Dame is glad for the money and exposure they get from football.  I don't see Liberty joining the Ivy League or even going the way of Oral Roberts U.  They are making an active push for D1 football.  They want to be Notre Dame....not ORU.

21 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

So again, Freeze going to Liberty is not a pious or religious thing.... it's a man wanting a job coaching football.  And Liberty is not hiring him for his (outward) piety.  They're hiring him because he's available (and frankly, desperate) and they feel like he can really move their football program forward.  It's an all around Business Transaction...not a calling from God.

No doubt....Liberty like Auburn is a big business and they do  things that help promote the business.  Smaller schools are at a disadvantage recruiting students unless they have a "full program" for the students...which usually means football and basketball.  One grand daughter is a HS senior and is making college decisions and immediately removed any school without a full athletic program....and she barely knows anything about football but feels like sports contributes to the "college experience".   

SO.....Liberty is gradually trying to climb the ladder to Div 1 like Troy did not that long ago and Freeze could be a step up for them.  They aren't trying to be ND or bama either......heard they are more interested in being a version of BYU but who knows?    While they are not hiring him for his outward piety, I do expect they would hold him accountable for repeating some of his actions at Ole Miss....whereas many colleges are pretty tolerant as long as the team is winning.  ...thinking Louisville for example. 

28 minutes ago, AU64 said:

No doubt....Liberty like Auburn is a big business and they do  things that help promote the business.  Smaller schools are at a disadvantage recruiting students unless they have a "full program" for the students...which usually means football and basketball.  One grand daughter is a HS senior and is making college decisions and immediately removed any school without a full athletic program....and she barely knows anything about football but feels like sports contributes to the "college experience".   

SO.....Liberty is gradually trying to climb the ladder to Div 1 like Troy did not that long ago and Freeze could be a step up for them.  They aren't trying to be ND or bama either......heard they are more interested in being a version of BYU but who knows?    While they are not hiring him for his outward piety, I do expect they would hold him accountable for repeating some of his actions at Ole Miss....whereas many colleges are pretty tolerant as long as the team is winning.  ...thinking Louisville for example. 

Very well said.  Yes BYU or TCU would probably be better examples of their actual "football" goals, but you got the point.

Also, I agree he may be held to a higher standard as for "outward behavior" but here's where I'll diverge a bit.  If he is winning, things will be "handled" internally as long as he does nothing to get the program itself in trouble IMO.  

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

Oral Roberts turned out to be in the class of the Bakers,  Tillton, Swaggart, and others who shame the good ranks of honorable Christian pastors. Oral Roberts used to line up people to come on his show and fake healings so he could get folks to send in lots of money.  There used to be a joke years ago that went this way....I bought an album of Oral Roberts and could not play it because the hole in the middle kept healing up!  Not making fun of religion whatsoever but strictly of Oral Roberts.

What does everyone think of this scenario:

1. Gus gets fired after the Iron Bowl

2. Freeze has a year of sanitization working for a Christian Univ. (Liberty U) Does and says all of the right things to regain honor to his name.

3. Auburn hires Freeze as its new HC

This would actually be a good hire. We could get him for likely a song and dance compared to what we are paying Gus. No doubt Freeze is a very good coach and could do well at Auburn as the HC down the road. I am for 2nd chances and I think Freeze is likely repentant or Liberty would not have given him the job.  I think he is likely a better person than Petrino when comparing 2 roguish coaches. 

5 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Oral Roberts turned out to be in the class of the Bakers,  Tillton, Swaggart, and others who shame the good ranks of honorable Christian pastors. Oral Roberts used to line up people to come on his show and fake healings so he could get folks to send in lots of money.  There used to be a joke years ago that went this way....I bought an album of Oral Roberts and could not play it because the hole in the middle kept healing up!  Not making fun of religion whatsoever but strictly of Oral Roberts.

Yep...I recall OR...and jokes about his school but they seem to have gotten well beyond those days.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep...I recall OR...and jokes about his school but they seem to have gotten well beyond those days.

If you want to have a gut busting laugh, do a youtube search of the farting preacher Robert Tilton. You will laugh yourself silly watching this! My pastor laughed so hard he cried when I showed this to him!

2 hours ago, Apextiger said:

With all the OC offers I just scratch my head and wonder why. I hope it works out for him.

He is a much better HC.  He has been an OC once, for one year (Arkansas State).  This is ideal for him and it would not surprise me to see him stay in Lynchburg for a long time.  Liberty has made a commitment to excellence in athletics.

Archived