men vs Dayton Preview/Review

gravejd

1 minute ago, fredst said:

Leaving off the editorial comment at the bottom😒...... that’s a pretty incredible stat. I mean we’ve played some patsies but we’ve played some good teams too. TV coverage tonight.....?

SEC network brother. If you don’t have that then check out reddit basketball streams

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Someone definitely did. Do you need me to quote them?

I'll do it for you...

On 12/4/2018 at 7:52 PM, cole256 said:

It shouldn't. That would make us the most mentally weak team I've ever seen. We're even playing at home

No where in that statement does Cole call the team mentally weak.  You might have inferred that, but he did not imply it. That isn't Cole's issue. So as I have said many times before, just stop.

10 hours ago, gravejd said:

Game will probably come down to how well AU plays D and if we can get offensive rebounds to get more shots then them. Or if we hit our 3s we’ll probably win comfortably.

That is a statement for every game of the season.  

When we are hitting our threes, we are unbeatable

For a second with the fighting I thought this was the football forum.  Never seen Bird this mad before.  All on the same team guys...

• WarTiger changed the title to men vs Dayton Preview
Just now, abw0004 said:

For a second with the fighting I thought this was the football forum.  Never seen Bird this mad before.  All on the same team guys...

Not mad at all. 

Quality opponent tonight. It wouldn’t surprise me if this game is close late.  I think that our depth will let us pull away at the end.  

We played better first half than second. This was the type of opponent I was saying we need as far as someone that can make us pay for mistakes. Hate to say it but it's the truth....we just have to be tougher mentally. We had the height, length, and size match ups but they were tougher this might and wanted the ball more. Things like playing down to competition, or putting your foot in the neck of your opponent and not letting them come back are usually the last steps needed to complete a championship team.

So I don't think it's a concern we'll just learn as we go. They exposed us a little, they did to us what I said we should do to Duke and they slowed us down in the second half.....we saw the results. Took us out of our comfort zone, if I'm a coach that has to play us that's EXACTLY what I'm going to do. 

I also wish chumma was more aggressive but he has so many upper class ahead of him. If you could put Harper head in his body that would be awesome. 

Good to see us get out of the shooting slumps a little, we're great when things are going right, now we need to get tough when somebody accepts the challenge and hit us in the mouth. I think we did that a little. Also kudos to their coach. The way we ended the half, and them playing on our home court, that team could've folded, but instead they came out and outplayed us in that second half. Takes alot of heart to do that. 

Was really happy to see Doughty play like that, he just need more confidence and to get in a rhythm

I said to my wife halfway into the first half- “Wish Okeke would get/be more involved on the offensive end”. Saw Bruce talking to him after the game and he mentioned it in his post-game comments as well. All of our big guys were a little passive tonight. And, they’ve shot it reasonably well in the past but I’d rather not see Spencer and McClemore taking many threes; I think Okeke and hopefully Purifoy are bigger guys that can stretch a defense. I love the potential of this team, just hope we don’t have too many nights that we require that kind of play out of our backcourt.

I liked Bruce’s post-game statements.  That he wasn’t pleased with the team besides Brown and Harper.  That they would work on everyone contributing.  Keeping the eye on the prize.  

43 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I liked Bruce’s post-game statements.  That he wasn’t pleased with the team besides Brown and Harper.  That they would work on everyone contributing.  Keeping the eye on the prize.  

I haven't seen pearl's comments but from what you describe I imagine he probably said some things I tried to relay

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I said to my wife halfway into the first half- “Wish Okeke would get/be more involved on the offensive end”. Saw Bruce talking to him after the game and he mentioned it in his post-game comments as well. All of our big guys were a little passive tonight. And, they’ve shot it reasonably well in the past but I’d rather not see Spencer and McClemore taking many threes; I think Okeke and hopefully Purifoy are bigger guys that can stretch a defense. I love the potential of this team, just hope we don’t have too many nights that we require that kind of play out of our backcourt.

To be honest chumma really doesn't seem to have that personality, seems like a more laid back dude which of course has it's pros and cons

Chuma just doesn’t have the alpha dog in him ... yet.  When DP starts playing, I’m afraid Chuma might shrink a bit more.  Chuma will still have some games this year where he’ll be the man however.  Next year he will explode.

our big guys just didn’t have it.  Of course Dayton had something to do with that.  Yet another game where we win and learn.  Don’t know if Dayton will be a tourney team but that was a solid win against a solid team.

last night is kinda what I thought doughty would be.  Did a bit of everything and seemed all over the court.  He won’t score like mustapha but he’ll play better D and will be an integral glue piece.

we are right at the borderline of where Wiley is about to start getting those minutes from A-Mac.  He’s been a little off his game the last few.

mccormick had some great minutes last night.  Well ... maybe good minutes with a couple great moments.  Him at the 1 and Harper at the 2 was cool.  We tried that some with Mitchell last year and I don’t recall it looking as good as it did last night.

This was a good game for the team it showed our strengths and weaknesses.  We play tough defense but have lapses as multiple teams have had large number of turnovers while still hitting good three point percentages. We live or die by the three. Out most gifted player Chuma is to passive, at times our bigs get lazy on the boards and don't block out well. Doughty is showing his versatility as a long armed defender, who can pass, and hit the three at times and actually can handle the ball to an extent. Our guards can score against anybody and Harper is one of the best PG's in the Country.

This team even when not playing well in stretches always bust their butts off which will give them an opportunity to win bad games. The positives out weigh the negatives and the negatives can be addressed as the season goes on.  Rebounding is strange with this team against some of the better teams we have played we held our own rebounding but against Dayton a team where we were longer we did not do as well. This is something that can be addressed and I am sure Bruce will address.

I don't know if we will make it to final 4 as some are predicting but I do know this is a very good team that plays hard and that I love watching after so many years of less than stellar Basketball on the Plains that is good enough for me but boy would I be tickled to see a final 4 team. I still need to see us play away games with hostile crowds that is the final test. All this without Purifoy. I am excited about Auburn Basketball.

Doughty had maybe his most versatile game since coming here, what he showed today, Lance Stephenson Jr., was why I hoped he could be a positive commodity offensively. Good creativity with the rock, ability to take someone off the dribble in ISO, but still see the floor decently enough. I think he has better vision than Bryce (not knocking BB) which has to be a necessity when you aren't as gifted with the ability to shoot or find a soft spot in the zone. 

Every time I see big mac or little mac take a three I dont even slightly expect it to go in, they just don't have consistent form and more than anything, they mentally rush shots. Usually when you see Auburn go into a shooting slump, it's due to multiple guys mentally throwing up shots before they need to or are ready (ofc better to be early than late when going against 6 ft+ matchups), happens with Bryce pretty often, who has a golden shooting form for the most part. Chuma has a good mental timer on when to release for a big man, but he isn't left alone like those two for good reason. I say you have to at least shoot sometimes to keep a defender honest, just not as much as they did tonight. Otherwise a great offensive night that bailed out what could've been our most porous defensive half of the season 

This is as strong as goat's milk. 

Doughty filled the stat sheet with eight points, 10 rebounds, six assists and four steals.

Being a factor on both ends of the floor.

Some random thoughts from watching the game last night, in no particular order:

I loved our blitzkrieg defense in the first half.  We can frequently cause periods of absolute havoc for opposing offenses.  At one point early in the game, Dayton had 5 turnovers in 6 total possessions.

I'm sick of seeing Spencer and McClemore shoot 3-pointers.  Hell, I'm sick of seeing so many 3-pointers from the other players as well, but that's Pearl's style, and is part of what makes him a player's coach.  HOWEVER, he can be a player's coach and still limit 3-point shooting to the shooters.  Besides, when our center is shooting a low-percentage shot like a 3-pointer, he's by default nowhere near the damn basket to help rebound that almost-assuredly missed shot.

We were not tough last night in the 2nd half.  We got senselessly out-rebounded during some stretches.

Doughty is improving, and I'm starting to see some of the so-called "Swiss Army Knife" diversity in his game.  However, as I stated in another post a couple weeks ago, he is not yet anywhere near spelling Moustapha Heron.  But I'm very interested to see how he will improve, and how he might eventually be able to help us in ways that Heron could not.

I miss DeSean Murray.  A lot.  He would have made us tougher on the boards last night.

J'Von McCormick is improving.  I've been hoping to see that, and was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen.

I can't wait to see Danjel Purifoy play.  Maybe he will improve our 3-point shooting, and make us tougher as well.

Chuma Okeke is not an aggressive player by nature.  He's just not.  And I'm not sure Pearl can pressure him into becoming one without stunting his game in other ways.  He's an Andre Igoudala, not a Ben Wallace.

I'm afraid that our "bad habit of playing to the level of our competition" isn't just a bad habit.  I don't believe we're quite as good (yet) as we're being given credit for.  I think we may be in for a rather unpleasant surprise when the conference schedule grind begins in January, based upon our periodic lack of toughness and tendency to throw up too many ill-advised 3-pointers.  But I think we'll see our weaknesses and adapt over time.

We need to ESTABLISH a low-post presence, instead of just giving it some cursory attention every now and then.  Wiley could become a monster if Pearl would make it an emphasis.  But doing so would diminish the number of Pearl's beloved 3-point attempts, so I'm not holding my breath.

I've never been one to wear rose-colored glasses, and I see some blemishes that are easy to overlook given that we've vastly improved since Pearl's arrival.  We used to be judged by how we compared to the bottom of the barrel.  But Pearl has put us in the position of being judged by how we compare to the top of the barrel, where even small blemishes can have large impact.

But I'm sure glad we're finally in that position.  It beats the hell out of where we were.

My predictions:

1. We'll finish either 1st or 2nd in the regular season SEC race.

2. We'll finish either 1st or 2nd in the SEC Tournament.

3. We'll make (at least) the NCAA Sweet 16.  And an Elite 8 appearance isn't a stretch.

I’ll only bring it up one more time then I’ll stop because what’s done is done but.....damn, Davion Mitchell really could have helped us this year. 10-15 quality minutes from the point while Harper gets to rest would be nice. Right now at least there is a HUGE drop off when he sits. I think he’s our most irreplaceable player, for now.

12 minutes ago, fredst said:

I’ll only bring it up one more time then I’ll stop because what’s done is done but.....damn, Davion Mitchell really could have helped us this year. 10-15 quality minutes from the point while Harper gets to rest would be nice. Right now at least there is a HUGE drop off when he sits. I think he’s our most irreplaceable player, for now.

Yes.  I miss Mitchell.  Can you imagine if we had the 3 transfers we lost?

Heron, Murray, and Mitchell could form the core of an NCAA Tournament team.

Pearl said the Mitchell transfer surprised him the most.  He said he never saw it coming.

13 minutes ago, fredst said:

No doubt. If we lost Harper for any reason I can already see everybody being mad at me because I wouldn't think we had any hope. I know it's a team game and people could give me all the cliches they want but to be blunt all players aren't equal. He's the one person on the team we couldn't be without

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

No doubt. If we lost Harper for any reason I can already see everybody being mad at me because I wouldn't think we had any hope. I know it's a team game and people could give me all the cliches they want but to be blunt all players aren't equal. He's the one person on the team we couldn't be without

Absolutely he's the most valuable player on our team.  Maybe not the best, but the most valuable.

And hell, maybe he's the best as well.

10 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

This is as strong as goat's milk. 

Doughty filled the stat sheet with eight points, 10 rebounds, six assists and four steals.

Being a factor on both ends of the floor.

The assists made me wonder if he might be a better backup at point than McCormick right now. We've got to get Harper off the court for a few minutes each half without such a big drop in production. 

i was thrilled at doughty's performance against dayton.....you could tell he was frustrated at some of the unsound and wild stuff that was going on....sonny brought it up that he was beginning to look like a leader and was trying to get them to run their offense instead of jacking up 3's.....sonny and rod were frustrated,also....i am happy because his performance in maui was still stuck in my head

I swear Wiley should be getting way more post feeds than he is. I can forgive most of the other stuff, but our guys are scared to make the entry pass at times and that annoys me. He needs a minimum of 10 shots a game IMO. I know he's not the most polished down there but everything will open up so much more if we even attempt to establish him down low because he's such a load. And it'll cause more foul trouble for our opponent. 

Seems we have a hard time getting it to him without the other team getting a hand in there.  Not to mention Wiley seemed to have the most TO’s last game.  More like he’s unsure and jittery.  To your point ... the more opportunities he gets the better he’ll get.

Archived