men vs Dayton Preview/Review

gravejd

Tonight at 8:30est. Should be a tough game. Dayton had lost 3 in a row before a 30+ point win last time out against some not very good team. That 3 game losing streak was against Virginia, Oklahoma, and miss state which are all 3 really good teams. Each loss was somewhere around the 10 point range so they were in the game.

I watched some of the Oklahoma game. Dayton plays a slow it down kind of game. They look big and athletic at all the positions. In the Oklahoma game they had some problems scoring in the second half going dry for long periods of time. But that venue looked odd. Like some arena converted to a basketball court. So that could have played into the shooting problems. 

I noticed auburn played a little slow against UNCash the other night and I wonder if that might have been intentional to prepare for Dayton’s style. We’ll try to push the pace I’m sure but maybe pearl wanted us to practice our half court set just in case we can’t dictate pace. 

Game will probably come down to how well AU plays D and if we can get offensive rebounds to get more shots then them. Or if we hit our 3s we’ll probably win comfortably. I don’t think Dayton can score with us if we are hitting shots. If we aren’t it’ll be a grind it out game and could go either way. I’m looking forward to see how we handle the physicality. 

Breaks over and back to the real games! Hope  JwgreDeux is able to provide his breakdown as well. But he hadn’t gotten to it yet and I’m excited for the game 😂 War Eagle!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Game will probably come down to how well AU plays D and if we can get offensive rebounds to get more shots then them. Or if we hit our 3s we’ll probably win comfortably. I

D usually works pretty hard but we can't continue shooting 40+/-% from the field and keep wining against better competition.    Our 3 point shooting seems to have cooled off after the first few games when we came out hitting everything.....not as much lately though.     

I’m expecting another beatdown of over 20pts. No one waltzes into The Clam this season and gets out without getting bloodied.

lLast game we have to see Danjel cheering from the bench too. Oh yeah. The fun is about to really start next weekend 

• ellitor changed the title to Auburn vs Dayton Preview
Just now, ellitor said:

AU favored by 15 FWIW.

Wow that is pretty high. I’ll be very pleased if that’s what we cover that

40 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I was very surprised at that line. Thought it would be more like 7 or 8.

It's their first true road game of the season, they have lost 3 of their last 4, & betters are factoring in how AU usually plays at home. 7-8 would have been too low.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I's their first true road game of the season, they have lost 3 of their last 4, & betters are factoring in how AU usually plays at home. 7-8 would have been too low.

i think they played virginia on the road....i'll check

cbs/scout schedule says they played on the road at va.

26 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

i think they played virginia on the road....i'll check

cbs/scout schedule says they played on the road at va.

CBS schedule pages don't show when games are at a neutral site. The Virginia game was at the Battle For Atlantis Tourney in the Bahamas. I use ESPN to check schedules because they will tell you if a game is a neutral site game.

30 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

espn shows neutral site listing, so it was in a tourney then

If you click on the score of that game from an ESPN page it will say Battle For Atlantis in Bahamas.

Other than going to Auburn's Scout page to get info from Mark Murphy & Jason Caldwell on AU related topics Scout is useless now-a-days.

Going to have to set up a second screen with the United game going on at the same time as this one.

Dayton is going to test us in a different way than we have been tested this season. They get virtually all of their points inside the 3point arc and will force the ball inside or dribble drive. Toppin is a load at 6-8 220 and is very efficient. They will test our interior defenders, who must stay out of foul trouble. I think we will look to press them and use a lot of perimeter ball pressure to speed them up and disrupt their interior game. Every turnover vs a team like Dayton is ever more valuable, or costly, due to the pace they like to play. So we need to limit our own turnovers while continuing to force them like we have all season. Another area where I think we have a chance to exploit them is rebounding. So far they have not been a very good rebounding team and like turnovers, with their slower pace, every rebound is worth more. 

Bruce Pearl knows Anthony Grant's style pretty well, and I think we have a good chance to run them out of the gym. However, if we force bad shots, shoot a low percentage and are not able to get them out of their slow pace, we could be in for a fight. 

If we do end up in a half court style game, I'd like to see us run the O through Okeke more often.  His touches have to increase as our schedule gets tougher. Will be interesting to see what CBP does with the rotation as we continue to prepare for Purifoy's return. 

War Eagle!

We'll see how it goes but nobody should be able to slow us down unless they have an all American at center or an all American at point. Or if we let them get lanes to drive and draw fouls. That's what happened to us against Xavier and Duke. 

And they would have to play a very efficient game as far as not committing any turnovers and shooting something above 50% from the field. It's much easier to speed a team up as opposed to try to slow a team down. 

6 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

man this mentally weak team plays some good defense 

Seriously, WTF is your problem? Your incessant need to be a passive aggressive prick is beyond tiredsome.  I have told you multiple times to stop. Continue once more and you will have a long vacation from AUFamily.

3 minutes ago, chimes said:

Who called this team mentally weak?

No one. Some just struggle with comprehension

7 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

man this mentally weak team plays some good defense 

Leaving off the editorial comment at the bottom😒...... that’s a pretty incredible stat. I mean we’ve played some patsies but we’ve played some good teams too. TV coverage tonight.....?

Archived