Softball Transfer Rules/Oregon Ducks

As an update regarding Oregon.  Their program has experienced a continued exodus of players, two of whom left the program this week.  Current roster with 14 players with half being freshman. Two sophomore LHP.  Don't know the root cause of the defections.  Coach Lombardi seems like a nice enough person from times I have seen her interviewed. This has a bit uncomfortable to watch (unless you are an Oregon State fan).  I believe we are aware that coaching transitions can be uncomfortable.  AU plays them March 1.  Saw an article that suggested the coach Lombardi may have to search the campus for girls with travel team experience.  

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:08 PM, 4WDE said:

If you don't like the amount or percentage offer you get from a school, then don't take it.  

Bet this is not an option for most players who take what they can get. ...anything is better than nothing I guess.  Seems that the softball scholarship situation is only slightly better the preferred walkon for football.   Schools have little incentive to give more than 1/4th scholarships for incoming students. 

The scholarship situation for baseball and softball is very poor in my view and free agency is OK to me. 

11 hours ago, slot canyon said:

As an update regarding Oregon.  Their program has experienced a continued exodus of players, two of whom left the program this week.  Current roster with 14 players with half being freshman. Two sophomore LHP.  Don't know the root cause of the defections.  Coach Lombardi seems like a nice enough person from times I have seen her interviewed. This has a bit uncomfortable to watch (unless you are an Oregon State fan).  I believe we are aware that coaching transitions can be uncomfortable.  AU plays them March 1.  Saw an article that suggested the coach Lombardi may have to search the campus for girls with travel team experience.  

Who were the most recent departees?  UCS forum is currently disabled.

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Who were the most recent departees?  UCS forum is currently disabled.

1st baseman Mia Camuso and outfielder  Alexis Mack left this week. Outfielder Haley Cruse is the only starter from last year still with the team.

Just wow!  That's a total of nine players who have opted to leave.  These are not second-stringers or utility players.  Mack started all 62 games last year, and hit .369.  Camuso hit .319.  Mack has stated she is sitting out the 2019 season and using the transfer portal for the 2020 season.

19 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Just wow!  That's a total of nine players who have opted to leave.  These are not second-stringers or utility players.  Mack started all 62 games last year, and hit .369.  Camuso hit .319.  Mack has stated she is sitting out the 2019 season and using the transfer portal for the 2020 season.

If anyone from the former staff would have surfaced at another school (and the current transfer rule), it would not have been shocking to have seen this type of exodus (or more) at AU.

Wondering if anyone other the affected schools cares about this.  This is basically a non- revenue sport at many schools so can't see the issue generating attention from NCAA.

The scholarship situation is pitiful compared to the big revenue sports.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Wondering if anyone other the affected schools cares about this.  This is basically a non- revenue sport at many schools so can't see the issue generating attention from NCAA.

About those ridiculous scholarship limits on baseball and softball: I saw a very frank discussion a year or so ago about that on one of the cable channels. The head commentator's final statement was :"Baseball and softball are too white, too middle class. The NCAA will not increase the numbers for that reason alone".

You have to think about that one for a while, but I can see how he might have been correct. College softball is becoming more integrated, that's obvious. With baseball, regardless of race, the pros rake off most of the top prospects every year with immediate paychecks. Money in the pocket can be hard to turn down so I don't know if that will ever change.

I think the NCAA is concerned that they don't create a situation where a school could buy a championship team by hiring an elite coach at a greatly increased salary, who would then bring multiple elite players with him.  It seems unlikely to me, though; the current situations at Oregon and aTm seem to be special cases.  

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I think the NCAA is concerned that they don't create a situation where a school could buy a championship team by hiring an elite coach at a greatly increased salary, who would then bring multiple elite players with him.  It seems unlikely to me, though; the current situations at Oregon and aTm seem to be special cases.  

I don;t know enough about the "situation" at either place.....but as mikey notes, the sport is not going to get much oversight attention from the NCAA since it does not make any money for …..well....for anyone. 

So,  JMO, a championship is not much of a national issue.  Even if an incoming elite coach is hired, that coach has to figure out what to do with the existing roster of players before bringing in a bunch of new players...….now mistreat the existing players and I expect some folks will become concerned.  

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:20 AM, AU64 said:

Some of the SEC softball teams seem to be more "non-revenue" than others.  AU started charging and selling season tickets I believe in 2016.  They also have the On Deck Club with various membership levels ($100 - $1,000) and those monies go to Tigers Unlimited.  I believe reserved chair back season tickets are $125 (not positive about this) and bleacher reserved $75.  Florida season tickets $150 -$200.  They just completed a $11M renovation.    Bama chairback $150, Bleacher $85.  LSU chair back $100.  Kentucky reserved $75, general admission $50.  Neither of the Mississippi SEC schools charge for softball game admissions.  While softball does not pay for itself, some schools do put some $ in the pot.  I suppose there is some money to be made off of concessions and gear that may be sold at games.  

5 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Some of the SEC softball teams seem to be more "non-revenue" than others.  AU started charging and selling season tickets I believe in 2016.  They also have the On Deck Club with various membership levels ($100 - $1,000) and those monies go to Tigers Unlimited.  I believe reserved chair back season tickets are $125 (not positive about this) and bleacher reserved $75.  Florida season tickets $150 -$200.  They just completed a $11M renovation.    Bama chairback $150, Bleacher $85.  LSU chair back $100.  Kentucky reserved $75, general admission $50.  Neither of the Mississippi SEC schools charge for softball game admissions.  While softball does not pay for itself, some schools do put some $ in the pot.  I suppose there is some money to be made off of concessions and gear that may be sold at games.  

Yes....nice the see the sport has progressed to the point that most schools can charge admission to the games...and teams can help cover their costs....but just looking where the HC salaries have gone in the past couple years I bet there are not more than one or two programs that can even cover the HC's salary...much less travel, facility maintenance and scholarships.  

I view college softball as one of the last amateur sports at the college level.....which thus far,  has not been polluted by outside big money and influence peddlers. .

When it rains it pours.  Oregon has now had a transfer player (a catcher they were depending on) declared ineligible and another to suffer an ACL injury.  Now down to 12 players most of whom have little to no starting experience on the college level.  This has been painful to watch.

15 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

When it rains it pours.  Oregon has now had a transfer player (a catcher they were depending on) declared ineligible and another to suffer an ACL injury.  Now down to 12 players most of whom have little to no starting experience on the college level.  This has been painful to watch.

Bet NCAA or someone is looking at what is going on there....

28 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

May have to send my daughters recruiting info to the Ducks.  Looks like they'd be in the marked for a JUCO Catcher/3B.  :jossun:

Catchers and everything else.....a good school but something more than just a new coach is going on...JMO.... transferring is a pretty big move to express dissatisfaction. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Bet NCAA or someone is looking at what is going on there....

Don't think it is an NCAA issue but you know that someone like ESPN is looking to do a story on this.  Writers, broadcasters and forum posters point fingers in multiple directions...….the old coach, the new coach, the players, the Athletic Director.....   the catcher, McGowen, apparently was not granted a release to transfer as it would be a transfer within the conference.  I believe the injured player was the only returning starter.  Current 12 player roster has 7 freshmen and 3 sophomores.  Another team that has been impacted by transfers is Arizona State.  They have lost 5 players since the end of last season.  Auburn had 3 players go to another team after last season: Bilodeau, Olszewski and Schiele.  

30 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Texas A&M also lost 5 players to the transfer process, mostly starters.

ouch…..guess every one has their own reasons but that's a major bail out.  Would be interesting to know where they went...in  mass or to various schools.   

Are some schools/coaches subtly recruiting active players from other DIv 1 schools by means of contacts with travel ball coaches or other ways?     This much movement seems more than just coincidental.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

ouch…..guess every one has their own reasons but that's a major bail out.  Would be interesting to know where they went...in  mass or to various schools.   

Are some schools/coaches subtly recruiting active players from other DIv 1 schools by means of contacts with travel ball coaches or other ways?     This much movement seems more than just coincidental.

Recruiting never stops, regardless of rules.

45 minutes ago, 4WDE said:

Recruiting never stops, regardless of rules.

sounds a bit like that is what is happening.   A school looks to have problems internally and the sharks gather around huh?  

8 hours ago, AU64 said:

Samantha Show went to Oklahoma State.  Keely Milligan and Sarah Hudek went to Louisiana.  Don't remember the other two right off.  There were rumors on another board about an event within the Aggie program that precipitated the exodus, but I don't have enough factual info to post that here.  I believe I'm factual in stating that Show's boyfriend plays baseball at OSU, no doubt influencing her choice.

38 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Samantha Show went to Oklahoma State.  Keely Milligan and Sarah Hudek went to Louisiana.  Don't remember the other two right off.  There were rumors on another board about an event within the Aggie program that precipitated the exodus, but I don't have enough factual info to post that here.  I believe I'm factual in stating that Show's boyfriend plays baseball at OSU, no doubt influencing her choice.

Maddie MacGrandle actually transferred from A&M to Oregon. Otherwise, the Ducks would only have 1 pitcher right now.

Oregon has been picked to finish last in PAC 12 by the PAC 12 coaches poll.  They have added 5 walk on players including a pitcher.  With their high visibility, I can see them becoming an "underdog sweetheart" for a lot of fans like Prairie View in football in the 1990's. To her credit,  I have not heard Coach Lombardi complain or make excuses.  The focus is to get ready for the season with the team she has. 

On 1/30/2019 at 7:22 AM, slot canyon said:

Oregon won their two games today against Cal State-Northridge and Kansas by a combined score of 26-10, committing no errors in the process.  Obviously, their pitching staff has been decimated, accounting for the 10 runs given up; but offense and fielding seem to be OK.

Archived