August 2019

musicitytiger

15 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

I HATE that I feel this way.  It's just too much, too tentacled.  It is RARE that I can't "keep on the sunny side."  I just can't ignore reality and pattern.  My sunny side is a genuine belief that "it's always darkest before the dawn."  Philosophically, hitting rock bottom for an individual or for an organization can often catalyze redemption, speaking outside of football, of course, as well.  That's my sunny 2 cents.  My other is "musicity"...LOVE THAT PLACE!

The problem is we JUST hit that place in 2012 and had the pieces in 2013 and 2014 to forget about it forever. This team shouldnever regress to 2015, 2016, 2018 levels. I'm ok with and can wrap my head around losing to a better team, but that's not what's happening. And that's on the coaching.

17 hours ago, abw0004 said:

It was this way in 2016 before we went on our run and then most of the posters you see now disappeared.  Just the way of the world.  

Yeah when there is less to bitch about, people bitch less.  Amazing I know.

12 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

The problem is we JUST hit that place in 2012 and had the pieces in 2013 and 2014 to forget about it forever. This team shouldnever regress to 2015, 2016, 2018 levels. I'm ok with and can wrap my head around losing to a better team, but that's not what's happening. And that's on the coaching.

This has been my biggest issue over the entire Gus experiment. Even in our best years, our big wins seemed to be from insane plays or because the other team played terribly. Our losses have been utter incompetence. Just hot garbage. I'm perfectly fine losing games where both teams look like they put it all out there and the better team won. I cannot handle losing by looking unprepared and with a stubborn gameplan.

My apathy derives from the  incompetence of the head coach (how can one lose track of the number of games played by one of your better Freshman players). It is one thing to lose games because the other team was just better due to more quality players. But that is not the case with Auburn. Auburn loses games despite the overall quality of the team, not because of it.

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Yeah when there is less to bitch about, people bitch less.  Amazing I know.

You have been on this forum long enough to know that there are people that will complain no matter what, good or bad.  And there are other people that will only come on the forum to complain and are no where to be seen when there is success on the field.  

It would be nice if folks understood that just because you are angry with a worthless coaches doesn’t in anyway deflect from ones love for AU. In fact it would be my belief that those fans that refuse to allow Gus , Leath and the Bot to make AU look foolish are actually the true Auburn lovers, those that want to skate right by the wreck and not try to help or push for corrections are the ones that I question their loyalty to AU. Just think almost every coach that has come through Auburn has had some good success. The logical reason is “because” it’s Auburn. Auburn is a great place. A run of the mill coach could do well here. A lot of kids come here( see Bo Nix) because it’s Auburn. He wouldn’t care who the coach was. So when I see a goofball like Gus come in here and totally ruin the program because he can’t get over his ego, or someone like Leath that is just here to pad his pocket and take what he can get before he is run out like at Iowa St. then I get ill . If you just want to help yourself then go elsewhere and leave AU alone. Don’t for a minute believe Gus has accomplished something at AU that most any other coach could not do. So please if you don’t have anything to say other than your ok with this failure coach, save it for someone else.

22 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

Just before the season starts, dyou think this board will still be this negative?  Can’t say I’ve ever seen it this bad

I'll get back with you in August when we know who will be on the team and who has left. If a lot of these players like Davidson and Coe leave, I'll have a hard time being optimistic.

8 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

No. It will not stop being negative as long as we keep seeing the same crap over and over. Which means it won't stop until a new staff is in place. The relationship is fractured. Its beyond the point of repair.

Also, you think its bad now, just wait until we start 2-4 next season. There will most likely be blood in the water by October 5th.

I agree. We have now lost a potential very good TB due to an inept offensive coaching staff. It will be the same thing next season. Gus has been digging his own grave for three years now. Last year was not really that special if you ponder it. He will likely never get another high profile head coaching job after AU. Something in his DNA just doesn't translate to a major head coaching job and it is the players and fans who will pay for it for years to come if the program continues to just spin around and around circling a funnel drain. AU is not capable of hiring true coaches and letting them run the program. There is always too much meddling from boosters and others like an idiot for a President handing out ridiculous contracts. Plenty of the schools that are in and remain in the top 10 every year have figured it out, just not us. It's a clown show and all of college football knows it.  

It’s fine really.  Nothing to get riled up about.  Gus has proven, beyond any doubt, that he isn’t capable of being a consistent winner.  He’ll ride this thing out for another year (I’m guessing 5-7 or 6-6) and we’ll be breaking in a new coach this time next year.   I hope we’ll turn the corner and have a successful program (this same administration hired Bruce, so it’s possible).  If not, that’s ok.  We will eventually be on top again.  Because we’re Auburn.   Things are bad right now, but that just means things will be looking up in the future.  #patience

So, here is what I don’t get about our fans or this board. I completely understand that some want to see the positive side of things. And thats great. I don’t begrudge them of that. In fact its probably necessary for balance. But why come on here and just bitch at those of us who are frustrated? This is a message board. I’m part of a few in different sports and mostly people go there to vent. If all we did was just show up and say things are peachy then what’s the point? Now, I agree that certainly there are times when it goes overboard but so does the sunshine pumping. Things are bad right now.  No maybe not Auburn historically bad like Barfield but they are bad. And its not all Gus’s fault. But the on the field issues are certainly his fault. Take away a tipped miracle pass and a once in a lifetime returned FG attempt and what is Gus?? If everyone is honest with themselves you know the answer already. But keep pumping sunshine if that makes you feel better, I certainly think you have that right on a message board. Just like those of us who know whats coming next year have that same right to complain.  WDE.

17 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

It would be nice if folks understood that just because you are angry with a worthless coaches doesn’t in anyway deflect from ones love for AU. In fact it would be my belief that those fans that refuse to allow Gus , Leath and the Bot to make AU look foolish are actually the true Auburn lovers, those that want to skate right by the wreck and not try to help or push for corrections are the ones that I question their loyalty to AU. Just think almost every coach that has come through Auburn has had some good success. The logical reason is “because” it’s Auburn. Auburn is a great place. A run of the mill coach could do well here. A lot of kids come here( see Bo Nix) because it’s Auburn. He wouldn’t care who the coach was. So when I see a goofball like Gus come in here and totally ruin the program because he can’t get over his ego, or someone like Leath that is just here to pad his pocket and take what he can get before he is run out like at Iowa St. then I get ill . If you just want to help yourself then go elsewhere and leave AU alone. Don’t for a minute believe Gus has accomplished something at AU that most any other coach could not do. So please if you don’t have anything to say other than your ok with this failure coach, save it for someone else.

I agree with much of what you just posted. But there reaches a point where fans have to focus on the real problem instead of falling for the smoke and mirrors. I get being mad at Gus, I really do, but Gus is just a symptom at this point. He is not going to change and to dwell on it is a waste of time. We have to ask ourselves, is he really the main problem at Auburn ? I would say no. There is a much larger issue that fans need to focus on if they want to help Auburn. The one constant in all of this is the BOT.

THEY are the ones who approved crazy contracts over the years, hired Leath, approved the current Gus contract, wanted to fire him, didn't want to pay a buyout already agreed to, used media leaks to try to reduce it, decided not to fire him, sidelined the AD, have refused for decades to make much needed improvements to football facilities regardless of who the coach might be. All of this is damaging to Auburn football and none of it is the proper way to do business. So unless something improves at the very highest levels it's not going to get any better. It is what it is unfortunately.    

I have been searching for a silver lining and here it is.  Top to bottom we have a very talented roster.  The one thing Gus has done well is recruit.  The O line certainly had its problems this year but they were getting better toward the end of the season.  They will be better next year.  The whole group pretty much had to unlearn all the bad habits they got from Hand.  We have some great looking receivers and some talented RB’s.  The defense is sound at every position.  The punter is very good and the place kicker is young.  He had his problems on the long kicks this year but is a good bet to improve.  We really don’t know what we have at QB but we know we have the #1 dual threat guy in the nation who will be an early enrollee.  So let’s say this thing blows up in CGM’s face next year and he’s gone.  When we get a good coach in 2020 the cupboard is not going to be bare.  He is going to have a very talented roster to work with and a good defensive staff.  So even if things go bad next year I still think the future is bright.  I agree about the facilities and that is hopefully where the new AD can help.  No one trusted JJ to do something that made sense and now he is gone so it is a new day there too.  

2 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I have been searching for a silver lining and here it is.  Top to bottom we have a very talented roster.  The one thing Gus has done well is recruit.  The O line certainly had its problems this year but they were getting better toward the end of the season.  They will be better next year.  The whole group pretty much had to unlearn all the bad habits they got from Hand.  We have some great looking receivers and some talented RB’s.  The defense is sound at every position.  The punter is very good and the place kicker is young.  He had his problems on the long kicks this year but is a good bet to improve.  We really don’t know what we have at QB but we know we have the #1 dual threat guy in the nation who will be an early enrollee.  So let’s say this thing blows up in CGM’s face next year and he’s gone.  When we get a good coach in 2020 the cupboard is not going to be bare.  He is going to have a very talented roster to work with and a good defensive staff.  So even if things go bad next year I still think the future is bright.  I agree about the facilities and that is hopefully where the new AD can help.  No one trusted JJ to do something that made sense and now he is gone so it is a new day there too.  

I seriously hope most of what you say here is correct.  I agree the right guy could turn this around pretty quick.  But time is slipping away and things are not going to improve under the current coaches.  Auburn football is like rehab: you gotta hit rock bottom before it changes for the better.  Gus has come close but still hasn't hit it yet.  Who was the last head football coach we fired that didn't have a losing record the year he was fired?  Maybe Gus will break that trend.

Archived