Bentley

NorthGATiger

Just now, bigbird said:

Most of those substitutions are receivers rotating in and out.  All of the players can run all of the plays. You don't see personnel packages based on plays. That would be simplistic and ridiculous

That could be right but just watching the Panthers, you know who's gonna get the ball most of the time....and it's RBs as well as receivers.  BUT, knowing who is gonna get the ball...and where he is going with it is not the same thing perhaps.     For example, you knew if Olsen was going into the game, the ball was coming to him....no ifs, ands or buts....and same for a few others on sweeps......but maybe that's just the Panthers?  .   :dunno:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That could be right but just watching the Panthers, you know who's gonna get the ball most of the time....and it's RBs as well as receivers.  BUT, knowing who is gonna get the ball...and where he is going with it is not the same thing perhaps.     For example, you knew if Olsen was going into the game, the ball was coming to him....no ifs, ands or buts....and same for a few others on sweeps......but maybe that's just the Panthers?  .   :dunno:

Let's look at the college game.  Look at Bama...when Tua drops back, do you know where the ball is going? What about UGA when Swift is in, do you know if it's a pass or run?

Now look at AU, when Cox and Shed are in the game at the same time, do you think it's a run or pass?  What if R. Davis is split wide with Sal in the slot...What play do you think that's gonna be?  We tip our hand based on personnel and formations.

Other schools utilize the same players in multiple formations which makes it infinitely more difficult to defend

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Let's look at the college game.  Look at Bama...when Tua drops back, do you know where the ball is going? What about UGA when Swift is in, do you know if it's a pass or run?

Now look at AU, when Cox and Shed are in the game at the same time, do you think it's a run or pass?  What if R. Davis is split wide with Sal in the slot...What play do you think that's gonna be?  We tip our hand based on personnel and formations.

Other schools utilize the same players in multiple formations which makes it infinitely more difficult to defend

Well that's because JS will rarely get past his first option....if Davis is in the game, it's pretty sure the ball will be going to him...not to mention that he usually stares down his receiver too.... but I know what you mean....

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Yep!

This is also a reason why Ellis Johnson & Cheese Harbison were brought on board and of course let's not forget Lance Thompson - Gus needed experienced coaches on defense and the recruiting front as well.  Extrapolate that on out to Kevin Steele.......'Cause high school ain't college and Arkansas State dang sure ain't Auburn.

Then should he be your head coach? It’s one thing if you have like a Barry Alvarez as your AD with a walth of coaching experience , but there seems to be people with less coaching experience than Gus trying to call the shots . If this is the case then hire a coach with a wealth of experience . It’s one thing to recommend . It’s another to force someone into something. 

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

Then should he be your head coach? It’s one thing if you have like a Barry Alvarez as your AD with a walth of coaching experience , but there seems to be people with less coaching experience than Gus trying to call the shots . If this is the case then hire a coach with a wealth of experience . It’s one thing to recommend . It’s another to force someone into something. 

But we didn't hire a coach with a wealth of experience or even a mentor he could fall back on - we hired a guy a few years removed from HS coaching who cut his teeth as an SEC OC under Houston freakin Nutt, a guy with one year HC experience at Arky State. 

The SEC is a different animal, Gus came in on training wheels with daddy (Jay Jacobs & others) standing close behind the bike holding on to the seat until this year where he was let go on his own with training wheels removed.

He simply had to be meddled with, watched like a hawk, guided, and counseled because the man had few coaching connections to draw from and zero connections relative management of a defense.  

In this conference/division you've got to have some alpha dogs to fill out your staff to succeed.  We have a 28 yr old OC with 1 yr experience at Memphis where he didn't even call the plays (and won't be calling them at AU) and a 60+ yr old DC who's been around a long time, knows the ropes, etc.  So we've got one extreme to the other on both sides of the ball with neither equal to the OC/DC's some of our main rivals have - AND we have a HC with serious trust issues who's flipped flopped back and forth between a CEO type HC or a hands on OC type.  ;D

25 minutes ago, keesler said:

But we didn't hire a coach with a wealth of experience or even a mentor he could fall back on - we hired a guy a few years removed from HS coaching who cut his teeth as an SEC OC under Houston freakin Nutt, a guy with one year HC experience at Arky State. 

The SEC is a different animal, Gus came in on training wheels with daddy (Jay Jacobs & others) standing close behind the bike holding on to the seat until this year where he was let go on his own with training wheels removed.

He simply had to be meddled with, watched like a hawk, guided, and counseled because the man had few coaching connections to draw from and zero connections relative management of a defense.  

In this conference/division you've got to have some alpha dogs to fill out your staff to succeed.  We have a 28 yr old OC with 1 yr experience at Memphis where he didn't even call the plays (and won't be calling them at AU) and a 60+ yr old DC who's been around a long time, knows the ropes, etc.  So we've got one extreme to the other on both sides of the ball with neither equal to the OC/DC's some of our main rivals have - AND we have a HC with serious trust issues who's flipped flopped back and forth between a CEO type HC or a hands on OC type.  ;D

I get that. My point is why hire that coach, if you are going to undermine him continuously. As much as I give Gus crap, the brass we have is absolutely no better. I mean if you feel like you have to watch this guy like a hawk , would you feel the need to hire him? 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I get that. My point is why hire that coach, if you are going to undermine him continuously. As much as I give Gus crap, the brass we have is absolutely no better. I mean if you feel like you have to watch this guy like a hawk , would you feel the need to hire him? 

Answer: JJ.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I do the same sometimes.  Hire someone i can control/manipulate vs someone strong that is gonna do it his way and fight my input.   It is not healthy but I get it.  

13 hours ago, keesler said:

Spot on.  Piss poor hire from the word go.  Gus has almost zero experience with running a college football program, much less one the size and intensity of Auburn.

Dude needs to go back to the SunBelt and learn some things.  I don't blame Gus though, I blame Jacobs for making his #1 Priority in Hiring:  "Are you a good Christian?"

Jay Jacobs (and his puppeteers) set AU back a decade or 2.

12 hours ago, DAG said:

ThisisAuburn2.jpg

image.png

We're talking about a guy who bought a 100" TV for his 10'x10' den.

18 hours ago, keesler said:

Talked into?  WTH?  He wasn't talked into anything, he was forced to push Lashlee out. 

Just like he was forced take himself completely out of all operations and management of the defense.  Gus didn't want Mushchamp (a former SEC HC with a strong personality) coming in but WM was pursued and hired by the PTB >>>> Thank God!   Left to his own devices can you imagine what our D would look like?  Well....probably just like the offense is right now with a weak and ineffective line, and sub-par SEC caliber skill players behind that line.

I do agree that FINALLY Gus will sink or swim on his own merits, the excuse bag mercifully emptied out after the UCF bowl loss.  This season was reflective of exactly where his program is situated and now we find Gus is once again in a position to "turn this thing around" after HE twisted it all out of shape and put it where it is now.

Do what? This isn't true. I'm not a huge Gus fan by any stretch but Gus played a huge role in getting Will. All the PTB stuff is WAY WAY over blown. 

18 hours ago, DAG said:

I think that is one of the major problems at Auburn. Too many hands in the cookie jar. I get boosters have influence every where, but this idea that people are forcing someone’s hand is problematic.

Hands in the cookie jar? Love to hear all of what has happened here. 

6 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Hands in the cookie jar? Love to hear all of what has happened here. 

You mean like forcing someone you hired for their offensive prowess to be hands off on the offense ? Or was that a lie too from our sources?

On 12/20/2018 at 9:35 AM, keesler said:

That's already one of the main problems with this freaking offense, and why everyone including my 80 yr old Aunt Gladis knows exactly what the hell we're running in every offensive series.  :banghead:

Aunt Gladis better be on the short list for DC when Steele retires thats all I know

50 minutes ago, DAG said:

You mean like forcing someone you hired for their offensive prowess to be hands off on the offense ? Or was that a lie too from our sources?

Forcing? When did this happen? Our sources? What is “our sources”? 

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Forcing? When did this happen? 

Good question.   Seems a lot of "conventional wisdom" and rumors about what was going on in recent years with PTBs and coaching staff......without not much evidence to back it up. ...at least that's how I interpret things.     I could be wrong but I doubt Gus has done many things he was not OK doing.....just to make some PTB happy.   :dunno:

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good question.   Seems a lot of "conventional wisdom" and rumors about what was going on in recent years with PTBs and coaching staff......without not much evidence to back it up. ...at least that's how I interpret things.     I could be wrong but I doubt Gus has done many things he was not OK doing.....just to make some PTB happy.   :dunno:

Gus hasn’t been forced to do anything. Gus might have been strongly advised to do things. But forced? No. Gus has been given more power to do what he wants than any coach since Dye. With that sad you better produce. He hasn’t. 

7 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus hasn’t been forced to do anything. Gus might have been strongly advised to do things. But forced? No. Gus has been given more power to do what he wants than any coach since Dye. With that sad you better produce. He hasn’t. 

OH...I"m sure he gets lots of advice....and probably not all of it useful or beneficial.  :)

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

OH...I"m sure he gets lots of advice....and probably not all of it useful or beneficial.  :)

No, he isn’t just getting advise. He is getting “strongly adviced.”  I am sure CCL was his first choice as OC. Part of that strong advice and autonomy given to him.

22 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Do what? This isn't true. I'm not a huge Gus fan by any stretch but Gus played a huge role in getting Will. All the PTB stuff is WAY WAY over blown. 

Jacobs and Muschamp had issues the first time Will was at Auburn.  Jacobs did not want him rehired by Gus.  I don't know how involved the BOT was or has been involved in Gus's hirings. 

On 12/22/2018 at 7:05 AM, around4ever said:

Jacobs and Muschamp had issues the first time Will was at Auburn.  Jacobs did not want him rehired by Gus.  I don't know how involved the BOT was or has been involved in Gus's hirings. 

This.  JJ and Muschamp had a divorce after something happened with some tickets or something of that nature for a bowl game or something.  I'm getting too old to remember.  It is my understanding that Will would like to curb stomp JJ but there are too many people in line for him to get a turn.

On 12/20/2018 at 9:00 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Agree 100% here and 100% sure the offer was the same one Dilly got.  There was a offer to Bentley. Only person who had a offer to call the plays was Freeze. 

I don't know if Bentley calls play for USCe. Was under the impression he did not. 

I'm told by some knowledgeable folks that Bentley came close to taking the job. 

There was more speculation to Bentley than reality. He used it to his advantage as most coaches do as a ploy to gain interest and possible raise at current school. He was a good HS coach at a school that had stud athletes recruited from the upstate in SC. He left to go to PC , never won a game and has been a dud since. His usefulness was only for his step son who petered out and now Jake who is struggling. Anyone who has been around BB considers him a clown. HS coaches wont even return his phone calls. As reserved and secretive as Gus is, you think he would throw out names hes considering? Its more from the lazy "media types" throwing mud to get clicks. The best thing Will Muschamp ever did for Auburn was take that wacko with him. Now he is stuck with him until Jake graduates or gets replaced.

5 minutes ago, Builder said:

There was more speculation to Bentley than reality. He used it to his advantage as most coaches do as a ploy to gain interest and possible raise at current school. He was a good HS coach at a school that had stud athletes recruited from the upstate in SC. He left to go to PC , never won a game and has been a dud since. His usefulness was only for his step son who petered out and now Jake who is struggling. Anyone who has been around BB considers him a clown. HS coaches wont even return his phone calls. As reserved and secretive as Gus is, you think he would throw out names hes considering? Its more from the lazy "media types" throwing mud to get clicks. The best thing Will Muschamp ever did for Auburn was take that wacko with him. Now he is stuck with him until Jake graduates or gets replaced.

You are being a little bit rough on Bentley but not too much....having watched him over the years at Byrnes and PC you have him pretty well pegged.    He was a good HS coach and good recruiter at South Carolina's version of Hoover....but that's about where it ended.

Archived