Bentley

NorthGATiger

What was the social security number of your source? Were you literally holding the phone up against Gus's head? Did you clap and catch the pigeon that had the top secret note tied to it's leg? Did you read the note or was it read to you? No? I can't believe you. Now if some other poster say we are leading for a recruit or we'll make it to the playoffs that's different. They are credible. 🙄

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cole needs to go back to basketball where he has a little credibility....🙂

11 hours ago, smackydoodle said:

So after the ridiculing it would appear OP was correct? Since Gus is calling the plays?

It would appear the OP was spot on.  

Of course many will still doubt it, even with Gus taking over the play calling duties again.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

I hate you Gus.

We're fully aware.

By the way, the Bentley for OC thing?  You really think he'd leave the mother land where his son is going to be a senior captain quarterback?  C'mon man, just more of the typical bull**** reporting that's floating around.

21 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

We're fully aware.

By the way, the Bentley for OC thing?  You really think he'd leave the mother land where his son is going to be a senior captain quarterback?  C'mon man, just more of the typical bull**** reporting that's floating around.

oh-please.gif

On 12/8/2018 at 11:52 PM, doc4aday said:

I do not blame BB at all in wanting to see his son finish his football career where he is coaching. I thought it might be possible, but family should come before business in this case. I would do the same as BB if I was in the same spot.

Gus should bring in the guy from Bethel Univ. Dearmon I think is his name. He performed a miracle of sorts with a 360 turn around with that school's offense. Gus could get him for $350,000 per year for a 2 year stint or more. I doubt if he is making near that much now at that school. I will check though. Do a good job and he could gain more $$$$.

So, he took them from bad to bad?

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

We're fully aware.

You don't think that Bentley almost took the job? 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Do you think he was offered the job? 

I am sure he could’ve been offered it. 

26 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

So, he took them from bad to bad?

got it...should have been 180!

I knew Gus would be calling the plays next years. He has never turned over the offense to any OC that we've  had since with Malzahn as HC. Heck, Gus has been calling the plays for the last 3 to 4 years.

20 hours ago, DAG said:

I am sure he could’ve been offered it. 

Bently is basically a career HS coach with a couple years of college coaching his son in a mediocre offense.    He was no salvation for AU and if I were HC I would not have him calling the plays.

JMO..but anyone wanting him as play caller must never have watched USCe .   Could have been a good QB coach...but that is it.   

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Bently is basically a career HS coach with a couple years of college coaching his son in a mediocre offense.    He was no salvation for AU and if I were HC I would not have him calling the plays.

JMO..but anyone wanting him as play caller must never have watched USCe .   Could have been a good QB coach...but that is it.   

I don't know if Bentley is good at calling plays at the college level. No one really does. But Bentley is a very respected coach in college football. He will get a chance to be a OC somewhere calling plays in the future. I know for a fact that Gus was grooming Bentley to be AU's OC in the near future. Gus got pretty upset when Bentley left with Will to USCe. FWIW. 

19 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I don't know if Bentley is good at calling plays at the college level. No one really does. But Bentley is a very respected coach in college football. He will get a chance to be a OC somewhere calling plays in the future. I know for a fact that Gus was grooming Bentley to be AU's OC in the near future. Gus got pretty upset when Bentley left with Will to USCe. FWIW. 

I got the impression he was calling them at USCe....which had a very mundane offense....but in some ways he was Chip  2.0..    Still, there was no way Gus would bring him to AU to run the offense.   

But Bently is still coaching his son for one more year  and surely would not want to leave....though unfortunately for my USCe friends, his son has really not developed much since his freshman season.    The guy was/is an outstanding HS coach out of the Hoover mold....recruits well and wins championships but his time at Presbyterian was a mess.   . 

If there ever was an offer, I expect the job would have mirrored what Dillingham got.  

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I got the impression he was calling them at USCe....which had a very mundane offense....but in some ways he was Chip  2.0..    Still, there was no way Gus would bring him to AU to run the offense.   

But Bently is still coaching his son for one more year  and surely would not want to leave....though unfortunately for my USCe friends, his son has really not developed much since his freshman season.    The guy was/is an outstanding HS coach out of the Hoover mold....recruits well and wins championships but his time at Presbyterian was a mess.   . 

If there ever was an offer, I expect the job would have mirrored what Dillingham got.  

Agree 100% here and 100% sure the offer was the same one Dilly got.  There was a offer to Bentley. Only person who had a offer to call the plays was Freeze. 

I don't know if Bentley calls play for USCe. Was under the impression he did not. 

I'm told by some knowledgeable folks that Bentley came close to taking the job. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm told by some knowledgeable folks that Bentley came close to taking the job. 

I can see that.....but understand him wanting to spend another year with his son....made the right call IMO...his youngest son....coaching him is something special I am sure. 

Just now, AU64 said:

I can see that.....but understand him wanting to spend another year with his son....made the right call IMO...his youngest son....coaching him is something special I am sure. 

I agree 100% here also. I think under these circumstances AU got the best guy for the OC position. Think Dilly is a rising star. Bentley to OF would have been MEH and MEH can be. I'm excited about Dilly. Needed some new young blood on the staff. Need to get a couple more of these type. 

My main point of even posting this is that we sure are generous with our money allowing Gus to pay an OC salary to someone he does not allow to be an OC.  Furthermore if he has also removed all decisions on personnel playing in games from all Offensive coaches then we have an extremely high paid head coach with a pretty highly paid staff who is not allowed to carry out many functions of their jobs that they are being paid for.

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I agree 100% here also. I think under these circumstances AU got the best guy for the OC position. Think Dilly is a rising star. Bentley to OF would have been MEH and MEH can be. I'm excited about Dilly. Needed some new young blood on the staff. Need to get a couple more of these type. 

I agree with this for sure.  Especially new blood.

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

My main point of even posting this is that we sure are generous with our money allowing Gus to pay an OC salary to someone he does not allow to be an OC.  Furthermore if he has also removed all decisions on personnel playing in games from all Offensive coaches then we have an extremely high paid head coach with a pretty highly paid staff who is not allowed to carry out many functions of their jobs that they are being paid for.

Gus is not paying him OC salary....since most good OCs are now over $ I million per year.... From what I read, Dillingham is getting money in range of other AU coaches and to some extent it is a supply and demand issue too. 

11 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

What all excites you the most?  Is it recruiting, his QB development skills, helping Gus with play-calling?

7 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

How in the world can Gus handle the game planning, play selection, and player personnel in addition to managing the entire game, from all aspects defense/ST, etc?  IDK, seems like a very heavy load for any HC to carry.

Archived