New OC Hired Kenny Dillingham

auburnphan

1 hour ago, Beenjammin said:

You got to be kidding me.... Just speechless. I.... just forget it. I give up trying....

Best of luck to him....I wish he and Bo the Best: WDE. I got to quit worrying and let it be. It’s killing my blood pressure and anxiety.

I’m still hoping Stoops is a for real thing for 2020. 

Anyone here worrying about this guy's age doesn't pay attention to football.  The head coach of the 11-2 L.A. Rams is 32.  He was given the job right after he turned 30.  More and more guys in their 30s are being given big time head coaching gigs in college too (see Oklahoma and Ohio State).  Being older doesn't necessarily equate to better.  And if Gus is calling plays anyway, who really cares about this guy being 28? 

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His age doesn't bother me. I just don't believe in his QB coaching experience as some may do considering Norvell is a QB coach since 2012 and was calling the plays. Not saying this kid isn't smart but with only two years as QB coach..how much of it was Norvell and how much of it was Dilli is my question. We're going to find out.

So, we finally found one who said yes! 

I actually think this could be a good hire, hopefully no pretense and everyone understands what his job is and what’s expected of him. Now, let’s see if it works.

Woke up at 3 am to feed my newborn and saw we have a new OC. 😁

No idea about coaching (haha), but think it will be great recruiting wise, for the QBs, and bring a “spark” to the offense in the locker room. For some reason, I feel like that was lacking although I can’t back that up. To me, Chip didn’t seem to have that energy. 

I think this could be a good hire if everyone understands their roles and are left alone to do them. No more micromanaging !!! I like the fact that he is young and that he has worked with some good qb's during his short coaching career. While the qb's natural talents had a lot to do with their success, I am fairly certain that Dilly had a lot to do with it also. I like that he has worked under Norvell for several years. My hope is that he comes in with a passion and fire for his job and that will translate on the field in the development of our offensive players. It's going to come down to our offensive line again. Have they matured and gotten better. Will we have a qb that can run Gus's hurry up offense and be a threat to run the ball. Can we utilize the tight end (as Dilly's offenses have been known to do), and can we be creative and not so predictable on offense.  Guess we want know for a few months as we start to hear things come out from bowl prep and spring practice. Gus, it's put up or shut up time. Let's see what ya got.

Considering the circumstances a homerun hire. With all the resent reports ala Martin and Bentley consider the source. All I’m sayin

This is a better hire then I was expecting. However the whole Gus calls plays with kodi being the passing game coordinator?? So what exactly is this guy doing? Hope he came cheap but whatever glad Gus is owning it anyway

If Gus lets the guy do his job, this could end up being a very positive thing. For Dillingham this is an opportunity of a lifetime and I’m sure no coach will work harder or with more energy to succeed. Hopefully he will bring some of the Memphis offensive concepts with him.  And I like Gus calling his own plays. It’s all on him come Gameday. 

After a night to sleep on it.  I think it is the best that we can do. 

I also see another "Yes Man" who is here to learn and gain more experience rather than address the failures of the offense.

It is too early to  tell whether he is a QB guru or not, training under Norvell  certainly helps. 

Will Gus let him coach QB's or just his offense as he has always done?  They need to develop skills not just familiarity with Gus' offense.

I fear that WR scheme will be simplified again in the offensive

He has the it factor as a coach, hope that he sticks around when we hire Norvell next year to take over and he will have familiarity with the offense to help Norvell transition to a more dynamic offensive style. 

Welcome!

First thoughts and I hope I am not too repetitive of what has already been said:  I am impressed with this hire, although Memphis is probably not impressed with us as we have stolen two of their coaches in less than a year.  I do like the fact that we have someone truly dedicated to being a QB coach.  It only makes me more excited for Bo Nix and his future with us.  I also like the fact that we retained Kodi Burns.  I do like the work Kodi has done in developing his wide receivers and the guy can also recruit.  I am okay with Gus calling plays.  So now if we succeed we can give Gus credit, and when we do not succeed we can also give the blame to Gus.  No more like this past season when we did well it was all Chip, and when we fail it was all Gus.  I would assume Kenny can recruit as well?  Not sure of his 2018 recruiting ranking, but he recruited his wife to marry him...  Impressive.  I could use a few pointers from this guy.  :laugh:

All year we have said that we cannot develop a quarterback and now we have someone who can.  Gus' system depends on a successful quarterback, and now we have someone who's main job is just that.  War Eagle Kenny!

I like this hire and I like that Gus is saying publicly he will call plays. This is what's best for Auburn right now. We're going to get back to our Gus offense roots and won't have to worry about two separate offensive minds clashing in the middle of a game. This Memphis guy has a great resume. War Eagle Gus! Good pick up and good plan. 

At first I was happy but I don't want to fall in that trap.....I'll wait until I see it. If our first possession of the season is run up the middle; wr screen; delayed hb draw......I'm going to slap the s*** out of somebody

7 hours ago, Ber798297 said:

What exactly does a passing game coordinator do?

He's the one that gets to wear the blindfold, and throw the darts at the play chart.

Personally I’m relieved Gus is calling plays. It means Gus defenders can’t go, “nuh uh this is Chip calling plays”. It’s out in the open.

Kodi got a BS title to keep him around and make him feel better. Unless there’s a pay bump coming.

I just want three things from Dilli:

1. Recruit well

2. Develop quarterbacks

3. Get us a running back built like the one Memphis had this year.

Passing game coordinator? Our wr catch a screen runs a 7 yard out when we need 10; and the fly route......that's it. So what is this job? Clearly for us it's part time.....

Archived