New OC Hired Kenny Dillingham

auburnphan

10 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Hypothetical...Willis or Nix has a great year, Boobie has a great year, OL looks great, and defense looks great.  We win the SEC and maybe lose in the playoffs.  Does Gus stay and get a raise/extension...or do we part ways anyway because it's cheaper and we still don't like his inconsistency? 

I don’t think anyone would fire a coach who wins the SEC. That would be ludicrous. He stays but no extension. For me he’d have to win 9+ games and beat either thUGA or the Turds. Otherwise it’s time to find the moneybags and go HC searching. 

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who comes to read this post about our new hire should stop after the OP! Same old, ”How many ways can we bash our coach in a thread about———well anything ——- postings”!

45 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Also like Gus or don't like Gus whenever his back is against the wall he seems to pull the rabbit out of the hat.

That's the most infuriating thing about Gus. He coaches best when his back is against the wall and winds up extending his time at Auburn. For this reason alone, I think Gus isn't going anywhere until at least after the 2020 season.

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

If Gus has a good showing this year, - say 8+ wins - , we'll have a hard time firing him, especially if we're ranked.  Lots of people disagree with me, but that's my opinion and this is Auburn.  No raise, though and no extension, even if he wins the SEC. 

If we lose to LSU, UGA, and UAT, and win all the rest (9-3), I would say it might still be 50/50.

If we lose to LSU, UGA, and UAT, and lose one other (8-4), it might be 60% to 75% against.

If we lose to LSU, UGA, and UAT, and lose two others (7-5), he's gone.

The tough decision is if we win one of the LSU, UGA, or UAT games and still go 8-4 or 7-5.

If we win two of the LSU, UGA, or UAT games he stays.

I cannot see Gus getting any extension or raise even if he is wildly successful. He already has a lucrative contract which runs through 2024. Leath has seen the mistake he made, he cannot afford to make the same mistake again.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

Or in the Clemson 2016 game, “We would have won if all 5 of the QBs would have executed”.  -G. Malzhan.

Fixed!

This guy seems to be a damn good coach. It's obviously no yurich from Okie St level of hire, but honestly think the guy can be that level. 

The real question is what will he actually do on game day. If Gus takes the norevell approach and let's OC give suggestions from the box and Gus picks from those, it could actually work. 

Either way, win or lose next year, fire Gus  

10 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Anyone here worrying about this guy's age doesn't pay attention to football.  The head coach of the 11-2 L.A. Rams is 32.  He was given the job right after he turned 30.  More and more guys in their 30s are being given big time head coaching gigs in college too (see Oklahoma and Ohio State).  Being older doesn't necessarily equate to better.  And if Gus is calling plays anyway, who really cares about this guy being 28? 

Good point. Mike Martz’s criticism on the McVay hire:

“What is he, a couple of months older than Jared? They hired a buddy for Jared. The NFL has nothing to do with being the friend or the buddy of the quarterback. You've got to coach them and work them hard with respect. But buddy? And this guy is a quarterback expert? An offensive expert? Wait a minute while I puke. Right, he's going to be able to teach and handle and guide Jared through tough times because of all of his expertise and knowledge? Right. I'm not going to drink that Kool-Aid."”

How did that criticism age?

12 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Dude looked like he’s 16 ...

D06F3C64-F5C1-4E13-8772-F1D7E6819243.jpeg

Then again, talk about out kicking your coverage ...

F0C4585C-4EAA-4DD6-A25D-B8155A6B8F6A.jpeg

Looks like he’ll be one heck-of-a recruiter! 

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Good point. Mike Martz’s criticism on the McVay hire:

“What is he, a couple of months older than Jared? They hired a buddy for Jared. The NFL has nothing to do with being the friend or the buddy of the quarterback. You've got to coach them and work them hard with respect. But buddy? And this guy is a quarterback expert? An offensive expert? Wait a minute while I puke. Right, he's going to be able to teach and handle and guide Jared through tough times because of all of his expertise and knowledge? Right. I'm not going to drink that Kool-Aid."”

How did that criticism age?

I just like younger coaches in general as coordinators and they seem to be paying dividends for us.  Younger coaches, while sometimes still learning on the job, are quick to learn from mistakes.  They also have fresh ideas.  Younger coaches also have more energy and can relate to recruit/players easier.  The two coaches I think of are Kodi Burns and Travis Williams, two of our best recruiters.

Now you still need tenured coaches as well as they usually have been through the fire.  Younger coaches are like your older brother who can relate and older coaches are your father figure who are the shoulder to lean on.  In tandem, you run a tight ship (theoretically).  

20 minutes ago, meh130 said:

If we lose to LSU, UGA, and UAT, and win all the rest (9-3), I would say it might still be 50/50.

If we lose to LSU, UGA, and UAT, and lose one other (8-4), it might be 60% to 75% against.

If we lose to LSU, UGA, and UAT, and lose two others (7-5), he's gone.

The tough decision is if we win one of the LSU, UGA, or UAT games and still go 8-4 or 7-5.

If we win two of the LSU, UGA, or UAT games he stays.

I cannot see Gus getting any extension or raise even if he is wildly successful. He already has a lucrative contract which runs through 2024. Leath has seen the mistake he made, he cannot afford to make the same mistake again.

My thinking on firing him at 8+ is that the Athletic Department will be sensitive to the optics.  Not saying he shouldn't be let go at 8 or even 9 wins, only that the administration will feel it's hurdle to a good new hire.

My 2 oxidized green pennies...

I'm neither positive nor negative to the hire.  I expected Gus to simply "promote" Kodi and continue or re-take the play-calling (depending on your beliefs) while hiring a WR coach and perhaps trying to replace Grimes.

This is pretty close but a potentially better scenario in that maybe this new guy (who I, admittedly, don't know anything about) is really good with QB's.  And with that, perhaps he will, at the very least, have influence over Gus as to the PROPER QB to use based on whatever RUNNING/PASSING SYSTEM Gus is going to employ next season.  But we'll have to wait and see, as per usual....

I think pretty much AS important as to proper QB utilization will be what's done about the OLine.  Regardless of the coach, I hope the scheme will allow them to be able to attack the defense like Cornered Tigers and not read and react like the pushovers they were most of last season.  That can go a VERY long way towards their success or lack thereof.

So, with that said, and knowing the defense is a HUGE question mark, especially after being so underwhelming this year, I'm glad for this scenario.  It's the right thing to do since the PTB neutered rather than fired Gus.  Thus is the "put up or shut up" scenario that I, personally, hoped for.

Gus.... Show us what you're made of.  If you go all Spurrier on the SEC then I'll be happy to take my Crow Southern Fried, on a bun with hot sauce & blue cheese.

War Eagle y'all!

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'll be happy to take my Crow Southern Fried, on a bun with hot sauce & blue cheese

I'm of the opinion that almost any meat will taste good prepared this way. I like the way you think.

I'm with you. I'm preoccupied with OL (and RB). I guess at this point no changes will happen (be announced) until after the first signing day. 

Regarding the age debate going on in prior posts, I haven't seen anyone too worried about it. Especially since he's not fully an OC or even particularly close to it. Youth and energy? Sure. Let's do that.

I will avoid the rest of the thread and reply to the OP - I am really impressed with the hire. We get a QB coach, a great recruiter, and someone who is coming from an explosive offense. We also have Gus calling plays. He is publicly taking responsibility for our success or failure next year. That means 100% that we can say "Gus, you suck.. take the money and go." OR "Way to bounce back, coach. You can stay another year."

But God help me.. if we do well and they give him another raise/extension I WILL LOSE MY DAMN MIND! :laugh:

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Folks keep wanting Gus to go back to what he did earlier. He never quit doing it. Defenses just adapted to it.

I'm not sure I agree with this.  The HUNH O has disappeared.  All the motion and misdirection has also gone by the wayside.  He  would sub in to his advantage during the HUNH O while the D was trying to figure it all out, thus putting the D at a serious disadvantage.  I believe that the whole O was highly coordinated and pre scripted for most of the game and situations.  If you look at our O the last couple of years, our first drives of the game were all HUNH, pretty successful and dangerous looking- they were all pre-scripted. It appears to me that he has not adjusted to the Officials holding the snap until the D has had an opportunity to also sub, countering his supposed advantages .  His subbing now has slowed the game considerably and allowed the D to catch up.  The answer is less substituting, more HUNH O.  He'll have to train his players to run the diverse situational offense that he had in the past and sub when he actually is forced to .

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm of the opinion that almost any meat will taste good prepared this way. I like the way you think.

I'm with you. I'm preoccupied with OL (and RB). I guess at this point no changes will happen (be announced) until after the first signing day. 

Regarding the age debate going on in prior posts, I haven't seen anyone too worried about it. Especially since he's not fully an OC or even particularly close to it. Youth and energy? Sure. Let's do that.

So true.  I've said many times, I'd eat an old leather shoe with the proper prep, sauce & cheese.  .....hmm... I'm getting hungry for some reason.

Right, the OL is going to be SO (infinity) important...

As for the age.... I've seen some of that discussion and I don't care at all.  I've seen too old too, you know?  Bottom line, Gus has OPENLY ADMITTED that he's the man so bottom line, I believe this guy's job will be QB's & possibly to work with Kodi on the passing game.

Compared to what we witnessed in '18 that could be an improvement.  Are they allowed to go out & study other, successful, passing games or are they just to work with what is already in Gus' limited "arsenal"?  Another important question.

Maybe we can redshirt Nix and get the other 3 on the field at the same time to utilize their strengths without giving away the personnel package.  Sandberg could be HB or QB.  Malik could be slot receiver or QB.  Gatewood could be TE or QB.  No way the other team could prepare for 3 different packages.  You know Gus is thinking about this at some point.

3 minutes ago, jluvah said:

So Gus will decide between two or three plays suggested by Dillingham? That would be the whole playbook!

Haha. Well one thing is for sure, he won't even need to dial up any plays to choose from if we get a first down. Everyone in America knows the next play will be a run up the middle. 

I believe the current arrangement is the best one. Gus needed to own this and now it’s squarely on him. 

24 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

He'll have to train his players to run the diverse situational offense that he had in the past and sub when he actually is forced to .

He'll have to recruit and develop OLs. 2009 and 2010: Tubs's guys. 2013 and 2014: Chiz's guys. Ever since then: his guys. 

He also needs to quit pretending that we're ever going to have a legit passing game, quit recruiting blue chip pass catchers, and go back to recruiting big bodied nobodies who won't mind blocking on 99% of the snaps. Paul Johnson just left Ga Tech and somebody needs to give those guys a home. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

He'll have to recruit and develop OLs. 2009 and 2010: Tubs's guys. 2013 and 2014: Chiz's guys. Ever since then: his guys. 

He also needs to quite pretending that we're ever going to have a legit passing game, quit recruiting blue chip pass catchers, and go back to recruiting big bodied nobodies who won't mind blocking on 99% of the snaps. Paul Johnson just left Ga Tech and somebody needs to give those guys a home. 

Great Points.

I don't believe he is capable of any of this- The legit passing game part in particular.  He has chosen to abandon any pretext of running a real passing O with the supposed simple routes.( Supposed because I don't know enough to recognize that).  Seemed to me there were plenty of open receivers this past season.  QB just could not find them.

6 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I believe the current arrangement is the best one. Gus needed to own this and now it’s squarely on him. 

I agree.

Since we all knew he was not going to get fired at this point, isn't this the best case scenario? This should make every AU fan happy. This puts the bullseye squarely on Gus. He is calling plays so there is no scapegoat. There is no turning back. 

Why would anyone complain about this hire? He is young, seems to be good with QBs (which we need), is willing to take a job with a coach that is on the hottest of hot seats, and it also means that the head man (Gus) is responsible for play calling. Win-Win. 

10 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Great Points.

I don't believe he is capable of any of this- The legit passing game part in particular.  He has chosen to abandon any pretext of running a real passing O with the supposed simple routes.( Supposed because I don't know enough to recognize that).  Seemed to me there were plenty of open receivers this past season.  QB just could not find them.

Thanks for the generous response. I still can't decide if I was attempting to be humorous about the WRs or not. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to formally announce your future Auburn University head football coach: KENNY DILLINGHAM!!

No way his mom let's him take that job AND keep his paper route. Something's gotta give!

Archived