New OC Hired Kenny Dillingham

auburnphan

15 minutes ago, fredst said:

I think this is a pretty good hire and the arrangement removes the facade of an OC apart from Gus. I hope it works but I have a gut feeling about how it will play out. So:

8B74639E-7472-463F-B1E0-978C566E9B10.gif

Maybe we will all be pleasantly surprised...One can only hope so.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

The most positive thing I saw in the announcement is that Gus is calling the plays.  So there is no one left to fall on their sword if it doesn’t work.  It’s all on Gus.  Get it done or don’t let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.  I like it.   

I agree.

2 hours ago, weagl1 said:

The most positive thing I saw in the announcement is that Gus is calling the plays.  So there is no one left to fall on their sword if it doesn’t work.  It’s all on Gus.  Get it done or don’t let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.  I like it.   

Descriptive job titles.  Holding coaches accountable.  It's good executive practice in the real world.

However, since Gus thinks his plays are perfect and any difficulties are execution-related, the end result may be that we see multiple scapegoats every year next season.  Gonna be interesting to see how the blame game is played if our season goes bad in 2019.  

Just now, AURealist said:

Descriptive job titles.  Holding coaches accountable.  It's good executive practice in the real world.

However, since Gus thinks his plays are perfect and any difficulties are execution-related, the end result may be that we see multiple scapegoats every year.  Gonna be interesting to see how the blame game is played if our season goes bad in 2019.  

I don't think scapegoats matter after next season...either Gus produces (in the form of Ws) or he's out.

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Great hire if Gus lets him do his thing. His ass is on the line so I would advise he leaves this dude TF alone.

Not gonna happen

19 minutes ago, fortworthtiger said:

I don't think scapegoats matter after next season...either Gus produces (in the form of Ws) or he's out.

That's my belief, but I'm not counting on it.  If things go bad, Gus is probably gone, but it will be interesting to see if he takes the blame or tries to blame coaches and players for poor execution.   The best case is that Gus somehow wakes up, changes his mindset and tries something new.  I typed "every year", but was thinking next season.  Gonna edit my post to reflect that.  

That's my belief, but I'm not counting on it.  If things go bad, Gus is probably gone, but it will be interesting to see if he takes the blame or tries to blame coaches and players for poor execution.   The best case is for Gus to somehow wakes up, changes his mindset and tries something new.  I typed "every year", but was thinking next season.  Gonna edit my post to reflect that.  

I don’t see how he could possibly blame anyone else at this point . It’s do or die for him.

10 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Fun energy on big plays during practice. 

Not sure why you got downvoted for posting this. I think he looks great. Very positive, excited when they do well, emphasis on details and getting better.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

At first I was happy but I don't want to fall in that trap.....I'll wait until I see it. If our first possession of the season is run up the middle; wr screen; delayed hb draw......I'm going to slap the s*** out of somebody

Now that funny......  and I'm with you.....my dog better look out

ray liotta laughing GIF

Just now, DAG said:

I don’t see how he could possibly blame anyone else at this point . It’s do or die for him.

He's been doing it all along and he's been getting away with it.  Seems logical that he'd be gone, but are you going to bet the house on it?  I'm not.

He's been doing it all along and he's been getting away with it.  Seems logical that he'd be gone, but are you going to bet the house on it?  I'm not.

I honestly think he will be gone before seasons end! No lie. 

i like the hire. we got a young cat that knows what is going on at auburn and choose's to accept the challenge. he seems to be a coach fun to be around and yet he is still a big time discipline guy. i am sure he is smart enough to call gus on tendencies which is one of the knocks against gus. and i am certainly not going to drag this new hire through the mud nor the football team. the table has been set so if we win it is a great thing. and if not gus will not be around. so to an extent most folks should should be happy that it will resolve itself one way or another this year.

I just remember when the offense worked best (  we usually had a reasonably good line) but Gus called plays with Rhett 10 yards downfield reading the coverage from secondary personnel and alignment. I suppose Kodi will take that spot now. When that setup changed is when Gus would make those gut clenching faces and we would constantly have trouble getting plays off and burning timeouts or being penalized a lot. This is it for Gus. If the line can get better I have confidence we will be among the tops in Sec in offensive production. But I would have been confident with a better line this past year too. So I’m glad he’s back to what got him to where he was successful. But I still see oline recruitment as the overall problem. 

has anyone read anything on the new hires recruiting ability? we have three qb's and two of them are projects right? willis ony a one year qb in high school? and kinda the same way with gatewood as well since many claimed he would be a te. and we have cord whom is the old man of the bunch. and yes i know bo is coming but i would love for auburn to recruit a higher level og qb's and not so many projects.

2 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

The kid seems like a rocket in the pocket guy, but he has hitched himself to a rocket that has run out of fuel. 

Seems so.....but we will see. 

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I actually like this even with Gus calling plays. As long as Dilling is allowed to purely focus on developing the QB without adjusting to Gus’s elementary style of doing so, then your guy Bo could really be something stellar. 

Plus if Gus gets fired you can just promote this guy 

I agree.  I'm excited to see what a young up-and-comer can do.  All of the greats started somewhere.  Not saying he is going to be a great, but you never know.  I'm excited to see what he can do.

It seems about the best hire we could make, under the circumstances. Even if all he is doing is working with QBs and recruiting, it should be a step-up if Gus allows his input. That's a big if, but as others have said...I can't see how Malzahn survives another mediocre season and next season is about as strong a test as you can get. 

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

What if our offense becomes a Top 3-5 in the SEC next season, and our defense craps the bed?

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

So if we do the pick 3 plays and Gus chooses one and we only have 4 plays............................................lol

The hard part is choosing which formation to run it out of.

10 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Fun energy on big plays during practice. 

His energy and style reminds me of T-Will.

Archived