New OC Hired Kenny Dillingham

auburnphan

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Anyone here worrying about this guy's age doesn't pay attention to football.  The head coach of the 11-2 L.A. Rams is 32.  He was given the job right after he turned 30.  More and more guys in their 30s are being given big time head coaching gigs in college too (see Oklahoma and Ohio State).  Being older doesn't necessarily equate to better.  And if Gus is calling plays anyway, who really cares about this guy being 28? 

Lawd I been getting a few of these messages. Look, I said best of luck to him and wish him all the best. If he can get it done ill be the first to tip my hat to him. 

Im just saying at 28 , he couldnt have had a great deal of experience. Im a 40 year resident of Auburn and Im not alone as a skeptic. You cant blame us for thinking this way. 

Kirby Smart was no old and he is doing great job. Im just amazed is all. Take it easy. 

And you are correct, I dont pay attention to pro ball on purpose.. So i could have missed some up and coming coaching staff names. 

2 minutes ago, Beenjammin said:

Lawd I been getting a few of these messages. Look, I said best of luck to him and wish him all the best. If he can get it done ill be the first to tip my hat to him. 

Im just saying at 28 , he couldnt have had a great deal of experience. Im a 40 year resident of Auburn and Im not alone as a skeptic. You cant blame us for thinking this way. 

Kirby Smart was no old and he is doing great job. Im just amazed is all. Take it easy. 

And you are correct, I dont pay attention to pro ball on purpose.. So i could have missed some up and coming coaching staff names. 

Again though, experience can be overrated.  That's the point being made.  Innovators of the game often aren't guys with 20 of years of coaching under their belt.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Again though, experience can be overrated.  That's the point being made.  Innovators of the game often aren't guys with 20 of years of coaching under their belt.

Innovators on offense don't work for gus either.

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You'd best not let Denny Killingham hear you say that. Dude is straight murdery. 

Be careful, you might get some on ya just for quoting.  

Denny don’t play. He quit school because of recess.

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

Let’s just call him “Dilly Dilly”.  If he doesn’t work out we will at least have the Bud Light to fall back on!  I like it!  

I was hoping 2018 would be the alpha and omega of Dilly Dilly. :(

25 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I want to be excited. I really, really do.  I just can't if Gus is still calling plays and making major decisions on offense.

It's more of the same in 2019.

The OC we hired seems to have high integrity. His knowledge of the game is there and his resume is pretty nice as well. I’d be just as excited if I knew he was 100% calling tbe plays.

He seems very coachable and not seeking of the credit. Selfless. I read an article where he said as a grad assistant that he wanted to make tbe OC look good, when he was OC he wanted to make Norvell look good and so on. It’s no wonder he is rising through the ranks. 

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I read an article where he said as a grad assistant that he wanted to make tbe OC look good, when he was OC he wanted to make Norvell look good and so on. 

Make your boss look good and you'll be rewarded. In coaching, that goes a very long way.

6 hours ago, lurtz said:

No joke. DirecTV thinks Auburn is in Georgia.

this is probably true, because i looked around today,as i'm thinking of switching back, and they had me in georgia and i live on the ala/miss line almost.....put me in georgia after i gave them zip,street and phone#....

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Make your boss look good and you'll be rewarded. In coaching, that goes a very long way.

Smart man that's what I always looked for when hiring. 

I think we're all pretty passionate about Auburn, not just Auburn football. We do truly believe in Auburn and what it stands for. That's why we / I get upset when I believe we are being 'played' by our AU representatives. In this case, our coach. And the new Administration that is allowing him to get away with it. Anybody remember Gus telling us a couple of years ago he wasn't / hadn't been as effective a head coach as he could be because he was doing too much? He was going to let his OC call the plays / coordinate the offense - it was going to give him more time, it would make him a more effective Head coach! Well coach, which is it? Sounds like dejavu all over again - been here, done it, got the tee-shirt! The definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. It is insanity...

20 hours ago, DAG said:

Homerun hire

I am not trying to  get in an argument here DAG, but i really do not feel  this is a sincere comment.

3 minutes ago, eking34AU said:

I think we're all pretty passionate about Auburn, not just Auburn football. We do truly believe in Auburn and what it stands for. That's why we / I get upset when I believe we are being 'played' by our AU representatives. In this case, our coach. And the new Administration that is allowing him to get away with it. Anybody remember Gus telling us a couple of years ago he wasn't / hadn't been as effective a head coach as he could be because he was doing too much? He was going to let his OC call the plays / coordinate the offense - it was going to give him more time, it would make him a more effective Head coach! Well coach, which is it? Sounds like dejavu all over again - been here, done it, got the tee-shirt! The definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. It is insanity...

Well, to some up what you / we all have been saying,Gus is lost.   Hence his randumb comments.  Next 3-4 years are going to be Auburns best.  I need to be more of a CEO.   I was too much a CEO.  I need to  call the plays. Coke is better than Pepsi.   Pespsi tastes better than Coke.  He has no plan to stick too.  He a girlfriend you  catch in the middle  of the at.  Anything will be said to  try to convince you of she is innocent.

Looks like many have forgotten that Gus was meddled with previously when he was told to step away from play calling (Rhett the fall guy). Another example of our BOT not staying in their lane. If Gus was merely allowed to sink or swim in his own, he’d likely have been fired before the extension was even a consideration. As it stands, Gus has the opportunity to embarrass AU in either scenario; whether he flops or shines. When are we going to learn to hire a coach and get out of the way, allowing the results to dictate retention?

Now he’s back to where we were years ago. It’s what he always should have been doing, it’s his offense we hired him for. And if he failed to produce, he should be removed as head coach.

1 minute ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Looks like many have forgotten that Gus was meddled with previously when he was told to step away from play calling (Rhett the fall guy). Another example of our BOT not staying in their lane. If Gus was merely allowed to sink or swim in his own, he’d likely have been fired before the extension was even a consideration. As it stands, Gus has the opportunity to embarrass AU in either scenario; whether he flops or shines. When are we going to learn to hire a coach and get out of the way, allowing the results to dictate retention?

Say it louder ...I don’t think anyone heard you.

58 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The OC we hired seems to have high integrity. His knowledge of the game is there and his resume is pretty nice as well

Good. Do you think Chip didn't have high integrity or knowledge of the game?

How much does it matter if your HC is still running the show and calling the plays? I'll believe things are different...when I see things are different on the field. Until then, it's more of the same. 

I’m just kind of sad about Alan Greene’s comment. I like him and hoping that he will be the leader I believe he would be when he came in. He isn’t necessarily lying because he doesn’t say the rumors weren’t true ( they definitely were because we definitely know that not only has Gus’s contract changed but he had to drop to this affordable OC in order to replace Chip) but he seems to imply as such. They were not rumors they were absolutely true. Gus was told to leave or take their offer and if you see their offer it was one that was meant to produce Gus leaving. Since Gus didn’t and took what they offered to turn around now and act like it didn’t happen is quite hypocritical in my opinion. I’m ok with it. It just means now there is no way out for Gus. Next year there will be no discussion. Failure to win will result with immediate dismissal. It could come well before the end of the season and give us a leg up in the coaches race. For those that still hope, I am sorry, but there is no way Gus follows through with this. Early in the year he will have his Clemson/UT moment because that’s who he is. I wish it could be different but I just don’t see it. I am a believer in AU though  and when Gus’s moment is over I can assure you we will hire another coach who will come in and immediately put us back where we belong.

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

Good. Do you think Chip didn't have high integrity or knowledge of the game?

It’s not like that at all so don’t make it that way. I knew of Chip before be was ever in Auburn in 2013. Chip was a good guy and things didn’t work out. Maybe the Dilly Dilly has a few methods that can better present more convincing options to Gus. Maybe Chip couldn’t convince Gus that his plays would work. Regardless, if the OC wants to make the HC look good, that’s tbe doctor’s antidote to a buyout.

54 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I’m just kind of sad about Alan Greene’s comment. I like him and hoping that he will be the leader I believe he would be when he came in. He isn’t necessarily lying because he doesn’t say the rumors weren’t true ( they definitely were because we definitely know that not only has Gus’s contract changed but he had to drop to this affordable OC in order to replace Chip) but he seems to imply as such. They were not rumors they were absolutely true. Gus was told to leave or take their offer and if you see their offer it was one that was meant to produce Gus leaving. Since Gus didn’t and took what they offered to turn around now and act like it didn’t happen is quite hypocritical in my opinion. I’m ok with it. It just means now there is no way out for Gus. Next year there will be no discussion. Failure to win will result with immediate dismissal. It could come well before the end of the season and give us a leg up in the coaches race. For those that still hope, I am sorry, but there is no way Gus follows through with this. Early in the year he will have his Clemson/UT moment because that’s who he is. I wish it could be different but I just don’t see it. I am a believer in AU though  and when Gus’s moment is over I can assure you we will hire another coach who will come in and immediately put us back where we belong.

Did he modify his contract and reduce the buyout? If so he is nuts..

Archived