New OC Hired Kenny Dillingham

auburnphan

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Based on the worrisome age comments about KD,  some of you guys must have been real DA's when y'all were 29.  Not me, proud to say. I was an 11-year veteran major taxpayer, husband and father of a 5-year old by then.  Responsibility actually came well before age 30 for most of us...or so I thought.

I don't worry about his age; everyone is different.  Congrats on your maturity and life path for real.  Which branch of service were you in?  I did a year of college, then five in Navy, and then back to college, and I was still a huge irresponsible dumbass  after graduating, despite having a dad who retired as a Lt. Col from the Air Guard and a mom who taught in Jr. College and was the Valedictorian of her high school and college education.  I really didn't feel like an adult until they had both passed away.  Maybe TMI, but the older I get, the more I realize everyone has their own unique story.  

8 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I don't worry about his age; everyone is different.  Congrats on your maturity and life path for real.  Which branch of service were you in?  I did a year of college, then five in Navy, and then back to college, and I was still a huge irresponsible dumbass  after graduating, despite having a dad who retired as a Lt. Col from the Air Guard and a mom who taught in Jr. College and was the Valedictorian of her high school and college education.  I really didn't feel like an adult until they had both passed away.  Maybe TMI, but the older I get, the more I realize everyone has their own unique story.  

Yep. Everyone's story is unique. 

7 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

So true.  I'm almost 47 years old, been married literally half my life and have 2 young kids.  I'm STILL a dumbass.  Or as my wife says, I'm a jackwagon.  I have no qualms about the dude's age myself.

However, I am concerned.... Since he IS so young, you reckon he reads social media and message boards and after reading ours he's going to change his mind and go back to Memphis?

HAHAHA!  Sorry.... couldn't resist. :beer2:

We might very well be looking at a young Lincoln Riley with Dillingham. This would be awesome. I think Gus may have realized the writing on the wall and he knows this. We might see the old Gus of 2013 & 14. Gus knows his rear end is hanging in the balance and hopefully will show us what he is capable of.  I have a good feeling about KD and think he will bring more to the table that has not been presented in a long time.

I am sort of looking forward to our bowl game now and hope we see an aggressive Gus and one that will put the pedal to the metal all 60 minutes of the bowl game and not let off.

5 hours ago, Beenjammin said:

Im just saying at 28 , he couldnt have had a great deal of experience. Im a 40 year resident of Auburn and Im not alone as a skeptic. You cant blame us for thinking this way.

Jimbo Fisher was 27 years old when he was named Terry Bowden's offensive coordinator in 1993. He turned 28 years old during the fall 1993 football season.

Major Applewhite was 28 years old when he was named Nick Saban's offensive coordinator in 2007. He turned 29 years old during prior to the start of the 2007 football season.

Neal Brown, current head coach at Troy, former OC at Troy (under Larry Blakeney), Texas Tech (under Tommy Tubberville), and Kentucky (under Mark Stoops) was 7 years old when he was named Larry Blakeney's offensive coordinator in 2008.

Young coordinators are not that rare. You see more young OCs than young DCs, but there are a few notable DCs who started young (Aranda and Diaz come to mind).

22 hours ago, bigbird said:

This is kind of what most expected after Freeze and Bentley turned it down.  Gus would call plays and we'd bring in a good QB guy.  To me, that's exactly what this is.  From what I remember about Memphis, they have had very good QB play the last few years.

Memphis bio

TIGERS MIC'D UP - COACH DILLINGHAM

Really good article from when Miami was chasing him

From the last article, "The Norvell system of play calling is that Norvell makes a decision between two or three plays suggested by his offensive coordinator."

This would work out beautifully if Gus would do the same thing.

Isn't this basically what Gus does?  It's either a Zone Read, WR Screen or Handoff up the middle from Sugar Huddle. 

15 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Neal Brown, current head coach at Troy, former OC at Troy (under Larry Blakeney), Texas Tech (under Tommy Tubberville), and Kentucky (under Mark Stoops) was 7 years old when he was named Larry Blakeney's offensive coordinator in 2008.

Starting em out early. 

12 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Isn't this basically what Gus does?  It's either a Zone Read, WR Screen or Handoff up the middle from Sugar Huddle. 

Not necessarily. It could be flea-flicker, statue of liberty, or wildcat OZ RT

I just question how everyone thinks this kid is some hotshot coach comparing him with Lincoln Riley and Sean McVey. I also don't get why some of you think he is some QB Guru. Let's do a rundown. This guy doesn't even have a Wiki page... So I've had to get this from different articles...

In 2013 while Malzahn was taking his first team to the national championship,  Dillingham was working his way up as a football camp manager for the City of Scottsdale from 2000 to 2013. 2014 and 2015 he was an offensive grad assistant that worked with tight ends at Arizona State. He was not the TE coach. 2016 offensive grad assistant at Memphis. 2017 QB and TE coach. 2018 OC who didn't call plays and QB coach. So his entire career of coaching has been 13 years in highschool (big shocker) but not as a highschool head coach. As a camp manager, freshman coach, and OC. Then we have 3 years as a grad assistant that coached TEs, 2 years as a QB coach, and 1 year as a non play calling OC... 

I have no issue with his age. Not in the slightest. And he very well may be the next best thing since sliced bread, but I don't see it.... You guys just eat it up if you want. I see the hire for what it is. I mean dude has 3 years as an actual on the field coach and y'all are acting like we hired Belichick.

15 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Had to give Kodi something remember he is the present co-OC now.

Kodi was already the CO-OC. They had to give him that title to jump from being RB coach at Arizona State to WR coach at Auburn. He has been the CO-OC since the day he was hired. This hire has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Edit... After reading your response I see that's what you meant.

15 hours ago, DAG said:

Yeah I won’t lie that Martin mom thing got me in my feelings forreal lol. Probably a little harsh on my rebuttals but I just couldn’t let it ride.

Me too brother. Me too. I apologize again @alexava

15 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I’d imagine Gus will be calling all the plays for the bowl game.  That should be very telling as to who was driving the offense this year.  I have a hard time wrapping my head around Miss State and UGA if Gus was in control those games.  UGA I believe Auburn only had 13 designed runs called all game between Worm and Boobie.  Miss State Boobie was averaging 8 yards a carry but had less than 10 carries.  The ole Gus run them into the ground wasn’t present in those games instead Auburn threw it 35 times for 150 yards.  Even when Auburn had Cam they rarely threw it for more than 20 times.  Where was the fake end around long bomb all year?  That’s Gus’s bread and butter.

You need an OL that can run block and a legit SEC caliber RB1 who can actually stay on the field for that. We had neither this season. 

13 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Thanks for the generous response. I still can't decide if I was attempting to be humorous about the WRs or not. 

I hope so. Especially the whole "nobodies" part.  We've been there done that and no thank you. Personally I really like(d) having guys like Duke, Kyle Davis, NCM, and Seth Williams. Of course Ryan Davis but he wasn't a true WR as he played QB in highschool.

Gus could just come out like 2013 and have no Clemson moments 

Its not impossible for him to be that guy again, its just very unlikely. I have to think if there's anyone who can shift the paradigm of a scenario that SHOULD be set in stone, its Gus

6 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I just question how everyone thinks this kid is some hotshot coach comparing him with Lincoln Riley and Sean McVey. I also don't get why some of you think he is some QB Guru. Let's do a rundown. This guy doesn't even have a Wiki page... So I've had to get this from different articles...

In 2013 while Malzahn was taking his first team to the national championship,  Dillingham was working his way up as a football camp manager for the City of Scottsdale from 2000 to 2013. 2014 and 2015 he was an offensive grad assistant that worked with tight ends at Arizona State. He was not the TE coach. 2016 offensive grad assistant at Memphis. 2017 QB and TE coach. 2018 OC who didn't call plays and QB coach. So his entire career of coaching has been 13 years in highschool (big shocker) but not as a highschool head coach. As a camp manager, freshman coach, and OC. Then we have 3 years as a grad assistant that coached TEs, 2 years as a QB coach, and 1 year as a non play calling OC... 

I have no issue with his age. Not in the slightest. And he very well may be the next best thing since sliced bread, but I don't see it.... You guys just eat it up if you want. I see the hire for what it is. I mean dude has 3 years as an actual on the field coach and y'all are acting like we hired Belichick.

I don't think it is us thinking he is a hotshot coach, I think we just think this could be a great fit for us.  It is a low-risk, high-reward type situation.  I say that in the fact that it is low risk because Malzahn will be calling the plays so the responsibility falls on his shoulders 100%.  It is high reward as KD is to be an adviser to Gus on what calls to play, and his expertise is in coaching quarterbacks, which are vital to the scheme's success.  Malzahn for some reason seems to listen to younger people too.  He let's Kodi Burns do his thing, so maybe this means Malzahn will let KD do his thing.

11 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Did he modify his contract and reduce the buyout? If so he is nuts..

I highly doubt that his contract was renegotiated. I would bet nothing at all changed. No way is Gus handcuffed with the program either. I believe the stories being put out were out right lies made up by someone to embarrass Gus??Hell I don't know. But what I do know is that no one has published the details of his so called new contract. Maybe I am wrong, but until I see the new details of his new contract, I will call bs on all of it. 

9 hours ago, around4ever said:

This implies that those are Lindsey’s plays and Gus is selecting one. If we are to believe the narrative, the short list of plays will be Kenny’s and Gus chooses one. I see a difference in principal.

29 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

This implies that those are Lindsey’s plays and Gus is selecting one. If we are to believe the narrative, the short list of plays will be Kenny’s and Gus chooses one. I see a difference in principal.

Gus's plays in both cases, except for the very rare times that he let Chip off leash. I think the only difference now is Gus is removing any pretense that the OC is actually dictating the offense. 

7 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Time will tell but there may not be a lot of it. Agree that there isn't a lot of experience to go on. Basically if being an OC was a crime there just wouldn't be enough evidence to convict him at this point. 

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Gus could just come out like 2013 and have no Clemson moments 

Its not impossible for him to be that guy again, its just very unlikely. I have to think if there's anyone who can shift the paradigm of a scenario that SHOULD be set in stone, its Gus

Not being mean but , no Gus can’t come out like he did in 2013. In 2013 people were trying to defend a new type of offense. Since then they have accomplished that. Unless Gus can come up with something new, which I doubt, he won’t be sucessful. He didn’t quit doing what he did the other teams just learned how to counter it.

10 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Not being mean but , no Gus can’t come out like he did in 2013. In 2013 people were trying to defend a new type of offense. Since then they have accomplished that. Unless Gus can come up with something new, which I doubt, he won’t be sucessful. He didn’t quit doing what he did the other teams just learned how to counter it.

He did quit doing what he did because his personnel changed. 

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I don't think it is us thinking he is a hotshot coach, I think we just think this could be a great fit for us.  It is a low-risk, high-reward type situation.  I say that in the fact that it is low risk because Malzahn will be calling the plays so the responsibility falls on his shoulders 100%.  It is high reward as KD is to be an adviser to Gus on what calls to play, and his expertise is in coaching quarterbacks, which are vital to the scheme's success.  Malzahn for some reason seems to listen to younger people too.  He let's Kodi Burns do his thing, so maybe this means Malzahn will let KD do his thing.

His "expertise"coaching QBs!? Forgive me if I don't drool over someone who has a grand total of 2 (TWO) entire years coaching QBs... Dude has 2 years TOTAL coaching QBs.... 2... and the majority of people are acting like we have a Dan Mullin type QB whisperer... 

25 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Time will tell but there may not be a lot of it. Agree that there isn't a lot of experience to go on. Basically if being an OC was a crime there just wouldn't be enough evidence to convict him at this point. 

Convict him? There isn't enough to arrest him.  

1 hour ago, AuMarine said:

I highly doubt that his contract was renegotiated. I would bet nothing at all changed. No way is Gus handcuffed with the program either. I believe the stories being put out were out right lies made up by someone to embarrass Gus??Hell I don't know. But what I do know is that no one has published the details of his so called new contract. Maybe I am wrong, but until I see the new details of his new contract, I will call bs on all of it. 

Seriously? You say that in this thread? We just hired an OC that is 2 years removed from being a graduate assistant. One that has spent most of his time being a graduate assistant working with TEs. 

We were turned down by the USCe RB coach... Let that sink in.. 

We couldn't get any real OC to even talk to us. But sure... Everything in the media recently about Auburn is just lies designed by the Rec to hurt Auburn in recruiting.

Also, details of contracts usually aren't released until MONTHS after the fact. Sometimes it takes FOI requests to force the institution to even release the information. But sure... It's fake because it hasn't been released yet...

39 minutes ago, alexava said:

He did quit doing what he did because his personnel changed. 

Nobody ever wants to talk about our unique assemblages of talent in 2010 and 2013-14. Especially 2013-14. The 2013 team was perfectly constructed to do that one thing and nothing else. The 2014 team basically traded Jay Prosch for Duke Williams so we threw it a little more effectively and ran it a little less. We went from 20/52 passes/runs a game to 25/47. 

And thankfully people are finally realizing that we're not going to have another Cam, so they don't say "Just do what we did in 2010" very much anymore.

And now even more folks are realizing that, in both cases, we leaned on the previous coach's OL recruits. I'll leave that alone for now. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nobody ever wants to talk about our unique assemblages of talent in 2010 and 2013-14. Especially 2013-14. The 2013 team was perfectly constructed to do that one thing and nothing else. The 2014 team basically traded Jay Prosch for Duke Williams so we threw it a little more effectively and ran it a little less. We went from 20/52 passes/runs a game to 25/47. 

And thankfully people are finally realizing that we're not going to have another Cam, so they don't say "Just do what we did in 2010" very much anymore.

And now even more folks are realizing that, in both cases, we leaned on the previous coach's OL recruits. I'll leave that alone for now. 

I can’t answer why we have such bad luck ( or failure) in stocking offensive linemen but that has been our most frequent problem. Qb has been about equal. The misfortune with JJ and SW lingered on us. I think the qb situation turns around with Bo. I just don’t want to run Bo any more than absolutely necessary. I think he can be the best we’ve ever had not named Cam. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Funny thing is we very well may have one on the roster now. He happened to be the only freshman not to take a single snap this season. Also a good majority of fans thinks he ends up at TE. Some people said the exact same thing about Cam as well..  

Gatewood needs a chance. Him not getting a single snap this season was criminal. I'd be surprised if he is on campus this time next year. 

Archived