auburnphan

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

How do you know this ?

I am not talking about the prime QB. I am talking about the AD comment

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, keesler said:

There's been so much boneheaded shart with CGM that I have selective amnesia about so much of it.  :(

Indeed. Completely understand. I'm choosing to put all of my hope in the players despite the situation. Hopefully, they can overcome and exceed our expectations. I'm "trying" to be a little positive. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I am not talking about the prime QB. I am talking about the AD comment

It was discussed on this board and other AU writers suggested the same (I don't recall who exactly) that Gus was called into the office so to speak after the Clemson game and the 3 QB system.  I recall he had plans to continue with the QB rotation after what happened in the Clemson game. Of course, everyone was heated that we had a chance to win and we were playing musical chairs with the QB. He was solid in stating that it would continue until we found our starter. But all of a sudden it changed...no more 3 QB system.

I look at this as Gus has an assistant manager!

Just now, fortworthtiger said:

Assistant to the manager. :)

Exactly. Or an “on field analysist”!

20 hours ago, meh130 said:

Jimbo Fisher was 27 years old when he was named Terry Bowden's offensive coordinator in 1993. He turned 28 years old during the fall 1993 football season.

Major Applewhite was 28 years old when he was named Nick Saban's offensive coordinator in 2007. He turned 29 years old during prior to the start of the 2007 football season.

Neal Brown, current head coach at Troy, former OC at Troy (under Larry Blakeney), Texas Tech (under Tommy Tubberville), and Kentucky (under Mark Stoops) was 7 years old when he was named Larry Blakeney's offensive coordinator in 2008.

Young coordinators are not that rare. You see more young OCs than young DCs, but there are a few notable DCs who started young (Aranda and Diaz come to mind).

Thanks for this info. How well was the teams seasons corresponding to the hire that year or the year after? No doubt some of those names went on to be great coaches later when they got more experience under their belt, but how well did their team do that first or first couple of years?

7 hours ago, Tiger said:

Might be a negative slant on that article for sure, but I believe the facts in it are correct and I doubt he made up this quote from Braden:

“It’s two different styles,” Smith said. “At Auburn, all we did was run the ball. It’s a pretty simple offense. It’s not too complex, which is the point of it, so we could go fast.”

11 hours ago, alexava said:

He did quit doing what he did because his personnel changed. 

I understand that is your opinion but I don’t think it’s correct. If he had Nick  Marshal back he still couldn’t win. Like I said Saben and his disciples have figured Gus out. He might win at an out of conference against a coach that doesn’t spend a lot of time preparing for his offense and he will beat some inferior teams and occasionally beat a good team at home because JH is worth a few points with its screaming fans. But all in all Gus will be a 6 to 7 win coach as long as he coaches in the SEC.

50 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Might be a negative slant on that article for sure, but I believe the facts in it are correct and I doubt he made up this quote from Braden:

“It’s two different styles,” Smith said. “At Auburn, all we did was run the ball. It’s a pretty simple offense. It’s not too complex, which is the point of it, so we could go fast.”

Exactly and all you have to do to beat Gus’s offense is to condition your players and teach them to not watch the eye candy. That’s why it looks like everybody knows our offense, because they do .

3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I understand that is your opinion but I don’t think it’s correct. If he had Nick  Marshal back he still couldn’t win. Like I said Saben and his disciples have figured Gus out. He might win at an out of conference against a coach that doesn’t spend a lot of time preparing for his offense and he will beat some inferior teams and occasionally beat a good team at home because JH is worth a few points with its screaming fans. But all in all Gus will be a 6 to 7 win coach as long as he coaches in the SEC.

He beat saban last year without nick Marshall. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

He beat saban last year without nick Marshall. 

Just what I said about Playing at JH we get a few wins there always have by every coach we have ever had won games there with worse talent than they went against. Show me what Gus’s road record against top ten teams looks like . 

21 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

By the way if Nick Marshal was as good as some of you give him credit for he would have been an NFL QB. 

He was never pro-QB material but who cares?  He was exactly what Auburn needed in 2013 at least.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

By the way if Nick Marshal was as good as some of you give him credit for he would have been an NFL QB. 

They said the same thing about tOSU Qb Troy Smith who won the heisman. Never cut it in the nfl

9 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Or he could be the guy that plays 3 QBs in a game against Clemson. Then says he's going to do it again only to be stopped by the AD and others. Agree...it's just unlikely unless we have another prime time QB. 

I think auburn has one of the most negative Boards in terms of intrusion ever, but the fact that even they could recognize how much of an abomination that plan was...he’d literally have a QB come in, get a semi-rhythm, then sub someone else in. I’m still not sure how he lost that Clemson game, but having Chandler Cox come in and throw at all was probably why 

4 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

When Saban had the substitution rule changed, Gus’s offense became less effective.

You can still run tempo without substit., but Gus doesn’t use that concept correctly nearly enough. The end of that A&M game is the best tempo he’s had without the running game dominating here

16 hours ago, AuMarine said:

We do not need the REC to screw up this situation we did it on our own

I couldn't agree more. 

18 hours ago, alexava said:

We’ll see come spring. 

Maybe. But then again I don't expect Gatewood to hold a candle to Bo as far as development goes. I mean I sure don't expect that Gatewood was developed much here during this 2018 season. How much time could be spent on a 3rd or 4th string QB during the season? Now also one must consider who the coaches are and their development history... And history tells me that Gatewood most likely wasn't developed at all.

So it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Bo looks like a pro vs Gatewood. Bo has a collegiate QB who is also his coach for a father and has taught to be a QB since birth. Gatewood was a part time QB during high school and came to Auburn. Auburn... that has a history of their QBs regressing under the current staff.

So maybe. I hope. Absolutely nothing has happened that leads me to believe Gatewood will be any better in the spring than he was when he stepped on campus. 

10 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

He was never pro-QB material but who cares?  He was exactly what Auburn needed in 2013 at least.

giphy.gif

Was not  cutting Nick at all.Folks just keep trying to convince theirselves if we had another QB like Nick we could win. Nick wasn’t even a real QB . He was an impressive athelete running the offense. That in itself should explain the joke of an offense that Gus runs. Gus needs to find an offense that can actually use a QB, along with WRs and TEs. 

11 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

You might need a history lesson on college football quarterbacking vs NFL quarterbacking. Start here.  Some of these guys weren't even drafted. A few more probably shouldn't have been. 

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You can still run tempo without substit., but Gus doesn’t use that concept correctly nearly enough. The end of that A&M game is the best tempo he’s had without the running game dominating here

Yeah. I think it helps to throw a sub package in fast that the defense can’t respond to quick enough, also

In fact let me add this. If Gus would quite searching for another Cam or Nick and actually go find a really good QB ( or use the one he is getting properly) then he might stand a chance. But his whole strategy is built on trying to find a magician that can fool the other team. I have watched a lot of football and one thing that I believe, the best way to win consistently is to convince your team that the guys who work the hardest and give the most effort and heart are usually the ones that walk away with the Win. There is no easy way to real, sustainable success . You have to earn it.

15 hours ago, keesler said:

I'd love to see how some of the current & former college HC's at other schools would react if their "AD & others" came in and tried to dictate and micromanage them like ours have done to CGM............  There are just some men you don't effing mess with in this profession.

You are right. There are some coaches you just don't mess with... Gus isn't one of those coaches. He hasn't shown that he can do it without guidance from above. There is no better example than that Clemson game. 

13 hours ago, Beenjammin said:

Thanks for this info. How well was the teams seasons corresponding to the hire that year or the year after? No doubt some of those names went on to be great coaches later when they got more experience under their belt, but how well did their team do that first or first couple of years?

Google is your friend. 

You are welcome to Google each of their names and the year. It's not difficult at all finding these things out. 

I'll go ahead and tell you in 1993 Jimbo Fisher, was in his first season as OC Auburn only went undefeated. 

What happened to the next one on the list in his first year?

Follow this method for each question you have. You will be amazed at the results.

Archived