New OC Hired Kenny Dillingham

auburnphan

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, are some of y'all saying that the offence should be able to sub and not give the D an opportunity to do so?

The sub rule was needed and doesn't hurt teams with competent coaches running hurry up. 

On 12/9/2018 at 10:17 PM, RunInRed said:

If Gus is going to call the plays, why do we need an OC?

We don't. All we need is a QB coach and if he carries the meaningless title of OC, so be it. There are plenty of schools where the head coach calls the plays. Auburn with Gus as the head coach and calling the plays may work better. If it fails, then it will clearly be time to go in a different direction.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Nick Marshall progressed as a QB in 2014. Facts 

Statistically by an extremely small amount. 

But I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks Marshall was "better" or more dynamic in year 2 vs year 1. If you ask 100 Auburn fans if they would rather have 2013 Nick or 2014 Nick, I don't see how 95% wouldn't choose '13 Nick

18 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Yeah. I think it helps to throw a sub package in fast that the defense can’t respond to quick enough, also

I don't understand what you are saying.

When the offense subs, the defense gets to sub. There is not subbing faster than the defense can respond anymore...

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

But I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks Marshall was "better" or more dynamic in year 2 vs year 1

Because we tried to make him more of a QB and less of a freak athlete.

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Because we tried to make him more of a QB and less of a freak athlete.

We also lost the core of the offensive line, Tre Mason and an nfl fb

20 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

When the offense subs, the defense gets to sub. There is not subbing faster than the defense can respond anymore...

Before the substitution rule changed Gus’s offense was more effective because of that.

1 minute ago, sevenlee36 said:

Before the substitution rule changed Gus’s offense was more effective because of that.

Gotcha. I had seen you post that earlier. I was just confused about that part. 

I 100% agree with you.

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

We also lost the core of the offensive line, Tre Mason and an nfl fb

I would argue that Jay Prosch was the biggest loss between 2013 and 2014, but that's just me.

27 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

As it should be. The O should never be able to run people in and out so quick the D does t even have a chance to sub. 

49 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Was not  cutting Nick at all.Folks just keep trying to convince theirselves if we had another QB like Nick we could win. Nick wasn’t even a real QB . He was an impressive athelete running the offense. That in itself should explain the joke of an offense that Gus runs. Gus needs to find an offense that can actually use a QB, along with WRs and TEs. 

39 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

In fact let me add this. If Gus would quite searching for another Cam or Nick and actually go find a really good QB ( or use the one he is getting properly) then he might stand a chance. But his whole strategy is built on trying to find a magician that can fool the other team. I have watched a lot of football and one thing that I believe, the best way to win consistently is to convince your team that the guys who work the hardest and give the most effort and heart are usually the ones that walk away with the Win. There is no easy way to real, sustainable success . You have to earn it.

I follow what you're saying now.

Nick was the perfect QB for that particular Offense but since then Gus has either not been successful in recruiting the best DT QB's or not developing the ones he does get.  Instead he's running the same basic Offense but with more Pro-Style/Pocket Passer types hence why so many of us have railed about the "square peg - round hole" garbage he's been doing.

For a long time, as I happen to be a fan of wide open, option style running games (think 1990 Ga Tech or '90's Nebraska) I wanted him to go after nothing but Nick Marshall types.

However, I've had many here (who are more knowledgeable too) give their opinions as to why that's not the best route anymore (ex: D's have caught up, recruit different, rules changes to take away the O's advantage, etc) and I absolutely can buy that.

Therefore, I wouldn't mind him recruiting Stidham or Bo Nix or any quality "mobile" QB if he'd adapt/update his Offense to match.  I think of OU's style as a nice mix of what Gus USED to be able to do but with a better passing philosophy & better "mobile" QB utilization.

So.....I guess we'll see....

31 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I would argue that Jay Prosch was the biggest loss between 2013 and 2014, but that's just me.

Who replaces Chandler Cox

8 minutes ago, wcware said:

Um... After this year? 

Most likely no one. Joiner maybe. I know that Chip didn't like using FBs so we haven't recruited one since Cox. Either we run more 2 TE sets or one of the TEs (hence me saying Joiner) could move. Depends on if Gus wants to stick with the plan of no FBs or if he wants to go back to using one. 

If Gus is actually able to turn Joiner into a do it all... TE/HB/RB hybrid like he did with Charles Clay at Tulsa (which is what the role Joiner was told he would have when he signed) it could be a great replacement for Cox. 

It could also slow down some of the subbing. If we have a guy who can legitimately play 3 positions, depending on where he (Joiner) lines up... The need to sub a specific player on any given play could change.

Who knows. Maybe he could make it work as planned. 

1 hour ago, wcware said:

5 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

If we use a FB, it should be Malik Miller.  Kind of a reverse Kam Pettway story.

What do y'all think about Schenker? 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think I remember some on here weren't very high on him and implied his signing was a favor to someone.  You might find the post if you're good with the search function.  But that's what I vaguely remember. Listed on roster at 6'3" 248, so he'd have the size at least. Wish we could get another Eric Smith from 2009 team.

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

I think I remember some on here weren't very high on him and implied his signing was a favor to someone.  You might find the post if you're good with the search function.  But that's what I vaguely remember. Listed on roster at 6'3" 248, so he'd have the size at least. Wish we could get another Eric Smith from 2009 team.

That's genuine gratitude for the Schenker info and the more rhetorical "THANK YOU" for the Eric Smith reference. I know some other, more-knowledgeable-than-I posters agree. 

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

In fact let me add this. If Gus would quite searching for another Cam or Nick and actually go find a really good QB ( or use the one he is getting properly) then he might stand a chance. But his whole strategy is built on trying to find a magician that can fool the other team. I have watched a lot of football and one thing that I believe, the best way to win consistently is to convince your team that the guys who work the hardest and give the most effort and heart are usually the ones that walk away with the Win. There is no easy way to real, sustainable success . You have to earn it.

I don't think Gus knows what to do at the QB position either in coaching or in recruiting. Or QBs recruiting has been all over the place. White, Queen, Franklin, Willis, Gatewood, Nix, Stidham, Sandberg......about half or more of the "athlete" playing QB mold and the other half or true sit back and throw it types. 

4 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

Wait, are some of y'all saying that the offence should be able to sub and not give the D an opportunity to do so?

The sub rule was needed and doesn't hurt teams with competent coaches running hurry up. 

THANK YOU!  :bow:

This notion that Nick Saban tanked the HUNH/fast-pace offense with a rule change is ludicrous.  There was a time when Gus ran an offense that didn't freaking sub, didn't huddle, and ran at break-neck speed catching the defense out of position and winded.  HE has deviated from that offense, and HE now subs regularly which allows the defense to do the same.

Hell, there are many teams that run variations of Gus' old offense, mixed with new concepts and even throws in some pro-style schemes all in one game.  It's creative, it evolves as the personnel changes and even if our hard headed HC refuses to do it.......some coaches tailor their scheme to the personnel they've worked so damn hard to recruit.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I was thinking Shenker as well; one of the best plays we ran all year involved Shenker and some pulling Guards and we never ran it again all season.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I think he Rocks you like a Hurricane!!!

rudolf-schenker-scorpions-moustache.jpg

25 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

I was thinking Shenker as well; one of the best plays we ran all year involved Shenker and some pulling Guards and we never ran it again all season.

(Wanna see some folks get all the way triggered?)

I bet that was one of Chip's plays. 

8 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Statistically by an extremely small amount. 

But I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks Marshall was "better" or more dynamic in year 2 vs year 1. If you ask 100 Auburn fans if they would rather have 2013 Nick or 2014 Nick, I don't see how 95% wouldn't choose '13 Nick

I wouldnt choose 2013 Nick, 2014 Nick looked like a better player. What you're arguing is the 2013 offensive style and talent vs 2014's....Nick wasn't allowed to run as much in 2014 and the offensive line wasn't good enough for him to get into the second level like the previous year either. 

2014 Nick is definitely a better player though, simply because he looked like a far more comfortable passer

Archived