New OC Hired Kenny Dillingham

auburnphan

1 minute ago, Ber798297 said:

What exactly does a passing game coordinator do?

Probably just a fancier name for WR coach

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, tdburger said:

Fun energy. What a joke. SEC play will tear him a new one. See ya Gus!

That’s the spirit.

11 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

28 years old. sheesh

You got to be kidding me.... Just speechless. I.... just forget it. I give up trying....

Best of luck to him....I wish he and Bo the Best: WDE. I got to quit worrying and let it be. It’s killing my blood pressure and anxiety.

I’m still hoping Stoops is a for real thing for 2020. 

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

If Gus is going to call the plays, why do we need an OC?

Actually there’s more to it than calling plays but yes it sounds odd. Let’s see what happens.

I think most of us knew that this was the route Gus had to go because no experienced OC was going to sign up with Gus knowing he has next year to prove if he will be staying at AU. However, we could've just named Kodi as OC since this kid isn't going to be helping to call any plays. 

Mediocre hire by a medicore coach. Just a warm body to throw in the burning dumpster fire of a program. I hope we pull a USC and don't let stubborn head coach on the bus Oct. 26th. 2019. :byebye:

24 minutes ago, tdburger said:

I hear you. But from what you have heard about this hire on this board, do you see any thing changing?

I’m glad Gus is back to calling the plays. It’s his offensive scheme, it’s his offensive limitations, it’s his baby to take care of. I will not concede a season though. I’m a CFB fan that doesn’t even know how to follow through with that approach. Gus is resilient, a survivor of sorts of do or die seasons, and has outlasted every attempt to get him removed. He bet on himself and I’m going to root for him. There is no other option. 

42 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

I think it’s more everyone feels relief that he is openly admitting to playcalling now and that will leave no doubt if we crash and burn. 

"If"

First smart thing Gus has done all year. 

Finally he Hires a qb coach / recruiter and goes back to calling plays. 

Article where Miami wanted this Oc: 

https://www.stateoftheu.com/2018/12/3/18112927/miami-hurricanes-football-potential-canes-offensive-coordinator-kenny-dillingham-memphis-tigers

... basically he decides on a few plays and Gus chooses. Same thing they are doing at Memphis. This is the role that Gus wanted Bentley to take but he said no. 

Will it work? Not sure but it is the smart move you Gus. 

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m glad Gus is back to calling the plays. It’s his offensive scheme, it’s his offensive limitations, it’s his baby to take care of. I will not concede a while season though. I’m a CFB fan that doesn’t even know how to carry through with that approach. Gus is resilient, a survivor of sorts of do or die seasons, and has outlasted every attempt to get him removed. He bet on himself and I’m going to root for him. There is no other option. 

I always thought he was calling the plays. It always looked liked his offense. Both good and bad. It drove me crazy though. But you are right, it is his baby, let's see what he can  do next year. There is no other option, you are right.

13 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

First smart thing Gus has done all year. 

Finally he Hires a qb coach / recruiter and goes back to calling plays. 

Article where Miami wanted this Oc: 

https://www.stateoftheu.com/2018/12/3/18112927/miami-hurricanes-football-potential-canes-offensive-coordinator-kenny-dillingham-memphis-tigers

... basically he decides on a few plays and Gus chooses. Same thing they are doing at Memphis. This is the role that Gus wanted Bentley to take but he said no. 

Will it work? Not sure but it is the smart move you Gus. 

This is a good article and actually gives me  hope that this was a good move. Seems like one of the best "up and comers" out there.

1 minute ago, tdburger said:

I always thought he was calling the plays. It always looked liked his offense. Both good and bad. It drove me crazy though. But you are right, it is his baby, let's see what he can  do next year. There is no other option, you are right.

I think he did at times. I also think chip did at times. Total cluster. 

IMHO One of the biggest issues messing with our offense last year was a philosophical mismatch between Gus and Chip. I think Chip was in charge, but Gus meddled with his play calling because he didn't like what Chip wanted to do. That slowed things down offensively and stopped us from finding rhythm.

From what I'm reading, this seems like a good fit. The OC doesn't just call plays. They also plan plays and set offensive practice plans. It sounds like he (with Kodi) will do a lot of the behind the scenes work. I also read elsewhere that, at Memphis, Dillingham gave a recommendation of 3 plays to the head coach who ultimately decided which of the 3 to run. If Gus plans to use him the same way, this could work out well. Dillingham gets to do exactly what he did at his last job. Gus gets to be involved in the offense with no push back from the OC. If things work this way, we may lose some of the non-confident play calling and slow game play we had last year. 

I don't think this was the end all be all of problems, and things could still go poorly next year. But this was a good hire in terms of both fit and quality. If Gus can't turn it around with this guy, there is absolutely no shred of confidence left to be had by even the strongest Gus supporter. 

3 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I need some help:

Wasn't this the same reason we hired Chip? QB guy with some passing game elements to his resume? What's different here?

We hired chip to be the offensive coordinator . This guy seems more or less like a true advisor. Give Gus some recommendations and he choose the best option.

5 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I need some help:

Wasn't this the same reason we hired Chip? QB guy with some passing game elements to his resume? What's different here?

I have the same exact question. I don't see how this will be any different from Rhett or Chip. Even before Chip mostly called the plays...i guess some forgot about when Gus was calling the plays with Rhett. 2013 with NM looked great with Gus calling plays...BUT ummm....we don't have a NM on our roster. Certainly not saying Malik can't be a good QB but unless have an impact QB like NM or Cam...i don't see much difference than before. He only has 2 years of QB coaching experience. 

Archived