New OC Hired Kenny Dillingham

auburnphan

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

This is kind of what most expected after Freeze and Bentley turned it down.  Gus would call plays and we'd bring in a good QB guy.  To me, that's exactly what this is.  From what I remember about Memphis, they have had very good QB play the last few years.

Memphis bio

TIGERS MIC'D UP - COACH DILLINGHAM

Really good article from when Miami was chasing him

From the last article, "The Norvell system of play calling is that Norvell makes a decision between two or three plays suggested by his offensive coordinator."

This would work out beautifully if Gus would do the same thing.

In this scenario, technically, Gus would be calling the plays in the sense that he was the last one to communicate it to the offense. Maybe this same method will be utilized.

I am not on the Gus brigade, but I am on record as saying this is the route he should go; call plays and get a decent QB coach.

We'll see...

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most positive thing I saw in the announcement is that Gus is calling the plays.  So there is no one left to fall on their sword if it doesn’t work.  It’s all on Gus.  Get it done or don’t let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.  I like it.   

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

No. All you can do is laugh really. Gus thinks the problem was that he was not calling plays full time. LMAO. He really just does not get it.

Quote of the year !  Gus cannot understand that coaches have adjusted to his offense. It doesn’t mater who calls it or how you dress it up they know what’s coming and therefore will beat it. This pretty much settles it that they are going to ride into 2019 with Gus . Sometime next year we will be looking for a new coach, AD and president all.

7 hours ago, Beenjammin said:

You got to be kidding me.... Just speechless. I.... just forget it. I give up trying....

Best of luck to him....I wish he and Bo the Best: WDE. I got to quit worrying and let it be. It’s killing my blood pressure and anxiety.

I’m still hoping Stoops is a for real thing for 2020. 

Yeah, because anyone on here 28 and under is an incompetent moron, whatever he does for a living. :-\

(That'll bring 'em out of the woodwork...)

1 minute ago, WDEDothan1976 said:

I would say this is a great hire, BUT it just shows that Gus doesn't trust anybody with play calling.  I personally think he should let his coordinator make the play calls.  

It’s really not so much the play calling as it is the plays. He doesn’t understand he needs to refine his game. He thinks that it’s just execution. 

Well,...I’ll eat a heaping plate of crow if this works as well as has the potential. 

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

I'd say it's a solid hire, but he won't get to do the job that his title suggests because someone is too stubborn to get off his high horse. But at least everyone will have no one to blame but Gus. There's no more scapegoat. I hope Gus reconsiders being the full-time playcaller, because his butt is on the line and is on fire from the temperature of that hot seat. Lord have mercy.

33 minutes ago, WDEDothan1976 said:

I would say this is a great hire, BUT it just shows that Gus doesn't trust anybody with play calling.  I personally think he should let his coordinator make the play calls.  

No more scapegoats!

My take. OC in name only. QB coach, I really hope he is a good one, we have needed a QB coach for ever. It said he also coached tight ends, that's good now we can let him coach both QB's and TE's and fire Horton and move Porter to RB coach and maybe sign some top RB's for a change. And like every one has said I'm fine with Gus calling the plays atleast we know now who is at fault when we run up the middle 17 times in a row.

I don't blame Gus for taking back over the play calling duties. He probably realizes that this is his last chance to save his job. If I was in that situation, I'd want a little more control than being the CEO. Also, Gus has called some great offenses in his career. It's not like we have Chiz calling plays. Gus is more qualified to call plays in the SEC than anyone on his staff.

In Bird category of needing to digest this...first reaction was Nallsminger II but then again if I were Gus I'd sink or swim now with what got me hired in the first place - MY offensive mind. Chizik (IMO the defensive mind of his generation) rode all the way down without intervening on a couple usually good DC's doing dreadful jobs at AU. I'm trying to not get too hung up on labels "offensive coordinator" and passing coordinator which may or may not describe what's going on. 

Recent history means Dill was hired with his eyes wide open.

I'd be excited if I was Nix or Willis and wishing I had waited to decide if I was Bryant.

I like the hire and I like the fact that CGM said he would "go back" to calling plays.. ummm when did he stop calling plays?  Leave this guy alone and let him work his magic on our QBs..  I don't know what to say about Kodi and his new promotion.. SMH.. does that title really matter? 

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

He coordinate's passing. :gofig:

He organizes the 4 routes on colored index cards and comes up with creative names for them.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Passing game coordinator? Our wr catch a screen runs a 7 yard out when we need 10; and the fly route......that's it. So what is this job? Clearly for us it's part time.....

Passing Game Coordinator.

"I didn't get that promotion or a raise, but I did get a really cool title and Thursdays off..." 

I'm curious about this suggest three plays and pick one set-up.  It would seem if you are a pretty good negotiator or manipulator that you could in a sense be calling the plays yourself?  Depends on how you set-up your multiple choice test.  Three suitable choices with one best answer, 2 suitable and one obvious outlier, or two outliers and one choice.  It would seem with some experience you could frame plays you'd like to see run.  I'm sure if the play Malzahn was going to call was left out of the set he would just trump it, but maybe if this fails a couple of times he'd stick to picking from the set?  Probably just wishful thinking.

Well no matter what happens at least we can get on with cruit'n and the bowl game.

Did not Gus stop calling plays because it was not working and he was getting killed?  Why would it be different now?  Every DC has read his book and figured out what he is doing.  I believe without him shaking things up, he will fail again. If I know what play he is going to call 90% of the time so does everyone else.  You can say it is about the execution, but if you know what play is coming you got a great chance of stopping it. Hope he looks in the mirror and figures things out.  

4 minutes ago, kdog0405 said:

If I know what play he is going to call 90% of the time so does everyone else.  You can say it is about the execution, but if you know what play is coming you got a great chance of stopping it. Hope he looks in the mirror and figures things out.  

i don't think his myoptic vision will allow him to see this....i'm agreeing with doc that norvell should be in our crosshairs for next years coaching search....as far as the new OC, i am surprised that he was able to hire anybody outside of kodi burns

I think this is a pretty good hire and the arrangement removes the facade of an OC apart from Gus. I hope it works but I have a gut feeling about how it will play out. So:

8B74639E-7472-463F-B1E0-978C566E9B10.gif

8 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I need some help:

Wasn't this the same reason we hired Chip? QB guy with some passing game elements to his resume? What's different here?

The difference here is Gus is not faking anyone out by saying he's retiring his clipboard only to meddle in Chip's gameplan and play-calling. The responsibilities at least look to be well-defined going into it this time around, so that should alleviate some of the on-field confusion that existed between Gus and Chip (and by extension, the offensive players).

10 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Dilli dilli!

This is bound to go down in history, whether next season turns out good or bad. If the former, it will rival 'War Eagle!' (maybe, but not really, but maybe like 'War Damn!'). If the latter, it will rival 'War Eagle, anyways'.

Archived