New OC Hired Kenny Dillingham

auburnphan

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Publicly or not, at least there is no confusion about it and success of offense will clearly rest with him.   I doubt this will stop the sniping at Gus but maybe, just maybe, some folks will give the new team a chance before pounding them too hard. Now we need a solid QB...

JMO but this is the direction I hoped we would go.....and glad it's been sorted out before signing day so everyone knows what to expect

100% agree. Whether people like it or not, this method can clearly identify where the blame and/or praise should go.

And like you said, the focus for 2019 should be identifying a starting QB.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah I won’t lie that Martin mom thing got me in my feelings forreal lol. Probably a little harsh on my rebuttals but I just couldn’t let it ride.

We should all be in our feelings about that. And the most unfortunate thing is that Gus already had a small stack of utterly baffling, indefensible decisions since becoming HC, so this one was pretty believable. 

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

This is kind of what most expected after Freeze and Bentley turned it down.  Gus would call plays and we'd bring in a good QB guy.  To me, that's exactly what this is.  From what I remember about Memphis, they have had very good QB play the last few years.

Memphis bio

TIGERS MIC'D UP - COACH DILLINGHAM

Really good article from when Miami was chasing him

From the last article, "The Norvell system of play calling is that Norvell makes a decision between two or three plays suggested by his offensive coordinator."

This would work out beautifully if Gus would do the same thing.

If you haven't yet, watch the Mic'd Up portion. He's young, but he clearly has an understanding of the nuances of being a Quarterback. He stresses fundamentals, execution, and stays on top of his players. 

One play in particular stuck out to me- on a triple-option play, the QB read "keep" for the handoff mesh, then read "pitch" for the 2nd read. After gaining ~10-15 yards, Kenny ran up to the WR, told him he had a good block, but if he held it 0.5 second longer, they would've scored. That's the kind of "keep pushing, always get better" mentality that exists at places like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. and is one of the reasons they haven't "fallen off", despite losing talent year after year. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to formally announce your future Auburn University head football coach: KENNY DILLINGHAM!!

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to formally announce your future Auburn University head football coach: KENNY DILLINGHAM!!

To tbe pit of misery!!

Dilly Dilly!!

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

What are the chances we make use of CKD's ability to adapt?

This is what I was thinking towards lol. That’s the biggest thing that most of us have against Gus, is that he doesn’t adapt. I think the chances are small, however, there is a chance. Just found it interesting that he used a word that we aren’t used to here on his first day haha.

23 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Pretty sure Gus never gave up the play-calling. I’m glad some feel

better but I’m pretty sure you won’t like the final result. Folks keep wanting Gus to go back to what he did earlier. He never quit doing it. Defenses just adapted to it. He used Rhett and Chip in place to make it seem like he was changing and he did use a little of their offense and for the most part their offense worked. Then Gus would go back to his .  The problem is you will see his old offense will Still

not work. He will never upgrade his offense.

I mean I understand this isn't likley to be permanent, but I like this more than bringing in a new offensive coordinator and having him be gone next year. With Dilli, at least we have a guy who can spend time with our QBs. 

So Gus is calling plays and we don't have a Cam Newton/Nick Marshall coming in.  Therefore, we based on 2009, 2011, and 2014-2018 we can expect 4-6 losses.  Good luck Coach Dillingham!

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I wouldn't hold your breath. It will be more of the same next season. Changing the OC is just rearranging the deck chairs

This whole thing will play out one way or the other next year. The die is cast, we move on. Dillingham does look like a good hire especially for our QBs. I'm hoping Auburn has a very good season.

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I would like to "thumbs up" selias' reaction to this post.

11 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Moving forward, Malzahn will return to offensive play calling duties for Auburn, as he did during his first three years as the Tigers' head coach.

Three?

How about all six.  OC is just a bag holder position here. 

Good luck Coach Dillingham.  I'll just say I'm sorry ahead of time.  

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

.  Gus is more respected outside of AU....

While this may be true it has reasons.   Lots of people do not know who Auburn is or follow Auburn.   The more people pay attention the less inclined they are to support him. 

Agree with the rest of your post though.

Hypothetical...Willis or Nix has a great year, Boobie has a great year, OL looks great, and defense looks great.  We win the SEC and maybe lose in the playoffs.  Does Gus stay and get a raise/extension...or do we part ways anyway because it's cheaper and we still don't like his inconsistency? 

I’d imagine Gus will be calling all the plays for the bowl game.  That should be very telling as to who was driving the offense this year.  I have a hard time wrapping my head around Miss State and UGA if Gus was in control those games.  UGA I believe Auburn only had 13 designed runs called all game between Worm and Boobie.  Miss State Boobie was averaging 8 yards a carry but had less than 10 carries.  The ole Gus run them into the ground wasn’t present in those games instead Auburn threw it 35 times for 150 yards.  Even when Auburn had Cam they rarely threw it for more than 20 times.  Where was the fake end around long bomb all year?  That’s Gus’s bread and butter.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Hypothetical...Willis or Nix has a great year, Boobie has a great year, OL looks great, and defense looks great.  We win the SEC and maybe lose in the playoffs.  Does Gus stay and get a raise/extension...or do we part ways anyway because it's cheaper and we still don't like his inconsistency? 

He won’t get another dang raise unless he wins it all. He would be safe though. We would look like fools to fire him after winning the SEC.

2 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

If we get to the playoffs, then Gus has made good on the raise/extension he already received and he deserves to stay. If he asks for a penny more, we tell him that we hear Fayetteville is quite lovely in the fall. And that Buffalo is not. And that we really don't care, but he's not spending next fall in Auburn.

That is obviously the emotional, simplistic response. Pragmatically speaking, I'm not sure if we would have to play ball or not if he wanted to renegotiate. But I think getting to the playoffs would earn him the right to keep his job, absolutely. 

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

If Gus has a good showing this year, - say 8+ wins - , we'll have a hard time firing him, especially if we're ranked.  Lots of people disagree with me, but that's my opinion and this is Auburn.  No raise, though and no extension, even if he wins the SEC. 

Some comments have been made about this announcement coming out so late at night. 

I would assume that between the recruitment weekend, the senior banquet, and then (I’m guessing) a team meeting to announce the hire, might be why it was so late? 

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Anyone here worrying about this guy's age doesn't pay attention to football.  The head coach of the 11-2 L.A. Rams is 32.  He was given the job right after he turned 30.  More and more guys in their 30s are being given big time head coaching gigs in college too (see Oklahoma and Ohio State).  Being older doesn't necessarily equate to better.  And if Gus is calling plays anyway, who really cares about this guy being 28? 

Yep. Major Applewhite was 29 when he was the OC for Saban at Bama.

I couldn' tell Kenny Dillingham from Kenny Chesney before today, but given he was being courted by Mark Richt at Miami and is seen as an "up and coming" OC, I don't think this is a bad hire. Mike Norvell has been losing assistants to the Power 5 every year. It is a testimony to his program.

31 minutes ago, gravejd said:

i do find it odd the QB coach is not the passing game coordinator. Would have made more sense if he came in as OC/QB coach and passing game coordinator and then give kodi the running game coordinator title of whatever. I know its all just titles and this knew guy will instruct QBs in practice and Kodi will instruct WRs. But just found the dissecting of responsibilities odd

This was my first thought, then I realized it was pure Gus.  By naming CKB as the passing coordinator, Gus has essentially shut off CKD’s voice in any changes to his passing offense.  Gus will call the plays, which is a good thing, but his plays will not change and I doubt the route tree for the WR will change.  CKD is here to work on the QB’s execution period.  If the QBs can execute the play will be successful in Gus’ mind.  Just my speculation, I guess we’ll see what can happen in the A day game.

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

If Gus has a good showing this year, - say 8+ wins - , we'll have a hard time firing him, especially if we're ranked.  Lots of people disagree with me, but that's my opinion and this is Auburn.  No raise, though and no extension, even if he wins the SEC. 

I agree with you, but it does not mean I have to like it!!!   lol

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

This was my first thought, then I realized it was pure Gus.  By naming CKB as the passing coordinator, Gus has essentially shut off CKD’s voice in any changes to his passing offense.  Gus will call the plays, which is a good thing, but his plays will not change and I doubt the route tree for the WR will change.  CKD is here to work on the QB’s execution period.  If the QBs can execute the play will be successful in Gus’ mind.  Just my speculation, I guess we’ll see what can happen in the A day game.

"We woulda won it all if the QB woulda executed." -G. Malzahn

Edit: Sorry, I read too fast and skipped over the part where you said that already. I agree. He tends to think that our failures are on the players. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

"We woulda won it all if the QB woulda executed." -G. Malzahn

Or in the Clemson 2016 game, “We would have won if all the QBs would have executed”.  -G. Malzhan.

Archived