Bowl Preparations

alexava

57 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes. Player by player Auburn was more talented than UCF.  Does necessarily mean they were the better team. 

If you know you're mismatched at the talent level, you counter that with speed... *light bulb* Ohhhhhhhhh... crap.

Kidding.. sort of.. Flash and Worm are fast and talented. lol

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Yep that's what I thought.  Wanting to win the Bowl Game is the ONLY reason I can see for playing Stidham.  Unfortunately, I don't think we will win either way, and would rather use those 15 bowl practices as a head start on determining the starting QB for next year.  God knows Gus will need as much time as possible for that.  And, at least the QB would be "live" in the Bowl Game and that will be the ONLY live experience they will get before starting against Oregon next year.

When has Gus ever played a backup QB with the full playbook available to him?  Maybe a handful of times, one being the UGA 2014 game.  Most of the times it is in mop up duty.  Even when the starter is ineffective, like SW in the 2016 UGA game or several times this year with Stidham, he doesn’t play the backup.  He has to trust the backup and he doesn’t. 

This year’s Liberty game was evidence of this as Malik Willis came in and made a bad decision with regard to the zone read and got the stink eye from Gus as he left.  I would love to see every QB play in the bowl game just to see what we have, but that’s my wish and Gus doesn’t care what my wants are.  I just hope he is there to win the game and show the world he can handle being the HC and OC.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yeah I'm sure everyone wanted that Oklahoma game as well. However some of us were realistic and knew we basically had no chance in that game. We backed into the Sugar Bowl. We had no business even being in that bowl. We weren't the best team in the SEC, not by far. 

Very true about AU's chances in that game.  I was simply pointing out that there are certain bowl matchups that are exciting to us fans and we want AU to win badly, but we are, admittedly, guilty of not being too pumped about "lesser" bowls against "un-exciting" teams.

But, I doubt Auburn holds a patent on that fact.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Yep that's what I thought.  Wanting to win the Bowl Game is the ONLY reason I can see for playing Stidham.  Unfortunately, I don't think we will win either way, and would rather use those 15 bowl practices as a head start on determining the starting QB for next year.  God knows Gus will need as much time as possible for that.  And, at least the QB would be "live" in the Bowl Game and that will be the ONLY live experience they will get before starting against Oregon next year.

I keep forgetting it's that many practices. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Those of you saying that this bowl games does not matter are crazy. Gus needs and better win this one. 

First, I agree this bowl matters.  Especially since the cat's finally outta the bag and Gus has admitted he's the defacto OC regardless.  Him + Dilli Dilli makes the game a bit more intriguing + I'm still kinda liking Jeff Brohm so it'll be interesting seeing him vs Gus (not that I'm pulling against Auburn, please don't take it that way).

Second, your 2nd sentence is intriguing.  Why?  Isn't his job certified as safe until next year?

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

If you really break it down player by player and take the name of the universities away, was AU really more talented? Their QB hasn’t lost a game in two years.    I’m just not sold on the talent that some claim that AU has on the team.    

#18, the one handed defensive end...... was the best player I saw all of last year.  Take him out of that lineup and we win by two scores even as bad as we played. This was as aggravated as I’ve been at Gus. After about 2 quarters of play you have to call plays and dedicate a fullback to chip him or run away from his side. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I wanted that Oklahoma game so damned badly. Unfortunately, so did Oklahoma. 

Yeah we showed them...........by scoring on the last play....take that sooner:brickwall:

If Gus loses this bowl game, that will add another bullet to the chamber for those who want to fire him and will add another doubt for those who support him. I am sure the supporters will deny that likely impact right now, but it will plant another seed of doubt. 

BTW, if Stidham is out to lunch during the game, put him on the bench and move on. 

9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Yeah we showed them...........by scoring on the last play....take that sooner:brickwall:

To be fair, we did lose our starting QB early in the game.  

6 hours ago, triangletiger said:

To be fair, we did lose our starting QB early in the game.  

At the end of an opening game scoring drive. 

As far as this bowl game with Purdue, nobody seems to be focusing on our defense. The performance of our defense will be the key to winning this game just like it was last year. Against UCF we scored 27 points but our defense gave up 34 points. Our defense is going to have to be ready to play for us to win this game.

12 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

As far as this bowl game with Purdue, nobody seems to be focusing on our defense. The performance of our defense will be the key to winning this game just like it was last year. Against UCF we scored 27 points but our defense gave up 34 points. Our defense is going to have to be ready to play for us to win this game.

Last solid game by the D was some time ago...hope they got their mojo back.

11 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

No, the defense only gave up 27 points, 7 of which came after our offense fumbled the ball on our own 21 yard line. And check out the drive chart. 4 3-and-outs, a fumble and 2 picks (one of which was returned for a touchdown), one possession of 5 plays for -1 yards, and even one of our touchdowns was a 2 play, 55 second, 26 yard "drive" after a long kick return coming out of the half. Our defense played mediocre football but our offense was hot garbage. 

Perfect matchup - two utterly unpredictable teams IMHO. Purdue beat a healthy Ohio State team this season by over 4 (four) TDs but on other weekends Purdue looked like a high school team. We beat current #9 & Pac 10 champ Huskies in Sept, lost to a dreadful Vols squad at home in October, then beat current media darlings Tex A&M in November. Prep for this bowl game will be a game film studier's dream - HOW can teams be that good and that bad in the same season? Especially when your coach walks on water like Brohm (at least according to an AU poster or 2 here).;)

I too question just how much this game would help boost, if at all, Stidham's draft stock. Not long ago he was in Kipper's #10 slot, and there's really not a whole lot of difference when it comes to getting drafted 5th, 6th, or 7th round. But if he really believes it will boost his stock, I think the guy deserves the opportunity.

Personally, I agree with many others, I don't think it will make a difference. Therefore I would prefer we play our other QBs. My vote would be Cord...

Malik Willis, from the chatter, seems to be struggling. Not just on the field but in practice as well. I suspect the reason the staff maintained his backup status was purely out of experience with the system.

Sandberg and Gatewood now have a season in the system under their belts. Gatewood due to injury understandbly could be slightly behind. Plus factor in that had not taken a single snap all year. I wonder if the injury is not still lingering given that he could have played the Liberty game with no threat to his redshirt. 

And since Bo would be neither eligible nor prepared enough, I think Cord Sandberg is who I would play in lieu of Stidham.

18 hours ago, McLoofus said:

No, the defense only gave up 27 points, 7 of which came after our offense fumbled the ball on our own 21 yard line. And check out the drive chart. 4 3-and-outs, a fumble and 2 picks (one of which was returned for a touchdown), one possession of 5 plays for -1 yards, and even one of our touchdowns was a 2 play, 55 second, 26 yard "drive" after a long kick return coming out of the half. Our defense played mediocre football but our offense was hot garbage. 

Oh great, thanks for reminding me of the excruciating drive details, lol. But why would you want to remember them and subject yourself to that kind of pain ? That sounds like several games this year doesn't it. Anyway, in spite of the drives at least the offense managed to score 27 points so that was a step in the right direction. Ok, the defense gave up 27 of 34 points. My main point was our defense is going to have to do better than that for us to have a chance to win this game, especially with this year's offense.

Give the seniors the first half and the second half to the young returning players...and every QB returning should at least get a series...

This is what I guess a lot of Tiger fans would like to see....

IMO if Stidham does play then Gus badly needs to win this game regardless of his job being safe at least for next season. If Stidham doesn't play by some chance then Gus could in effect have somewhat of a Mulligan and by that I mean forgiveness. If he truly used the whole offense with Willis and/or Sandberg then at least we would see where his mindset is changed and he's thinking development. The choice is this.. do you do the safe thing and try to win this game even though that safe decision is the same decision that played just above .500 ball all year or do you take the gamble and place an early bet on the Oregon game by playing Willis? 

15 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Biggest issue we had was never being able to establish the run. Came out of halftime and scored 2 TDs and tried to get the run game going and stalled on a few series before UCF was able to regain the lead. Then we leaned on Stidham/Hastings for a pass happy late 4th quarter. 

Our OL issues were just as prevalent last year in the run game. We struggled to run against Mercer, LA Monroe (Or was it La Tech?) and UCF. We were under 3ypc in all of those I believe.

7 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Biggest issue we had was never being able to establish the run. Came out of halftime and scored 2 TDs and tried to get the run game going and stalled on a few series before UCF was able to regain the lead. Then we leaned on Stidham/Hastings for a pass happy late 4th quarter. 

Our OL issues were just as prevalent last year in the run game. We struggled to run against Mercer, LA Monroe (Or was it La Tech?) and UCF. We were under 3ypc in all of those I believe.

Yep. For all of the chest beating that some want to do about our rushing totals on the season, KJ was 14th in the league in YPC among RBs. And what's scary is it would have been much lower if he weren't such a phenomenal back. 

10 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Oh great, thanks for reminding me of the excruciating drive details, lol. But why would you want to remember them and subject yourself to that kind of pain ? That sounds like several games this year doesn't it. Anyway, in spite of the drives at least the offense managed to score 27 points so that was a step in the right direction. Ok, the defense gave up 27 of 34 points. My main point was our defense is going to have to do better than that for us to have a chance to win this game, especially with this year's offense.

Hah! Totally agree with you.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yep. For all of the chest beating that some want to do about our rushing totals on the season, KJ was 14th in the league in YPC among RBs. And what's scary is it would have been much lower if he weren't such a phenomenal back. 

You could say we were also 14th in tbe league because there were not capable backs behind KJ as well. That, and well, Kerryon didn’t really bust out a whole lot of big runs that year.

Archived