AURex

After the Gonzaga game, I gotta think that the Vols are our scariest rival this season. Of course, The Admiral was unconscious in the second half, especially down the stretch, and he will not be that guy every game (probably). But still, the starting five on this team are playing together, they play excellent defense, and they rebound, rebound, rebound at both ends of the floor. They are tough minded and disciplined on offense. Coach Barnes has them playing with energy, dedication, and a belief that they can win if they play every possession to their potential.

Auburn and Tennessee play very different styles of BB. With Kentucky flailing around with their me-first crop, and Miss State competitive but showing weaknesses, as things stand right now, you gotta wonder if the last game of the season between the Tigers and the Vols will determine the SEC regular season championship.

Of course, it is way premature to be looking that far ahead. As we saw last season, one key injury can do real damage, while the emergence of players (maybe Purifoy) introduce unknown advantages (or not).

But the fact is, the game between Tennessee and Gonzaga was exciting basketball. Really exciting basketball at a national level.

And what it really showed the country (and Auburn vs Duke did not) is that the SEC is not just a football conference.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UT is relentless on the boards and more physical than us....their big guys know how to use their bodies,even the monster of a freshman,poons,ponds......mac, chuma have got to stop being passive...wiley and horace are physical on the boards, but tend to foul.....UT is better than i thought and still have turner coming back at some point in the future....he can shoot,too.....purifoy will help a bunch, but right now, i don't like our chances against them....last game of the season?....things may be different....we pretty good, though

Tenn. is a JR, SR laden team and as such have played together for a while. Auburn has a good mixture of players with a lot of Juniors and Seniors also but because of suspensions, Transfers, etc. have not played as a unit as long as Tenn. That has something to do with the slight difference in the way Tenn is playing versus Auburn.  I think we are lucky that we are playing them at the end of the season. By that point we should be a more cohesive unit. Hopefully Wiley will be at his peak and we can match their physicality and I believe our Defense will give them trouble. It will probably come down to which team is hot that night hitting their 3's.  

I believe playing at home might make the difference.  Assuming both teams stay healthy this could easily decide the SEC championship and the seeding in the national championship.  Right now I believe we are a two seed and Tenn is a 1 seed but a lot can change during the next 3 months.

It's a three horse race....and with Tennessee coming here...and barring injury I believe we will be very prepared for whatever they throw our way. 

2 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Kentucky is flaying about now, but by the time the big Dance comes around they will be playing good ball. 

if it were not for washington, they would be in a real fix.....i would love to have a big dude that can move his feet like he does....very smooth big man and does not get the ball enough.....i would not be surprised if we beat them in rupp

AURex said it best to me-- Auburn and Tennessee play very different styles of BB .  When you look at Auburn and Bruce Pearl Basketball there is one oddity, and it is our only 5 star player-Wiley.  Everyone else is very athletic . while Wiley still plays like a big man.  That is why he still comes in off the bench.  If we can get Wiley to dominate his man while he is in there consistently it gives us another option when being zoned and the 3 being well defensed.  Then we can go inside and push it back out when they have to double team Wiley....

If we get hot in the future Bruce Pearl Arena there are not many teams that can beat us. That game is going to be must-see-TV as far as things stand now. 

Glad we are playing them at the end of the season. They are a hell of a team. 

16 hours ago, AURex said:

And what it really showed the country (and Auburn vs Duke did not) is that the SEC is not just a football conference

I don't think the AU/Duke game represented us very well at all.  The officiating was so one sided that we weren't given a chance to even be in that game.  Duke had 21 FT attempts in the first half, AU had 0!  I thought we showed pretty well considering we were playing 5 on 8.

3 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I don't think the AU/Duke game represented us very well at all.  The officiating was so one sided that we weren't given a chance to even be in that game.  Duke had 21 FT attempts in the first half, AU had 0!  I thought we showed pretty well considering we were playing 5 on 8.

Some of this disparity was the result of the play style. Auburn heaving up three pointers from all over, while Duke played more under the basket. The former style does not lend to many fouls being called.

We played a team recently that didn’t get a FT attempt until about 8 minutes into the second half.  I didn’t like the officiating in the duke game but we didn’t help ourselves and that’s on auburn somewhat

23 hours ago, AUGoo said:

This happens when you come down make one pass and shoot a three, you don't give the official a chance to even make a judgement call

keep an eye on UT getting favorable treatment from the whistles....i don't trust the average official in college sports to begin with because of the gambling industry,so i will not speak very highly of them at any time,especially in college basketball....right now,memphis is getting railroaded at HOME.....every time memphis make a run,here come the birdcalls and replays show there is a large percentage that were just obviously bad

Kudos to them for knocking down all their shots late in the Gonzaga game, but my god, the Zags gave that game away down the stretch by just playing absolutely atrocious defense. Almost all the threes that Tennessee made were uncontested and the final shot that schoefield made was just disgraceful how open he was. Credit to them for making the shots thoguh, but they should've been handed their second loss in that one.

Grant Williams is gonna foul out when he comes to Auburn arena. He won't be able to handle either Austin or Chuma

It helps us that we play them alot later on in the season, gives Purifoy a better chance to mesh with the roster, plus it allows us to figure out defensive plans against all type of offenses 

If we can just zone out Grant Williams and Schofeld, we got a pretty high chance

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Schofeld

williams gets the pub, but i do think this guy is their best player, at least so far.....he has played at a very high level in all of the games that i have seen....it remains to be seen how things shake out with them when turner gets back....he was their shooter last year....i hope it affects the chemistry but if it don't, they will be the best team in america, and may be as it is...had williams not fouled out, they would have beaten kansas and almost did anyway....if we can keep improving and keep egos where they belong,share the ball and face it, we have to get better on the boards, the last game of the year could play out to be a classic

2 hours ago, doverstutts said:

williams gets the pub, but i do think this guy is their best player, at least so far.....he has played at a very high level in all of the games that i have seen....it remains to be seen how things shake out with them when turner gets back....he was their shooter last year....i hope it affects the chemistry but if it don't, they will be the best team in america, and may be as it is...had williams not fouled out, they would have beaten kansas and almost did anyway....if we can keep improving and keep egos where they belong,share the ball and face it, we have to get better on the boards, the last game of the year could play out to be a classic

well hey, as long we beat them once, have them get upset by someone else in the SEC during the tourney (good luck) and allow them to be fed to the same corner of the bracket as Duke, then they won't be a problem 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

well hey, as long we beat them once, have them get upset by someone else in the SEC during the tourney (good luck) and allow them to be fed to the same corner of the bracket as Duke, then they won't be a problem 

You think we're going to go undefeated in conference play? Arky, Lsu, miss st, bammer all can beat us if they play right

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You think we're going to go undefeated in conference play? Arky, Lsu, miss st, bammer all can beat us if they play right

I’m just thinking in terms of direction. They could’ve went nearly undefeated last year in conference (I don’t know how one would win in the swamp) if Mac didn’t get hurt. Virtually everyone in conf looks worse except UT and MSU, LSU is like neutral 

they might mot, but they definitely could

29 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

if this team plays like it as the last 3, going .500 is what will happen....open them eyes, we got a long way to go be a threat to win the conference

Yep...we have not played a team in the top 25 yet and only have maybe 3 on our schedule. 

There is no real reason for us to be ranked where we are....and while I am happy to see it...I don't believe we are 8th best team in Div.1....JMO.

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’m just thinking in terms of direction. They could’ve went nearly undefeated last year in conference (I don’t know how one would win in the swamp) if Mac didn’t get hurt. Virtually everyone in conf looks worse except UT and MSU, LSU is like neutral 

they might mot, but they definitely could

If you have a good lead guard you can beat anybody on a given night. Imo

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

If you have a good lead guard you can beat anybody on a given night. Imo

Very true, the advantage there is that we have the best in this conference. Who do you have in the same tier in Jared? I haven’t watched the rest of the sec too much 

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Very true, the advantage there is that we have the best in this conference. Who do you have in the same tier in Jared? I haven’t watched the rest of the sec too much 

Lewis for Alabama is going to give him everything he wants and he should be a senior in high school. Garland was the best in this conference but he was hurt. I'm not saying these guys are better but if they aren't they're close but Waterford I think that's his name for lsu and the PG for miss st.

But it depends what you asking because to be honest Harper probably won't guard most of them and they don't get to play in a system where they had free reign to shoot whenever they want

Oh and if he matched up my cousin he could go shot for shot with him easy...but he has to defer to Williams and schofield

Archived