Dream Conference Realignment

AUght2win

24 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

actually did.  Below is the direct quote from this very thread when I posted it this morning

Ohh... 

And that push isn't coming from the SEC, which you are so vehemently defending here.  In fact, the SEC is steadfast in its stance the championship game is here to stay.  This from the commish:

The SEC isn’t agreeing to the CC, an extra conference game, the normal P5 non conference contender, and an 8 team playoff. No way in the world that happens. 

All three of these are juvenile responses

You were the one saying that I hadn’t brouhht up Oklahoma or Clemson. Pot and Kettle. I already said why Clemson was in and let me remind you it wasn’t glowing with praise. 

So you say "they beat Michigan before Michigan was rolling" and I point out that ND wasn't rolling yet either, while giving evidence that ND made a QB change weeks after the UM game.  

You cannot say they were not rolling. They never lost. 

Do you think I read or memorize every post you make on here?  You pointed out deficiencies in teams that ND played by specifically mentioning unit rankings. I pointed out that unit rankings don't tell the whole story and used OU and the KC Chiefs defenses as examples.  God forbid you actually understand the debate being had, especially on a point that you brought up.

I said “crap schedule get a conference championship game.”  Don’t talk about my reading comprehension when all you do is cherry pick my points. 

Yep, they all played very tough schedules.  Congrats to them.  Those also aren't the only teams in college football.  Also a fact

And two of them which you admit had a tougher schedule than Notre Dame had to play in a CC.  Notre Dame rolled through the weak P5 games with many in the 5-7 to 7-5 range, but yet you think Bama and Georgia needed a conference championship game to get on the same footing with Notre Dame just because Bama played Citadel and Notre Dame played Ball State. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Nope. It doesn’t “need to.” The SEC had the opportunity to put two conference teams into the playoff two years in a row now. Until our SOS goes down and our teams decline, we don’t have to do anything. 

The need for it to happen has absolutely nothing to do with the playoff. Nobody is worried about that. It has to do with better football and more money. It's also just more fun. Auburn has only 12 opportunities to play a year. Wouldn't you rather see another conference opponent instead of Liberty or Mercer? 

22 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The SEC isn’t agreeing to the CC, an extra conference game, the normal P5 non conference contender, and an 8 team playoff. No way in the world that happens. 

We'll see.  There's too much money involved not to do it over the long term.  Attendance is beginning to slack off during those cupcake games and the schools get more TV revenue by offering more conference games to the networks.  Money talks and this is a business first and foremost.  Add in the fact that three coaches at some of the most powerful schools in the league are pushing for 9 games, then I think we will only see move the needle more in that direction.  Maybe not in the next year or two, but it will happen eventually.

You cannot say they were not rolling. They never lost. 

Yes you can. It was game one.  Would you say Auburn was rolling from game one in 2010?  We almost lost in weeks 2, 3, & 4.  I wouldn't call that rolling.  More like surviving.

I said crap schedule or conference championship game. Don’t talk about my reading comprehension when all you do is cherry pick my points. 

Your argument did not end with crap schedule or conference championship game.  You also went out of your way to point out statistical unit rankings.  All I did was blow holes in your examples of a "crap schedule" and those statistical bearings by giving you OU as a counterpoint.  My cherry-picking was actually at the basis of your point.

And two of them which you admit had a tougher schedule than Notre Dame had to play in a CC.  Notre Dame rolled through the weak P5 games with many in the 5-7 to 7-5 range, but yet you think Bama and Georgia needed a conference game to get on the same footing with Notre Dame just because Bama played Citadel and Notre Dame played Ball State. 

OU and Clemson also rolled through schedules with many 5-7 to 7-5 teams.  They're in the playoffs too.  This isn't just an ND vs the SEC argument that I'm making.  I'm looking at it from an entire college football landscape POV and you want to view it from an SEC only lens.  That's the biggest difference I see in this debate.

As a side note, I don't know why you felt the need to re-engage with me tonight.  Seemed like earlier today you felt we wouldn't ever agree and that was cool.  I was fine to leave it at that too because everyone has opinions and it's football, so big whoop.  Hell man, I gave you my dream scenario for college football at the outset of this conversation.  Not exactly sure what else you want from me.

47 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Wouldn't you rather see another conference opponent instead of Liberty or Mercer? 

Well hells bells, I wouldn’t mind a Ball State right now. I don’t want any more of a gauntlet than what we have right now.

Auburns schedule  is bar none toughest in tbe land next year. Our guys can rest up against the little sisters of the poor

We play Oregon, Florida, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Georgia, LSU, and Alabama. That’s very likely 7 ranked teams and possibly a handful of top ten matchups. I’m good dawg. 

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

First you've seen of this model ? Check my post about 6 hours before that one, lol. ;D 

Actually I have seen the model you mentioned and was/is my favorite model for the future expansion to 16 team leagues. The one referenced above would work with the 14 teams we are at now.  Either model would be better than what we have.  I do hope we go to the model you mentioned as 4 x 16 team conferences.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:02 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Yes you can. It was game one.  Would you say Auburn was rolling from game one in 2010?  We almost lost in weeks 2, 3, & 4.  I wouldn't call that rolling.  More like surviving.

ND has to survive after the QB change as well. Rolling/ undefeated/ whatever.

Your argument did not end with crap schedule or conference championship game.  

It was very clear throughout the argument and explicitly said. What else do you want from me?  How come 14 conferences need a conference game to crown a champion, but ND gets out of the CC and still makes it to the playoff? ND’s schedule is only decent. Different standard for the same reward. 

You also went out of your way to point out statistical unit rankings.  

Of ND’s opponents...not ND.

You telling me Oklahoma statistically sucked at defense was random. I already knew Oklahoma cannot play defense worth a flip. It makes no difference to me because they are Big 12 conference champs 4 times in a row, made tbe CFP 2x in a row, and have back to back Heismans. They don’t need a stinking defense to make it to the playoff when they have tbe most explosive offense in the nation.

As a side note, I don't know why you felt the need to re-engage with me tonight. 

I wanted to make clear that I don’t simply “dislike NS.” I dislike what they have accomplished and their reward . You conveyed that some probably do dislike ND to another poster, and that cannot be any farther from tbe trust. ND just doesn’t have the eye test, doesn’t have near the talent, doesn’t have the SOS, or a CC game. Nothing screams out at me. 

I'm looking at it from an entire college football landscape POV and you want to view it from an SEC only lens

I want to be for the 9 conference game schedule, the CC, and the 8 team playoff. Just seems like too hard of a task. Simple as that. Check the recruiting rankings, top four is all SEC and has ten in top 20. It’s a gauntlet every year and the SEC is already the toughest conference in the sport. There is no need to change anything.

I want what can help Auburn, not necessarily the SEC. While everyone was bitching about Bama getting in last year, I was saying let’s not bite the hand that feeds us. One of these days, that can be non-conference champion, Auburn, going to the CFP. So obviously I don’t want an extra conference game just for it to possibly help cannibalize our record. 

40 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well hells bells, I wouldn’t mind a Ball State right now. I don’t want any more of a gauntlet than what we have right now.

Auburns schedule next year is bar none  toughest in tbe land next year. Our guys can rest up against the little sisters of the poor

We play Oregon, Florida, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Georgia, LSU, and Alabama. That’s very likely 7 ranked teams and possibly a handful of top ten matchups. I’m good dawg. 

You do realize I am proposing this schedule for everyone in the conference, not just Auburn, correct? And these decisions are macro, not micro. How good Auburn is or isn't currently has nothing to do with it.

The only question is do you want an additional quality, entertaining conference game each year or to continue waste an entire 4th of our season on cupcakes? 

55 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I wanted to make clear that I don’t simply “dislike NS.” I dislike what they have accomplished and their reward . You conveyed that some probably do dislike ND to another poster, and that cannot be any farther from tbe trust. ND just doesn’t have the eye test, doesn’t have near the talent, doesn’t have the SOS, or a CC game. Nothing screams out at me.

I'm tired of going over the same stuff, so only replying to two things.  The bolded part is narcissistic as hell.  I wasn't specifically talking about you.  Get out more.  Travel the country.  Talk to people.  I've been to games in stadiums of all five power conferences and some Group of Fives, plus I've been to ND as well.  There is an irrational dislike for ND from many college football fans.  Much like how a bunch of baseball fans hate the Yankees even though they don't even play in the same division.

Here's an example: my best friend's dad is an AU fan that despises ND just because they're Catholic.  What makes his hatred of them even more stupid is the fact that we've never played ND.  He's not the only one I've met like this in my travels.

55 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I would be more for the 9 conference game schedule, the CC, and the 8 team playoff if I wasn’t in tbe SEC. Simple as that. Check the recruiting rankings, top four is all SEC and ten in top 20. It’s a gauntlet every year and  the SEC is already the toughest conference in the sport. 

I want what can help Auburn, not necessarily the SEC. While everyone was bitching about Bama getting in last year, I was saying let’s not bite the hand that feeds us. One of these days, that could be non conference champion Auburn going to the CFP. So obviously I don’t want an extra conference game just for it to possibly help cannibalize our record. 

I was all for Bama being in the playoff last year too because I thought they earned it.  But you're arguing about what you want vs what is the likely soon to be reality.  Every driving force looks to be heading towards 9 conference games, the conference title game staying, and an expanded playoff.  Like I said, I think you're arguing emotionally and not taking into account the reality of the situation, which is that this is all about money.  Just from an AU perspective, this is what that extra conference game means:

- Higher ticket revenue (Conference game ticket prices average between $50-$70 more per ticket than games against Group of 5 or FCS teams).  At the lower $50 delta and assuming a non sellout of 86,000, that equates to $4.3M in just extra ticket revenue for one game.

- Better attendance for that 9th game.  All of our little games were played in front of the three smallest home crowds of the season.  And remember, the Liberty game was only like $25 per ticket but still had lowest turnout of the year.

- More concessions, parking, tailgate guys fees, merchandise sold, etc. 

- More revenue from a renegotiated TV contract as the SEC will have more inventory to sell.

- Cost savings of at least $515,000 since we don't have to pay conference foes to travel to AU.  That number is what we paid Alabama State this year and was the cheapest of our three bought and paid for games.  If you keep Bama State and remove Liberty, then the savings goes up to $1.25M.

So while as a fan, you may just want to win, the reality is that this amount of money is hard to ignore from the people in charge.  Changing that one game could legitimately yield at least an extra $10M per year for AU.

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm tired of going over the same stuff, so only replying to two things.  The bolded part is narcissistic as hell.  I wasn't specifically talking about you.  Get out more.  Travel the country.  Talk to people.  I've been to games in stadiums of all five power conferences and some Group of Fives, plus I've been to ND as well.  There is an irrational dislike for ND from many college football fans.  Much like how a bunch of baseball fans hate the Yankees even though they don't even play in the same division.

Here's an example: my best friend's dad is an AU fan that despises ND just because they're Catholic.  What makes his hatred of them even more stupid is the fact that we've never played ND.  He's not the only one I've met like this in my travels.

I was all for Bama being in the playoff last year too because I thought they earned it.  But you're arguing about what you want vs what is the likely soon to be reality.  Every driving force looks to be heading towards 9 conference games, the conference title game staying, and an expanded playoff.  Like I said, I think you're arguing emotionally and not taking into account the reality of the situation, which is that this is all about money.  Just from an AU perspective, this is what that extra conference game means:

- Higher ticket revenue (Conference game ticket prices average between $50-$70 more per ticket than games against Group of 5 or FCS teams).  At the lower $50 delta and assuming a non sellout of 86,000, that equates to $4.3M in just extra ticket revenue for one game.

- Better attendance for that 9th game.  All of our little games were played in front of the three smallest home crowds of the season.  And remember, the Liberty game was only like $25 per ticket but still had lowest turnout of the year.

- More concessions, parking, tailgate guys fees, merchandise sold, etc. 

- More revenue from a renegotiated TV contract as the SEC will have more inventory to sell.

- Cost savings of at least $515,000 since we don't have to pay conference foes to travel to AU.  That number is what we paid Alabama State this year and was the cheapest of our three bought and paid for games.  If you keep Bama State and remove Liberty, then the savings goes up to $1.25M.

So while as a fan, you may just want to win, the reality is that this amount of money is hard to ignore from the people in charge.  Changing that one game could legitimately yield at least an extra $10M per year for AU.

Besides, even if jeff wants to see what is best for Auburn, 9 conference games could still be seen as a big plus in that regard.

Think about it. Jeff, you said yourself Auburn already plays the toughest schedule in the nation. So all our additional game would mean would be adding Mizzou, South Carolina, Vandy, Kentucky, or Floria. Easier than most all of our SEC slate. 

However, other teams would suddenly play a tough game they wouldn't otherwise play. Maybe UGA has to play a TAMU or LSU when they otherwise wouldn't. Maybe Bama has to take on Florida.

Bottomline is one more game against the bottom of the barrel in the SEC isn't going to hurt us because we already play the very best every year. But for teams like LSU, TAMU, Alabama, and UGA, it could toughen up their weakish schedules and maybe cause an additional loss.

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

You do realize I am proposing this schedule for everyone in the conference, not just Auburn, correct? 

Obviously. 

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

The only question is do you want an additional quality, entertaining conference game each year or to continue waste an entire 4th of our season on cupcakes? 

And you know my answer. 

Put Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio St, and Oklahoma in their own conference, and leave the rest of us alone. It is getting unbearable the way it is now. 

On 12/14/2018 at 12:34 AM, Brad_ATX said:

The bolded part is narcissistic as hell.  I wasn't specifically talking about you. 

Well the bolded is why I wanted to clear up that I didn’t dislike ND. I didn’t accuse you of talking about me now did I?  I’ve been to many countries. Purposely travel more? Nope

Every driving force looks to be heading towards 9 conference games, the conference title game staying, and an expanded playoff. 

Something is going to give. You’re delusional if you think the SEC will agree to all of that.

So while as a fan, you may just want to win, the reality is that this amount of money is hard to ignore from the people in charge.  

Everything always has to be about the money, and not our team. 😒

Good talk, Brad...

I think the future is 4 divisions in the conference with semi and championship game. But the teams in the same divisions need to play the same opponents for this to be fair. That would mean the end of some annual rivalry games , the NFL model is perfect.

14 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Actually I have seen the model you mentioned and was/is my favorite model for the future expansion to 16 team leagues. The one referenced above would work with the 14 teams we are at now.  Either model would be better than what we have.  I do hope we go to the model you mentioned as 4 x 16 team conferences.

Oh yes, I like it a lot too. The thing I like the most is playing every other team in the SEC every 2 years. Trading that for dropping the 2nd rivalry game every year is a good deal. You'll see them every 2 years anyway.

On 12/12/2018 at 4:46 PM, AUght2win said:

I don't think we've seen the end of conference realignment, just a break in it. When the current MASSIVE TV contracts come up, and when the full repercussions of the demise of cable TV are understood, I think we'll see more shuffling. I think it's possible the conferences will go back to being more geographically based if the football TV money isn't as big. For instance, unless the TV money is outrageous, I don't see how West Virginia can turn a profit having to fly their kids halfway across the country multiple times a year for multiple sports.

If you were in charge of it all, what would be your ideal conference alignment? My main priority would be geography and preserving/reviving old rivalries.

SEC East
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
Georgia Tech
Auburn
South Carolina
Clemson

SEC West
Alabama
LSU
Ole Miss
Miss State
Memphis - would be a perfect fit, as they almost joined the Big 12 years ago. Just need to upgrade their facilities.
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

Sec would play 9 conference games, with two inter-divisional locks. Auburn's would be LSU and Alabama. Alabama's would be us and Tennessee. Downside would be the West would obviously be top-heavy with Alabama or LSU as a lock to win the division for the foreseeable future. BUT, what a basketball division, huh?

No no no no NO No on scum tech 

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

No no no no NO No on scum tech 

I really would like to see us play them yearly. Wreck tech pajama parades?! Amazing tradition! Listen to any old timer and they'll tell you what a rivalry that was.

18 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I really would like to see us play them yearly. Wreck tech pajama parades?! Amazing tradition! Listen to any old timer and they'll tell you what a rivalry that was.

No disrespect but you must have missed all the posts concerning my old age as well as my true absolute hatred for ga tech and prick Dodd............. I'm old as dirt and as far as I'm concerned they can go to hell.

Was in many a wreck tech pajama parades even dated one ugly ga tech girl for a while.

Please do not take this post as attacking you just remember I HATE tech

Long, older article but a possible glimpse into what the CFB world may eventually become after being shaped by Amazon and other tech giants:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Article/Conference-Re-alignment-future-football-Ohio-State-Texas-Oklahoma-Notre-Dame-Alabama-Michigan-SEC-Pac-12-Big-10-ACC--118642101/Amp/

Note: Auburn has a top ten most valuable  program and should be good no matter what. 

52 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

No disrespect but you must have missed all the posts concerning my old age as well as my true absolute hatred for ga tech and prick Dodd............. I'm old as dirt and as far as I'm concerned they can go to hell.

Was in many a wreck tech pajama parades even dated one ugly ga tech girl for a while.

Please do not take this post as attacking you just remember I HATE tech

Don't hate everything Tech, just BOBBY DODD, God rest his obnxious, dishonest, cheating soul.

1 hour ago, grandpajay said:

Don't hate everything Tech, just BOBBY DODD, God rest his obnxious, dishonest, cheating soul.

I got Bear Bryant rated right up there with Dodd. 2 peas in a pod.

I would add both Oklahoma schools but if we could only have one of the Oklahoma schools or couldn't have either then i'd say go with one/two out of this group UNC/Duke/Kansas  can you imagine how exciting basketball would be in the conference if Kentucky had to play  atleast two of the teams in bold every year? that said I don't see us adding UNC or Duke if we ever go to a 16 team conference we will most likely aim for Texas and atleast one or both of the Oklahoma schools. also  correct me if im wrong but UNC and Duke would most likely be a package deal correct? I read somewhere that the ACC commissioner is an UNC grad and isn't too fond of seeing the UNC/Duke rivalry possibly broken up with conference re-alignment

I am not trying to smooth out existing bumps in schedules.   We need a conference format that is focused on balance, not "ironclad" rivalries.   That "ironclad rivalry" mindset is why Auburn faces the hardest schedule annually, and  the horrible timing that  makes our odds less and less likely of getting to the NC game.  

We all complain about OU, Clemson and OSU feasting on a bunch of 6-6 or 7-5 teams (for the most part). 

Ultimately, we all want Auburn to play a  difficult schedule and have respect from the media each year.  We shouldn't have to whip 3-4 top ten teams each year to get to SEC CG then the playoffs.  

Teams are going to get better/worse, but we know which programs are historically strong...

My proposal is we get rid of divisions: 

The SEC form a rotating schedule  - simple.    This means we will have to skip a game with UGA or bama once in a while.   But we will likely play one of them most years.  Every once in a while we may play both.

At the end of the year, the top 3 teams play (#2 plays #3 and #1 gets a bye).   Then we have a conference championship.

This would allow any two teams to play from the SEC CG, which can't happen in a divisional set up.   

There is no perfect solution, but I believe this guarantees the top two teams in the SECG and prob 2 gets in the playoffs.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:47 AM, Brad_ATX said:

Eh, it doesn't bother me.  Kids play 15 games right now if they go all the way to the title game and that's with three weeks off in December.  Play the first round of an eight team playoff in mid-December and you still have a lot of time between games for rest and recovery.  Heck man, to win the high school state title here in Texas, a team has to play 16 games (10 regular season + 6 playoff) and they only get one bye week during that entire run.

In the middle of taking final exams?

Archived