Dye-Gest: Set a Positive Tone

aubiefifty

scout.com

Dye-Gest: Important for Football Tigers to Set a Positive Tone

ByMark Murphy

3-4 minutes

Coach Pat Dye (Photo: Johnny Lawrence/Inside the Auburn Tigers)

Like a lot of Auburn fans out there I have a better feeling about the football team’s offense now the Tigers have hired a new coordinator and are moving forward. I really like the idea of Coach Malzahn going back and calling the plays in his own offense, which nobody knows better than he does.

The coaches are busy this time of year with their recruiting duties and preparing for the Music City Bowl. It is important that they do well with both assignments. My take is beating Purdue in the bowl game will help recruiting and set a positive tone moving forward into next season.

A player not making the bowl trip is freshman Asa Martin. I was a guest on a radio show in Dothan and the guy tried to make a controversy out of it. The running back wanted to leave and the redshirt issue had nothing to do with it. He quit because he wanted to quit. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. My guess is it will be at Jacksonville State, UAB or some place like that. He is certainly no Roc Thomas as far as talent is concerned.

It is time for things to settle down and get back to normal as Auburn gets ready to play Purdue in the bowl game. While Purdue might not be as talented as some teams the Tigers have played this year I think it is going to take Auburn’s best effort to come back from Nashville with a victory. Purdue has a really strong offense and is a dangerous football team. We all saw how they dominated Ohio State this year.

I am excited as I can be about Bo Nix coming to Auburn. The quarterback led his Pinson Valley team to the Class 6A state championship with his dad, Patrick, as the head coach. I am not the least bit surprised at the success Bo had because he comes from a great family.

I knew Bo’s granddaddy, I recruited his daddy, who was an outstanding quarterback for us, and I can say without reservation that the Nixes are a great Auburn family.

Bo is the type of young man who is going to do all of the right things both on and off the football field to be a success. He has the type of leadership skills that coaches love to see from their players. If some little thing happens here or there, the type of situations that happen in all programs, he has the leadership skills to take care of it. He is that type of kid from that type of family. I can guarantee you he has been raised right.

I am also excited to see what Malik Willis can do at quarterback next season. He has been here for two years now and he ought to be ready to make a move. I don’t know as much about Joey Gatewood, who is redshirting this year, but I know he is a big, athletic kid. The other returning quarterback, Cord Sandberg, is a good athlete, too, and what I have seen from him I like.

Click Here to Sign Up for Premium Content

Subscribe to Inside the Auburn Tigers Magazine and Football Newsletter

Quail Hollow Gardens

">247Sports

29 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

He quit because he wanted to quit. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. My guess is it will be at Jacksonville State, UAB or some place like that. He is certainly no Roc Thomas as far as talent is concerned.

Wonder why we recruited Mr. Alabama football if he sucked so bad?  Gus just can't evaluated RB talent I guess huh Coach?

30 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Purdue has a really strong offense and is a dangerous football team. We all saw how they dominated Ohio State this year.

Good job getting that excuse ready.

Wonder if AD Greene will start moving Dye away from the program?

• WarTiger changed the title to Dye-Gest: Set a Positive Tone
2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Time to step away

He's probably our best coach of all time--and I'm hoping we can find a new version of him in the very near future--but sadly I agree.

Good observations by Coach Dye.  Some folks making Asa's transfer sound as if the next Bo Jackson decided to leave.    Dye has it right IMO, the guy was definitely a good HS player but for whatever reason, was not gonna fit in at AU and probably not into the SEC level of play.   

Recruiting some guys like Asa with the Mr. Football notoriety can be a lose -lose situation....don't get him and coach is slammed for letting the guy get away.....and get him and find out that perhaps he peaked when was him HS and coach gets slammed for signing him.    My observation is that you can evaluate them all you want when they are in HS but you gotta put them on a field with guys who are bigger and as fast to learn what they are all about.   We mostly recruit Alabama and Georgia and have to try and get the best players from those states....and sometimes the best is not as good as we think. :dunno:

12 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

scout.com

Dye-Gest: Important for Football Tigers to Set a Positive Tone

ByMark Murphy

3-4 minutes

Coach Pat Dye (Photo: Johnny Lawrence/Inside the Auburn Tigers)

I am excited as I can be about Bo Nix coming to Auburn. The quarterback led his Pinson Valley team to the Class 6A state championship with his dad, Patrick, as the head coach. I am not the least bit surprised at the success Bo had because he comes from a great family.

I knew Bo’s granddaddy, I recruited his daddy, who was an outstanding quarterback for us, and I can say without reservation that the Nixes are a great Auburn family.

Wait a minute!!  Bo Nix is Patrick Nix's son?  Has it been that long ago?  Man I'm feeling old.

giphy.gif

19 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Would Asa be in auburn if they had handled his Red shirt correctly?  

Seems the answer is "no"....and the other question.:    Would he get more playing time if he stayed?    I am thinking ....probably not much with everyone coming back.  :dunno:. Would be about where he is now.

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

Good observations by Coach Dye.  Some folks making Asa's transfer sound as if the next Bo Jackson decided to leave.    Dye has it right IMO, the guy was definitely a good HS player but for whatever reason, was not gonna fit in at AU and probably not into the SEC level of play.   

Recruiting some guys like Asa with the Mr. Football notoriety can be a lose -lose situation....don't get him and coach is slammed for letting the guy get away.....and get him and find out that perhaps he peaked when was him HS and coach gets slammed for signing him.    My observation is that you can evaluate them all you want when they are in HS but you gotta put them on a field with guys who are bigger and as fast to learn what they are all about.   We mostly recruit Alabama and Georgia and have to try and get the best players from those states....and sometimes the best is not as good as we think. :dunno:

And this is were Gus and his coaches come up short. We always seem to get the 5 star players that the turds and uga's of the SEC do not want and it usually shows up sooner or later why they didn't want them. We need to start winning more of the battles for the top players.

38 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Seems the answer is "no"....and the other question.:    Would he get more playing time if he stayed?    I am thinking ....probably not much with everyone coming back.  :dunno:. Would be about where he is now.

I agree he was going to leave anyway.   I would have hoped he would  move up in the depth chart if he had stayed but with the competition who knows. 

24 minutes ago, kd4au said:

And this is were Gus and his coaches come up short. We always seem to get the 5 star players that the turds and uga's of the SEC do not want and it usually shows up sooner or later why they didn't want them. We need to start winning more of the battles for the top players.

Maybe.....but real world,....we are not gonna win many battles head to head against bama or Georgia......and spending too much time trying is a waste of time. 

We have to get the best player we can get.     So if bama is showing no interest in Nix....that should tell us to beware?   We may go after kids in some cases that don't interest bama or ga.….and we have to do the best we can with them.       And bama misses on players too, maybe as many as Gus.... every coach does.    Check the number of bama players who transfer or are processed....lots of them ever year just like here.  

No doubt its mostly about talent..... and more is better. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Maybe.....but real world,....we are not gonna win many battles head to head against bama or Georgia......and spending too much time trying is a waste of time. 

We have to get the best player we can get.     So if bama is showing no interest in Nix....that should tell us to beware?   We may go after kids in some cases that don't interest bama or ga.….and we have to do the best we can with them.       And bama misses on players too, maybe as many as Gus.... every coach does.    Check the number of bama players who transfer or are processed....lots of them ever year just like here.  

I believe if Clemson can do it, so can Auburn.    If you have a good coach it should be realistic, wouldn't you agree?

How dare Pat Dye come at us with all this positivity! Did he watch the team this year!?

Or

Maybe, just maybe, Pat Dye still knows a thing or two about football. Maybe instead of shutting him out, we should listen to him more? There's knowledge and then there's wisdom. The X's and O's of football might have gotten away from in his retirement, but I don't believe Pat Dye is the senile interloper that some have made him out to be.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

.....but real world,....we are not gonna win many battles head to head against bama or Georgia......and spending too much time trying is a waste of time. 

So I guess we need to just give up and concede to them since we can't win those recruiting battles. And as for Nix you know if he wasn't all Auburn the story would be different.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Auburn has gotten the best players they can get, they're recruiting at a higher level than ever in program history.  Auburn pays top 5 salaries and pulls top 10 recruiting classes.  But damned if more times than not, it isn't reflected in top 10 rankings at the end of the season. 

Auburn has a major flaw with talent evaluation and recruiting to their specific needs.  It came up and bit them in the ass this year on the oline & RB positions and this flaw doesn't looked to be addressed in this next crop of recruits.  So what's the solution? 

18 minutes ago, kd4au said:

So I guess we need to just give up and concede to them since we can't win those recruiting battles. And as for Nix you know if he wasn't all Auburn the story would be different.

I'm just saying pick your targets....like everyone else does.  Do you think other schools go out of their way to deliberately enter in to a bidding war with bama?   Maybe a few but by and large it would be a waste of time....JMO....

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

If we don't, then tickets to games should be A LOT cheaper, coaches a lot cheaper, we should go ahead and garage-sell that jumbotrocity in the end zone and focus on basketball, equestrian and mascot championships. 

1 minute ago, aucom96 said:

If we don't, then tickets to games should be A LOT cheaper, coaches a lot cheaper, we should go ahead and garage-sell that jumbotrocity in the end zone and focus on basketball, equestrian and mascot championships. 

See my comment above.   JMO but we are not gonna compete directly with bama for many players....and has nothing to do with tickets or coaches' salaries.    AU beat both of the big guys last season with less talent so it can be done from time to time.  

BUT ….I'm willing to change my mind about recruiting if you can show me a coach somewhere/anywhere who would out-recruit bama or Georgia?    Every year about 100 HCs try to get the best talent they can recruit so it's not like everyone just rolls over for bama or Georgia.....but you have to consider how much time to spend on guys where your chance is about 5% or less.   I've seen us go after a couple players we really wanted against bama (the Auburn HS guys) and spend hours and money and get NOTHING for the effort and had only about 5% chance.... and we often get played by the kids and bama in the process.   

Try to recruit to needs and work on guys where there is some possibility of getting them. JMO  

Good statement from a company man. 

I don’t like people dissing Asa and definitely not Dye. As far as I can tell AU screwed the kid over and may have cost him a year of playing the sport he loves. I have no doubt the redshirt screw up played into his decision to transfer. I mean how could it not. And the idea that anyone knows if this kid is a div 1 talent or not is laughable to me. If he isn’t and AU saw that and intentionally screwed up his redshirt then that is even worse then doing it by accident. Someone associated with the program should publicly apologize and explain how this happened. 

9 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I don’t like people dissing Asa and definitely not Dye. As far as I can tell AU screwed the kid over and may have cost him a year of playing the sport he loves. I have no doubt the redshirt screw up played into his decision to transfer. I mean how could it not. And the idea that anyone knows if this kid is a div 1 talent or not is laughable to me. If he isn’t and AU saw that and intentionally screwed up his redshirt then that is even worse then doing it by accident. Someone associated with the program should publicly apologize and explain how this happened. 

Exactly. I love Coach Dye for all that he brought to Auburn and the culture he developed about winning.

But...he is always going to side with Auburn and the coaching staff currently in place(as you said a company man). I expect that from him.

But Gus recruited Mr. Football Asa Martin for a reason. You don't throw scholarships away on a skill player. I do believe that Martin probably needed further 'development'. What areas? Only the coaches know. 

And they did mess up his playing time and whether he should be red shirted. And the more it got confusing to his family, it seemed the more that the coaches were not consistent in their answers to him and his parents. Therefore they had had enough and he is leaving. I don't believe for a second he was leaving anyway regardless of the red shirt screw up.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

pick your targets

There are only so many  elite targets to pick from, we have to start winning more of the battles. Do you follow recruiting? I would add that a better job also needs to be done in recruiting to needs. We do get some good talent but have done a bad job with o-line and RB's. and you could add QB's too.

Just now, kd4au said:

There are only so many  elite targets to pick from, we have to start winning more of the battles. Do you follow recruiting? I would add that a better job also needs to be done in recruiting to needs. We do get some good talent but have done a bad job with o-line and RB's. and you could add QB's too.

That's true and mostly we have trouble building depth.....have a good OL when guys are juniors and seniors and then a drop off. We probably recruit more "higher risk" players than bama or ga.….but that's who we can get I guess.  So we go from one year of playing juniors and seniors (like last season) and then we are playing freshmen and sophs the next year.  

I follow recruiting reasonable well and as for elites.....getting where the elites in football are like they are in basketball....they go to the elite programs and like it or not we are not quite there with bama, ga, Michigan, OSU and a few others who are able to dip into a distant state and just get one prime recruit and that's it.  As long as we are regional in recruiting we will mostly get the players that the "state name schools" don't have room for. 

As I noted earlier.....show me a coach anywhere who is out-recruiting bama or ga on a regular basis and putting guys in the NFL.   JMO....Gotta get the best we can get and try to win with them.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Explaining how this happened could be basically calling someone out. All we know is his mom says a coach ( with no name) conflicts what she was previously told. If the staff has a conflicting story from mom and the crew here that’s determined to crucify the coach, they will then be accused of calling her a liar as I was a couple days ago. The staff has only one option. Just wish Asa the best and move on. 

Use to talk with a guy at a gym in Auburn who's business provided a service that many players used (yes I don't want him or his business known). He said a problem with these players is there alot of them that like what comes with being a Auburn football players but don't like being an Auburn football player. They like the gear and the popularity but they don't like the work. One popular transfer he told me sat in his business and stated he would be the starter if he really wanted to.

I think an issue might be our staff is too easy on the players and that hinders development.

Archived