Mullen opening practice

tigerman1186

UF HEAD football coach Dan Mullen is opening the first 3 days of bowl practice v. Michigan to the fans...while Gus closes practice...it would go a long way to improve his standing with the Tiger community if he would open up practices; especially those that don't have an effect of the game plan....

Come'on Gus...what do you have to hide????

Because then the fans really COULD call out each play before it's run.

.....I kid, I kid....

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

UF HEAD football coach Dan Mullen is opening the first 3 days of bowl practice v. Michigan to the fans...while Gus closes practice...it would go a long way to improve his standing with the Tiger community if he would open up practices; especially those that don't have an effect of the game plan....

Don't know what he has to hide, but why doesn't Mullen close bowl  practice like the other 13 coaches? Could it be he doesn't have anything worth hiding? 😂

55 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

In the words of Bigbird....

Pat Morita.gif

He closed practice because he doesn't want anyone to know that he's preparing a 4-QB game plan, sorta like the 3-QB game plan he came up with against Clemson a while back.  Hell, the word I'm hearing is that he's got this one play where Stidham will be a tackle-elgible receiver...

The plan is to play no QB two plays in a row.  To keep Purdue guessing.  I'm excited just thinking about it. 

Of course it's all rumor at this point, but who here would bet against such a hair-brained game plan from Gus?

10 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

This would be a really cool idea . 

1 hour ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Maybe he doesn’t want to be jeered or stuff thrown at him. 🤷‍♀️

I’m kidding, sort of.   

You’re actually dead on. He might not have projectiles going toward his direction, but he’s the type to hunker down and not let the negative feedback filter through the cracks. His walled off personality is helping with recruiting so I’m not going to complain. 

30 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You’re actually dead on. He might not have projectiles going toward his direction, but he’s the type to hunker down and not let the negative feedback filter through the cracks. His walled off personality is helping with recruiting so I’m not going to complain. 

Yeah, I was thinking about this the other day. If we thought the information he gave was generic and lacking, what is it going to look like now??? I would not blame him for having a complete distrust of the beat writers and a disdain for some of the fan base. I am of the opinion that some of these articles written lately were nothing but hit pieces, some bits of truth exaggerated to be slanted against Auburn, designed to disrupt our program and recruiting. I am also of the opinion that the "reporters" from al.com should be banned from our press conferences. That's probably a little extreme, but they are so obviously biased.

Two completely different programs in different stages. UF is looking to build momentum and keep the fans excited. Nothing good could come from Gus opening practice. I am not a Gus supporter, but I have no fault with closed practice. 

Why doesn’t he open up practices? Because it is a stupid idea and Mullen is a moron for doing it. Modern football is like chess. You don’t want your opponent to know what your next move is. The more views the opposing team gets of your team, the more likely they will be able to anticipate your play calling. You can bet Harbaugh is going to have Michigan coaches there posing as fans making additional notes on what they see.

When you're in the cross hairs you dont give anyone anymore information to be used against you.    People are looking for reasons to complain about him.  I wouldnt open up practice either. 

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

Why doesn’t he open up practices? Because it is a stupid idea and Mullen is a moron for doing it. Modern football is like chess. You don’t want your opponent to know what your next move is. The more views the opposing team gets of your team, the more likely they will be able to anticipate your play calling. You can bet Harbaugh is going to have Michigan coaches there posing as fans making additional notes on what they see.

Let me guess? You were also a head coach too.

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

Pretty sure most NFL practices are open for fans.  I know I've been to see the Falcons in preseason and I know from watching those shows that follow a team there always seems to be fans around watching practice.  Guess all those guys are stupid too.  They probably close practice at some point maybe, but don't know for sure.

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

Let me guess? You were also a head coach too.

No. I was a college professor at a midwestern university, where I also worked as a researcher (all professors are researchers). I left that to work for a Rocket company as a motivational and business consultant...Nothing I’ve said on here about my career has been a lie.

I could see this both ways for Gus.  In the position he is in it would be a a nice way to re3ach out to the fans, but also in the position he is in there would probably be a bunch of not Gus friendly signs and comments coming out as the fans would be able to give their voice.

6 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Pretty sure most NFL practices are open for fans.  I know I've been to see the Falcons in preseason and I know from watching those shows that follow a team there always seems to be fans around watching practice.  Guess all those guys are stupid too.  They probably close practice at some point maybe, but don't know for sure.

NFL is different. The playbooks are never a secret because players move around so much. In college, that’s not a problem, so coaches use that to their advantage.The NFL is more about player skill than college. College football is more about game planning than the NFL. 

2 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Two completely different programs in different stages. UF is looking to build momentum and keep the fans excited. Nothing good could come from Gus opening practice. I am not a Gus supporter, but I have no fault with closed practice. 

This

The angst, irritation, and overall agitation with the AU Administration right now is not conducive to opening up practices to the public for a HC that sits with a freaking 1-4 bowl record

Could you imagine the tweets/articles and hit pieces that would come from something like this at Auburn?  Good Grief!

Gus doesn't want anyone to know how he does anything.  I've come to believe he's afraid people will find out he doesn't really know what he's doing, or at least doesn't want to be questioned about it.

I do think his approach hurts. Tuberville didn't have stellar records either, but he was out in front of the fans and media selling the program much like Pearl is now with basketball. From a PR standpoint, we could probably get more out of a mannequin and a tape recorder than we do Gus. 

Archived