Mullen opening practice

tigerman1186

I read something the other day explaining his paranoia. I’m pretty sure it was on a different forum than this but anyways it was from a high school coach that had some previous connections with Gus. He said that in 2013 and 2014 Gus had an open door policy for high school coaches. They were allowed to attend practices, check out playbooks, etc. Gus has always had a special place for high school football. At some point later in 2014, Gus found out that a high school (I think in AL) was running his exact offense and plays even with the same play calls/relay system (how they signal plays to the offense). After that he went into freak out mode and locked everything down.

49 minutes ago, keesler said:

This

The angst, irritation, and overall agitation with the AU Administration right now is not conducive to opening up practices to the public for a HC that sits with a freaking 1-4 bowl record

Could you imagine the tweets/articles and hit pieces that would come from something like this at Auburn?  Good Grief!

It would be a nightmare. I hope he never opens them as long as we are in this stage. 

35 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Although I think malzahn deserves much of the criticism thrown his way, we are really digging the bottom of the barrel here. 

Seriously we talking about practice...practice....(Allen Iverson que) I can think of several other things to do than watch a practice. I can simply wait for the game....besides it’s no advantage or disadvantage for him to do this. His fate will be determined by winning or losing not by practice being open or closed.  He needs to close it and get to work on beating Purdue.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Pretty sure most NFL practices are open for fans.  I know I've been to see the Falcons in preseason and I know from watching those shows that follow a team there always seems to be fans around watching practice.  Guess all those guys are stupid too.  They probably close practice at some point maybe, but don't know for sure.

No they aren't.  The NFL opens practice during training camp for a week or so, but after that, you can't sniff a practice.  The only thing that teams are doing during that open portion of training camp are evaluating draft picks, undrafted free agents, and other signings to see who might make the team.  There's less than zero schematic work being done when the practices are open to the public though.

unless it’s a scrimmage practice would be incredibly boring to watch.  Add a bunch of fans and the players aren’t concentrating like they should be.  Only real upside would be to see Cord and Joey throw a pass.

12 minutes ago, beaumak said:

"Gustav??? Are you still coming up with practice plays? Can you open the door please? It's Kristi."

practice GIF

Weird 🤪

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Would anybody show up to watch?

I just imagine a horde of women watching Siposs booming punts and asking him to say things with his accent.

Then some neckbeards like PMarshall or BMarcello drooling over some players getting chippy with each other

Considering that every week of practice is a good week of practice all your gonna see is a good practice. Probably won't translate to a good showing in Nashville, but you'll get the thrill of watching a good practice nonetheless.

This got me thinking...

Let's revisit the 2016 Clemson game where we deployed 27 QBs in one game. Remember after the game Brent Venables said he got some intel about how we were going to run some Wing-T? And he said he literally just googled "how to stop the Wing-T"...

Ok, so, with Gus' above and beyond paranoid tendencies HOW THE HELL did this happen? Not only that but who the **** that has such access to the program is giving inside info to our opponent whom we compete with yearly for recruits???? That pisses me off.

From this article (http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/94153/from-googling-strategy-to-taunting-cam-newton-clemsons-d-made-big-statement ) :

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn played the role of mad scientist Saturday, sending out myriad personnel groupings in hopes of confounding Clemson’s defense. He employed three different quarterbacks, switching with reckless abandon and, at times, having all of them on the field at once. Auburn threw deep balls and ran the option. It played in spread formations and, believe it or not, ran a bit of old-school wing-T.

Clemson had answers for everything -- even if some of those answers came in an unlikely way.

Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables had been “tipped off” -- that was the extent of his explanation -- that Auburn might run some Wing-T, and he hadn’t the slightest clue on how best to defend an offense rarely employed beyond the high school level. So, a day before the game, Venables sat down at his computer and did what we all might do in such situations.

“I literally Googled, ‘How to stop the wing-T,’” Venables admitted afterward.

The plan worked like a charm. Auburn ran for a woeful 87 yards on 41 carries, the lowest total by the Tigers in Malzahn’s tenure as head coach.

Auburn’s first-half offensive tally was just 38 total yards, its lowest output in the first half of a game since the 2011 Iron Bowl. It was also Clemson’s best performance on defense since 2009, long before Venables arrived.

2 hours ago, beaumak said:
2 hours ago, creed said:

Weird 🤪

haha, yeah it kind of freaked me out a little looking at it.

I can't un-see that now.

I'd rather sit in the chemo chair than ever see that post again.

I'm regretting logging in right now...

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

This got me thinking...

Let's revisit the 2016 Clemson game where we deployed 27 QBs in one game. Remember after the game Brent Venables said he got some intel about how we were going to run some Wing-T? And he said he literally just googled "how to stop the Wing-T"...

Ok, so, with Gus' above and beyond paranoid tendencies HOW THE HELL did this happen? Not only that but who the **** that has such access to the program is giving inside info to our opponent whom we compete with yearly for recruits???? That pisses me off.

From this article (http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/94153/from-googling-strategy-to-taunting-cam-newton-clemsons-d-made-big-statement ) :

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn played the role of mad scientist Saturday, sending out myriad personnel groupings in hopes of confounding Clemson’s defense. He employed three different quarterbacks, switching with reckless abandon and, at times, having all of them on the field at once. Auburn threw deep balls and ran the option. It played in spread formations and, believe it or not, ran a bit of old-school wing-T.

Clemson had answers for everything -- even if some of those answers came in an unlikely way.

Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables had been “tipped off” -- that was the extent of his explanation -- that Auburn might run some Wing-T, and he hadn’t the slightest clue on how best to defend an offense rarely employed beyond the high school level. So, a day before the game, Venables sat down at his computer and did what we all might do in such situations.

“I literally Googled, ‘How to stop the wing-T,’” Venables admitted afterward.

The plan worked like a charm. Auburn ran for a woeful 87 yards on 41 carries, the lowest total by the Tigers in Malzahn’s tenure as head coach.

Auburn’s first-half offensive tally was just 38 total yards, its lowest output in the first half of a game since the 2011 Iron Bowl. It was also Clemson’s best performance on defense since 2009, long before Venables arrived.

I'd like to see El Gusto's comments in defense of that wacked out offensive scheme that HE chose to use.....  and the whirly bird too.

22 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'd like to see El Gusto's comments in defense of that wacked out offensive scheme that HE chose to use.....  and the whirly bird too.

You and I both know it would be a one word answer.

"Execution"

Archived