Bruce Pearl on radio this morning

gr82b4au

Recap:

* Playing in the Mike Slive tourney against UAB. Last year the UAB game was played at AU and it was very close to the end. We will need to play well.

* Happy with Wiley. He is starting to get better. He still comes off of the bench but his minutes continue to increase. 

* AU leads the nation in blocked shots. That is good and bad. It is great to have shot blockers but he said they are giving up too many close shots. 

* Purifoy will come off the bench. Will be rusty due to not playing in a competitive game in a long time. 

* He was asked about the backcourt depth if harper gets in foul trouble, etc. He said "let's just hope that does not happen".

* He loves Auburn. His family loves Auburn. 

This game is huge in a lot of ways. Need to keep up the momentum heading into NC State. They are tough at home. 

3 hours ago, autigeremt said:

This game is huge in a lot of ways. Need to keep up the momentum heading into NC State. They are tough at home. 

ESPN is actually projecting an NCSU win. I think their win probability is like 61%. I looked at their schedule and they've played one ranked team in Wisconsin which handed them their only loss. That could be because of a contrast in styles of play though, Wisconsin can be an annoying team to play against. But I hope we come out and punch them in the mouth with our defense because not many teams around the country are prepared for our tenacity on D. We have to make them uncomfortable on their own floor.

36 minutes ago, Tiger said:

ESPN is actually projecting an NCSU win. I think their win probability is like 61%. I looked at their schedule and they've played one ranked team in Wisconsin which handed them their only loss. That could be because of a contrast in styles of play though, Wisconsin can be an annoying team to play against. But I hope we come out and punch them in the mouth with our defense because not many teams around the country are prepared for our tenacity on D. We have to make them uncomfortable on their own floor.

the knock on bruce from tennessee fans that loved him say the fast style he coaches is fun to watch but that his teams lose a lot of their legs by the end of the season. i have no idea but i am interested to see what some of y'all think.

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

the knock on bruce from tennessee fans that loved him say the fast style he coaches is fun to watch but that his teams lose a lot of their legs by the end of the season. i have no idea but i am interested to see what some of y'all think.

I remember hearing this too. I know some will point to last year but we were so depleted by the end. 

At UT I remember some years they had a good showing in March and then other year(s?) with close calls/early exits. Going off memory so definitely could be wrong.

34 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

I think this is correct but Bruce also mentioned this morning that with Purifoy he will have 10 scholarship guys. That is the most he has had since he has been at AU. He said this will help keep people fresh in games and throughout the year. Again - I think the only concern is the backup PG. Harper is sooo much better than any backup we have at this point. 

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

I think this is correct but Bruce also mentioned this morning that with Purifoy he will have 10 scholarship guys. That is the most he has had since he has been at AU. He said this will help keep people fresh in games and throughout the year. Again - I think the only concern is the backup PG. Harper is sooo much better than any backup we have at this point. 

Every team plays a long schedule. Every team has a 8-9 man rotation. Almost every team has one guy that plays 30 minutes a night. I don't thing his teams lost their legs due to fatigue. When you get in the tourney and you play teams with great guards or bigs, they can slow you down and are better able to force you to play their style of game. If all you have are guys that can play up tempo then you are going to get beat. CBP didn't have a guy like Wiley at UT and this current roster has the skill set to play fast or slow. I',m not worried about fatigue. Last year had nothing to do with fatigue. We lost Wiley and Purifoy before the season, and then lost McLemore. No team that loses 3 of the 4 guys expected to get minutes in the front court will go deep into the tourney. 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

NC State is a good team. They will likely be ranked when we go in there next week. 

6 hours ago, autigeremt said:

This game is huge only in the return of Purifoy. UAB is not a good team. 

also, when CBP was at UT the rules were different.  The rules allowed full court all out D ... We dont do that nearly as often as even his first Auburn teams.  We might defend the inbounds and slow the guy down with the ball, but we are going full court D like the old days.

10 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

* AU leads the nation in blocked shots. That is good and bad. It is great to have shot blockers but he said they are giving up too many close shots. 

Wonder how to limit those...

Archived