Last Call for the Gus Bus?

autigeremt

Image result for Gus Bus

After another lackluster season with high expectations the Gus Bus came to a mind bending halt when the clock hit 0:00 at Bryant Denny Stadium. Fans and supporters of Auburn Football had already given up on the big waffle house rig long before the Iron Bowl but the old scrap heap got even uglier during the weeks leading up to Gus standing in front of the masses once again yesterday at his press conference stating officially that he would be steering the bus once again as the play caller after former OC Chip Lindsey had left the program to take the same position with Les Miles at Kansas. The hiring of "Dilly Dilly" from Memphis as QB coach and "OC" finalized the restructuring of the Gus Bus.

The big question now is will it be the restoration project of the decade or the final ride as it heads to the crusher? Here's my thinking behind why it's the best of both worlds:

1. No more speculation. Gus owns the offense lock, stock and barrel. 

2. Gus is best when he is the play caller. Just look at when he's been most successful. 

3. The offensive side of the ball has the most returning from 2018. And the young talent around that side of the ball is obvious from a skill position standpoint. The biggest question will be who starts at QB and will the offensive line improve (tremendously) over 2018? Running back depth is also another area of concern with Asa Martin transferring out of the program. 

4. It's do or die. Another 7-5 year will spell the end of the Gus Bus era at Auburn. 

I know a lot of people on this site would like to see the Gus Bus blow an engine and burn to the ground.

I'd like to see Auburn winning again.............

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

I just want AU to win and for everyone to stop using the corny gus bus reference lol

Ooohh, now that's an interesting take. Trade more Gus for less bus references? We're getting more Gus no matter what, so absolutely, yes, 100%, less bus references I'm in. Yay. Silver lining achievement unlocked. Post more often, Reeves, I like the way you think. 

I still have an "Auburn Fast" tshirt from 2013 when our HUNH (combined with Nick's amazing play action skills) made really good D's look really slow. I'd like to see Gus use tempo again in a meaningful way.

War Eagle!

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ooohh, now that's an interesting take. Trade more Gus for less bus references? We're getting more Gus no matter what, so absolutely, yes, 100%, less bus references I'm in. Yay. Silver lining achievement unlocked. Post more often, Reeves, I like the way you think. 

8D64EAE0-04E8-4CEF-83AA-B92B32A9E6CC.png

I’m on! I refuse to wish for a single loss for my Tigers! I have had on a full face racing helmet for a couple of years, as the ride has been bumpy. I added a HANS device after the LSU game this year. I’m off if it doesn’t smooth out.

i will pull for Auburn regardless of who might be coaching. i believe in loyalty even when i think we can do better. and i hope any auburn fans that pull against auburn burn in hell along with timmies hamster..................

I've always hated the "Gus Bus" tag line.. but it's too late to turn that sucker around now. ;)

I'm not part of the decision making process with the University, much less the Athletic Department (but hey, I'll submit an application if they're hiring..) so I'm on board with our team and coaches. I'll go in to next season with the hope and enthusiasm that we'll win it all, but life goes on whether we do or not. If we lose 4-5 games again, we'll probably be seeing a complete coaching staff change and that could spell years of further mediocrity or worse for the program which I hate to even contemplate. So, I'll wish for the best and fear for the worst.

:wareagle:

I can't go with 8 wins. He has to win at least 10 or...

bfa6a7894212bdc3a058256b15fc03a13c11b543_00.gif

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

I know a lot of people on this site would like to see the Gus Bus blow an engine and burn to the ground.

It hasn't already?

explosions.gif

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

4. It's do or die. Another 7-5 year will spell the end of the Gus Bus era at Auburn.

I am not convinced that this is true. I think people are underestimating Leath and how determined he may well be to keep CGM as head coach.

If a buyout actually occurs, the people that have to fund it are going to want justice in the form of Leaths job. He is, after all responsible for this situation.

My thinking is, that he will do anything to protect himself, including seriously damaging Auburn football.

4 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

I am not convinced that this is true. I think people are underestimating Leath and how determined he may well be to keep CGM as head coach.

If a buyout actually occurs, the people that have to fund it are going to want justice in the form of Leaths job. He is, after all responsible for this situation.

My thinking is, that he will do anything to protect himself, including seriously damaging Auburn football.

Leath may be the shortest term President in Auburn history. He's not very well regarded by many.

5 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

he already has seriously damaged Auburn football.

Scenario.  Tickets are being bought in mass by Georgia and Alabama fans and the crowd shows it along with disappointing losses.  Can Gus survive this?  I see no possible way.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I mean what the hell is the gus bus really? Do we take magical field trips into outer space on it?

2 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

I mean what the hell is the gus bus really? Do we take magical field trips into outer space on it?

I thought it was just the shuttle that took the old folks to waffle house once a week

7 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

I bet Sean White did. 

49 minutes ago, Zeek said:

It hasn't already?

explosions.gif

Now THAT is a bad day.  I don’t even know how you could go home and describe your day to your spouse.  

Does anyone remember the really early episode of South Park where the bus is hanging off of a cliff and being attacked by a monster, yet the kids inside are laughing and telling stories that all end with them eating ice cream?  That's what I feel like it would be if one was actually inside the Gus Bus.

27 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Does anyone remember the really early episode of South Park where the bus is hanging off of a cliff and being attacked by a monster, yet the kids inside are laughing and telling stories that all end with them eating ice cream?  That's what I feel like it would be if one was actually inside the Gus Bus.

I haven't seen that episode, but was there a crowd of parents and townspeople outside expressing concern about the kids' precarious circumstances?

Because if there was, then the perfect analogy would have the kids telling the parents and townspeople to shut up. 

Archived