Last Call for the Gus Bus?

autigeremt

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I haven't seen that episode, but was there a crowd of parents and townspeople outside expressing concern about the kids' precarious circumstances?

Because if there was, then the perfect analogy would have the kids telling the parents and townspeople to shut up. 

IIRC, the parents were definitely worried.  But the bus driver definitely left the kids alone to fend for themselves against the monster.  It's like season two or three.  Really early days of SP.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, CAReeves2010 said:

I mean what the hell is the gus bus really? Do we take magical field trips into outer space on it?

Well if you really want a magical bus to use

I want Auburn to go 12-0 next season more than anything Gus or no Gus. If Gus can right the ship then so be it. He has put himself in a position to do or die and this is the way it should be. He has no one to blame if we have a lackluster season in 2019 except for Gus.

It is Christmas time and maybe for the bowl game in should be the Gus Sled that is pulled by 8 malnourished tigers.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Well if you really want a magical bus to use

I am semi-accomplished bass player and can play that song. Nice Fender Jazz bass there!  I am a Music Man fan and own one that I play with my 250 watt Markbass combo amp with a Gallien Kruger 15 inch Eminence

speaker in a 300 watt cabinet. Sounds awesome. I am trying to get back in shape to play in my church orchestra!  Getting close! Any bass players out there?

I am not a big Gus fan but I don’t want to see another coaching change.  I just don’t see anything good coming out of that.  I don’t have much confidence in the administration’s ability to find and hire someone better.  The same people who screwed up the current contract would be negotiating a new one.  We would be much better off if Gus just turns it around and has a great season.  

I'm permanently off the Gus Bus. Someone can have my ticket. The only reason that I am still interested, is that I support the players, and I would like to see Dillingham succeed.

2 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

I'm permanently off the Gus Bus. Someone can have my ticket. The only reason that I am still interested, is that I support the players, and I would like to see Dillingham succeed.

NoGus2.png

I got off after the Georgia game a couple of years ago. I stated I could get back on after the Alabama win because it showed we could be consistent. Then the real Gus showed up. That thing is crashed and burning. I can't wait for the new coach after Gus. Consistency. And not consistently 8-5 or 7-6. 

I want Auburn to win every game. I won't pull against us, but that is very different from expecting us to win. And sometimes I may be more excited to see players or coaches from other teams, but that never means I want us to lose the game. Gus or no Gus. You don't have to love a coach to love Auburn. I love Auburn University and only ever want what's best for the school and the program.

3 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I am not a big Gus fan but I don’t want to see another coaching change.  I just don’t see anything good coming out of that.  I don’t have much confidence in the administration’s ability to find and hire someone better.  The same people who screwed up the current contract would be negotiating a new one.  We would be much better off if Gus just turns it around and has a great season.  

The most fun we have had all season was that 1 magical afternoon with that report that power players for AU had met with Bob Stoops. It has been miserable every other day this season since the washington game really. A coaching change and search is such a thrill and injects a lot of hope and optimism in the program even if it is unfounded. I want us to get a new coach ASAP while the roster (sans the atrocious OL situation) is still stock full of 4 and 5 stars. Recruiting still has not been effected like I thought it would. But every year we keep Gus is another year we are playing recruiting roulette in that this will be the cycle the bottom falls out. I will be very interested to see how the summer goes as far as recruiting. It went great this past summer. IDK after this big mess. 

10 hours ago, CAReeves2010 said:

I mean what the hell is the gus bus really? Do we take magical field trips into outer space on it?

A miserable ride through idiocy and incompetence but no cussing.

I was never riding this bus. Was disappointed in the hire from day one.  For all the right reasons, took a bunch of crap.  Anyone can have an  idea, but can you develop that idea over time?  An intelligent person seeks more knowledge, a moron thinks he knows everything.  We got a moron.

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I was never riding this bus. Was disappointed in the hire from day one.  For all the right reasons, took a bunch of crap.  Anyone can have an  idea, but can you develop that idea over time?  An intelligent person seeks more knowledge, a moron thinks he knows everything.  We got a moron.

The Gus Malzahn experience is the definition of insanity over and over again. Every year I swear since 2015 has been a make or break season. That is the same talk every off season. The narrative changed from OH GUS has changed his ways! He is going to step back and be a head coach and let the OC have complete control of the offense. That last for a couple of off seasons. Now it is back to O Gus is getting back to where he feels comfortable after he "retired" from playcalling for good he said in 2016. This dude is grasping at anything he can do to save his job over and over again. He has sacrificed so many people along the way. He threw rhett lashlee who is basically a son to him to the wolves to save his own skin. At least with chizik it was a natty sandwiched in between two 8-5 seasons and then 1 absolutely awful season. But I rather have 1 absolutely awful season where you can rip the band aid off completely than what this is which is death by a thousand cuts. This is 1 long slow painful coaching death that is sucking the life out of this program little by little. There is no joy anymore. Saturdays are miserable because we get a lot of lip service and the same ol same ol. Any average fan can call out our play calls before it happens. Auburns offense is just plain boring and predictable now. Just end it please. Gus has completely torn apart the Auburn family.

Whew this thing went left real quick..I remember the year UGA came in with Stafford (freshman) and beat us, I think Auburn was #3 or so at the time. No way in hell we should have lost that game. Well after the game one of my classmates sat there hand over eyes saying it’s over, how could this idiot Tubbs blow this, wth just happened etc. It was not fun watching Auburn lose that day...Anyway an elder Auburn fan told Auburn just lost a football game, simply that a game, now get up and go and enjoy the rest of the evening with your friends. My perspective somewhat changed that evening, for Auburn sports. Its gonna be highs and lows. Under Gus Auburn has seen both. So I’m gonna hop on the bus eyes wide open and see where it goes in 2019. Maybe it’s another high maybe another low but I’ll be there to enjoy the ride. Don’t be afraid to hop on, it’s a guaranteed two way ticket so at the end of the ride we can get off and celebrate or raise hell about how miserable the ride was. 

I really do not get the abandonment of the no-substitution strategy. Huddling is over-rated in college. Most teams signal in plays from the sideline. The “meerkat” approach, where the team lines up, stops, then stands and looks to the sideline for a new play to be signaled in is a valid alternative to the QB reading the defense, changing the play, and audibling. It may look goofy, but it is the same outcome, and a coach in the booth can see better. The “fast substitution” has made no sense since the rule changes allowing the defense to substitute—regardless fast substitution is much slower than no substitution.

But no-substitution on offense has one advantage: It forces the defense to not substitute and defend the play with the players they have on the field. “Trapping” a defense in a standard 4 DB package on second and long, a nickel package on third and short, or a dime package on first and ten can create mismatches.

Gus used to like to play hybrid players in a standard 21 or 11 personnel groups: a TE who could play hand-down, flexed out as a “big slot” or in the backfield as an H-Back, and a WR who doubled as a speed running back for jet sweeps and reverses. Gus used to run his Wildcat without substitution, just moving players around to create a short-yardage set out of a 21 personnel group. What made the Wildcat work is it usually was facing a nickel defense.

Great playmaker athletes who could play hybrid positions like Lutzenkirchen, Uzomah, and Ricardo Louis made the no-substitution system work. We also were conditioned to run at that speed.

I wish we could get back to that. The idea of substituting in a rushing WR or swapping a blocking TE for a WR in a long yardage situation is a testimony to how far we have moved away from the no-substitution offense.

As a sidebar, how do you defend a hyper-speed offense? I remember how Ted Roof prepared our defense to go against Oregon in the 2010 season BCS game. He ran two scout teams against our first-team defense so the scout team offense did not even have to run down the field to line up, instead the second scout team was already 10 yards down field and just shifted over and lined up. Nick Fairley said Oregon felt slow compared to the way they practiced.

I still have a first class seat on the bus. Recruiting is going very well and the players are more important than the scheme itself.  Fight on.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Gus has completely torn apart the Auburn family.

JMO but the "auburn family" is tearing itself apart with a bunch of continuous incessant bellyaching about everything conceivably at fault with the program....some of which are valid..... but the constant carping will do NOTHING to change the situation.    For better or worse, Gus is just out there trying to do his job.   He has the job, he has a contract and the PTBs say he is gonna be the coach next season.   .

So....you might as well get used to the idea.....and turn your attention and life to something else.  This is the Christmas season so go help feed some hungry people,    put a few coins in the Salvation Army kettle, drive a few nails on a Habitat project.  sing some Christmas carols with your neighbors,    

Forget about Gus,   go out and enjoy your life and spread some good cheer. "tis the season of peace and joy and love.    :kiss3:

3 hours ago, meh130 said:

Gus used to like to play hybrid players in a standard 21 or 11 personnel groups: a TE who could play hand-down, flexed out as a “big slot” or in the backfield as an H-Back, and a WR who doubled as a speed running back for jet sweeps and reverses. Gus used to run his Wildcat without substitution, just moving players around to create a short-yardage set out of a 21 personnel group. What made the Wildcat work is it usually was facing a nickel defense.

Nailed it here, especially with wild cat. It was designed for the defense not to be prepared for the RB getting the snap.  This is what made his offenses click, and wish he would go back to it

first one is how I feel about the players. Second one use your imagination haha.

D8E9FAA7-8257-45E1-A8F7-1B3951C3A750.gif

5490F899-C117-4F6A-B0FA-5D3C12D881FC.gif

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but the "auburn family" is tearing itself apart with a bunch of continuous incessant bellyaching about everything conceivably at fault with the program....some of which are valid..... but the constant carping will do NOTHING to change the situation.    For better or worse, Gus is just out there trying to do his job.   He has the job, he has a contract and the PTBs say he is gonna be the coach next season.   .

So....you might as well get used to the idea.....and turn your attention and life to something else.  This is the Christmas season so go help feed some hungry people,    put a few coins in the Salvation Army kettle, drive a few nails on a Habitat project.  sing some Christmas carols with your neighbors,    

Forget about Gus,   go out and enjoy your life and spread some good cheer. "tis the season of peace and joy and love.    :kiss3:

You can be rest assured that this $49,000,000 (let that sink in) clown show isn't ruining my life.

Archived