UAB Preview/Review

aubiefifty

Auburn basketball opponent preview: UAB

Updated 10:30 AM; Posted 10:30 AM

UAB head coach Robert Ehsan celebrates a score over Auburn during the second half Saturday, Dec. 9, 2017, at Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)

0 shares

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

SBlum@al.com

No. 8 Auburn (8-1) will play what is effectively its first road game of the season against UAB (6-3) on Saturday night in Birmingham. The game tips off at 6:30 p.m. inside Legacy Arena, and is officially considered a neutral site game.

The Tigers have won four games in a row, and most recently defeated a tough Dayton team by 10 points on Saturday. The team is coming off of finals week, and has a chance to beat the Blazers for the second year in a row. When Bruce Pearl first took the Auburn job in 2014, it was UAB that went to the NCAA Tournament that season.

Now, it’s Auburn that has the more well-established program. It will still be a challenge for Auburn.

Here’s everything you need to know about UAB.

SCOUTING UAB

UAB is 4-0 in Birmingham this season, but they have yet to be tested at home. In fact, all six of their wins are against not very good teams. Their best win of the season came at home against Mercer, which says a lot about the competition they’ve beaten this season.

Their losses have come against much better teams. Florida State, Charleston and Memphis. The issue is those losses have come by a combined 59 points — nearly 20 points per game. Against the best competition, the Blazers have been bad.

UAB is in its third season under head coach Rob Ehsan, and last season was the better of the two. The team finished No. 105 in Kenpom’s rankings with a 20-13 record. They did not play in the postseason.

This year’s UAB team really struggles from the 3-point line, and score 59.1 percent of their points from inside the arc, which is 13th in Division I. They’re the No. 5 offensive rebounding team in the country. Their most experienced player, and one of their top scorers is Lewis Sullivan, a four-year senior who has scored in double-figures in all but two games this season.

UAB last made the NCAA Tournament in 2015 when Jerod Haase was the head coach.

LAST TIME THEY PLAYED

This will be the 21st meeting between the two in-state rivals, and the teams have each won 10 times. The last meeting came a year ago, when the two programs linked up in Auburn. The Tigers won that game, 85-80 on Dec. 9, 2017. Auburn got out to a huge lead to start, going up by as many as 15 points in the first half, before the Blazers made a game of it.

Bryce Brown had 27 points. Jared Harper had 21 points. Deseasn Murray had 18 points, and the rest scored 19 points in the Tigers win.

“Just a great rivalry game,” Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said after the game. “Had we lost the game, I would’ve come in here and sung UAB’s praises. ... Sometimes you could from a personnel standpoint you could really point to this and go, ‘God, we’re not going to get this done.’ ... So many guys had to step up to be able to get this win.”

HOW AUBURN WINS

Auburn will have to do a better job on the glass in this game. They were out-rebounded by 10 against Dayton. And though it wasn’t too costly, it’s not a recipe for success. The Tigers don’t necessarily have to win the rebounding battle, but if they do, it would be hard to envision UAB having a chance in this game.

They would do well to force the Blazers into shooting from the perimeter to be successful. Auburn will get their 3-point shots, but the same might not be said for a UAB team that doesn’t have any bonafide shooters on their roster

STAT TO KNOW

Last season, UAB scored its biggest win on of the season on March 3 over Western Kentucky. They won that game by 28 points. It was just the ninth loss of the season for WKU, who was ranked in Kenpom’s Top 50. Five days later, though, the season ended for UAB with a loss to Western Kentucky in the CUSA tournament. They lost that game by 28 points.

PLAYER TO WATCH

Jalen Perry seems to be the one player on the team that can make 3-pointers with any effectiveness. He’s made a third of his 39 attempts this season, and is the only Blazer with more than 10 makes on the year. It’s not necessarily an X-Factor for UAB, but he does provide something slightly different than other shooters on the team.

Two weeks ago went looking for tickets at BJCC website. $80 a piece for rafter seats. $388 for floor seats.

Last year paid $35 per seat down low for MTSU game.

Hope they are sold out.

I'll be pulling for them from the safety of my own couch.

• ellitor changed the title to UAB Preview/Review

Life is crazy busy and I've missed a couple of preview/reviews  but I'm back and here we go. 

Auburn comes into this one in better shape than I forecast we would be. Sitting at 8-1 wit Purifoy coming back, the season is really starting to look like it could be a special year. Things change quickly and I will share more long term thoughts once the non-conference is done, but so far many of my concerns for this season have not come to fruition. 

Turning our attention to the Blazers, there are a lot of write ups online about this game and I will leave it to them to cover the normal beat writer filler, so lets look at some of the good stuff. UAB's heartbeat is Zack Bryant. The starting guard leads the Blazers in minutes (30.25), points (12.88), assists (3.38), steals (1.88) and blocks (0.50). The only other player who leads a category is Will Butler who leads them in rebounding at 6.4 per game.  I think Zack will be in for a long night with the defensive pressure he is going to face and that will lead to a long night overall for UAB. This is not the UAB team that we have seen over the years. They are not an uptempo hyper-athletic team, they really struggle offensively, scoring 68.5 per game, shooting 46.9% from the field and 26% from deep, with 15+ turnovers per game as well. They are going to really struggle against our pressure defense, I would expect a high volume of turnovers and if they don't have a good shooting night, they may not get out of the 50s.  

Defensively, they aren't very good either. They allow 70.8 per game, force 15 turnovers per game and only block 2 shots per game. If there were ever a night for us to attack the rim, it is this game. They allow a high shooting percentage, 50% by opposing teams, but with only 2 blocks a game I would like to see us focus on getting some points in the paint. Would like to see us finish on dribble drives and throw it in to Wiley and Okeke in the post. 

If UAB has any advantage in this game it is rebounding the ball. Statistically, they are slightly better. If they have any chance to stay in this game it is going to be because they hammer us on the boards. I'd like to see our guys focus on that and ensure we don't lose that battle. 

Things I will be watching are centered around the return of Purifoy. From what CBP says, his return will mimic Wiley's and be somewhat gradual. However, unlike Wiley CBP only has four games to get him ready for SEC play. With NC State and Murray St next, two top 50 teams, I'd like to see Purifoy get 10+ mins tonight. How many minutes at the three vs how many at the four will be interesting. Does he shoot jump shots or drive the ball, he is a mystery at this point given how long he has been on the shelf. Without him we are the second best team in the league right now. If he gets right quickly we would be the best team in the league, in my opinion. His size would allow us to be even more multiple with our offensive and defensive looks and I will be watching him closely this weekend. 

I'd love for this to be a big game given the in-state opponent, but we should crush UAB by 20+.

War Eagle!

I forgot to mention that I will also be watching the starting lineup. I have said that I expect Wiley to take over the starting 5 spot at some point this season. If Purifoy is expected to work his way back in the starting five at the 3 spot. I would expect CBP to work Wiley back in the starting lineup sooner rather than later. Perhaps what happens at the 5 spot is an indicator of CBP's expectations of Purifoy. Total speculation on my part. 

This is always a tough match-up for me. I grew up in Birmingham and UAB grew up right along with me. I love it almost as much as I love Auburn. I want Auburn to win but I hate to see UAB get crushed.  

UAB is flat garbage this year. Think they're the second worst team remaining on the schedule according to some analytics. Should be a fun showing as Danjel will get plenty of PT late in the game to rain threes for the traveling spectators. 

21 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

UAB is flat garbage this year. Think they're the second worst team remaining on the schedule according to some analytics. Should be a fun showing as Danjel will get plenty of PT late in the game to rain threes for the traveling spectators. 

Harsh.....

I miss the Gene Bartow years.

Looking at some of their earlier match ups  and the results you can tell this is not the usual UAB team.  But they are a physical team.  I expect they will be fired up to play the #8 team in the Nation also.  Of course for us, the Purifoy Arising is the name of the game tomorrow and how it will play out.  Where will he fit?  The play of Doughty has been what Bruce was desiring for his type of play. Now he adds another piece, but just how ?  The last game Malik only played 5 minutes and he was off on his shooting and ineffective.  Is it his place that Purifoy takes, except with more playing time? Or does Bruce work out another 5 to flip in and out with Mccormick's good play and Doughty's excellent work at guard?

UAB will be fired up for this one and will have a home town advantage.  But I think AUs overall talent and depth will let us beat the spread.  

7 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Two weeks ago went looking for tickets at BJCC website. $80 a piece for rafter seats. $388 for floor seats.

Last year paid $35 per seat down low for MTSU game.

Hope they are sold out.

I'll be pulling for them from the safety of my own couch.

Not sold out -- LOTS left.  But I just got some decent seats for me, the wife and my youngest boy.  Anyhow, great deal!  We are excited!  The last time I went to this, Bruce saw my kid (then 8 yrs old) waiting for a chance to get a pic.  I swear 20+ people had to walk in front of us (SLOWLY) for the space to clear but Bruce waited and my boy will remember that moment for a lifetime (it's on Facebook- my most liked pic ever).  Also - I stood right next to Harper and NO WAY in heck he's 5'11 HA!  No way, never.  I'm only 5'9'' and I was easily his height and maybe slightly taller.  Whatever - he can slam it home.  WDE!

• ellitor changed the title to UAB Preview/Review
10 hours ago, AU82 said:

UAB will be fired up for this one and will have a home town advantage.  But I think AUs overall talent and depth will let us beat the spread.  

I expect WAY more AU fans at the game than UAB. Heck, the secondary market ticket prices have risen to prices I doubt many UAB fans will pay, no offense to them. 

I think you still have to have a cable provider with the channel to watch. Frustrating.  I love watching this team and don't like not being able to see them play. 

2 hours and 10 minutes until tipoff!!!!!...already took a shower,fed my animals and am in countdown mode until tipoff.....listening to ky-utah and getting nervous.....i used to be like this for football, but since bruce came to town, i get like this for basketball now and football is kinda' an after thought....tonight, i want them to move the basketball and work for good shots....the last couple of games, we have begun to to take a few shitshots, and did not move and share the ball like we did early....i do want horace to hit a 3 tonight....he really does have good form on his misfires, but one does not get points for a pretty miss....on the other hand, we really don't need another 3 point monster to rear its head right now......hit the damn boards, guys!....we got owned against dayton and at times, looked passive and to honest, a little timid and since we got 2 full teams now, an aggressive foul or two ain't gonna' hurt as much.....if you think i am critical for no reasson, there is a good reason....we won a NC in football during my lifetime (2 actually but in 1957 i was 3 years old so i don't remember much about it)now, i want a final 4 to see what that is like....i'm 64 and a two time cancer survivor,so i ain't gonna' have too many more seasons to wait( already had more than i thought i would)because the odds are against me....our defense will be good,so i am not going to mention that and i won't mention free throws yet because i think they will get better.....we were pretty damned good last year,especially in the clutch....all in all, there is not much to worry about tonight, but i am doing it anyway because i hate losing.....i hope we pressure the basketball all night tonight, from one end of the court to the other, just to see how well we can do it....please ignore the many typos that i knw are in here....not going to proofread

6 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I think you still have to have a cable provider with the channel to watch. Frustrating.  I love watching this team and don't like not being able to see them play. 

In case you have access to a family member or friend's cable account for online viewing of channels via their log in credentials like I will have to do tonight the game will be available in the link below. People may have to highlight "Watch" on the upper right side of the page & click "Watch CBS Sports Channel". Online streaming is only available on FireFox & Chrome Browsers. It's also available on mobile via IPhone. Not sure about Android but I would imagine so.

http://www.cbssports.com/cbs-sports-network/

yeah, i have it on now and it is a much better quality than the bspn streams....i didn't figure it would and had planned to just watch it on tv but if things don't change, its good enough to just sit right here...i can't sync rod and sonny on the tv but i can in here on the computer

i use the link                    https://auburntigers.com/watch/?Live=73&type=Live                  to listen and then the video on whoever is carrying it....this is the first time for cbs sports net......the bspn video gets behind coming out of commercials,so i refresh it after one.....takes a little doing but i have been doing it for two years....the stream runs behind live tv and radio and i do use tv and radio for football but they won't won't sync up....radio is ahead of tv.....this is not perfect, but it works for me (most of the time)

Archived