Ideas for the Program

AUght2win

This board is home to fans of all different backgrounds and professions. Smart, Auburn people. I'm sure we all have some unique ideas about how to improve the Auburn program in some way, outside of the actual product on the field. Maybe ideas that nobody has ever thought of before. I'm talking about gameday experience, the brand, the stadium, the uniforms, whatever!

Consider this a thread to pitch any ideas you might have about Auburn football. For one, it'll be fun to hear them. For two, who knows who reads this board? WHO. KNOWS. So let 'em fly! Here are mine...

1. Perfection > National Titles - we don't celebrate our perfect seasons nearly as much as they should be celebrated. Perfection is amazingly rare in any sport. I mean, what's more impressive, a pitcher pitching a perfect game or a complete game? The 2004, 14-0 Auburn Tigers or the 2007 12-2 LSU Tigers who won a national title? To me, with the flawed, opinion-based system college football has, a perfect season is much more impressive than a national championship. We should be the first school to openly tout this value system. 1913, 1957, 1993, 2004, and 2010 should be listed in the stadium as "Perfects". These Perfects should be Auburn's pride, even moreso than our 2 national titles. We would need to have the right approach to infuse it with our brand without seeming hokey. But I think this could end the debate about whether or not to claim more titles.

2. Recognize Tubberville - it's past due. Jay Jacobs is gone, and there's no reason not to recognize Auburn's 4th winningest all time coach, who elevated Auburn's program to a national brand. Currently, it's like the guy never coached there at all. He needs something simple and permanent to cement his legacy, like adding him to the coaches mural outside the stadium. He also deserves a game where his career is recognized.

3. Alternate Uniforms... for A-day - this would be a cool way to spice up A-day and draw attention to the program from recruits. Most teams do it during the regular season. UGA, Tennessee, Florida, and LSU have all done WILD renditions of their uniforms in big games. I don't want us to ever do that, as we have such an iconic look and it is not smart for branding to give up something iconic. But why not during A-day when it doesn't matter? Eagle wings? Tiger stripes? A brick texture as an homage to campus architecture? I'll leave that to an expert, but I think it'd be cool to see a new, alternate uniform unveiled every A-day. 

Windows-logo-587x840.png

4. Throwback uniforms for Cupcake games - if you're going to schedule the Alabama States, Idahos, and Mercers of the world, give the fans who attend a cool perk. We have a lot of awesome throwback uniforms that we could showcase maybe once a year. Personally, I want to see this one.

1949-Auburn-all-watermark-768x534.png

5. Claim more national titles - I haven't always loved this idea. And it's a bit in contrast to idea #1. But we should go for it for with years like 04, 93, 83, 14, and 13. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made this a whole separate post, but I also have a lot of ideas about...

The Jaybotron.

First off, SOMEONE PLEASE PAINT THIS THING. I can't believe they decided to build this monstrosity and then make its primary color a dull grey. It's tough to look at. I mocked up a Photoshop of the scoreboard painted Navy, and it looks so much better. Forgive the shoddy work. Not my best PS effort but it gets the point across.

auburn-scoreboard-ftr-090115-twitter_28fw1w49lfxi13r45s18huie2.jpg

scoreboard.jpg

Can we also do something about the gigantic lack of creativity circled here? 

AU-Video-Board-Feature-Image.jpg

It's already a gigantic grey cube. But we have to make it even uglier by just stating our name and having a centerpiece that looks like a tire-cover? Personally, I'd like to see us bring back the glow-murals. They were truly unique to Auburn, and it always made night games feel like these old legends were looking down over the action. 

USATSI_8192751.jpg

2014-10-25 21.46.09.jpg

Maybe we can put the murals on top of the scoreboard?

scoreboard2.jpg

jumbo1.jpg

At the very least, put them at the North Endzone. I really, really hated to see them go when we erected the Jaybotron. 

northend.jpg

6 minutes ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

Tubberville 💩 in his mess kit with his latest comments. Honor him? It will never happen.

Dye has always and will always say much worse.

We could also use a new alternate logo. Been a while since the Tiger Eyes under Tubbs (I loved the Tiger Eyes, btw). 

Maybe a new spin on these classics? Or hell, just bring back these logos and incorporate them in more.

6cd32fc74b20d02847d04b8b7de1545a.jpg

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

We could also use a new alternate logo. Been a while since the Tiger Eyes under Tubbs (I loved the Tiger Eyes, btw). 

Maybe a new spin on these classics? Or hell, just bring back these logos and incorporate them in more.

They have all but brought these things back. They have flags of the Eagle and A right across from the north ez where the transits stop. I'd love to see that logo become the alt. 

I also would like to see the back of the Jumbo Tron finished. Also add a smaller screen on the north ez and bring back the murals, like what was posted.

Last but not least, please glget rid of the metallic strips on the helmet. They don't look right on such a plain uniform. 

Easy. Recruit nationally. I know some are going to say we only have relationship's in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida

Make the relationships. Recruit nationally. We will never be what we want to be until we stop restricting ourselves to recruiting 4 states.

We don't even recruit Tennessee anymore...

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

But we should go for it for with years like 04, 93, 83, 14, and 13.

I somewhat agree on 83, 93, and 04. 

13 and 14 NO WAY. I can't believe someone would even suggest those two. 13 we had our chance and Gus blew it for us. He took his foot off the gas and allowed FSU to come back from more than 20 points down. 

14, we were 8-5 for gods sake. We lost 5 games. The same amount we have lost so far this year. Maybe we should claim this year also? I SERIOUSLY do not understand how someone could suggest those two seasons. 

27 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I somewhat agree on 83, 93, and 04. 

13 and 14 NO WAY. I can't believe someone would even suggest those two. 13 we had our chance and Gus blew it for us. He took his foot off the gas and allowed FSU to come back from more than 20 points down. 

14, we were 8-5 for gods sake. We lost 5 games. The same amount we have lost so far this year. Maybe we should claim this year also? I SERIOUSLY do not understand how someone could suggest those two seasons. 

That's 1913 and 1914 duh

Get rid of corporate tailgating.  Bring back the eagle cage.  Do something with the north end zone score board.  If Auburn isn’t going to renovate then spend the money on a modest video board in the north end zone.

6 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Easy. Recruit nationally. I know some are going to say we only have relationship's in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida

Make the relationships. Recruit nationally. We will never be what we want to be until we stop restricting ourselves to recruiting 4 states.

We don't even recruit Tennessee anymore...

These are non-coaching related ideas. No coach will ever listen to the fans. But I think fans actually can change things like gameday experience.

You make some good suggestions here especially about honoring all of our undefeated teams. Honestly does anyone in the last 25 years other than Auburn have 3 undefeated seasons? Maybe Boise St?

Regarding Tubberville he did not make Auburn a national power Pat Dye did. Now if what you are trying to say is he reversed the plunge under Tater Tot I would certainly agree with that.

I still would like them to clam every National championship AU has a right to and honor those teams. Then use this to brand AU with its true winning history. One of the smarter things bammer did back in the day.

16 hours ago, AUght2win said:

This board is home to fans of all different backgrounds and professions. Smart, Auburn people. I'm sure we all have some unique ideas about how to improve the Auburn program in some way, outside of the actual product on the field. Maybe ideas that nobody has ever thought of before. I'm talking about gameday experience, the brand, the stadium, the uniforms, whatever!

Consider this a thread to pitch any ideas you might have about Auburn football. For one, it'll be fun to hear them. For two, who knows who reads this board? WHO. KNOWS. So let 'em fly! Here are mine...

1. Perfection > National Titles - we don't celebrate our perfect seasons nearly as much as they should be celebrated. Perfection is amazingly rare in any sport. I mean, what's more impressive, a pitcher pitching a perfect game or a complete game? The 2004, 14-0 Auburn Tigers or the 2007 12-2 LSU Tigers who won a national title? To me, with the flawed, opinion-based system college football has, a perfect season is much more impressive than a national championship. We should be the first school to openly tout this value system. 1913, 1957, 1993, 2004, and 2010 should be listed in the stadium as "Perfects". These Perfects should be Auburn's pride, even moreso than our 2 national titles. We would need to have the right approach to infuse it with our brand without seeming hokey. But I think this could end the debate about whether or not to claim more titles.

2. Recognize Tubberville - it's past due. Jay Jacobs is gone, and there's no reason not to recognize Auburn's 4th winningest all time coach, who elevated Auburn's program to a national brand. Currently, it's like the guy never coached there at all. He needs something simple and permanent to cement his legacy, like adding him to the coaches mural outside the stadium. He also deserves a game where his career is recognized.

3. Alternate Uniforms... for A-day - this would be a cool way to spice up A-day and draw attention to the program from recruits. Most teams do it during the regular season. UGA, Tennessee, Florida, and LSU have all done WILD renditions of their uniforms in big games. I don't want us to ever do that, as we have such an iconic look and it is not smart for branding to give up something iconic. But why not during A-day when it doesn't matter? Eagle wings? Tiger stripes? A brick texture as an homage to campus architecture? I'll leave that to an expert, but I think it'd be cool to see a new, alternate uniform unveiled every A-day. 

Windows-logo-587x840.png

4. Throwback uniforms for Cupcake games - if you're going to schedule the Alabama States, Idahos, and Mercers of the world, give the fans who attend a cool perk. We have a lot of awesome throwback uniforms that we could showcase maybe once a year. Personally, I want to see this one.

5. Claim more national titles - I haven't always loved this idea. And it's a bit in contrast to idea #1. But we should go for it for with years like 04, 93, 83, 14, and 13. 

I'd vote for 1 & 2. Related but off topic, is there any interest in us recognizing Vince Dooley, Auburn Man while he is still alive? It would also be backhand slap at the thUGA crowd who can't seem to acknowledge Vince's contribution to thUGA. We can do something for the Georgia coarch that the thGUAs can't seem to do for them selves.  Nothing too elaborate; perhaps the vistor's locker room or the vistor's sideline. 

Regarding the Jumbotron - those white stripes are hideous, and even worse that they're attempts to liken the Jumbotron to a more traditional massing.  Ideas to decorate the box with screens and attachments isn't helping that thing.  As much as you may not like the grey, my guess is its there because the lighter color weathers much better than dark blue.  The navy blue fades quickly, requiring expensive repaints every 2-3 years...not to mention the heat it absorbs.  Expensive because that thing is high up in the air.  The grey probably could have been a little lighter (or darker) and slightly warmer.

Regarding the uniforms..isn't going to happen and that logo on the first uniform is awful.  Maybe if AU was a 90's tech and engineering firm it would work. Those throwback uniforms aren't bad.

- My snobby award-winning architect's point of view.

17 hours ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

Tubberville 💩 in his mess kit with his latest comments. Honor him? It will never happen.

Yeah, Tubbs had some very unkind things to say about Auburn.  Before that, I would have been all for honoring him.  But not now.

2 hours ago, API said:

This would never work.

The NCAA would never let Auburn players play with no facemasks.

😉😁

Alternate unis would be okay but I like our logo the way it is. Honoring Tuberville would include spelling his name correctly. ;) 

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Regarding the Jumbotron - those white stripes are hideous, and even worse that they're attempts to liken the Jumbotron to a more traditional massing.  Ideas to decorate the box with screens and attachments isn't helping that thing.  As much as you may not like the grey, my guess is its there because the lighter color weathers much better than dark blue.  The navy blue fades quickly, requiring expensive repaints every 2-3 years...not to mention the heat it absorbs.  Expensive because that thing is high up in the air.  The grey probably could have been a little lighter (or darker) and slightly warmer.

Regarding the uniforms..isn't going to happen and that logo on the first uniform is awful.  Maybe if AU was a 90's tech and engineering firm it would work. Those throwback uniforms aren't bad.

- My snobby award-winning architect's point of view.

Snobby architect or not, the scoreboard is hideous. They need to go navy even if it does have to be continually repainted. It's worth it.

2 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Yeah, Tubbs had some very unkind things to say about Auburn.  Before that, I would have been all for honoring him.  But not now.

All the guy said was the behind the scenes of Auburn made the job a mess. If the past 2 weeks doesn't prove that to you idk what will.

6 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

You make some good suggestions here especially about honoring all of our undefeated teams. Honestly does anyone in the last 25 years other than Auburn have 3 undefeated seasons? Maybe Boise St?

Regarding Tubberville he did not make Auburn a national power Pat Dye did. Now if what you are trying to say is he reversed the plunge under Tater Tot I would certainly agree with that.

Tubbs made us great in the cable and internet age. Dye and Shug certainly had more success than he did, but by sheer timing, Tommy put us in the national spotlight. 2004 also changed college football as a whole.

19 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Love this idea.  Growing up, these were the logos I was accustomed to

Archived