Ideas for the Program

AUght2win

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/14/2018 at 4:29 PM, AUght2win said:

This board is home to fans of all different backgrounds and professions. Smart, Auburn people. I'm sure we all have some unique ideas about how to improve the Auburn program in some way, outside of the actual product on the field. Maybe ideas that nobody has ever thought of before. I'm talking about gameday experience, the brand, the stadium, the uniforms, whatever!

Consider this a thread to pitch any ideas you might have about Auburn football. For one, it'll be fun to hear them. For two, who knows who reads this board? WHO. KNOWS. So let 'em fly! Here are mine...

1. Perfection > National Titles - we don't celebrate our perfect seasons nearly as much as they should be celebrated. Perfection is amazingly rare in any sport. I mean, what's more impressive, a pitcher pitching a perfect game or a complete game? The 2004, 14-0 Auburn Tigers or the 2007 12-2 LSU Tigers who won a national title? To me, with the flawed, opinion-based system college football has, a perfect season is much more impressive than a national championship. We should be the first school to openly tout this value system. 1913, 1957, 1993, 2004, and 2010 should be listed in the stadium as "Perfects". These Perfects should be Auburn's pride, even moreso than our 2 national titles. We would need to have the right approach to infuse it with our brand without seeming hokey. But I think this could end the debate about whether or not to claim more titles.

2. Recognize Tubberville - it's past due. Jay Jacobs is gone, and there's no reason not to recognize Auburn's 4th winningest all time coach, who elevated Auburn's program to a national brand. Currently, it's like the guy never coached there at all. He needs something simple and permanent to cement his legacy, like adding him to the coaches mural outside the stadium. He also deserves a game where his career is recognized.

3. Alternate Uniforms... for A-day - this would be a cool way to spice up A-day and draw attention to the program from recruits. Most teams do it during the regular season. UGA, Tennessee, Florida, and LSU have all done WILD renditions of their uniforms in big games. I don't want us to ever do that, as we have such an iconic look and it is not smart for branding to give up something iconic. But why not during A-day when it doesn't matter? Eagle wings? Tiger stripes? A brick texture as an homage to campus architecture? I'll leave that to an expert, but I think it'd be cool to see a new, alternate uniform unveiled every A-day. 

Windows-logo-587x840.png

4. Throwback uniforms for Cupcake games - if you're going to schedule the Alabama States, Idahos, and Mercers of the world, give the fans who attend a cool perk. We have a lot of awesome throwback uniforms that we could showcase maybe once a year. Personally, I want to see this one.

1949-Auburn-all-watermark-768x534.png

5. Claim more national titles - I haven't always loved this idea. And it's a bit in contrast to idea #1. But we should go for it for with years like 04, 93, 83, 14, and 13. 

I’m all for doing 1-5.

21 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Easy. Recruit nationally. I know some are going to say we only have relationship's in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida

Make the relationships. Recruit nationally. We will never be what we want to be until we stop restricting ourselves to recruiting 4 states.

We don't even recruit Tennessee anymore...

Recruiting nationally is a great idea. While recruiting in-state, Florida, Georgia & Mississippi’s good - The Carolinas, Texas, California, Ohio, the DMV area, Louisiana (mainly down in NOLA-Baton Rouge areas), Washington, & Hawaii are also where some of the top elite prospects in the country are at.

Meanwhile, I’m also for a massive North End Zone expansion & a state-of-the-art football-only complex.

24 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Nobody else bothered by the scoreboard's color? Just me?

As far as scoreboard, the only real problem I have with it is the fact that the "Visitors" number has WAY too often been higher than the "Home" number since it was introduced.

19 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Yeah, Tubbs had some very unkind things to say about Auburn.  Before that, I would have been all for honoring him.  But not now.

I never like to see or hear negative things about Auburn, but what specifically did Tubs say that wasn’t true? I’m not asking to be antagonistic, but I didn’t notice anything that was a lie. 

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Nobody else bothered by the scoreboard's color? Just me?

I was neutral on it, but seeing what the blue would look like, I would much prefer that to the gray. 

59 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I never like to see or hear negative things about Auburn, but what specifically did Tubs say that wasn’t true? I’m not asking to be antagonistic, but I didn’t notice anything that was a lie. 

I didn't say anything he said was a lie.  But he seemed to relish the opportunity to throw public shade at Auburn during a time when we were down and hurting a bit. 

I like Tubs a lot, and I think he wants to be remembered as the guy who beat Bama 6 times in a row.  I'll always remember him for that.  

But it seemed to me that he went out of his way to make Auburn look bad.  There are kinder yet honest ways of saying "Auburn has some problems" without firing both barrels.

As far as the uniforms go, we just need to get the trash orange shoes and sleeves and other BS fluff out of there.

BLACK SHOES.  BLACK SOCKS.  That's what needs to happen and quick.

IllGracefulBoaconstrictor-size_restricte

HelpfulUnsungGavial-max-1mb.gif

Yeah.  That's what we need.  REAL MEN WITH REAL COACHES REPPIN' AU.

1 hour ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I didn't say anything he said was a lie.  But he seemed to relish the opportunity to throw public shade at Auburn during a time when we were down and hurting a bit. 

I like Tubs a lot, and I think he wants to be remembered as the guy who beat Bama 6 times in a row.  I'll always remember him for that.  

But it seemed to me that he went out of his way to make Auburn look bad.  There are kinder yet honest ways of saying "Auburn has some problems" without firing both barrels.

Fair points. Ordinarily I would be in complete agreement with you. But I’m starting to feel like the only way to force change is calling the PTB out publicly. I’m just longing for a run of sustained success without so much drama. Our fan base deserves that. WDE

4 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

As far as the uniforms go, we just need to get the trash orange shoes and sleeves and other BS fluff out of there.

:thumbsup: I've always thought that was a bad-ass look.

AU needs to create excitement 

new  uniforms for certain games . Under armor should partner up with us to create a home game line to blow people’s minds 

We need a true walk out song that strikes fear in the opponents. Not the AU fight song. .crazy train would be awesome 

pyrotech when AU scores a td . 

Deals with Tim Cook at Apple to help the fan experience .

honor the national titles like everyone else

new scoreboard to replace the dinosaur

all access AU programs to create brand awareness . 

Use coach pearl in creating brand awareness . 

47 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

AU needs to create excitement 

new  uniforms for certain games . Under armor should partner up with us to create a home game line to blow people’s minds 

We need a true walk out song that strikes fear in the opponents. Not the AU fight song. .crazy train would be awesome 

pyrotech when AU scores a td . 

Deals with Tim Cook at Apple to help the fan experience .

honor the national titles like everyone else

new scoreboard to replace the dinosaur

all access AU programs to create brand awareness . 

Use coach pearl in creating brand awareness . 

Auburn doesn't need to go crazy with alternate unis. That is why I put the condition of alts being in the spring game. The worst thing an iconic brand could do is ditch their look. Maybe it'd be okay in one game that doesn't matter.

And not sure Crazy Train is striking fear into any 18-20 year olds.

48 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Auburn doesn't need to go crazy with alternate unis. That is why I put the condition of alts being in the spring game. The worst thing an iconic brand could do is ditch their look. Maybe it'd be okay in one game that doesn't matter.

And not sure Crazy Train is striking fear into any 18-20 year olds.

I agree on both terms . No Oregon like on unis, but it would be cool to see two or three alternate . Like military appreciation, spring game, and if any other anniversaries hit during the season . Also I get the crazy train comment , but some song . Pantera, meshugga, something that sets the players on fire . We are boring as hell. That’s all I’m saying 

On 12/14/2018 at 11:12 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

Easy. Recruit nationally. I know some are going to say we only have relationship's in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida

Make the relationships. Recruit nationally. We will never be what we want to be until we stop restricting ourselves to recruiting 4 states.

We don't even recruit Tennessee anymore...

Stretching yourself too thin is a recipe for disaster. There are a ton of good players in our current footprint, and as long as we hold our own there, we've got a pretty good shot. If we start recruiting nationally, that takes away from the amount of time spent on the connections already made and built in, which in turn weakens regional recruiting for the mere chance at recruiting nationally (which won't happen unless Auburn wins another NC or two in the next 5-10 years). I'd like to see us build inroads to Louisiana and Texas, since they are in the SEC footprint, but there are so many high caliber players in Florida, Georgia, and Alabama that we would be shooting ourselves in the foot not to focus on those areas.

32 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I agree on both terms . No Oregon like on unis, but it would be cool to see two or three alternate . Like military appreciation, spring game, and if any other anniversaries hit during the season . Also I get the crazy train comment , but some song . Pantera, meshugga, something that sets the players on fire . We are boring as hell. That’s all I’m saying 

Definitely love the Military Appreciation Day alternate idea for Auburn. Long overdue for that and I'm as traditional as you get. As much as I love our road whites I've wanted to try blue pants for an away game for years. 

Expand the upper deck but in so doing increase the space for everyone’s seating. Let’s get individual chairs with cup holders similar to what’s in the basketball arena.

Brick the stadium in

Football only facility put on a rush order. Make it happen yesterday. Don’t let Gus have any design input and definitely put more effort in than our locker room.

584E9BDC-8846-462B-9E59-2644D2F47FEB.jpeg9F8B38D4-4607-4B84-A2C4-FE2EA2047E51.png

Just once a year alternates wouldn’t kill us. I’m tired of the arguments against it. The kids love it and it creates some buzz around the brand. Tell me an all navy look wouldn’t be awesome.

Agreed about recruiting nationally. Our brand overall could benefit from better outreach. Partially why I agree with claiming all of our national titles that we’ve earned.

I think we need to seriously reevaluate our press relations. Seems like we give too much access to people who aren’t portraying us fairly. I’m not looking for yellow journalism but man do some perfectly timed smear articles seem to come out at inopportune times.

Also agreed that it seems like Auburn is in a unique position to partner with Apple and do some cool things. Not so sure what but it seems like a possibility.

Sell alcohol at games.

Lower ticket prices. We should aim to sell out every game even trash games. Provide incentives for students to stay for the entirity of every game. Hate to see such an empty section whether we’re winning or losing.

10 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Actually, I was thinking about this. How about Solid Navy Blue Shoes and Socks. Not navy shoes with white tiger stripes, or orange soles, or glittery material, or any of the other crazy shoes from 2015. Just dark navy blue socks, navy shoes, black soles, navy laces, black eyelets, black Under Armour logo. The shoes and socks would almost look black.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Expand the upper deck but in so doing increase the space for everyone’s seating. Let’s get individual chairs with cup holders similar to what’s in the basketball arena.

Brick the stadium in

Football only facility put on a rush order. Make it happen yesterday. Don’t let Gus have any design input and definitely put more effort in than our locker room.

584E9BDC-8846-462B-9E59-2644D2F47FEB.jpeg9F8B38D4-4607-4B84-A2C4-FE2EA2047E51.png

Just once a year alternates wouldn’t kill us. I’m tired of the arguments against it. The kids love it and it creates some buzz around the brand. Tell me an all navy look wouldn’t be awesome.

Agreed about recruiting nationally. Our brand overall could benefit from better outreach. Partially why I agree with claiming all of our national titles that we’ve earned.

I think we need to seriously reevaluate our press relations. Seems like we give too much access to people who aren’t portraying us fairly. I’m not looking for yellow journalism but man do some perfectly timed smear articles seem to come out at inopportune times.

Also agreed that it seems like Auburn is in a unique position to partner with Apple and do some cool things. Not so sure what but it seems like a possibility.

Sell alcohol at games.

Lower ticket prices. We should aim to sell out every game even trash games. Provide incentives for students to stay for the entirity of every game. Hate to see such an empty section whether we’re winning or losing.

With alternates it is tricky. Auburn is nationally televised probably around 6 times a year. So that is our chance to show the nation the brand. Let's assume we go with alts there. We would be spending 1/6th of that precious national time wearing an alternate. Sometimes I watch Virginia Tech or UGA or LSU or Nebraska and wonder who the hell is even on the screen. It waters down their brand. Makes them look cheap, like minor league baseball teams. 

Imagine if the Yankees spent a big chunk of their season wearing alternate uniforms. It would diminish the reverence for the classics. I would love to do it, but only A day or during a cupcake game.

5 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Bama uses Thunderstruck by ACDC. Seems to work for them. Those classic rock anthems never go out of style. Last thing I want to see is Auburn running out the tunnel to Alt rock or Rap. 

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Bama uses Thunderstruck by ACDC. Seems to work for them. Those classic rock anthems never go out of style. Last thing I want to see is Auburn running out the tunnel to Alt rock or Rap. 

Bama's Thunderstruck has always been outta style homie. U of A could teach a how-to on terrible gameday experience. Dated music, fans that don't cheer, empty student section, screaming the F word during a country song.

Swag Surfin (when the stadium sways) and All I do is Win have been awesome rap songs for Auburn. 

Archived