Gus Music City Bowl Presser: 12-13-18 (All Threads Merged)

toddc

5 minutes ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

Don't put a bet on this.   I have a really bad feeling about this game.  With all the BS Gus spews, no way we are prepared for this game.

I’d never bet on Auburn in any season.  I’ve been an Auburn Fan way too long.  I really don’t understand the negativity about the bowl game.  This is a Purdue team that went 2-3 after the Ohio State game including a blow out loss to Minnesota.  Auburn got blown out by the #1 team in the country and beaten badly by probably the 2nd best team in the country.  When all the chips are down is when Gus and Auburn thrive.  Auburn has only had one practice to prepare for the bowl and Gus seemed pretty locked in yesterday.  He knows what’s up and I expect this team to be ready.  

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, alexava said:

I don’t think they miscalculated it. I think they planned on using him. They wanted to use him. He didn’t elevate to what they needed and we didn’t win a game by a comfortable enough margin to use 5 RBs until Liberty. 

They did miscalculate it. Gus said that himself. It's starting to look like you guys in the Gus camp would defend anything he does, no matter how stupid.

And you can think they planned to use him all you want. Asa's mother said specifically the plan was to redshirt him. 

You people sure defend Gus over every stupid action and have NO PROBLEM calling his mother a liar. It's unbelievable.

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Well that's fine....just care away ...but get off that horse....and idea that a mother of a player might have it wrong ?  Wow......bet that never happens.   Not calling her a liar ...but not calling our coaches liars either.  

It's a done deal and unless you want to keep beating up on Gus there is no reason to continue pushing the issue.>>JMO    The guy is gonna go somewhere and probably play a few years but he was not gonna be a factor at AU and you must know that.   So...he got the opportunity for an Auburn education which I hope he took some advantage of. 

The thing is YOU ARE CALLING HER A LIAR. You can say you aren't until the cows come home. It doesn't change the FACT that you are doing just that.

And no, I absolutely do NOT know that he would never be a factor at Auburn. That's idiotic. Let's take a look at who was ahead of him.

Miller has been here 39 years and hasn't come close to breaking starting the rotation. 1 down. 

KMart was given every opportunity to be RB1 at Auburn. He didn't cut it. He was a junior who was passed by a redshirt freshman who has health and ball control issues and a true freshman that's 5'7 170lbs. 2 down

Shaun Shivers is awesome I love me some Worm Shivers, but it's highly unlikely he ever becomes a true RB1 who gets 20+ carries a game. It's not a knock on him. He can't help that he is limited by his body.  3 down.

Boobee Whitlow has a ton of heart but has real health issues. He has been injured more than he has been healthy his time on the plains. Boobee also has a tendency to put the ball on the ground every now and then. Remind me of a RB that was prone to fumbling that kept playing for Gus? I'll wait. He reminds me of James Bostic. He runs so hard he pays more attention to his legs moving than holding on to the ball. He put the ball on the ground around 5 times this year. There have been some RBs fumble once and not get another carry. Gus hates turn overs. Boobee has a tendency to fumble at times. Period. 4 down

So, no... it wasn't inconceivable that Asa would of been RB1 at some point next season. You think just because Asa didn't break the starting rotation as a true freshman that it meant he wouldn't ever do so? That's preposterous. Tre Mason didn't do much better than Asa his freshman season. So I guess that means Tre never started either? Oh wait...

3 hours ago, auskip07 said:

The only thing telling about "not caring after its done" is i dont spend my time crying about crap that i have 0 control over and that cant be changed.   Yeah it sucks,  get over it.   When he wins a heisman at another school then ill feel like you feel

Mmmmk sure thing Skippy.

7 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

If he had that kind of talent he would've been the starter..... 

That is completely untrue Belle. Not many true freshmen start. Especially not at position like RB. Saying he wasn't talented because he didn't start year 1 is absurd.

time to wizz on the fire and call the dogs. this man just nailed a drop the mike walk off homer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

That is completely untrue Belle. Not many true freshmen start. Especially not at position like RB. Saying he wasn't talented because he didn't start year 1 is absurd.

Michael Dyer says hello....

So does Marcus Lattimore, Leonard Fournette, Todd Gurley, TJ Yeldon.....

Older article but very relevant to YOUR absurd claim.....

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/secs-recent-history-shows-that-true-freshman-running-backs-can-make-major-impact-right-away

8 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Michael Dyer says hello....

So does Marcus Lattimore, Leonard Fournette, Todd Gurley, TJ Yeldon.....

Older article but very relevant to YOUR absurd claim.....

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/secs-recent-history-shows-that-true-freshman-running-backs-can-make-major-impact-right-away

Those are some of the best backs to play college ball this generation. I mean all but Dyer were in the Heisman conversation. And had Dyer kept his head on straight he would of as well. You won't find one person putting Asa in the same category as those guys. SMH

But sure. Whatever floats your boat. 

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I’d never bet on Auburn in any season.  I’ve been an Auburn Fan way too long.  I really don’t understand the negativity about the bowl game.  This is a Purdue team that went 2-3 after the Ohio State game including a blow out loss to Minnesota.  Auburn got blown out by the #1 team in the country and beaten badly by probably the 2nd best team in the country.  When all the chips are down is when Gus and Auburn thrive.  Auburn has only had one practice to prepare for the bowl and Gus seemed pretty locked in yesterday.  He knows what’s up and I expect this team to be ready.  

The problem is the chips are down way too much with Gus and neither he nor Auburn actually thrive for any length of time.  It's sad and super negative for me to post this, I know it and I no longer care. 

Gus seemed locked in yesterday because the PR Dept prepped him for 19 days to get him ready to fire on all cylinders for his 21 minute interview where he's working like a dog to squelch the 2 weeks of negativity from "leaks & rumors" that some of his own people helped perpetuate.  These sources close the program and inside the AD are some of his people.

They baited the public and used Josh Moon/Jay Tate/BMarchello/PMarshall (a Mod on here) and others for a solid week spreading tweets, updates, and non-stop articles.  Then they switched it all around and we're (the fans) supposed to be happy the recruiting class is salvaged, all is well with the Family and Greene is now vocal and supportive &  Gus is happy and pleased with the QBs and the guys coming in and he's locked in on bowl prep?  JOY TO THE WORLD - TIS THE SEASON - HAVE A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS - CHESTNUTS ROASTING ON AN OPEN FIRE!

When was the last time Auburn had a Running Back in NYC as a Heisman candidate?

When was the last time Auburn had an offensive player drafted in the 1st round?

No one knows Asa Martin's potential at this point, it's just a shame that we bragged like hell about signing him and now the program has a black eye for the way they managed the kid.

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Those are some of the best backs to play college ball this generation. I mean all but Dyer were in the Heisman conversation. And had Dyer kept his head on straight he would of as well. You won't find one person putting Asa in the same category as those guys. SMH

But sure. Whatever floats your boat. 

You're just being an argumentative jerk now because you can't admit you were wrong. And you still can't read or understand context.

My reply was to the poster who mentioned Asa winning a Heisman at another school....and I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. I guess that was over your head.

His being a freshman had NOTHING to do with it anyway.  I might also mention Tua and Jalen as more examples of gifted freshmen who played right away. There were reasons Asa did not start or get much playing time but being a freshman was not it. 

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

When was the last time Auburn had a Running Back in NYC as a Heisman candidate?

When was the last time Auburn had an offensive player drafted in the 1st round?

No one knows Asa Martin's potential at this point, it's just a shame that we bragged like hell about signing him and now the program has a black eye for the way they managed the kid.

2013.....Tre Mason.

2010...Cam Newton

Christian McCaffrey, Rashaad Penny, Sony Michel, Ronald Jones, Kerryon Johnson, Derrius Guice, Joe Mixon, Ezekiel Elliott, Derrick Henry, Melvin Gordon, Bishop Sankey, Jeremy Hill, Carlos Hyde, Ameer Abdullah, Le'Veon Bell, Montee Ball, Eddie Lacy, Christine Michael

This is a list of RBs taken in the first two rounds of the last few drafts who did NOT start their true freshman year. I guess they should of just given up since they didn't start year 1.

Guess I'm just an argumentative jerk huh @Tigerbelle? Especially since the facts don't prove me right. But whatever

Why wouldn't you take advantage of extra practice time to get some of the younger guys more reps and get them excited to step up in the spring?       (Rhetorical question of the day)

7 hours ago, AURealist said:

So it's pretty much what we thought.   Gus' staff can't keep track of rules and players.  

War Eagle, anyway!

Other than that, and not developing QB's, or concealing plays from defenses,  he's a fantastic coach. 

It's not always the names who didn't start as freshmen, it's who those teams had ahead of those players at the time they were on the bench. 

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

“For the bowl, you’ve got to build upon what you have done,” Malzahn said. “You can’t change everything completely.

I see this and raise you the 2007 Peach Bowl, Gus.

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Christian McCaffrey, Rashaad Penny, Sony Michel, Ronald Jones, Kerryon Johnson, Derrius Guice, Joe Mixon, Ezekiel Elliott, Derrick Henry, Melvin Gordon, Bishop Sankey, Jeremy Hill, Carlos Hyde, Ameer Abdullah, Le'Veon Bell, Montee Ball, Eddie Lacy, Christine Michael

This is a list of RBs taken in the first two rounds of the last few drafts who did NOT start their true freshman year. I guess they should of just given up since they didn't start year 1.

Guess I'm just an argumentative jerk huh @Tigerbelle? Especially since the facts don't prove me right. But whatever

You don't even know what you're arguing about so I will remind you......I said if Asa was Heisman material he would've been a starter as a sarcastic reply to another sarcastic post.  You said he was a freshman and that's why he didn't start, etc. I proved you wrong with my post and now you are determined to keep going just to emphasize your cluelessness. 

3 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

It's not always the names who didn't start as freshmen, it's who those teams had ahead of those players at the time they were on the bench. 

That wasn't the conversation. The conversation was about RBs who didn't start year 1. 

Let's say you do account for that. Who would be removed? Guice and Michel and maybe Lacy and Henry? That's still a pretty big list from the top 2 rounds... Some being some of the best RBs in the NFL right now (Bell and Gordon)

7 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I would love for Auburn to go 15-0 and while excepting the crystal ball Gus utters some politically incorrect phase that leaves Auburn no other choice but to fire him.  The man needs to go.

Well if he's accepting a crystal ball then I'd seriously question what Auburn has won considering that hasn't been the national title trophy for the last four years.

11 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

That wasn't even the point. He claimed that it was being a freshman that kept Asa from being a starter....so....

12 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

You don't even know what you're arguing about so I will remind you......I said if Asa was Heisman material he would've been a starter as a sarcastic reply to another sarcastic post.  You said he was a freshman and that's why he didn't start, etc. I proved you wrong with my post and now you are determined to keep going just to emphasize your cluelessness. 

Really? That's interesting. Because not a single one of the names you listed won the Heisman. Yet I'm the one who is clueless. LoL wow

And each of the ones I listed went in the first 2 rounds of the draft. You don't get drafted that high unless you are EXTREMELY talented... 

Well, I for one can’t wait for Bo Nix to get here and I am curious to see what Dillingham can do with him.  Only a few more weeks!

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Really? That's interesting. Because not a single one of the names you listed won the Heisman. Yet I'm the one who is clueless. LoL wow

Who said they did? The point was that all of them had that kind of talent so they didn't sit on the bench as freshmen. 

I'm putting you on ignore. You offer nothing to this board but pettiness at this point and it's tiresome. 

Archived