Gus Music City Bowl Presser: 12-13-18 (All Threads Merged)

toddc

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Gus truly feels like this about our current QB situation he has put us in then no wonder our rivals own him like they do. By all means, let the curb stomping continue. Wow. 

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Gus Malzahn not surprised by fans’ anger: ‘I get that and understand that’

Updated 11:23 AM; Posted 11:23 AM

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn walks the field before an NCAA college football game against Alabama State, Saturday, Sept. 8, 2018, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Vasha Hunt) AP (Vasha Hunt)

0 shares

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

SBlum@al.com

Go to any message board, search his name on Twitter, or just start up a friendly conversation within these city limits — it’s not likely that you’ll see many fans of Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn. In his own words, gets it and understands it.

Auburn finished the season at 7-5, well below expectations, with blowout losses and other embarrassing headlines dominating a difficult season.

“I’ve been here I guess nine years,” Malzahn said on Thursday night, in his first public comments in 19 days. I’ve been here when we’ve won championships and I’ve been here when we’ve had tough seasons, and our fans expect to win championships and I do too.

“But when you go 7-5, and there were times too we weren’t as disciplined as we’ve been in the past. I think that has something to do with the frustration too. I get that and understand that. That’s what motivates me to get this thing turned around.”

Malzahn hinted that he thought there was inaccurate reporting from outlets suggesting that high-powered team boosters wanted him fired. But he added that “as a head coach, you take care and you control the things you can control.”

He’s basically bet the house on having a good season next year — promising at every available opportunity that he will right the ship next season. It’s worth noting he made similar statements after a 4-2 start this season, only to see his team go 3-3 down the stretch and play in the Music City Bowl.

“I think the bottom line is when you go 7-5 and you have aspirations of winning a championship, which we did, and go 7-5, no one is going to be happy,” Malzahn said. “I’m not happy. I know our fans aren’t. But I will tell you this, we’ve got really a lot to look forward to next year.”

Auburn still has a game left this season, when it faces Purdue on Dec. 28 in Nashville. But largely, the story of this season is written. A win might salvage what has been a bitter and rumor-filled 20 days since the regular season ended, but it won’t by any means make this year a success.

Malzahn didn’t say otherwise. While he shot down many of the reports of a tumultuous three weeks, there was no escaping the reality of an unsuccessful season, and he didn’t try to do that.

“I’m very excited," Malzahn said. "I love Auburn. I love being here. I’ve been here a long time. I know what it takes and I’m really just excited about moving forward.”

Doable, when you...

1. Beat your "Tennessees."

2. Treat EVERY GAME as if it's your own NC week after week.

3. Get the fanbase rejazzed with "big mo" ("momentum") by letting the results show how effective your practices, accountability, and overall synchronicity are working.

"Preach at all times. Use words only when necessary." (St. Francis of Assisi)

"What you're DOING speaks so loud I can't hear what you're saying."

21 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Odd thing is not this most recent episode of dirtbag writers libeling Auburn, its why the school didn't immediately and sternly refute the lies and (sadly) how many posters on this board ran with Josh Moon et al. Gus Malzahn's contract is a public record - this is very easy to confirm or refute. 

The death of hope....not in a program or players or even a fanbase, but in the leadership that affects them all...will do that for you. With all humility, some have read and believed enough John Maxwell to understand why it matters as much as it does.

2 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Doable, when you...

1. Beat your "Tennessees."

2. Treat EVERY GAME as if it's your own NC week after week.

3. Get the fanbase rejazzed with "big mo" ("momentum") by letting the results show how effective your practices, accountability, and overall synchronicity are working.

"Preach at all times. Use words only when necessary." (St. Francis of Assisi)

"What you're DOING speaks so loud I can't hear what you're saying."

Nice quote from St. Francis! I hadn't heard that one.

1 minute ago, AUbritt said:

Nice quote from St. Francis! I hadn't heard that one.

It's on my Kia's bumper sticker!! 🤗

38 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

Why wouldn't you take advantage of extra practice time to get some of the younger guys more reps and get them excited to step up in the spring?       (Rhetorical question of the day)

Because it is Gus and nothing will change and nothing will improve. Bowl Games and bowl practice is a waste of time cause nothing will improve or change. Thread on it a couple weeks ago.

5 hours ago, keesler said:

Here's a brilliant idea - if your OC can't get the job done and you see it every week than make a change.  Take the damn clipboard away from Chip and do it yourself rather that sit back and watch the thing go down in flames.

i.e. Lincoln Riley canning his DC mid-season.

😃  Made a good point but bad example....after the guy was fired the Sooners gave up more than 40 points in four of their last five games....well, one was in the 50s.  So turned out it was not about  the DC........the problem was the Oklahoma defensive players......    Might have been the same situation at AU...:dunno:

4 hours ago, kd4au said:

It's always next year and the future looks bright, but where are the results. We need results Gus not 7-5.

He said the same thing this time last year. Blah.

Gus has nothing to lose, and everything to gain, by betting the house on next season:

• If was fired after this season, his next job and forever ceiling would be Arkansas.
  • If he's fired after next season, his next job and forever ceiling will be Arkansas.
  • If he turns AU around and saves his job next season,  he's regained his self respect and stoked his ego, and remains head coach of an upper echelon D1 football school.

And no matter what, he will still have more money than he'll ever need.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Dude wasn’t going to accept less money to stay here. I was a fool to even think that would happen lol. 

I would have fell out of my chair in laughter if someone asked me to take less money on a signed contract to stay on the job. We knew better...we all knew better. 

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

This is neither an admission nor a denial. This is an intentionally vague sidestep. 

And this...

...is bullsh**. He didn't have to say this. 

WTF does that even mean tbh

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

WTF does that even mean tbh

He's pretending like that one non-play counts as "playing". And that him only playing in one garbage game after that counts as being part of the game plan. Basically saying they didn't actually do anything wrong.

2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

If he had that kind of talent he would've been the starter..... 

Kerryon didn't start as a Freshman. 

Gus can't evaluate talent or utilize talent correctly belle. Pettway didn't start until Kerryon went down with an injury. For whatever reason, Gus likes to ride one RB into the ground and only uses other RB's sparingly. It's tough to get on the field when you're fighting for scraps. That's why I think it was stupid by our staff to waste Asa's year of eligibility when they weren't going to really use him much anyway.

“But when you go 7-5, and there were times too we weren’t as disciplined as we’ve been in the past. I think that has something to do with the frustration too..."

Lack of discipline?  What does this even mean? 

And people seriously thought Sexton would just roll over for less money.  Or more correctly allow Gus to roll over.  Keep in mind he is representing all the “splash hires” that would replace Gus.  Remember the Cam slander when Chizik was not represented by Sexton.  It’s really bad not to be coached by one of the Sexton “family” members.  

9 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

This is a unique take, I’ll give you that.

It is meant to show my fandom for Auburn, but my desire for Gus to go.  Think about what coaches would line up to replace Gus coming off of a NC and we could fire Gus for cause, so no buy out.  The perfect solution.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well if he's accepting a crystal ball then I'd seriously question what Auburn has won considering that hasn't been the national title trophy for the last four years.

Wow, you got me on that one.  Good job

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I’d never bet on Auburn in any season.  I’ve been an Auburn Fan way too long.  I really don’t understand the negativity about the bowl game.  This is a Purdue team that went 2-3 after the Ohio State game including a blow out loss to Minnesota.  Auburn got blown out by the #1 team in the country and beaten badly by probably the 2nd best team in the country.  When all the chips are down is when Gus and Auburn thrive.  Auburn has only had one practice to prepare for the bowl and Gus seemed pretty locked in yesterday.  He knows what’s up and I expect this team to be ready.  

One word:  Tennessee

Archived