Gus Music City Bowl Presser: 12-13-18 (All Threads Merged)

toddc

Gus Malzahn admits error counting Asa Martin’s participation, offers different details

Updated Dec 13, 9:24 PM; Posted Dec 13, 7:38 PM

Asa Martin is tackled by Smoke Monday during scrimmage Thursday. Auburn football scrimmage on Thursday, Aug. 9, 2018 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics (Todd Van Emst/Auburn Athletics)

0 shares

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

SBlum@al.com

Auburn’s coaches botched Asa Martin’s redshirt by playing him in a fifth game against Mississippi State on Oct. 6. At least one coach told members of his family after that game that they could still redshirt the freshman when it wasn’t possible.

During Gus Malzahn’s first press conference in 19 days, the Auburn head coach acknowledged there was a mistake in counting the number of games Martin played in — but downplayed its importance and disputed crucial details of Martin’s mother, Sharay Harris', account.

Harris said issues started when she went to then-offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey and asked if they could preserve his redshirt and not play him against Mississippi State. He ended up playing in that game, burning his redshirt, while she claimed an assistant coach made it clear after the game he didn’t know that was the case.

The confusion originated from Auburn not counting his participation in a Sept. 22 game against Arkansas — a mistake that team spokesman acknowledged on Dec. 6.

Martin announced he was transferring from the program on Saturday, two days after that original report.

Malzahn offered a different timeline than Harris.

“So it was a new rule this year with the four games,” Malzahn said, referring to the NCAA’s redshirt rule, allowing athletes to play in four games without losing eligibility. “Earlier in the year, there was a coach that thought it was three, and one of them thought it was four. But after game six, everybody knew that he was playing.”

Malzahn’s explanation here contradicts what Harris told AL.com about the timeline of her communication with the coaches. Game six was that Mississippi State game, and Harris said that the mistake was made after that game. Had it been before the MSU game, Auburn still would have been able to salvage the redshirt.

“Yeah, it was a mistake from the standpoint that one thought it was three, one thought it was four,” Malzahn said. “But that was about game five, and then of course, game six, everybody was on the same page.”

Again, this contradicted what Harris said. Her explanation was that one coach thought he played in four games, when he played in five games. Malzahn’s explanation basically pushes the mistake up one week, which would rid Auburn of having responsibility in mistakenly burning a player’s eligibility.

While Harris offered details and a specific timeline of the conversation, Malzhan did not.

“I think he played in six games,” Malzahn said. “It wasn’t like he just stopped playing you then.”

The reality is Auburn didn’t play him from Oct. 6 until Nov. 17, or exactly six weeks. The only reason he did play in that Nov. 17 game — at the tail end of a 53-0 blowout — was because his redshirt was already burned. Malzahn basically did stop playing Martin, contradictory to his comments on Thursday.

Malzahn did add that he was going to play “the best people," and that he was rooting for Martin, saying he was a “wonderful young man.”

When asked if he thought the mistake led to Martin’s redshirt being burned, Malzahn was clear in his answer, but lacking in his explanation.

“No," Malzahn said. "No. Not at all. Not at all.”

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus kind of admits it, and calls Asa's mother a liar while doing so.

Malzahn’s explanation basically pushes the mistake up one week, which would rid Auburn of having responsibility in mistakenly burning a player’s eligibility.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

This is what people don't understand. The coaches almost always maintain plausible deniability. They don't do the dirty work. That's what they have handlers and fixers for.

Of course Bob Stoops didn't talk to Auburn. But somebody representing him might have. 

Gus wants to win a natty. Best place to do this, for him, is to be at AU. Gus would have done just about anything in reason to keep his job at AU. Did he agree to a reduced buyout? I think so. Will there be a paper trail of this? Doubt it. As this thing keep rolling on both sides just agreed to stop and save face. Both sides. 

Why Gus Malzahn decided to once again take over play-calling for Auburn

Updated Dec 13, 8:02 PM; Posted Dec 13, 8:02 PM

Gus Malzahn decided to take over play-calling duties for Auburn moving forward following the departure of former offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey. ((Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images))

23 shares

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

tgreen@al.com

Nearly two years ago, Gus Malzahn sat at a table inside Auburn Arena as he introduced Chip Lindsey as the Tigers’ new offensive coordinator and announced that he would be stepping away from play-calling for good.

“My old offensive clipboard, I’m retiring it,” Malzahn said Jan. 21, 2017. “… I retired it officially, so that kind of tells you where I’m at.”

Fast forward to this week, and Malzahn has decided to dust off that clipboard and get back to his roots. When Malzahn announced the hiring of new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Kenny Dillingham late Sunday night, perhaps the biggest piece of news in Auburn’s press release came in the second paragraph, where it stated clearly that “moving forward, Malzahn will return to offensive playcalling duties for Auburn.”

It will be the first time since early in the 2016 season that Malzahn will have full control of his offense. That season, after the Tigers got off to a terrible start offensively, he handed over the keys to then-offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee.

That hiatus is now over, beginning with Auburn’s upcoming appearance in the Music City Bowl on Dec. 28 against Purdue in Nashville, Tenn.

“Really, that's probably my true comfort zone,” Malzahn said Thursday. “I'm really looking forward not just to the bowl game but going into next year. We've got a lot of our guys back. We've got a chance to be really good on offense. So, real excited about that. That's something that I'm really looking forward to.”

Malzahn: "My contract has not changed one bit"

Gus Malzahn shot down reports that his contract was renegotiated in recent weeks.

Malzahn admitted Thursday that when he introduced Lindsey as offensive coordinator two years ago, he believed at the time that it was “very accurate” that he would be retiring his playsheet and taking a step back as a head coach. Circumstances change, however, and after a disappointing 2018 season offensively, Malzahn felt in his heart that he needed to get back to what made him so successful as a coach and what facilitated his rise through the coaching ranks.

“The demands of this job each year gets more challenging, but sometimes as a coach you have to evaluate where you are at,” Malzahn said. “Sometimes things change, and they have, so I just evaluated where we are at and it is best for us if I move forward calling plays. I love to do that. That is really who I am at my core.”

Malzahn first made a name for himself as a playcaller in Arkansas as a high school coach at Hughes, Shiloh Christian and Springdale, where his offensive scheme helped him reach the pinnacle of football in the state. He parlayed that into a college gig, serving as offensive coordinator at Arkansas in 2006 before leaving for the same position at Tulsa in 2007 and 2008.

While at Tulsa, Malzahn helped produce the nation’s most prolific offense for two seasons. He then left for Auburn to become offensive coordinator under Gene Chizik, helping the Tigers win a national championship in 2010 with Heisman winner Cam Newton. That year, Auburn had the nation’s No. 7 scoring offense and No. 5 rushing attack.

Following a one-year sting as head coach at Arkansas State in 2012, Malzahn returned to Auburn as head coach. He was the Tigers’ primary play-caller during his first three seasons, helping the program to an SEC title and leading the nation in rushing in 2013, then following it with the No. 27 scoring offense in 2014. The offense took a step back in 2015 due to struggles at quarterback, which again hindered success in 2016, ultimately leading to Malzahn ceding control to Lashlee just a few games into that campaign. At the time, Malzahn said it was “not realistic” to be both a head coach and play-caller, adding that “sometimes reality hits you.”

“That is really how I got to this point,” Malzahn said of calling plays. “It has been a process, I think, too, as a head coach you learn, and you grow. I think it is fair to say that has happened to me in both areas, but I am very confident right now that this is the right thing to do. I expect to be doing this thing for a long time like this, so I am really looking forward to it.”

Malzahn’s decision to assume playcalling played into his decision to hire Dillingham, who did not call plays at Memphis under Mike Norvell, leading Malzahn to say it was “the perfect fit” from that standpoint. Now, following a season in which Auburn’s offense hit several new statistical lows, Malzahn expects to see a bounceback performance in 2019 while he calls the plays.

"I expect us to be quite a bit better,” Malzahn said. “We'll operate like we have in the past when I called the plays, everything as far as that goes with it."

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

So if you are gonna half way admit it, just admit it. Don't call players parents liars. That's what he did. This is just another thing I'd hold against Auburn if I was the parent of a major D1 talent. If Auburn screws up and botches my son's redshirt not only will they only half way admit it, but they would call me a liar if I had the audacity to call them out on it... 

SMH at some point, Gus needs to put the shovel down. He keeps digging his hole deeper and deeper.

8 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

If Gus would stop “crapping the bed” on the field then would be right with these guys. We have proven that we can recruit. We just have to win and develop talent in order to sell like the big boys. Gus continues to get in his own way

Here is the thing on recruiting. On paper it awesome. But under Gus recruiting lacks what seems to be Gus's achilles heel, consistency. You have to recruit and manage your roster with consistency. Can't keep having these holes show up year after you and be like a dog chasing his tail. Go thin at LBers, then DB's, then S, then RB's, then OL's, then OL's, now back to LBers, then OL's again. Gus has to start listening to his people that he has hired. Not just one or two. It's isn't working. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Old news....

It's not old news when they finally respond to the situation. They had been silent. This is the first they have said about it, and only halfway take the blame. He tries his best to shift the blame and all but calls the players mother a liar. 

11 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Just because he didn't sign it doesn't mean it wasn't discussed.  

I have a hard time understanding why anyone continues to believe Gus about anything. He lies constantly. He reinvents facts. What he said by the way was no one told him he “had” to change his contract not that they didn’t say they didn’t discuss it would be best too. If you have any doubt that what was reported was not true then there is absolutely no help for you. Just go back and put your O&B glasses back on and put your head back in the sand.

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus wants to win a natty. Best place to do this, for him, is to be at AU. Gus would have done just about anything in reason to keep his job at AU. Did he agree to a reduced buyout? I think so. Will there be a paper trail of this? Doubt it. As this thing keep rolling on both sides just agreed to stop and save face. Both sides. 

I agree. The only thing that will answer this is for someone to file a FOI request and publish it after they get it 

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Also, our insiders take a huge L. 

No they don't. What is said in public is not always reality, especially with Gus.

Gus Malzahn thanks departed OC Chip Lindsey, promises improved offense

Updated Dec 13, 7:56 PM; Posted Dec 13, 7:54 PM

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn and offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey walk the field at Mercedes Benz Stadium Friday, Dec. 1, 2017, in Atlanta, Ga.

0 shares

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

SBlum@al.com

Gus Malzahn started and ended with two comments about departed offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey. They had two different messages — one mentioned him by name, and one did not.

“I’d really like to start out is thanking Chip Lindsey for his time here at Auburn,” Malzahn said. “Chip helped us win an SEC West championship. He’s a very good coach, a great person, great family. We wish him nothing but the best at Kansas.”

And at the end of his 21-minute press conference, when asked if he’ll operate the offense differently next season, Malzahn was bold and confident in response.

“I expect us to be quite a bit better,” he said.

Lindsey was reported to be leaving Auburn on Dec. 3, and was officially announced as Kansas' offensive coordinator on Dec. 4. At the time, Auburn did not put out an official statement about his departure.

Malzahn did announce that he would be calling the plays on offense for the bowl game and the foreseeable future in Auburn’s press release about the hire of new OC Kenny Dillingham. He expanded on that plan during Thursday’s press conference.

He previously had delegated play calling duties to Lindsey during his two seasons with the Tigers.

Auburn (7-5) ranked No. 94 in total offense this season, and fourth-to-last in the SEC. They averaged 5.47 yards per play on offense, and had 38 offensive touchdowns.

Malzahn was kind in his departing words to LIndsey, but was definitely excited about the changes and improvement he could bring to Auburn’s stagnant offense.

And in Lawrence, Kansas, they’re excited to have its new OC, with Les Miles telling the Kansas City Star that it’s a great day when you can add Chip Lindsey.

Both schools are moving forward, and Malzahn will go back to his past as he refurbishes an old role going forward.

“We’ll operate like we have in the past when I called the plays," Malzahn said, "everything as far as that goes with it.”

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I agree. The only thing that will answer this is for someone to file a FOI request and publish it after they get it 

FTR AU has gotten many FOI request over the years they didn't answer. I would not expect anything different here.

Just now, ellitor said:

FTR AU has gotten many FOI request over the years they didn't answer. I would not expect anything different here.

They aren't required to respond to them? The United States government HAS to respond to FOI requests. Exactly how can Auburn get away with ignoring them?

Gus Malzahn: ‘My contract has not changed one bit’

Updated Dec 13, 7:10 PM; Posted Dec 13, 6:03 PM

Gus Malzahn said no changes have been made to his contract. (Kevin C. Cox)

537 shares

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

tgreen@al.com

Gus Malzahn wanted to clear the air.

Speaking to the media for the first time in 19 days, since his postgame press conference during the Iron Bowl, Malzahn wanted to make something clear about his contract to be Auburn’s coach in wake of reports that he was being forced to renegotiate his new seven-year, $49 million deal.

“A couple things I wanted to clear up that are out there,” Malzahn said. “First of all, my contract has not changed one bit. I was never told I had to change my contract to keep my job. I have the support of our athletic director and president. There’s nobody hamstringing me from doing our job."

The reports surfaced following Auburn’s regular-season finale loss to top-ranked Alabama in the Iron Bowl, which was the Tigers' most lopsided loss of the Malzahn era and dropped the team to 7-5 on the year. The disappointing season came on the heels of an SEC West title in 2017, when Auburn knocked off two top-ranked teams -- Georgia and Alabama -- in a span of three weeks to clinch the division. Although the Tigers lost the SEC Championship Game to Georgia and then dropped their Peach Bowl appearance against undefeated UCF, the team headed into 2018 with sky-high expectations.

With the Tigers returning much of their defense and starting quarterback Jarrett Stidham, Auburn was expected to again vie for an SEC West crown, widely viewed as Alabama’s top competition in the division, and be in the mix for the College Football Playoff. Those plans were derailed early on, with Auburn losing on a last-second field goal against LSU in Week 3, then dropping games against Mississippi State and Tennessee before falling to rivals Georgia and Alabama.

Prior to the Georgia loss, Malzahn got a vote of confidence from athletic director Allen Greene, who said Malzahn would be the Tigers' coach for the long run, and Auburn president Steven Leath echoed those sentiments a couple weeks later ahead of the Iron Bowl.

Although Auburn’s administration was oddly silent about those reports in recent weeks, Greene on Monday published an open letter to fans reiterating his support for Malzahn.

“They’re both on the same page for helping us moving forward,” Malzahn said of Greene and Leath.

Still, it was an underwhelming season for Malzahn, who is the fifth-highest paid coach in the country this season and whose contract featured a $32 million buyout as of this month. His buyout also ranks fifth among college head coaches. Those shortcomings resulted in unrest among Auburn fans, and reports surfaced in recent weeks that Malzahn was asked by administrators and boosters to renegotiate his contract and lessen the buyout, all of which he categorically denied on Thursday.

“I think the bottom line is when you go 7-5 and you have aspirations of winning a championship, which we did, and go 7-5, no one is going to be happy,” Malzahn said. “I’m not happy. I know our fans aren’t. But I will tell you this, we’ve got really a lot to look forward to next year. We’ve got the majority of our team coming back. Recruiting is going really good. Not just good but really good. And I think that’s a tribute to our coaches. It’s a tribute to the type of people we’re recruiting, their families and everything that goes with that. So the guys that we’ve got coming back with the class we’re about to sign, I’m very excited. I love Auburn. I love being here. I’ve been here a long time. I know what it takes and I’m really just excited about moving forward.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

They aren't required to respond to them? The United States government HAS to respond to FOI requests. Exactly how can Auburn get away with ignoring them?

Many schools get them yearly from reporters & don't respond. Nothing exclusive to AU.

It's funny. A few media types say one thing, and they're all evil, libelous, anti-Auburn agents of chaos. Gus gets up there and says "Nuh uh" and just like that, you all have your proof? Like, y'all really are comfortable that it was all just made up out of thin air? That the REC can and would just totally fabricate a lie- this lie- and then get folks with their livelihoods and reputations on the line to propagate it? 

I mean, it wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world, I guess. As an Auburn fan, I of all people know that this business is WEIRD. But I don't think that anyone's just inventing this story out of mid-air. Gus has done a fine job of shooting himself and this program in the foot on Saturdays. The bogeyman that many of you think causes all our problems already has all the ammo he needs. They're already kicking our asses in recruiting and they have been for 10 years. They're already kicking our asses on the field and have been for 10 years, except for a few very notable exceptions. 

Like, is that what the REC is doing? Sitting in smoky back rooms concocting really odd stories about a 7-5 coach's contract and then getting Auburn insiders and political journalists to run with it? When most of the Auburn PTB and fan base already want him fired? I'm not buying it, y'all. 

A couple things I wanted to clear up that are out there, Malzahn said. “First of all, my contract has not changed one bit. I was never told I had to change my contract to keep my job. I have the support of our athletic director and president. There’s nobody hamstringing me from doing our job."

So so either Bob Stoops, Gus Malzone, Allen Greene and others are complete pathological liars, or Josh Moon and Marcelo are both full of crap!

16 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Or nothing at all happened contract-wise, AU was never looking to buy him out, and somebody thought some rumors would either move AU toward a coaching change or punish the PTB for not dumping Gus.  

3 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

A couple things I wanted to clear up that are out there, Malzahn said. “First of all, my contract has not changed one bit. I was never told I had to change my contract to keep my job. I have the support of our athletic director and president. There’s nobody hamstringing me from doing our job."

So so either Bob Stoops, Gus Malzone, Allen Greene and others are complete pathological liars, or Josh Moon and Marcelo are both full of crap!

All are. Every one of them. That statement is good and all but it's just that. A statement. 

4 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Or nothing at all happened contract-wise, AU was never looking to buy him out, and somebody thought some rumors would either move AU toward a coaching change or punish the PTB for not dumping Gus.  

So you don't think that AU and Gus talked about Gus's contract and buying Gus out of the contract? That "someone" made all of this up? How do you punish the PTB for this by making such things up? You really believe this? 

3 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Stoops - coaches all the time deny talking to schools and/or deny they will leave their current job only to be introduced at another job the next day. Perhaps you forgot Tommy "Pine Box" Tuberville or Nick "how many times do you need me to tell you I won't be the coach at Alabama" Saban? Also just because HE didn't speak to anyone from Auburn doesn't mean his people didn't. 

Gus - said what he had to say since the early signing period is almost here. Plus Gus has ALWAYS been truthful and hasn't ever lied about things. Ever. /Sarcasm

Greene - ADs don't down their coaches. They "FULLY" support their coach until they fire him. They "FULLY" support their coach while looking for another. 

Guess you are new to the game?

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Stoops - coaches all the time deny talking to schools and/or deny they will leave their current job only to be introduced at another job the next day. Perhaps you forgot Tommy "Pine Box" Tuberville or Nick "how many times do you need me to tell you I won't be the coach at Alabama" Saban? Also just because HE didn't speak to anyone from Auburn doesn't mean his people didn't. 

Gus - said what he had to say since the early signing period is almost here. Plus Gus has ALWAYS been truthful and hasn't ever lied about things. Ever. /Sarcasm

Greene - ADs don't down their coaches. They "FULLY" support their coach until they fire him. They "FULLY" support their coach while looking for another. 

Guess you are new to the game?

Guess you are new to thinking there’s a bunch of liars out there, but Josh Moon and Marcelo are 100% truthful in all things. All information, from all sources, (if they even have sources), are all legitimate and 100% truthful.

What a joke. You keep believing it though.

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

Guess you are new to thinking there’s a bunch of liars out there, but Josh Moon and Marcelo are 100% truthful in all things. All information, from all sources, (if they even have sources), are all legitimate and 100% truthful.

What a joke. You keep believing it though.

I don't know what to believe. And I'm ok with that. 

But to pretend what I said isn't 100% factual means you are lying to yourself, but carry on

Archived