Gus Music City Bowl Presser: 12-13-18 (All Threads Merged)

toddc

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Many schools get them yearly from reporters & don't respond. Nothing exclusive to AU.

Doesn't matter who does it. That doesn't answer my question. If the United States government HAS to respond to FOI requests, how do schools get away with not responding? 

Guess this is why? 

Exemption 4: Trade secrets or commercial or financial information that is confidential or privileged.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

So you don't think that AU and Gus talked about Gus's contract and buying Gus out of the contract? That "someone" made all of this up? How do you punish the PTB for this by making such things up? You really believe this? 

I believe there were no contract changes discussed behind closed doors. 

I have no idea where the rumors came from.  Whoever started them either wanted a change at head coach or to hurt Auburn.  When someone offers proof something happened, I'll admit I was wrong.  Until then, I'll marvel at the gullibility of half our fan base.

This is neither an admission nor a denial. This is an intentionally vague sidestep. 

And this...

“I think he played in six games,” Malzahn said. “It wasn’t like he just stopped playing you then.”

...is bullsh**. He didn't have to say this. 

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't know what to believe. And I'm ok with that. 

But to pretend what I said isn't 100% factual means you are lying to yourself, but carry on

Not trying to have a debate with you or anything like that. For the past several weeks there were at least a couple of us on here continually, repeatedly, trying to point out the inconsistencies with all these rumors.

I won’t go back and rehash them all, but it was one story after the other that didn’t lineup or make sense. Now we have Gus making statement... so to defend the rumors people have to say oh Gus and Greene are lying to save face?

Again, it just didn’t make sense. That, and the people I talk to said they know nothing of it and it’s complete nonsense. So I guess, people are going to believe what they want to believe, regardless what the facts are telling you.

Look at it this way.  The 4* and 5* players that Bammer and UGA don’t take are going to want to play against them.  We are not only physically located right between them we are the only team other than UT that plays them both every year and the only team that has beat them both in the last 2 years.  If Gus gets it back together and all this negativity goes away I think we will be in a good position to recruit an even more talented roster.  But Gus has to get it together.  

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I believe there were no contract changes discussed behind closed doors. 

I have no idea where the rumors came from.  Whoever started them either wanted a change at head coach or to hurt Auburn.  When someone offers proof something happened, I'll admit I was wrong.  Until then, I'll marvel at the gullibility of half our fan base.

So the AD and the AU Pres had Gus's back the whole time? 

Seems to me that Malzahn and Lindsay didn't see eye. I already know what the comments will be but bear with me. I think our offensive woes were a combination of things, one of those being a case of "too many cooks in the kitchen".

I think you had two offensive minds who were not always on the same page and regardless of where you stand with either coach, it that is not a recipe for success. Chip very could find success under a defensive minded HC or as an HC himself, at the end of the day however, the boss has the final say. For all we know, Gus could've had the offense rolling this year had it not been for Chip's hard-headedness hamstringing it.... We just don't know.

I'm probably reading into it too much, but Gus didn't have to craft a warm and fuzzy farewell to Chip Lindsay if he wasn't trying to save face. 

12 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

These "reporters" need to do their homework. If they didn't, they should all be fired.

No such thing anymore. They put every rumor out there for clicks. The last 3 weeks has been the most embarrassed I've ever been to be an Auburn fan. Josh Moon put out a BS tweet and a social media sh*t storm ensued. Embarrassing. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

So the AD and the AU Pres had Gus's back the whole time? 

I believe there were no contract changes discussed behind closed doors which, of course, resulted in no changes to the contract.  

I don't see it as a having someone's back situation. They had a meeting.  They probably discussed there being some pressure for Gus to aggregate his fecal matter.  There's no evidence to support anything more.  Unless you have actual evidence you'd like to share with the group.

8 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

regardless what the facts are telling you.

So it's facts now, and it was lies when it was reported by the same place earlier? 

Like I said, I don't know what to believe. And that's ok. I don't have to KNOW what's  going on. But you don't  KNOW either. But to pretend that there was no fire with all the smoke makes no sense. 

Also pretending that coaches never deny having contact with institutions, to deny that Gus has never been openly dishonest, and that ADs never "support" their coach while looking for another means you haven't paid attention 

Regardless of whomever or whatever is right or wrong, maybe we should all try to move-on, support our school, hope to beat Purdue by at least 20 some points and then have a good season next year!

If we don’t have a good season next year, I think we all know what the end result will likely be. So from here, let’s just press on, and support Auburn!

16 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Look at it this way.  The 4* and 5* players that Bammer and UGA don’t take are going to want to play against them.  We are not only physically located right between them we are the only team other than UT that plays them both every year and the only team that has beat them both in the last 2 years.  If Gus gets it back together and all this negativity goes away I think we will be in a good position to recruit an even more talented roster.  But Gus has to get it together.  

And he has to learn to develop and retain them. 

Also he has to deal with the fact that teams we play every single season are right now top 4 in recruiting. 

Screenshot_20181214-084543.png

2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Regardless of whomever or whatever is right or wrong, maybe we should all try to move-on, support our school, hope to beat Purdue by at least 20 some points and then have a good season next year!

If we don’t have a good season next year, I think we all know what the end result will likely be. So from here, let’s just press on, and support Auburn!

This we agree on! WDE

7 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Exactly. We're about to sign the best QB and LB in the nation. Perhaps all the whining should stop for a while so we can allow the staff to finish their jobs. Lord knows the fanbase hasn't made it easy on them.

@Auburn Kev

I'd sure like to know what you think the following means if you don't think it is him calling her a liar.

1. but downplayed its importance and disputed crucial details of Martin’s mother, Sharay Harris', account.

2. Malzahn offered a different timeline than Harris.

3. Malzahn’s explanation here contradicts what Harris told AL.com about the timeline of her communication with the coaches.

4. Again, this contradicted what Harris said. Her explanation was that one coach thought he played in four games, when he played in five games.

5. Malzahn’s explanation basically pushes the mistake up one week, which would rid Auburn of having responsibility in mistakenly burning a player’s eligibility.

6. When asked if he thought the mistake led to Martin’s redshirt being burned, Malzahn was clear in his answer, but lacking in his explanation.

“No," Malzahn said. "No. Not at all. Not at all.”

So Kev there are 6 examples of him calling her a liar. I'd sure like to know how it's not... But facepalm away. Some people don't like it when facts don't support their stance. Looks pretty clear that what that facepalm is about.

7 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Perhaps all the whining should stop for a while so we can allow the staff to finish their jobs. Lord knows the fanbase hasn't made it easy on them.

The staff can do their job whether or not fans are complaining. If we lose the bowl game it's going to get worse. It's funny you think that fans complaining stops them from doing anything.

The fanbase hasn't hindered them from "doing their jobs" in the slightest. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Malzahn’s explanation basically pushes the mistake up one week, which would rid Auburn of having responsibility in mistakenly burning a player’s eligibility.

In what way does that absolve Auburn? This isn’t very clear to me. 

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

The staff can do their job whether or not fans are complaining. If we lose the bowl game it's going to get worse. It's funny you think that fans complaining stops them from doing anything.

The fanbase hasn't hindered them from "doing their jobs" in the slightest. 

They can still recruit. However, there were plenty of articles that came out stating Gus was having to reassure parents that he would be here in 2019. The social media smoke was something he was having to address. The AU admin was steadfast and said Gus would be here in 2019. But Gus was still having to answer questions from recruits and parents about his job security. That came from social media/internet smoke.

22 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

And he has to learn to develop and retain them. 

Also he has to deal with the fact that teams we play every single season are right now top 4 in recruiting. 

Screenshot_20181214-084543.png

Hey look how good our rivals are recruiting 😁.  Honestly Texas A&M scares me the most on that list.  They are a sleeping giant with tons of money in a state that is loaded with talent.  

I like the confidence. False or otherwise. I don't know why but I kinda of have a feeling that the offense will be notably better next year. Especially if we can get decent quarterback and offensive line play

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Here is the thing on recruiting. On paper it awesome. But under Gus recruiting lacks what seems to be Gus's achilles heel, consistency. You have to recruit and manage your roster with consistency. Can't keep having these holes show up year after you and be like a dog chasing his tail. Go thin at LBers, then DB's, then S, then RB's, then OL's, then OL's, now back to LBers, then OL's again. Gus has to start listening to his people that he has hired. Not just one or two. It's isn't working. 

Love this!!! Gus is to interested in signing the best available instead of signing the players he needs and developing them. Like you said it looks great on paper but there are lots of holes. 

18 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Kev there are 6 examples of him calling her a liar. I'd sure like to know how it's not... But facepalm away. Some people don't like it when facts don't support their stance. Looks pretty clear that what that facepalm is about.

Embrace tbe face palms bro.  For full disclosure I facepalm people who complain about facepalms. It’s what bros do. 

4 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

They can still recruit. However, there were plenty of articles that came out stating Gus was having to reassure parents that he would be here in 2019. The social media smoke was something he was having to address. The AU admin was steadfast and said Gus would be here in 2019. But Gus was still having to answer questions from recruits and parents about his job security. That came from social media/internet smoke.

No, that came from losing 5 games, including one to UT and another by 31 to our main rival. That came from our offensive genius head coach fielding the 71st-ranked scoring offense in the country in his 6th season and blowing a lead against Ed Orgeron for a 2nd-straight year. Losing 4 or more games for 5 years straight hasn't helped. 

It. Is. Not. The. Media's. Or. The. Fans'. Fault.

Archived