Gus Music City Bowl Presser: 12-13-18 (All Threads Merged)

toddc

10 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

They can still recruit. However, there were plenty of articles that came out stating Gus was having to reassure parents that he would be here in 2019. The social media smoke was something he was having to address. The AU admin was steadfast and said Gus would be here in 2019. But Gus was still having to answer questions from recruits and parents about his job security. That came from social media/internet smoke.

That smoke didn't rise out of nothing. And he SHOULD have to answer questions after the performance of the team this year. He SHOULD have to answer questions after Stidham regressed so much. He SHOULD have to answer questions after botching Asa's redshirt. He SHOULD have to answer questions about plenty of things. To pretend that he had NOTHING to answer for is looking through some thick orange and blue glasses. 

8 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Hey look how good our rivals are recruiting 😁.  Honestly Texas A&M scares me the most on that list.  They are a sleeping giant with tons of money in a state that is loaded with talent.  

It's not about them as much as it's about us falling behind them. 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

In what way does that absolve Auburn? This isn’t very clear to me. 

It's in the article, not my words.

And I usually do just roll with them. But I'm genuinely curious as to what prompted it this time

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Malzahn said of calling plays. “It has been a process, I think, too, as a head coach you learn, and you grow

We hope you have learned and have grown for the sake of our football team.

Gus has run out of ideas.  He likes to do the play-calling and it looks like he plans to have fun until his time is up.  Is anyone honestly encouraged by this?

7-5 or 6-6?

9 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It's in the article, not my words.

And I usually do just roll with them. But I'm genuinely curious as to what prompted it this time

Who knows. I can never figure out why Oracle facepalms me. He slaps himself silly to my posts.

55 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

So it's facts now, and it was lies when it was reported by the same place earlier? 

Like I said, I don't know what to believe. And that's ok. I don't have to KNOW what's  going on. But you don't  KNOW either. But to pretend that there was no fire with all the smoke makes no sense. 

Also pretending that coaches never deny having contact with institutions, to deny that Gus has never been openly dishonest, and that ADs never "support" their coach while looking for another means you haven't paid attention 

Like Gus saying "I love Auburn" but he was willing to go to Arkansas for more money last season, listening to offers while preparing for the SEC Championship, etc.  

Granted his agent did most of this but he is a liar.    He loves Auburn's money and opportunity to win a Championship, but he does not love Auburn and that is fine.

Gus never blames himself for anything that goes wrong with his football program.  It’s always someone else’s fault.  The Asa Martin redshirt mistake was one coach thought it was 3 games and another thought is was 4 games—he played in 6.  So it really wasn’t a mistake.  Last year he implies it was because he wasn’t calling the plays.  The UGA 2016 game it was SW didn’t tell him he was hurt in the first half.

He does mention he let go of the play calling early in 2016, but not until he created the 2016 Clemson game plan.  By the way, I believe he still thinks that was a good plan, the players just didn’t execute the plan.

He mentions “learning and growing”, but how can you learn and grow without admitting your mistakes?  I am encouraged about this year as there is not more excuses Gus can use if he fails. Of course, he will blame the players, other coaches or injuries, but everybody will know the issue.

I would love for Auburn to go 15-0 and while excepting the crystal ball Gus utters some politically incorrect phase that leaves Auburn no other choice but to fire him.  The man needs to go.

13 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Like Gus saying "I love Auburn" but he was willing to go to Arkansas for more money last season, listening to offers while preparing for the SEC Championship, etc.  

Granted his agent did most of this but he is a liar.    He loves Auburn's money and opportunity to win a Championship, but he does not love Auburn and that is fine.

This entire clown show is Gus to a tee folks.

Anyone could go back to his Arkansas days and know he and his people stir up the media with crap rumors and smoke 'n mirrors to try to cover up the fact that he is in over his head at this level of college coaching.  

This crap isn't even the first time he's threatened our Administration with the recruiting angle.  He got an extension from Jacobs after the 2015 (because Gus whined about recruiting suffering) that was an abysmal season where he went 6-6.  The fans were so pissed Jacobs hid it from the public until the softball team made it to the WCWS and then he slid in the announcement and folks excused it because the Admin had to save recruiting.  Then Gus went on to lose 5 more games in '16 with that horrendous Clemson loss and the fans were pissed yet again......Then he screws around in '17 and loses to Clemson again and pissed away the LSU game.....fans were pissed so he notches a couple of big wins vs uga/uat and wins the West only to extort a lucrative extension/raise & buyout before the SECCG where he crapped the bed and lost his 4th bowl game.  He threatened to leave Auburn for freaking Arkansas and AU PTB bit the hook and now look where we are.

I have nothing left for Gus, period.  The man is nothing more than a tacky magician and he's been playing Auburn for YEARS and playing the shell game with the fan base for far too damn long.

This latest interview is nothing more than his attempt to cover up the crap his people put out in the public, and now he wants to "save recruiting" and the fan base will jump right back on the bus.  

Whatever happens, I hope Gus takes the whole offense on his shoulders and rolls with it. We could be great, we could be just as bad as we were this year. Regardless of the outcome, it's on him now and he'll sink or swim with our success or failure.

Hopefully, he has fun and realizes that what he truly loves and is good at is offensive planning and play-calling. Maybe he can find that balance between being the CEO and the OC with the help he has around him.

Love the guy - want him (and us) to succeed. If he just can't do it as a HC, hopefully he'll move on and return to being a full-time OC. It'll probably make him happier in the long run.

21 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I would love for Auburn to go 15-0 and while excepting the crystal ball Gus utters some politically incorrect phase that leaves Auburn no other choice but to fire him.  The man needs to go.

This is a unique take, I’ll give you that.

57 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Gus is always full of sunshine in tbe offseason. He even got me fired up last year. Not this time. 

AGREE!

I knew what was coming when gus said after the iron bowl “ our offense will be better next year no matter who the qb is “.  I believe it. 

These are the moments I hate Gus the most. Like when he claimed he didn't know Sean White was hurt. This thing. Gus is just not a leader of men. He sounds like he prepped to answer this particular question by admitting he was ultimately in the wrong but then his ego just wouldn't let him do the right thing in the middle of it. 

By the way, who the **** is on staff that doesn't know the RS rules? THIS ENTIRE DAMN BOARD KNOWS THE RULE!!!!!

Who cares he is gone now.   Mistakes are made especially since the play wasnt official.  I can atleast see how they would have thought it wasnt burned when it was 

1 minute ago, auskip07 said:

Who cares he is gone now

A LOT of us care. It's telling that you don't. We can't keep losing highly rated talent and expect to keep up with Bama, UGA, LSU, and A&M. We are falling further behind them every class. And that doesn't count the fact that we lose a LOT of the recruiting classes we bring in. I saw something somewhere that said one of our previous top 10 classes had less than half still on the roster. You can NOT keep doing that and expect to compete with teams that have recruited better, have more success with player progression, and have less players transferring out.

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

These are the moments I hate Gus the most. Like when he claimed he didn't know Sean White was hurt. This thing. Gus is just not a leader of men. He sounds like he prepped to answer this particular question by admitting he was ultimately in the wrong but then his ego just wouldn't let him do the right thing in the middle of it. 

By the way, who the **** is on staff that doesn't know the RS rules? THIS ENTIRE DAMN BOARD KNOWS THE RULE!!!!!

No they don’t. Transfer rules have been the same for decades and a good portion of this board drives elitor crazy all the time needing to have them explained. The redshirt rules are new and relatively easy but many people here have to be tutored on it regularly. 

We lack leadership on and off the field. This isn't just an everyday, la-di-da mistake and we'll likely pay for it on the recruiting trail. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Also he has to deal with the fact that teams we play every single season are right now top 4 in recruiting. 

Screenshot_20181214-084543.png

Never mind the fact you are only looking at total points & not looking at rating per commit which is a better indication of the talent a school is bringing in. In that more important stat AU is #4 in the nation, only behind Bama, UGA, & FSU.

15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

muad-roar.gif

We are all so angry!!! 

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Never mind the fact you are only looking at total points & not looking at rating per commit which is a better indication of the talent a school is bringing in. In that more important stat AU is #4 in the nation, only behind Bama, UGA, & FSU.

No, I'm looking at the top 4 on 247. If you have issue with how they rank teams, that's an issue with them not me. I looked up the top classes. My screenshot shows who THEY list as top 4.  Not me twisting the facts to fit my narrative. I just posted who they have as the top 4. 

10 minutes ago, alexava said:

No they don’t. Transfer rules have been the same for decades and a good portion of this board drives elitor crazy all the time needing to have them explained. The redshirt rules are new and relatively easy but many people here have to be tutored on it regularly. 

Inexcusable for anyone making 5-6 figures in the industry to not know this simple rule. It's different for casual fans to not know the ins and outs but absolutely a failure for a coach on staff who is dealing directly with parents to drop the ball in this manner. That is fireable. If any of us made such a remedial mistake at our jobs we would be let go. 

It's a single bullet point. One single sentence and our coach couldn't even wrap his head around it. 3 games is not even in some other rule that can be confused with this one.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

So the AD and the AU Pres had Gus's back the whole time? 

Probably not...but they also did not have 32 million blank check to send him on his way. Those that want him gone right now need to step up and pay for it. It’s that simple all this finger pointing saying who said what could have been avoided and still can. So if Green/Leath who did not have his back as well as the group that allegedly visited Stoops,  95% of the fan base, as well as the janitor on campus all want him gone..then what is the hold up? It’s the $$$ not only for him but his assistants, and the $$$$ for a new coach, a new staff, new facilities, etc. Simply put IMO it’s all about the money. 

Archived