Gus Music City Bowl Presser: 12-13-18 (All Threads Merged)

toddc

Not all of us are angry...yes the coaches burned the redshirt because they didn't have controls in place to prevent it....however, ASA also knows how many games he played in and if the plan was to redshirt him and he knew it then he should have stepped up and said something before going into the 5th game...blame to go on both sides...more so on the coaches. but still ASA played a role in burning his own redshirt....once they found out they should have played him more at least on special teams if he wasn't going to play his position this year....just my opinion....

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Not all of us are angry...yes the coaches burned the redshirt because they didn't have controls in place to prevent it....however, ASA also knows how many games he played in and if the plan was to redshirt him and he knew it then he should have stepped up and said something before going into the 5th game...blame to go on both sides...more so on the coaches. but still ASA played a role in burning his own redshirt....once they found out they should have played him more at least on special teams if he wasn't going to play his position this year....just my opinion....

He did. So did his mom. They were told he was gonna play. 

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

If any of us made such a remedial mistake at our jobs we would be let go. 

Mistakes happen all the time and people aren't always fired for those mistakes...some yes but not all...if a company acts that way then you get no one to innovate or make decisions...let's be real and not make some crazy statements like this....yeah, you are upset and I understand but there are two parties to this the coaches and the player....the player knows if the plan is to redshirt or not so they play a minor role also when told to go into their 5th game....ultimately the coaches fault...

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He did. So did his mom. They were told he was gonna play. 

If that is the case then they should have played him at least on special teams...

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

3 games is not even in some other rule that can be confused with this one.

I don’t think Gus is saying one of tbe staff thought the redshirt rule is 3 games fwiw. I think he’s saying one of tbe staff thought Asa only played 3, and the other thought 4. But then again, Gus kinda spoke short and barely comprehensible, so I may be wrong. The article really didn’t clear anything up either. 

Just now, AU_Tiger_88 said:

If that is the case then they should have played him at least on special teams...

10 carries against Liberty. That's it. 

My guess is that Chip really did think he was going to play and, as was the case with other aspects of the offense, was vetoed. Purely a guess on my part. 

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

giphy.gif

That’s it! The balloons on the poster really illustrate how delicate and angry we are. Grrrr!!!!! Gus he just makes me want my smart water.

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I don’t think Gus is saying one of tbe staff thought the redshirt rule is 3 games fwiw. I think he’s saying one of tbe staff thought Asa only played 3, and the other thought 4. But then again, Gus kinda spoke short and barely comprehensible, so I may be wrong. The article really didn’t clear anything up either. 

Ok after re-reading I may have misinterpreted that part. The sad part is my trust in Gus is so low that it's actually believable that someone would get the rule wrong lolol.

Sorry guys my skin tone is losing it's green color now. Getting back to normal

I don’t think they miscalculated it. I think they planned on using him. They wanted to use him. He didn’t elevate to what they needed and we didn’t win a game by a comfortable enough margin to use 5 RBs until Liberty. 

Just now, Tiger said:

Ok after re-reading I may have misinterpreted that part. The sad part is my trust in Gus is so low that it's actually believable that someone would get the rule wrong lolol.

Sorry guys my skin tone is losing it's green color now. Getting back to normal

I listened to Pat Dye on the radio yesterday  and he spoke more coherently than the crap I had to interpret today. Communication problems are believable.

51 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

A LOT of us care. It's telling that you don't. We can't keep losing highly rated talent and expect to keep up with Bama, UGA, LSU, and A&M. We are falling further behind them every class. And that doesn't count the fact that we lose a LOT of the recruiting classes we bring in. I saw something somewhere that said one of our previous top 10 classes had less than half still on the roster. You can NOT keep doing that and expect to compete with teams that have recruited better, have more success with player progression, and have less players transferring out.

Well that's fine....just care away ...but get off that horse....and idea that a mother of a player might have it wrong ?  Wow......bet that never happens.   Not calling her a liar ...but not calling our coaches liars either.  

It's a done deal and unless you want to keep beating up on Gus there is no reason to continue pushing the issue.>>JMO    The guy is gonna go somewhere and probably play a few years but he was not gonna be a factor at AU and you must know that.   So...he got the opportunity for an Auburn education which I hope he took some advantage of. 

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don’t think they miscalculated it. I think they planned on using him. They wanted to use him. He didn’t elevate to what they needed and we didn’t win a game by a comfortable enough margin to use 5 RBs until Liberty. 

Gus said they miscalculated it. "One guy thought it was 3" and "by game 6 we were all on the same page". And then somebody told his mom and him that they were going to redshirt him after the MSU game. Gus's response didn't contradict that. 

Saw this listed as a great gift idea for Gus. This is going to follow him for a little while explanation or not. 

637_malzahn.jpeg
Getty Images

Gus Malzahn

Auburn football coach

Gift: Abacus

Keeps count of many things, including time, money, transfers or games until backup running backs burn their redshirts.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

and idea that a mother of a player might have it wrong ?  Wow......bet that never happens.   Not calling her a liar ...but not calling our coaches liars either.  

Except "our coaches" still haven't disputed Harris's version of the story. In fact, Gus came much closer to confirming it.

I don't think a lot of y'all are even reading these pieces. 

34 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

No, I'm looking at the top 4 on 247. If you have issue with how they rank teams, that's an issue with them not me. I looked up the top classes. My screenshot shows who THEY list as top 4.  Not me twisting the facts to fit my narrative. I just posted who they have as the top 4. 

Doesn’t the number of commits matter though....? Many schools have a lot less commits right now, which lowers their numbers. I’m thinking that’s the same thing E was saying? Recruiting is not over for some but near complete for others. 

35 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Probably not...but they also did not have 32 million blank check to send him on his way. Those that want him gone right now need to step up and pay for it. It’s that simple all this finger pointing saying who said what could have been avoided and still can. So if Green/Leath who did not have his back as well as the group that allegedly visited Stoops,  95% of the fan base, as well as the janitor on campus all want him gone..then what is the hold up? It’s the $$$ not only for him but his assistants, and the $$$$ for a new coach, a new staff, new facilities, etc. Simply put IMO it’s all about the money. 

Now I agree with this 100%.  We've heard for over 2 months now that "the money is there", and "money is no issue" ~ if the money was there and wasn't and issue then they'd have sent him packing immediately after the Iron Bowl.  They (PTB/BOT) don't have a freaking plan of action, they have no viable replacement that would be any better than what we've got now, and apparently AU (Leath) said Auburn will not be picking up the tab for that buyout.  

Gus knew he'd screwed the pooch after the MSU/UT losses, he knew he was facing another 2 possibly 3 more losses and folks would have the tar & feathers ready.  He laid down and drained out the clock in the IB like a coward - a bad look for an AU coach to deliberately do that so that the score wouldn't get any worse.  

Then all of a sudden after the IB, we see leaks/rumors/accusations from the likes of a political journalist that hasn't reported on sports in years?  Josh Moon comes out of the woodwork like a termite....and one of our own Mods (Titan) backs him non-stop.  Then BMarcello joins in the tweets, then Jay Tate piles on the rumor mill and Philip Marshall cleans up the mess with a brutally honest piece that shines a bright light on the whole debacle.   

Now 19 (NINETEEN) days later >>>>> Gus decides to do a 21 minute press conference so he can clear the air, and set things straight?  To save the recruiting class?  

What a freaking mess - we have a coach that's played the Bait 'N Switch on Auburn for years, and an Administration that's totally dysfunctional.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I knew what was coming when gus said after the iron bowl “ our offense will be better next year no matter who the qb is “.  I believe it. 

I'm having trouble with that statement.  I remember him saying it and thought at the time that was a crazy thing to say. He has trouble even when he knows who the QB will be. I'll claim Missouri residence on that... he'll definitely have to show me. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I knew what was coming when gus said after the iron bowl “ our offense will be better next year no matter who the qb is “.  I believe it. 

Question, if he thought he could improve on Chip's game planning and play calling, then why the hell didn't he take the reigns mid-season when the shart hit the fan.  Gus is the man in charge, if a staffer can't get the desired results then take over his duties and then can his ass at the end of the year (or in the middle of the year like Riley canned his DC mid-season) and move on.

6 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I'm having trouble with that statement.  I remember him saying it and thought at the time that was a crazy thing to say. He has trouble even when he knows who the QB will be. I'll claim Missouri residence on that... he'll definitely have to show me. 

Here's a brilliant idea - if your OC can't get the job done and you see it every week than make a change.  Take the damn clipboard away from Chip and do it yourself rather that sit back and watch the thing go down in flames.

i.e. Lincoln Riley canning his DC mid-season.

56 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Inexcusable for anyone making 5-6 figures in the industry to not know this simple rule. It's different for casual fans to not know the ins and outs but absolutely a failure for a coach on staff who is dealing directly with parents to drop the ball in this manner. That is fireable. If any of us made such a remedial mistake at our jobs we would be let go. 

It's a single bullet point. One single sentence and our coach couldn't even wrap his head around it. 3 games is not even in some other rule that can be confused with this one.

The idiot still doesn't know how many games he played in. "I think he played in six". 

Then says it's not like he stopped playing. Yes that's exactly what happened. What a boob. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

These are the moments I hate Gus the most. Like when he claimed he didn't know Sean White was hurt. This thing. Gus is just not a leader of men. He sounds like he prepped to answer this particular question by admitting he was ultimately in the wrong but then his ego just wouldn't let him do the right thing in the middle of it. 

By the way, who the **** is on staff that doesn't know the RS rules? THIS ENTIRE DAMN BOARD KNOWS THE RULE!!!!!

Completely agree 

Bottom line is it's the coaching staff's responsibility to know where Asa's eligibility was.  3 games, 4 games, whatever, they should have known what the plan was and when he should not have been playing and redshirted (if that was the plan at all). It's unbelievable that they don't have someone on staff who knows exactly what his status was or any of the other freshmans status was. 

Archived