Gus Music City Bowl Presser: 12-13-18 (All Threads Merged)

toddc

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing he's only a few years older than Cord!

Hope Auburn is a launching pad and not a speed bump on his very fast trajectory. 

This is a bunch of mealy-mouthed pablem he's feeding the masses. It took 19 days for the PR Department to get CGM's media points down so he could come out with his sales pitch in an effort to once again "save the recruiting class".......He's accomplished the Bait 'N Switch once again folks - the man's a pro!

Throw out rumors to the reporters, stir up the tweets with day to day crap about behind the scenes shenanigan's get folks all worked up into a frenzy.  Then give it a day or two and let Greene release his letter, then wait a day or two and let Gus do his 21 minutes "State of Auburn" address and ease everyone's nerves.  Try to gloss over the abomination of a football season and the inexplicable losses once again.....make a glowing rendition of the future and how great recruiting is going....dish out more positives and let everyone marinate for a while longer.  :puke1:

Basically, Gus is the fall guy for anything negative regarding the program. He has to be. He's the HC/CEO and that's part of the job. Is it his fault specifically for the red shirt mishap? Probably not. There is someone else on that sideline that is telling which players to go out there for the play(s) being called. That individual probably forgot in the heat of the moment (blocked punt, red zone offense, a bit of chaos - see below quote) that Asa was only to be used if absolutely necessary.

During Auburn’s 34-3 win against Arkansas on Sept. 22, Asa Martin took the field late in the first half, when the Tigers took over at the Razorbacks’ 9-yard line with 3:08 to go until halftime following a partially blocked punt by Jordyn Peters. On first down, Auburn went shotgun with a split backfield behind Jarrett Stidham — with Whitlow lined up to the right behind the quarterback and Asa Martin on the left side. Asa Martin motioned out to the right, but before the Tigers could snap the ball, Auburn was called for delay of game.

The fact we got a delay of game penalty indicates we were out of sorts on the sideline. Asa probably didn't even think about losing his red shirt in the heat of the moment either.

I say all of this because the simplest answers are usually close to the truth of the matter. There was also probably confusion as to whether or not that play counted toward Asa's playing time since the play never actually happened - Auburn (as far as I know) still doesn't have him listed as participating in that game.

Regardless of how it all went down, the staff has handled it poorly. Gus has handled it poorly and I still believe he should just come right out and say "We screwed up." instead of just shifting around the whys and hows because it no longer matters. Hopefully, he has at least reached out to the Martins to apologize to them personally.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

This is a bunch of mealy-mouthed pablem he's feeding the masses. It took 19 days for the PR Department to get CGM's media points down so he could come out with his sales pitch in an effort to once again "save the recruiting class".......He's accomplished the Bait 'N Switch once again folks - the man's a pro!

Throw out rumors to the reporters, stir up the tweets with day to day crap about behind the scenes shenanigan's get folks all worked up into a frenzy.  Then give it a day or two and let Greene release his letter, then wait a day or two and let Gus do his 21 minutes "State of Auburn" address and ease everyone's nerves.  Try to gloss over the abomination of a football season and the inexplicable losses once again.....make a glowing rendition of the future and how great recruiting is going....dish out more positives and let everyone marinate for a while longer.  :puke1:

sneaky.jpg

So the madness continues! Let's have some self deprecating fun next season! 

Best case scenario is Auburn gets up big on Purdue in the first half and starts bringing in Willis and Cord.  No reason Auburn shouldn’t be able to do this against a very average Purdue team.  As far as next year I don’t think Auburn is as bad off as everyone thinks.  The only Qb anyone has seen enough to form an opinion is Malik.  Cord looked good in limited action, Joey has the athleticism to be good with some coaching, Nix is sliced bread according to most.  It took Jason Campbell till his senior year and Al Borges to really hit his stride.  Maybe Malik just needs another off season to find himself. 

18 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am going to quit worrying about it and just enjoy what i can.

Good on you '50.

King Arthur (Gus) is circling the Knights of the Round Table for another 12 months in Camelot.  And all we minions can do is sit back and just enjoy what we can.

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Best case scenario is Auburn gets up big on Purdue in the first half and starts bringing in Willis and Cord.  No reason Auburn shouldn’t be able to do this against a very average Purdue team.  As far as next year I don’t think Auburn is as bad off as everyone thinks.  The only Qb anyone has seen enough to form an opinion is Malik.  Cord looked good in limited action, Joey has the athleticism to be good with some coaching, Nix is sliced bread according to most.  It took Jason Campbell till his senior year and Al Borges to really hit his stride.  Maybe Malik just needs another off season to find himself. 

I hope we blow out Purdue. That being said, if Stidham is on fire they'll let him keep rolling so he can have some good tape. With Stidham's measurables NFL scouts would point to a stellar bowl game as being more indicative of what he could do.

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

Good on you '50.

King Arthur (Gus) is circling the Knights of the Round Table for another 12 months in Camelot.  And all we minions can do is sit back and just enjoy what we can.

We're going on a pilgrimage to find the Holy Grail!

Before the first buy week, either a true freshman straight out of high school, an elder sophomore with virtually no experience, a glorified running back or a pure project are going to have to go on the road to Dallas to play Oregon and then go on the road at College Station and Gainesville...with a returning OL that looked average at best this season. 

If he can turn those feelings into "very good" results, he might have earned coach of the year. 

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I hope we blow out Purdue. That being said, if Stidham is on fire they'll let him keep rolling so he can have some good tape. With Stidham's measurables NFL scouts would point to a stellar bowl game as being more indicative of what he could do.

Last I checked they have the 120th ranked pass defense in the nation so passing shouldn’t be an issue as long as it’s over 5 yards.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

It just occurred to me that that describes 63% of all responses I receive. 

I imagine often that whether anyone actually posts a facepalm or not most readers of my posts probably actually physically DO a facepalm for realz.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

I imagine often that whether anyone actually posts a facepalm or not most readers of my posts probably actually physically DO a facepalm for realz.

The bruises, 72. You wouldn't believe the bruises.

It's occurred to me that I have accused both Nick Saban & Gus Malzahn of being robots, but for different reasons.  

I've found a video of them together to prove it.  Guess which is which...

giphy.gif

What BS.

If we have talent on the bench, why not let one of them take a series late in a game that's no longer in doubt??  Wouldn't that be better for them and the team???

Oh, I forgot.  We have the first third of next season to sort that out.  :no:

12 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

247sports lists Bo as a dual-threat. However ESPN and Rivals lists as pro style pocket passer. Which is it?

He's running ability will be similar to Stid's running ability IMO. If he turns out to be a true DT QB in college it'll be because of his vision and ability to read blocks versus out running people. 

If Bo starts game 1 against oregon then its going to be a long year. It'll be one of those years where we are discussing if the team is improving while losing instead of actually talking about the loss 

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Best case scenario is Auburn gets up big on Purdue in the first half and starts bringing in Willis and Cord.  No reason Auburn shouldn’t be able to do this against a very average Purdue team.  

Don't put a bet on this.   I have a really bad feeling about this game.  With all the BS Gus spews, no way we are prepared for this game.

• WarTiger changed the title to Using dillingham during Bowl prep
3 hours ago, auskip07 said:

The only thing telling about "not caring after its done" is i dont spend my time crying about crap that i have 0 control over and that cant be changed.   Yeah it sucks,  get over it.   When he wins a heisman at another school then ill feel like you feel

If he had that kind of talent he would've been the starter..... 

Archived