Deshaun Davis on Joey Gatewood

gr82be

Deshaun Davis: ‘Joey Gatewood’s going to be a really good quarterback’

Auburn quarterback Joey Gatewood has impressed teammates in bowl practices this week.

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

tgreen@al.com

Deshaun Davis was hesitant to say it. He knew his words would carry weight and, ultimately, lead to headlines from the local media.

Auburn’s media-savvy senior linebacker wasn’t wrong — but he spilled his thoughts anyway Friday evening after the Tigers’ second bowl practice.

“There’s some talent out there, I can tell you that,” Davis said when asked about a scrimmage among the younger players on Thursday. “I’m excited to see — I don’t think I should say that.”

He paused, looked over to one of Auburn’s media relations people near the front of the room, then continued.

“Joey Gatewood’s going to be a really good quarterback,” Davis said. “I know that’s probably going to be a story, but he’s going to be a good quarterback, man.”

It’s the most effusive praise of the freshman quarterback since he stepped foot on campus — the closest prior comment was when Gus Malzahn said Gatewood, who stands 6-foot-5 and 237 pounds, was “the closest thing to Cam Newton, physically” that he had seen. That was on National Signing Day, and Malzahn walked those comments back later that day, when he clarified that there’s “only one Cam Newton.”

Davis, on the other hand, was standing by his remarks about the dual-threat quarterback who has yet to see the field for Auburn.

Gatewood signed with Auburn during the early signing period last year as a four-star prospect. He was the nation’s third-rated athlete and was the 107th-best recruit nationally at the time, though the 247Sports Composite rankings show he finished the 2018 cycle as the No. 1 athlete and a top-50 prospect in the country.

Gus Malzahn feels "very good" about Auburn's quarterback situation for 2019

However, Gatewood struggled passing the ball during spring practices, when he was essentially the No. 2 quarterback behind Malik Willis while Jarrett Stidham was limited due to injury. On A-Day, Gatewood was 4-of-14 passing for zero total yards, including 4-of-12 for no yards against Auburn’s first-team defense. He was also sacked for a safety and nearly threw a pick-six.

Gatewood’s freshman season never took off, as a preseason thumb injury sidelined him for some time and he was relegated to fifth on the quarterback depth chart behind Stidham, Willis, Cord Sandberg and former walk-on Devin Adams. Gatewood will redshirt this year before having a chance to compete for the starting job in the spring, as Stidham is departing early for the NFL, leaving the Tigers’ quarterback job open.

“Joey definitely has a lot of talent," senior receiver Ryan Davis said. "You can see obviously the size in him, athletic ability. Joey is just putting the pieces together and I know it’s going to take time. Joey, just seeing him these first two days, Coach Malzahn has definitely been trying to push him to reach that next level. Really, pushing everybody to reach that next level as well. For Joey himself, I feel like he’s definitely taking those steps in the right direction for sure.”

Gatewood seems intent on using the additional bowl practices — which younger players such as Nick Coe and Boobee Whitlow in recent years have used as a launching pad for the following season — to set himself up in good position to compete for the job.

“You could tell he’s comfortable with the ball in his hand,” Deshaun Davis said. “That’s kind of cliche to say for a quarterback, but he’s not afraid to make plays, I’ll say that. He trusts his receivers in one-on-one situations. He’s a good running quarterback. He’s faster than I thought he was actually, so I know he’s going to surprise a lot of people, and he’s not going down in the pocket easily. I don’t know if it’s because of the guys that are trying to tackle him or what, but when he’s standing back in the pocket, he’s a big guy to bring down.”

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why didn't his HS coaches trust him to throw more? I know there was another Decent QB he played with but if you're a top 100 recruit how are you sharing snaps with someone? People really need to stop comparing other players to Cam

That's awesome of Davis to say. It's really good to hear as well. This time last year it was boobee getting good stuff said and he was our starter most of this season. Not saying that's going to happen with Gatewood but it's really good to hear him getting some love. 

19 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

So, who will be our QB for the bowl game? I'm hoping we get to see a lot of the other guys (besides Stidham).

Stidham has already said he’s going to play. Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

Hope it’s true and Joey kills it next year. Maybe Lindsey was able to develop him a bit a Dillingham can keep that going. He had a long way to go coming out of high school and then a day

3 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

as much as i agree with you,you know as well as i do that won't happen

If winning the game means that Stidham plays 100% of the snaps, I'm OK with that.  Now if we get out to a 3 - 4 touchdown lead in the 4th and can play other QBs I'll see that as gravy.  Of course if we're down by 4 TDs in the 4th, I guess you play the younger guys also but the howls will continue until two minutes before the kickoff with Oregon.

3 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

So, who will be our QB for the bowl game? I'm hoping we get to see a lot of the other guys (besides Stidham).

If an Auburn fan cares about winning a bowl game, Stidham will be the QB. Apparently a lot of AU fans care about wining bowl games because there sure was a bunch of griping about losing the bowl game last year.

11 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

The question is, will Gusto actually play him? Can Dilly develop QB's? Gusto cannot. A QB that has been recruited and developed by Gusto, is yet to be seen.

IMO he has the most upside of the 3 on campus, now get out there be a leader and take it. It’s sitting right there in front of you.

Just a running exhaustive count of the people who believe in Joey Gatewood:

Deshaun Davis

@cole256

@AidiAU

@Auburn2Eugene

and myself 

Join the bandwagon folks while you can.

The running count of Joey won’t be a QB:

Unbelievers, prostitutes, drug dealers, white collar criminals, Harvey Updyke, the boogeyman.. 

Stidham will play 100% of the game because Gus needs to look as good as possible to try and win back some of the fan base. He is calling the plays so if it looks bad with a inexperienced QB, everyone will be up in arms as usual. However, if they have a great offenseive game he may have some wondering if Gus was not all to blame for some of the bad play calling. Also a chance at a good sales pitch for these recruits.

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Deshaun Davis

@cole256

@AidiAU

and myself 

Unbelievers, prostitutes, drug dealers, white collar criminals, Harvey Updyke, the boogeyman.. 

For the record, I object to being called Harvey Updyke.

1 minute ago, API said:

For the record, I object to being called Harvey Updyke.

I’ll deem you a square chin then. Chizik had to be convinced by Gusbus to get Cam after all. 

25 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Deshaun Davis

@cole256

@AidiAU

and myself 

Joey easily has the highest potential. I doubt that will be developed in 2019. The problem is that I think Bo will be ready out of the gate. If this happens I hope Joey will accept being qb2 AND a “slash “ of sorts. Too talented not to play at all. 

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Deshaun Davis

@cole256

@AidiAU

and myself 

I was getting ready to tag you in this. 

Applications for the fan club are due ASAP. 

39 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Deshaun Davis

@cole256

@AidiAU

and myself 

U left out Auburn2Oregon(president) ...and me...

From a pure QB standpoint nix already looks more developed and refined than gatewood. 

Coaches need to get to him realize he could be something special as a TE/WR and get him in the games and in to an NFL career. 

The fact that people are saying Bo is ready right now is laughable to me. If you want us to have any chance you actually need Gatewood to be good. And calling for him to be moved to wr????? Why? If Bo has to get thrown out there immediately and you don't even give JG an opportunity.....you gamble losing two QB's. We're the last team that can handle that situation right now. 

11 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Why didn't his HS coaches trust him to throw more? I know there was another Decent QB he played with but if you're a top 100 recruit how are you sharing snaps with someone? People really need to stop comparing other players to Cam

My question is can he throw the deep ball well consistently. All of Gus's successful offenses, you had a trigger man who could consistently push the ball deep. Gatewood highschool highlights I've seen dont show him making many deep throws. I'm wondering if that's because he cant or wasnt asked to or if maybe theres different highlights where he does. Anyone have a link showing highlights of him slinging it way down the field?

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Deshaun Davis

@cole256

@AidiAU

and myself 

This at least gives me hope, I was the first president but you did such an amazing job holding the fort down during my hiatus it wouldn't be right or fair for me to try to comeback and claim that title. 

I fully back you as there is going to be a bunch of hate during the summer. I'll be sergeant of arms!

Archived