Deshaun Davis on Joey Gatewood

gr82be

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The fact that people are saying Bo is ready right now is laughable to me. If you want us to have any chance you actually need Gatewood to be good. And calling for him to be moved to wr????? Why? If Bo has to get thrown out there immediately and you don't even give JG an opportunity.....you gamble losing two QB's. We're the last team that can handle that situation right now. 

Thing is no one knows if Bo is ready or not. Fromm was ready as a true freshman, same for Hurts. But they were the exception, not the norm. I definitely agree the coaches need to go all in on trying to develop Gatewood as a qb. Otherwise, why the hell bring him in as a QB to begin with knowing he was raw. Joey probably needs a couple more years of development to hit anywhere close to his ceiling. They need to give him a real shot now though.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I fully back you as there is going to be a bunch of hate during the summer. I'll be sergeant of arms!

InbornClutteredImperialeagle-max-1mb.gif

We are getting tbe band back together!  

Did context die recently? 

People here saying we don't care about bowls because we want to see a new qb or 2 after a 7-5 season versus Purdue in a garbage bowl like that's a NY6 game in a 10 win season. 

1 minute ago, twilli13 said:

Thing is no one knows if Bo is ready or not. Fromm was ready as a true freshman, some fir Hurts. But they were the exception, not the norm. I definitely agree the coaches need to go all in on trying to develop Gatewood as a qb. Otherwise, why the hell bring him in as s QB to begin with knowing he was raw. Joey probably needs a couple more years of development to hit anywhere close to his ceiling. They need to give him a real s*** now though.

I agree. The thing about those teams is they had unbelievable running games to not support but literally carry the QB's as they were able to get better game by game. 

So the question is do we have the o line and hb's needed? Things like actually using a TE in the offense or at least having routes where they can dump off the ball will be vital. Will we have a defense that can carry us as the offense takes hits? We may need the score to be held to 17-24 points at time. I'll be totally honest I'm scared as hell to be bringing in a brand new QB in this situation. If I was head coach this past year other qb's would've seen a bunch of playing time.....but it is what it is.....

5 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Fromm was ready as a true freshman, same for Hurts.

If Bo had the OL, WRs, and RBs as Fromm  and Hurts did, you might have a point. I don’t feel good about throwing Bo out against the wolves with our staff and talent that will surround him though. He may get shellshocked. He wasn’t even sacked his senior year. We need somebody that can take some hits, deliver some blows, and push the ball up and down the field. It’s Gatewood’s time. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I agree. The thing about those teams is they had unbelievable running games to not support but literally carry the QB's as they were able to get better game by game. 

So the question is do we have the o line and hb's needed? Things like actually using a TE in the offense or at least having routes where they can dump off the ball will be vital. Will we have a defense that can carry us as the offense takes hits? We may need the score to be held to 17-24 points at time. I'll be totally honest I'm scared as hell to be bringing in a brand new QB in this situation. If I was head coach this past year other qb's would've seen a bunch of playing time.....but it is what it is.....

Yea I'm totally with ya on this. Fromm and Hurts had completely dominant loaded offenses around them whereas we really need a dual threat Nick Marshall style guy to make everyone around him better. Kb or Khalil Tate would have been great options here. We need a gap bridger. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

If Bo had the OL, WRs, and RBs as Fromm  and Hurts did, you might have a point. I don’t feel good about throwing Bo out against the wolves with our staff and talent that will surround him though. He may get shellshocked. He wasn’t even sacked his senior year. We need somebody that can take some hits, deliver some blows, and push the ball up and down the field. It’s Gatewood’s time. 

Oh completely agree. I just said noone knows if hes ready or not. Being ready and having people around you are 2 different things. I'm not suggesting starting Nix.

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The fact that people are saying Bo is ready right now is laughable to me. If you want us to have any chance you actually need Gatewood to be good. And calling for him to be moved to wr????? Why? If Bo has to get thrown out there immediately and you don't even give JG an opportunity.....you gamble losing two QB's. We're the last team that can handle that situation right now. 

I'm not sure any here are saying bo is ready right now, just that he is, from what we've seen, further along in development. 

We don't need gatewood to be good, he isn't some second coming of cam no matter how much you want him to be. 

There is a reason he was a huge target at te/WR and not at QB. 

10 minutes ago, ToomersRevenge said:

Did context die recently? 

People here saying we don't care about bowls because we want to see a new qb or 2 after a 7-5 season versus Purdue in a garbage bowl like that's a NY6 game in a 10 win season. 

That's probably Mikey I imagine. Coincidentally he is known to accuse people quite often of this very thing you just wrote about. Go figure

4 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Few coaches tried to recruit Cam as a TE. 

29 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The fact that people are saying Bo is ready right now is laughable to me.

Truth.

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's probably Mikey I imagine. Coincidentally he is known to accuse people quite often of this very thing you just wrote about. Go figure

Dude: Read before you post. I'm the one that said the bowl game did matter.

1 minute ago, AUGunsmith said:

I'm not sure any here are saying bo is ready right now, just that he is, from what we've seen, further along in development. 

We don't need gatewood to be good, he isn't some second coming of cam no matter how much you want him to be. 

What sense does it make to say we don't need one of the QB's to be good?  Who says where you were at a qb is where you have to be as you progress? If that was the case we wouldn't ever need coaches to pick depth charts, everybody would just be where they are rated. 

He played on a team where there was another college QB on the roster that was the same age as him. So somebody played more than the other one......most places aren't like that. It doesn't mean you suck because another quality athlete beat you out. 

If anything we don't need another wr we have plenty that has shown upside. We don't need a tight end we don't even use those. Also your logic would lead to no cam Newton and no Nick Marshall

And the most glaring thing is.....you don't know how far along either one of them are. For all you know Bo could be shell shocked when he gets to campus......no matter how much you want him to be whoever you want. You'll watch it play out like everybody else

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Dude: Read before you post. I'm the one that said the bowl game did matter.

I said I imagine. I didn't read the post. I said as much in the post. My bad I was gonna come back and read it later. Sheesh. Sorry

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

What sense does it make to say we don't need one of the QB's to be good?  Who says where you were at a qb is where you have to be as you progress? If that was the case we wouldn't ever need coaches to pick depth charts, everybody would just be where they are rated. 

He played on a team where there was another college QB on the roster that was the same age as him. So somebody played more than the other one......most places aren't like that. It doesn't mean you suck because another quality athlete beat you out. 

If anything we don't need another wr we have plenty that has shown upside. We don't need a tight end we don't even use those. Also your logic would lead to no cam Newton and no Nick Marshall

And the most glaring thing is.....you don't know how far along either one of them are. For all you know Bo could be shell shocked when he gets to campus......no matter how much you want him to be whoever you want. You'll watch it play out like everybody else

If you'll notice I quoted someone who said we NEED Joey to be good. Like he is some saving grace. This isn't true. He is a project. Nothing more. He played less at QB than a guy whose best offer was Boise State. If he is so great, a mountain West QB recruit shouldn't beat you out. Period. 

Cam was a QB, he was highly touted as a QB he wasn't a project or some unknown or a hope and see. So that's out. Marshall wasn't a good QB. He was a great athlete who made the most out of the situation at Auburn. It only took an all-star line, RB, and FB to make it work. 

This isn't highschool where you throw your best athlete at QB and let them make athletic plays, if that worked at college and pro, Nick would still be a QB. 

No one wants Joey to fail, but unless he has in one season under Gus become a world beater super star QB, he is his own worst enemy by staying at QB. If he proves me wrong, so be it, great for him. 

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

The running count of Joey won’t be a QB:

Unbelievers, prostitutes, drug dealers, white collar criminals, Harvey Updyke, the boogeyman.. 

You left out strippers

12 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

If you'll notice I quoted someone who said we NEED Joey to be good. Like he is some saving grace. This isn't true. He is a project. Nothing more. He played less at QB than a guy whose best offer was Boise State. If he is so great, a mountain West QB recruit shouldn't beat you out. Period. 

Cam was a QB, he was highly touted as a QB he wasn't a project or some unknown or a hope and see. So that's out. Marshall wasn't a good QB. He was a great athlete who made the most out of the situation at Auburn. It only took an all-star line, RB, and FB to make it work. 

This isn't highschool where you throw your best athlete at QB and let them make athletic plays, if that worked at college and pro, Nick would still be a QB. 

No one wants Joey to fail, but unless he has in one season under Gus become a world beater super star QB, he is his own worst enemy by staying at QB. If he proves me wrong, so be it, great for him. 

So only good QB's come from big schools and only high rated qb's pan out.....ok got it. I give you two QB's who have arguably the most success at QB here at this school and you tell me it doesn't work......both QB's that was here under this very coach at that....you should probably look where many of the QB's in the NFL played at....well Patrick mahomes was beat out by a walk on so he sucks....oh yeah that walk on was the number one pick in the next draft.....go figure. 

Oh and they tried to move cam to tight end too. And we damn sure NEED him to be good.....because as stated we don't have anybody......we NEED him to be good as much as Bo to be good. Everything you are saying literally doesn't make any sense

You realize Nick played for us right? We're a college.....stidham played for us too....he was the number one qb...

So are all of you going to throw Willis under the bus because Davis said Gatewood would be good? He didn't say Willis wouldn't be good.

23 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

That did work in college...so. 

And let’s not pretend that Nick Marshall isn’t the reason for his own success.

Cam was a QB, he was highly touted as a QB he wasn't a project or some unknown or a hope and see.

Richt and Spurrier both offered him as a TE. Your old school thinking is the same reason why Georgia missed out. 

He played less at QB than a guy whose best offer was Boise State. If he is so great, a mountain West QB recruit shouldn't beat you out. Period

Two D1 QBs can make the same throws, only one QB is also a versatile All- American type athlete that can make plays all over tbe field. The talent level is limited to a HS roster and you’re the HC. Which would stay primarily at QB and which guy would be used all over tbe field. Go!

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

@aujeff11 I didn't see poet was on this bandwagon.......that doesn't sit well with me....spider sense tingling I might have to jump off. 

Just ignore him. He hasn’t paid his dues in months.

11 minutes ago, kd4au said:

So are all of you going to throw Willis under the bus because Davis said Gatewood would be good? He didn't say Willis wouldn't be good.

I hope they are all good.....this thread was just about Gatewood.

31 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Actually now that I think about it, you can't even follow your own logic....jg was offered by other big programs at QB but the other guy went to the measly Boise st (who has plenty of guys in the NFL btw) so how much can you trust rankings to tell you who's actually good? Or to use it as a basis for your debate?  

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I hope they are all good.....this thread was just about Gatewood.

I just don’t know why this whole board thinks Gatewood cannot be QB. He clearly looked the part. He didn’t trip and fall and accidentally become Under Armour All American game MVP. 

Archived