Deshaun Davis on Joey Gatewood

gr82be

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I just don’t know why this whole board thinks Gatewood cannot be QB. He clearly looked the part. He didn’t trip and fall and accidentally become Under Armour All American game MVP. 

He didn't come in and stidham out his first year so he sucks

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, cole256 said:

He didn't come in and stidham out his first year so he sucks

Haha. Yep. They’d turn on Stidham so quick.

But for real, Gatewood as a TE in a Malzahn offense is a waste of a scholarship because Malzahn won’t use him. If that happens, well Malzahn is lost and JG is gone. Malzahn has been recruiting him since Gatewood was an even more raw HS soph. I think Gus knows what he wants and still think Gus can exploit his talent as a QB. 

QB: JG

RB: Shivers

WR: Seth Williams, George Pickens, and the flash. 

Now we are cooking.

50 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I hope they are all good.....this thread was just about Gatewood.

You didn’t fall for it. Congrats. I am hoping either MW or JG wins the position. Dynamic players who I think Gus will need to utilize to be even remotely successful in this offense next year. Not buying the Bo Nix hype train and don’t know near enough about Cord tbh. What little I saw of him in high school, he does seem to be high IQ. People get on MW, but I would like to see Cord pass the ball, as I wasn’t overly impressed with his passing prowess from his high school tape.

I read the OP & think I see Gatewood's problem.

Trying to break into the lineup with Deshuan on you the whole time has gotta be difficult.

Okay, seriously though...

I was not on the Gatewood train last off-season.  For whatever reason the film I saw, he struck me as a tentative runner and okay passer.

However, I've seen more film since and have found it to be more impressive.... Matter of fact I do see the Cam comparisons, especially when running (NOT SAYING HE IS CAM).

Bottom line, he was a true-freshman.  With quality QB coaching & mentorship, I can see him actually being close to Cam quality by the time he's a junior/senior.  Will he get what he needs from the current administration?  Well... I'll leave that alone.

But, count me in on the Gatewood fanclub at this time.  I'd really like to see what he can do.

30 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

With quality QB coaching & mentorship

This is what has been so badly needed. Hope KD aka dilly dilly will be the QB coach that will finally get the job done and improve all of our QB's and let the best man win. I really don't care who is the QB as long as we are winning.

8 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Stidham has already said he’s going to play. Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

Nah, that's exactly what I meant.

I'd just like to see some new blood at QB. Wouldn't hurt to get the other guys some game reps. 

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

If an Auburn fan cares about winning a bowl game, Stidham will be the QB. Apparently a lot of AU fans care about wining bowl games because there sure was a bunch of griping about losing the bowl game last year.

This year and last are very different. Last year just missed playoffs building on the next year with established QB. This year struggled to a bowl and NOW IS THE TIME TO START LOOKING AT QB WIN OR LOSE. SMH

3 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Yea I'm totally with ya on this. Fromm and Hurts had completely dominant loaded offenses around them whereas we really need a dual threat Nick Marshall style guy to make everyone around him better. Kb or Khalil Tate would have been great options here. We need a gap bridger.  

If we had about 3 or 4 "Khalil Mack" type players, we wouldn't need much of an offense.  LOL

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

If an Auburn fan cares about winning a bowl game, Stidham will be the QB. Apparently a lot of AU fans care about wining bowl games because there sure was a bunch of griping about losing the bowl game last year.

I'd like us to win every game. But I'd also like to get a glimpse into the future. Would be nice to see one of the backups step in and succeed. If Stidham plays the whole game, what does that prove? 

Maybe our backups just aren't ready? However, I don't know much about Gatewood, but if he were to come in the game and light it up, there'd a lot of questions about his absence all season. Likewise, if Stidham plays all game and we lose, there will be similar questions.

As for last year, on paper, there's no reason we shouldn't have beaten (handily) UCF. But it seems our fans (myself included) and our players weren't as amped up as theirs. To them, it was the Super Bowl. To me (and many others if you read our message boards), it was a crappy consolation game (after missing the playoffs), against an unworthy opponent, in an undesirable venue.

I usually don't put much stock in player's comments about up-and-comers (they've been wrong too many times), but I feel like DD, who I also feel like will make an excellent coach one day, knows what he's talking about.

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

actually using a TE in the offense

???????????what is this that you speak of? it is legal for a tight end to receiver the football???? learn something new every day....please tell our idiot savant  HC as soon as possible

1 hour ago, Farmer Brown said:

If we had about 3 or 4 "Khalil Mack" type players, we wouldn't need much of an offense.  LOL

Is this referring specifically to my post? If so, confused on the point.  

4 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Is this referring specifically to my post? If so, confused on the point.  

Khalil Mack is a defensive player for the Chicago Bears, who dominates, even in the Pros....

Khalil Delshon Mack (born February 22, 1991) is an American football outside linebacker for the Chicago Bears of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Buffalo, and was drafted by the Oakland Raiders fifth overall in the 2014 NFL Draft. Mack holds the all-time NCAA record for forced fumbles and is also tied for career tackles for loss in the NCAA. In 2015, he became the second first-team All-Pro in NFL history to be selected by the Associated Press for two positions in the same year, as a defensive end and outside linebacker. In 1983, Lawrence Taylor was the first first-team All-Pro selection at two positions as an outside linebacker and inside linebacker. In September 2018, Mack was given away by Jon Gruden to the Bears for two first round draft picks and signed a six-year, $141 million extension, becoming the highest paid defensive player in NFL history. Mack is widely recognized as one of the most dominant defensive pla1yers, currently playing in the NFL.

Just a play on the similar names of Khalil Mack and Khalil Bryant.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

I usually don't put much stock in player's comments about up-and-comers (they've been wrong too many times), but I feel like DD, who I also feel like will make an excellent coach one day, knows what he's talking about.

Why is everyone so focused on what DD said in a media byte? So he said something about JG? maybe they are friends and he wanted to give him some pub. It doesn't mean anything until spring and for sure the fall.

And Spring really doesn't tell us anything. Cam looked horrible in the spring game he was in. Willis, with Stidham not playing, looked terrible passing in this last spring game.

Gus is going to be looking for someone who DOESN'T make mistakes at QB, and can run the ball some, if Gus is going back to his way on offense. The QB also has to be able to pass the ball effectively. How often, who knows, with Gus' taking over playcalling duties.

We all simply don't know who will be the best to start in 2019. I sure don't. 

8 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Just a running exhaustive count of the people who believe in Joey Gatewood:

Deshaun Davis

@cole256

@AidiAU

and myself 

Join the bandwagon folks while you can.

The running count of Joey won’t be a QB:

Unbelievers, prostitutes, drug dealers, white collar criminals, Harvey Updyke, the boogeyman.. 

Search my posts, you will never find a post with me saying anything bad about Gatewood. I looked forward to him for years and have defended him regularly

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Why is everyone so focused on what DD said in a media byte?

Because the last 2 that he has done this about have gone on to be starters. He is 2 for 2 so far. If Gatewood turns out to be the starter, he will be 3 for 3

19 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Search my posts, you will never find a post with me saying anything bad about Gatewood. I looked forward to him for years and have defended him regularly

Works for me. You’re going on the list. 

Now all we need is for Gatewood to make us look smart!

20 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Why didn't his HS coaches trust him to throw more? I know there was another Decent QB he played with but if you're a top 100 recruit how are you sharing snaps with someone? People really need to stop comparing other players to Cam

Thats all good and well but he isnt in HS anymore lol. A LB that has seen Tua, Jake Browning, Milton, etc, said this guy is gonna be a good QB. That potential and praise means more than anything he did in HS lol

6 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I just don’t know why this whole board thinks Gatewood cannot be QB. He clearly looked the part. He didn’t trip and fall and accidentally become Under Armour All American game MVP. 

I've never seen someone dismissed so quickly for no real apparent reason 

D Davis has a good track record at evaluating Auburn talent. I hope he is right. A big strong QB who can run and throw is a tough combination to beat. That doesn't mean I think Gatewood will be our staring QB next year. I honestly think we have three potential starters next year Gatewood, Nix, Sandberg with Sandberg being the wild card.  The good news is all three will be here this spring and the new OC really QB coach will not have any pre-conceived notions giving him the opportunity to evaluate all three.

I want the best QB to win out who gives us the best chance to win. Since Gus has ben at Auburn we have done our best with dual threat QB's so I am tickled that Davis thinks Gatewood could be an SEC QB. 

I want to win every game Auburn plays in but I also want to get ready for next year. I hope we can come out  fired up and put the hurt to Perdue so we can see Willis, Cord, and Gatewood. I left Willis out at the beginning as I just don't think he has it but I have been known to be wrong once or twice. 

If DD is right about JG, then once his NFL career is complete he should be hired as LB Coach/Recruiting Coordinator 😁.

22 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

I'd like us to win every game. But I'd also like to get a glimpse into the future. Would be nice to see one of the backups step in and succeed. If Stidham plays the whole game, what does that prove? 

Maybe our backups just aren't ready? However, I don't know much about Gatewood, but if he were to come in the game and light it up, there'd a lot of questions about his absence all season. Likewise, if Stidham plays all game and we lose, there will be similar questions.

As for last year, on paper, there's no reason we shouldn't have beaten (handily) UCF. But it seems our fans (myself included) and our players weren't as amped up as theirs. To them, it was the Super Bowl. To me (and many others if you read our message boards), it was a crappy consolation game (after missing the playoffs), against an unworthy opponent, in an undesirable venue.

It’s also an audition for Stidham of sorts.....Maybe he is trying to get one last good showing before he gets ready for the draft or maybe just maybe he wants to play one last game with his teammates. As for JG does anyone have any input on his ability to throw the deep ball? I think he has the best upside of all the three and I’d like to see him got out and take the position. 

Archived