Roster outlook: Quarterback

ellitor

Roster outlook: Quarterback

AUBURN | The first in a series of a position-by-position look at Auburn’s roster in 2019 begins with quarterback. The Tigers must replace two-year starter Jarrett Stidham with a number of candidates competing for the job.

Auburn is scheduled to have four quarterbacks on the roster in 2019 and flirted with bringing in a fifth before Kelly Bryant ultimately chose Missouri. Stidham has already announced he will forego his senior season and declare for the 2019 NFL Draft. Junior Malik Willis has served as the backup the last two seasons but it’s hard to call anyone the favorite in this competition, especially with new offensive coordinator and quarterback coach Kenny Dillingham coming on board this week. Also in the mix will be redshirt freshmen Cord Sandberg and Joey Gatewood along with true freshman Bo Nix, who is planning to enroll in January.

V5vgkzbn1ytydyzhvxv9
Willis has served as Auburn's backup quarterback that past two seasons.
Robin Conn/AuburnSports.com

There’s still a lot to sort out at the quarterback position and it’s possible Auburn could pursue another transfer quarterback to add more intrigue to the competition. Willis has the most experience but certainly didn’t set the world on fire this fall. He’s attempted just 13 passes in his two years as the backup, completing 4-of-6 for 19 yards this fall. He also rushed for 36 yards and a touchdown on nine carries.

Willis’ strength is his speed and athleticism, which makes him a genuine threat running the read-option when he makes good decisions, but his chances of winning the position will ultimately depend on how effective he is passing the ball.

Sandberg is still fresh off six years of minor league baseball and attempted just one pass this fall as he redshirted. He’s very much a wildcard in this battle and this spring will be a big one for him as he competes, really for the first time, for the starting position. Coming out of Manatee High School in 2013, Sandberg was a productive dual-threat quarterback who combined for 3,335 yards rushing and passing and 45 touchdowns as a senior. The 2012 Class 7A Player of the Year threw just one interception in 264 attempts.

Gatewood is another intriguing candidate who has the potential to be a special dual-threat quarterback if he can develop his passing skills. He was more effective as a power-running quarterback in high school, but did combine for 2,568 yards passing and throwing with 28 touchdowns, splitting playing time at the position as a senior. At 6-foot-5 and 237 pounds, Gatewood could be very dangerous on the quarterback powers that Cam Newton ran so effectively in 2010.

Nix is the highest-rated quarterback to sign with Gus Malzahn out of high school and appears college-ready after being tutored by his father, former Auburn quarterback and college offensive coordinator Pat Nix. Bo has dual-threat ability but his strengths are his decision-making, a quick release and a pretty strong arm. Three different true freshmen quarterbacks have played prominent roles at Georgia, Alabama and Clemson the last two seasons, and Nix has the potential to do the same at Auburn.

A couple of things to keep in mind at the position over the next eight months. In today’s growing transfer market, it’s unlikely that all four quarterbacks will still be on the roster, at least at quarterback, by the time the Tigers’ kickoff against Oregon Aug. 31. The ones that finish third or fourth in the competition could be looking to move on sooner than later.

Also, because of their athleticism, it’s not out of the question that Willis or Gatewood or even Sandberg could get a look at another position if they fall behind in the quarterback race.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Willis is a college QB, but I am extremely interested if an NFL team will develop him into a slot receiver if he has the hands.  Thinking like what the Patriots did with college QB Julian Edelman.  Seems to me you gotta find a way to get his skill set on the field.

Cord, still have no opinion. possibly an HB?

Joey, again great skill set as an offensive weapon, he just needs the reps, having two D 1 QB's on his team slowed his development.  I would love to see him develop and be a force.  He could also be a defense shredder if we utilized a tight end. 

Nix has all the tools, but D1 football is a  different ball game.   Hopefully he can adjust to the speed, complexity and show signs of being a good leader.  Too early to tell if adjusts to the next level.

There is a lot of talent and we won't know what we got until we see it in games.  Excited to see how it plays out, I got no favorites.  Just wishing them all the best in the battle.

No matter what a strong offensive line or good blocking scheme is gonna be needed for our new QB

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Nix has all the tools, but D1 football is a  different ball game.   Hopefully he can adjust to the speed, complexity and show signs of being a good leader.  Too early to tell if adjusts to the next level.

"Complexity"....haha, good one.

OH!  You mean in 2020...

Gotcha.

Development is key.  No matter how talented a high school kid is, some skills will need to be honed to be competitive at the D1 level.  Thus far, there is little to no evidence that Gus can do it.  

No way Willis isn’t named the starter at first. Gus’ history tells us the most senior player most comfortable with the playbook will get the initial nod.

Whether or not he holds onto it is a different story.

Just now, Zeek said:

No way Willis isn’t named the starter at first. Gus’ history tells us the most senior player most comfortable with the playbook will get the initial nod.

We’ve seen so little I can’t argue with this. I just think Bo is going to win it pretty early. 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

While I agree this will probably be the case, how do we know how comfortable Malik is with the playbook.   Basically, he only ran one play, the zone read, the entire season.  Thanks Gus and Chip. 

8 minutes ago, alexava said:

We’ve seen so little I can’t argue with this. I just think Bo is going to win it pretty early. 

Possibly so, but with Gus's track record I'm not sure Bo would be winning anything. Gus would most likely limit his playbook considerably and then no one sees what he may be capable of. Man, I hate the distrust Gus has built in the fans. We're hoping for the best and expecting the worst. 

29 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Possibly so, but with Gus's track record I'm not sure Bo would be winning anything. Gus would most likely limit his playbook considerably and then no one sees what he may be capable of. Man, I hate the distrust Gus has built in the fans. We're hoping for the best and expecting the worst. 

Yeah. I also hate the distrust Gus has in his staff and players. 

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

While I agree this will probably be the case, how do we know how comfortable Malik is with the playbook.   Basically, he only ran one play, the zone read, the entire season.  Thanks Gus and Chip. 

Just assuming since he has been THE backup the last two years. If he doesn’t at least mentally know it then it’s his fault at this point.

51 minutes ago, gr82be said:

if we have a great season next year could you, in good conscience, enjoy it?

2 hours ago, alexava said:

This is what I believe will happen. Bo Nix is the real deal.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I could, but that doesn't mean I would still want him as the coach, because history says the next year we have 5 losses again. Until he can cut that down to 3 in consecutive years, I won't be happy with him as a coach, but I would always enjoy us winning

2 hours ago, alexava said:

I'll clear that up for you. I'm not one who is pulling for Auburn to lose to get rid of Gus and I don't think my comment lends itself to that. My distrust of Gus does not mean I'm not rooting for him to pull out of this nosedive. I stayed in his corner much longer than most on here. That said I'd welcome a change in a heartbeat. 

I've said this several times since the regular season ended...let JS go ahead and prepare for the NFL draft (nothing against him) and let the QB's on the team play in the bowl...need as much experience at QB for next season....(find out who can play)....

I'm glad we didn't get Bryant and hope no other transfer QB comes in either. I'm glad Gus said he's calling the plays. Time to see what Gus does with QB's he has brought in and no more charade about who is doing the play calling. 2019 should tell us the real truth about Gus and what he is or isn't and settle(probably not) the endless debate we have on here about him.

10 hours ago, gr82be said:

I'll clear that up for you. I'm not one who is pulling for Auburn to lose to get rid of Gus and I don't think my comment lends itself to that. My distrust of Gus does not mean I'm not rooting for him to pull out of this nosedive. I stayed in his corner much longer than most on here. That said I'd welcome a change in a heartbeat. 

I didn’t intend to ask the question just based on this thread or specifically towards you.  I just remember when the ptb try to backdoor tuberville in 03 and got exposed. Did they really enjoy 04?

11 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Malzahn or no I am excited about the QB race next season. I really hope Gatewood wins the job.

I think Bo wins it easily. But I don’t really hope he does or doesn’t. Just predicting. I have nothing against any of them. Just seeing Bo’s last few games recently gave me the feeling he will be the best we’ve got. 

Others have said they would move JG to a different position. I would not do this. I do think we can use him in situations like wildcat even hb without an all out move from qb. 

The QB race in the Spring will be interesting because the fan’s haven’t seen what our backup QBs can do, other than MW.  The concern is CGM’s ability to evaluate QB talent as example; JJ and signing JFIII and allowing him as many chances to start as Gus did to the determinant of the team.

The new savior of the offense is the “QB coach” who has been doing that job for, maybe, two years.  Does Gus listen to him and/or does he have any experience in evaluating and picking a starting QB?

I would anticapate MW to look the best during the A day game, as he knows the playbook the best.  Gus usually doesn’t name a starter until the “fall” practice and I don’t think he will this year either.  It will make for an interesting summer.

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The QB race in the Spring will be interesting because the fan’s haven’t seen what our backup QBs can do, other than MW.  The concern is CGM’s ability to evaluate QB talent as example; JJ and signing JFIII and allowing him as many chances to start as Gus did to the determinant of the team.

The new savior of the offense is the “QB coach” who has been doing that job for, maybe, two years.  Does Gus listen to him and/or does he have any experience in evaluating and picking a starting QB?

I would anticapate MW to look the best during the A day game, as he knows the playbook the best.  Gus usually doesn’t name a starter until the “fall” practice and I don’t think he will this year either.  It will make for an interesting summer.

Gus is going to determine who starts based on practices in the bowl game and ofc in the spring. I don't feel that the new OC is going to provide strong enough opinions to sway Gus bc he is so new and Gus doesn't listen much to his staff, especially if they are new.

Don't be sure MW looks the best in the spring. He had most of the snaps this past spring since JS was not participating. And his A day was not very good, especially throwing the ball. 

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

I agree on JF3. I don't know what in the world he was doing recruiting him over Jerod Evans. However every other QB he recruited basically could of gone anywhere else they wanted to go. Tyler Queen and Zeke Pike are looked on as terrible Malzahn recruited QBs but even they both had offers from Alabama and Clemson and other power programs so other than JF3, all of the QBs he has recruited, JJ6 included, have had offers from other big time elite programs. So its not like he is bringing in guys left and right that no one wanted.

Also you are correct, our new QB "guru" has taught the position a grand total of 2 years. So just wanted to point that out. Looked like you questioned that number.

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Gus is going to determine who starts based on practices in the bowl game and ofc in the spring. I don't feel that the new OC is going to provide strong enough opinions to sway Gus bc he is so new and Gus doesn't listen much to his staff, especially if they are new.

Don't be sure MW looks the best in the spring. He had most of the snaps this past spring since JS was not participating. And his A day was not very good, especially throwing the ball. 

I agree that Gus will be making the call just like he has done since he has been here.  I’m thinking the QB coach will go along with what Gus’ evaluation without too much resistance.  However, he was hired to coach QBs, so I hope he will have some input before the final decision in the fall.

This Spring the cream should rise to the top, so to speak, as it’s anybody’s job.  Who will show the work ethic and impress the coaching staff is anybody’s guess.  The incumbent is usually the leader going into Spring, we’ll see who exits Spring ahead.

Archived