Roster outlook: Quarterback

ellitor

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I agree on JF3. I don't know what in the world he was doing recruiting him over Jerod Evans. However every other QB he recruited basically could of gone anywhere else they wanted to go. Tyler Queen and Zeke Pike are looked on as terrible Malzahn recruited QBs but even they both had offers from Alabama and Clemson and other power programs so other than JF3, all of the QBs he has recruited, JJ6 included, have had offers from other big time elite programs. So its not like he is bringing in guys left and right that no one wanted.

Also you are correct, our new QB "guru" has taught the position a grand total of 2 years. So just wanted to point that out. Looked like you questioned that number.

Gus has always recruited QBs that could have gone somewhere else, but the evaluating after he has gotten them on campus has been suspect.  That was the point I was trying to make and it looks like he doesn’t have an experienced QB coach to help him with that decision.

Not questioning the experience level at all.  He is another coach that Gus can easily manipulate to his way of thinking.  It is interesting that Dillingham (I believe) was a coach at CCL’s old school, ASU.  I would have liked to hear the conversation between the two about the Auburn job.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listening to the radio this am and they brought Nix up as the real deal and a job saver for Malzahn. Seems that would be asking a lot too soon. Also, having Pat Nix as his dad, does that help ala Manning’s. (No im not saying he’s Peyton Manning but being able to confer daily with his dad, is that helpful?).  This guy was saying he thinks Nix could win the job as a freshmen. 

16 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Listening to the radio this am and they brought Nix up as the real deal and a job saver for Malzahn. Seems that would be asking a lot too soon. Also, having Pat Nix as his dad, does that help ala Manning’s. (No im not saying he’s Peyton Manning but being able to confer daily with his dad, is that helpful?).  This guy was saying he thinks Nix could win the job as a freshmen. 

I do too. 

23 minutes ago, alexava said:

I do too. 

Heard the discussion....don't know the answer....usually I would not be rooting for a freshman to start right away but since we don't know much about our redshirts and backups I guess we will have to wait and see.  

This is from an article on "a O hell.com".    Gatewood has been raved about by several members of his team that spoke with the press this week. Malzahn said Gatewood could see time in the bowl game, behind Jarrett Stidham, who will be playing his final game for Auburn before preparing for the NFL Draft.   This would be a welcomed sight in my opinion if he truly has been turning heads in practice

2 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Problem with this, is that every other QB would probably transfer, leaving us with no back up.

24 minutes ago, gr82be said:

This is from an article on "a O hell.com".    Gatewood has been raved about by several members of his team that spoke with the press this week. Malzahn said Gatewood could see time in the bowl game, behind Jarrett Stidham, who will be playing his final game for Auburn before preparing for the NFL Draft.   This would be a welcomed sight in my opinion if he truly has been turning heads in practice

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c1c01267968694373

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

What was the issue? And... agreed.

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Why couldn't you before?

I have no idea. For some reason once I got this new iPhone it would never let me embed a gif link unto the website . After an update , it is all peachy now.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I have no idea. For some reason once I got this new iPhone it would never let me embed a gif link unto the website . After an update , it is all peachy now.

Well, I did mention it to Tim Cook the other day when we were having a beer. 

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Please.... No teasing.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

About dang time I can post gifs again 

Gifs....also known as gifTs.  Welcome back!

DAG, celebrating his ability to "gif" again with his favorite posters...

qO0yqrh.gif

Understanding optimism on this board is usually dismissed these days as "sunshine pumping", I'm nevertheless very excited about our QB pool. I mean I think we have 3 or 4 guys that could get the job done next season. In fact I don't think QB play OR protection of the QB will be our 2019 issues😳 - rather the OL opening things up enough for these RBs and again the staff failing to use multiple RBs effectively. But I hijack...

6 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Understanding optimism on this board is usually dismissed these days as "sunshine pumping", I'm nevertheless very excited about our QB pool. I mean I think we have 3 or 4 guys that could get the job done next season. In fact I don't think QB play OR protection of the QB will be our 2019 issues😳 - rather the OL opening things up enough for these RBs and again the staff failing to use multiple RBs effectively. But I hijack...

3 or 4 guys that can get the job done? 

Willis - hasn't looked good as a backup QB other then breaking a couple long runs his freshman season

Gatewood - Never played in real game. Split time at QB in highschool

Sandberg - Never played in a real game. Back playing football after 4+ year absense

Nix - Never played in a real game. Highly rated out of HS. How many tFR QBs have had success in the SEC ever?

Not trying to be a dick (and there may be a heisman winner in that list) but what makes you think today that we have 3-4 guys who can play QB next year and "get the job done?" 

11 minutes ago, gravejd said:

3 or 4 guys that can get the job done? 

Willis - hasn't looked good as a backup QB other then breaking a couple long runs his freshman season

Gatewood - Never played in real game. Split time at QB in highschool

Sandberg - Never played in a real game. Back playing football after 4+ year absense

Nix - Never played in a real game. Highly rated out of HS. How many tFR QBs have had success in the SEC ever?

Not trying to be a dick (and there may be a heisman winner in that list) but what makes you think today that we have 3-4 guys who can play QB next year and "get the job done?" 

I am the optimist here. but from how you presented this (which was quite well ) Bo would just have to lose it. There’s no comparison. I think Willis is a good team player but I hope Joey and Cord both are better qbs. Judging from hs films which is virtually all we have, It’s all Bo. I would love to see Joey play this bowl game and play well. That would probably excite me as much as anything possibly could about this race next year. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

I am the optimist here. but from how you presented this (which was quite well ) Bo would just have to lose it. There’s no comparison. I think Willis is a good team player but I hope Joey and Cord both are better qbs. Judging from hs films which is virtually all we have, It’s all Bo. I would love to see Joey play this bowl game and play well. That would probably excite me as much as anything possibly could about this race next year. 

The biggest difference will be a dedicated QB coach.  He has the chance to tap all of their potentials.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

The biggest difference will be a dedicated QB coach.  He has the chance to tap all of their potentials.

It would be best to narrow it down in spring so he can start molding the offense towards the strength of the qb. But that’s probably not realistic. 

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

It would be best to narrow it down in spring so he can start molding the offense towards the strength of the qb. But that’s probably not realistic. 

That would have saved a LOT of heartache over the last few years IMO.

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Optimism = different than sunshine pumping. You're good to go.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:43 AM, tigerman1186 said:

I've said this several times since the regular season ended...let JS go ahead and prepare for the NFL draft (nothing against him) and let the QB's on the team play in the bowl...need as much experience at QB for next season....(find out who can play)....

This makes too much sense so expect JS to play most of the bowl game.

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

Malzahn said Gatewood could see time in the bowl game, behind Jarrett Stidham, who will be playing his final game for Auburn before preparing for the NFL Draft.

PM me if you'd like to make a side bet on the chances of Gatewood playing (not even throwing a pass, but taking a direct snap from center) in the bowl game.  I'll give you decent odds.:D

Archived