Roster outlook: Quarterback

ellitor

There is no doubt ting Ryan Davis is electric with the ball in his hands, but let's not forget the vast overwhelming majority of his receptions were bubble screens, not him running good routes or getting seperation against defenders. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

There is no doubt ting Ryan Davis is electric with the ball in his hands, but let's not forget the vast overwhelming majority of his receptions were bubble screens, not him running good routes or getting seperation against defenders. 

It's because we pigeon hole our receivers and the routes we allow them to run

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

It's because we pigeon hole our receivers and the routes we allow them to run

Agreed, but he isnt the super receiver stud his receptions indicate. From a true WR, route running, not bull**** bubbkes screen standpoint, we didn lose much 

1 minute ago, AUGunsmith said:

Agreed, but he isnt the super receiver stud his receptions indicate. From a true WR, route running, not bull**** bubbkes screen standpoint, we didn lose much 

I agree, but think he could've been if we allowed him more than 2 or 3 routes.  He is a very good receiver.

11 hours ago, oracle79 said:

First, I'll agree that all 4 QB's next year have some very good talent in specific areas.  Now 2 questions for you:

1) What type of offense is Gus going to run next year?

2) Which QB's talent's will best fit that offense and what do you see as those talents? (OK, maybe 3 questions...lol)

I suspect we will be a run first, play action oriented offense next season, because that's Malzahn's style. I think he will go back to playing the strengths of whichever QB he chooses, but that is relevant more with regard to how much the QB will run the ball. If it's Willis, I expect to see something akin to 2013-2014. If it's Gatewood, I expect to see something akin to 2010. If it's Nix, I expect it to be something more like 2017. Nix is probably a better runner and a better decision maker than Stidham. Willis has two years to have picked up the offense, but we would be remiss not to include his legs in the game plan if he starts. Same with Gatewood, only he'll be faking outside and running inside instead of faking inside and running outside.

But none of this matters one bit if we don't get the offensive line up to par. The basic rule of football is that games are won or lost on the line of scrimmage, and while I did see improvement as the unit gelled over the course of the year, depth will be an issue, and if Tega does indeed go pro then we lose our best returning starter.

55 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I suspect we will be a run first, play action oriented offense next season, because that's Malzahn's style. I think he will go back to playing the strengths of whichever QB he chooses, but that is relevant more with regard to how much the QB will run the ball. If it's Willis, I expect to see something akin to 2013-2014. If it's Gatewood, I expect to see something akin to 2010. If it's Nix, I expect it to be something more like 2017. Nix is probably a better runner and a better decision maker than Stidham. Willis has two years to have picked up the offense, but we would be remiss not to include his legs in the game plan if he starts. Same with Gatewood, only he'll be faking outside and running inside instead of faking inside and running outside.

But none of this matters one bit if we don't get the offensive line up to par. The basic rule of football is that games are won or lost on the line of scrimmage, and while I did see improvement as the unit gelled over the course of the year, depth will be an issue, and if Tega does indeed go pro then we lose our best returning starter.

I have long had the impression that Gus values experience over talent. I have also seen every single QB that came to Auburn straight out of HS fail under Gus.  But looking at the roster I think Nix is probably going to be the best prepared to run an offense and read a defense because of his father. But Willis has taken the most snaps so I think he will be the QB. I also think his skill set works best with the limitations Gus brings with his passing game philosophy. Just my own feelings and most might disagree but I feel like Gus is better off playing a true dual threat QB with a basic understanding of reading defense and below average accuracy than trying to make a NFL level pocket passer work within the scheme that Gus has the ability to run. 

edit to add:  Is Gus idea of playing to a QBs strength to switch from more RPO with a dual threat QB to more screens with a Pro Passer? Or is there some other nuance I am missing? 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I agree, but think he could've been if we allowed him more than 2 or 3 routes.  He is a very good receiver.

Possibly. We really don't know much about his downfield ability. With his skill set, he could be very good for someone like the pats though. 

11 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't understand... evaluating players after they are on campus? Are you meaning picking a starter out of the depth chart? I mean most people who complain about Gus and his QB recruiting usually say he can't evaluate QB talent. Well the QBs he brings in have their choice of schools to attend.  If you are going to knock Gus on his QBs, his issue has been player progression, not bringing in talented players. Even the least "talented" QB he has brought in could of gone virtually anywhere they wanted.

Yes, that’s exactly what I mean.  Think back to 2011 when Gus was the OC, he had Frazier, Mosley and Trotter and he couldn’t make up his mind as to who to start all year.  He signed two of the three for that season and the one he didn’t sign was the most successful that year and ultimately won the bowl game.

Fast forward to 2016, he goes out and gets JFIII to start in that year and finally named SW as the starter only to have the 2016 5 QB Monty to start the season against Clemson.  He really didn’t decide to go with SW until the third game.  The next year he goes out and gets Stidham as he has to have a QB that is head and shoulders above the rest to be comfortable in his “trust” of that QB.  He does not develop any QB that he can not “trust”.

This year he goes out and tries to get Kelly Bryant because he hasn’t developed any of his other QBs (a common theme), he didn’t get him, so there will be no QB that is head and shoulders better than the other to start the spring practice.  MW was the backup this year, do you think MW will emerge as the #1 after spring?  I still have the image of Gus blasting MW after a miss read in the Liberty game and then mouthing that this team is dumb and stupid.

The last point I’ll make is his QB coaches.  CRL was on the sidelines and you could see him talk to his QBs face to face.  That is how you coach a young, inexperienced QB.  There are teaching moments you can’t teach at practice and film rooms that a QB coach needs to have that one on one, communicating via a phone just doesn’t do the job adequately. We’re going to have a young, inexperienced QB as a starter this year no matter who it is.  I just can’t see this ending well.

The point about our QBs having other offers, I was listening to ESPNU radio and they mentioned that UTk offered over 400 scholarships this year for 25 slots; who doesn’t have other offers?  It’s not how talented the QB is when he gets here, it’s how he has developed the talent while he is in college, just like any other student. It greatly depends on internal drive to overcome roadblocks in his path to success.

20 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:
3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Possibly. We really don't know much about his downfield ability. With his skill set, he could be very good for someone like the pats though. 

But what RD DID do was show an incredible ability to make defenders miss, run through traffic, and outrun DB's.

Frankly, he might make a next level RB.

5 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

But what RD DID do was show an incredible ability to make defenders miss, run through traffic, and outrun DB's.

Frankly, he might make a next level RB.

Too small. He would be stuck as a situational player. His best shot it a Percy harvin like utility guy. 

On 12/22/2018 at 4:06 PM, AUGunsmith said:

Too small. He would be stuck as a situational player. His best shot it a Percy harvin like utility guy. 

Since Gus returned, he has neutered our receivers and passing game. It is in no way a reflection of Ryan Davis' skillset. He could have and should have been used as a complete receiver. Look at Sammie Coates. The epitome of an NFL frame and talent, yet all we let him do was run go routes and bubble screens. 

On 12/21/2018 at 12:13 PM, Rednilla said:

I don't think Sandberg would, and Gatewood might be amenable to a position change (he did play receiver when he wasn't playing QB in high school).

Also, I kind of expect Nix to win the job. His father, who was also his coach, is a former college offensive coordinator, and Bo just won his second consecutive state championship, so he knows how to lead a team. Also, reports are that he is outstanding at reading defenses.

Now, that having been said, I sincerely hope Dillinger can come in and coach up Joey G., because his potential is through the roof. And having Willis win the job wouldn't be a bad thing, either, as he is (at least) a great athlete who could be a place holder for a year or two while Gatewood, Sandberg, and Nix get their feet under them. However, I just really get the feeling that Bo Nix will be the starting QB by midseason next year. Time will tell, I suppose.

LOL, I just realized you were a mod.  Anyway....

You EXPECT a true freshman to come in and start?  My gods I hope this doesn't pan out, things are much worse than I thought if it ends up happening.

I'd have to say 3 to 4 wins would be our ceiling starting a TFr with the laughable OL we are gonna have. 

Also, can I hit that when you are done?

On 12/22/2018 at 10:05 AM, I_M4_AU said:

Yes, that’s exactly what I mean.  Think back to 2011 when Gus was the OC, he had Frazier, Mosley and Trotter and he couldn’t make up his mind as to who to start all year.  He signed two of the three for that season and the one he didn’t sign was the most successful that year and ultimately won the bowl game.

Fast forward to 2016, he goes out and gets JFIII to start in that year and finally named SW as the starter only to have the 2016 5 QB Monty to start the season against Clemson.  He really didn’t decide to go with SW until the third game.  The next year he goes out and gets Stidham as he has to have a QB that is head and shoulders above the rest to be comfortable in his “trust” of that QB.  He does not develop any QB that he can not “trust”.

This year he goes out and tries to get Kelly Bryant because he hasn’t developed any of his other QBs (a common theme), he didn’t get him, so there will be no QB that is head and shoulders better than the other to start the spring practice.  MW was the backup this year, do you think MW will emerge as the #1 after spring?  I still have the image of Gus blasting MW after a miss read in the Liberty game and then mouthing that this team is dumb and stupid.

The last point I’ll make is his QB coaches.  CRL was on the sidelines and you could see him talk to his QBs face to face.  That is how you coach a young, inexperienced QB.  There are teaching moments you can’t teach at practice and film rooms that a QB coach needs to have that one on one, communicating via a phone just doesn’t do the job adequately. We’re going to have a young, inexperienced QB as a starter this year no matter who it is.  I just can’t see this ending well.

The point about our QBs having other offers, I was listening to ESPNU radio and they mentioned that UTk offered over 400 scholarships this year for 25 slots; who doesn’t have other offers?  It’s not how talented the QB is when he gets here, it’s how he has developed the talent while he is in college, just like any other student. It greatly depends on internal drive to overcome roadblocks in his path to success.

This is good, one addition though:  He chose JFIII over JEROD EVANS.  His QB evaluation is ass, brugh.

33 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

You EXPECT a true freshman to come in and start?  My gods I hope this doesn't pan out, things are much worse than I thought if it ends up happening.

I'd have to say 3 to 4 wins would be our ceiling starting a TFr with the laughable OL we are gonna have. 

I said I kind of expect the true freshman to come in and start. That's only because of who the true freshman is. Bo Nix has won back to back state championships at a school that had never won a state championship in its history. Besides, Jake Fromm came in and started as a true freshman for Georgia last year, and they played for the national championship.

Also, the OL will have a lot more experience next year than it did this year. When Malzahn has been good, he's had an experienced OL starting for him. I don't know that this bunch will live up to that billing, but I do know that at least one of them is considering leaving early because the NFL thinks so highly of him.

1 hour ago, thrustmaxwell said:

What exactly is stopping Bo Nix (who will be here by the end of January) from coming in and winning the job? He’s a student of the game, a father for a coach, and very very good arm talent? True Freshman or not if any true freshman could win a job, I would think it COULD be a former Auburn QB’s 5* son. But who am I to say? OL will be better next season with Brahms having a full healty offseason and Troxell at tackle. 

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I said I kind of expect the true freshman to come in and start. That's only because of who the true freshman is. Bo Nix has won back to back state championships at a school that had never won a state championship in its history. Besides, Jake Fromm came in and started as a true freshman for Georgia last year, and they played for the national championship.

Also, the OL will have a lot more experience next year than it did this year. When Malzahn has been good, he's had an experienced OL starting for him. I don't know that this bunch will live up to that billing, but I do know that at least one of them is considering leaving early because the NFL thinks so highly of him.

Bo Nix may end up being a very good QB, but comparing him to Jake Fromm is ridiculous. For starters, Fromm has/had a much better supporting cast around him. He had 2 NFL RB's in Chubb and Michel, and had a great O-line, great WR's and TE's to throw to last year and still had a great supporting cast this year. Fromm is likely going to go down as possibly the best UGA QB in history before he leaves, even better than Aaron Murray.

Nix isn't going to have near the supporting cast at Auburn that Fromm has at UGA. Stidham isn't that bad of a QB and he regressed this year. Expecting Nix, a true Freshman to be as good or even better than Stidham is really unrealistic. I look at Nix being more like Sean White who's going to will us to 7-5 or 8-4. Stidham was supposed to be the QB that took us to the next level and he almost did that by getting us to the SEC Championship game last year. And Stdham also had a good supporting cast in 2017.

4 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Bo Nix may end up being a very good QB, but comparing him to Jake Fromm is ridiculous. For starters, Fromm has/had a much better supporting cast around him. He had 2 NFL RB's in Chubb and Michel, and had a great O-line, great WR's and TE's to throw to last year and still had a great supporting cast this year. Fromm is likely going to go down as possibly the best UGA QB in history before he leaves, even better than Aaron Murray.

Nix isn't going to have near the supporting cast at Auburn that Fromm has at UGA. Stidham isn't that bad of a QB and he regressed this year. Expecting Nix, a true Freshman to be as good or even better than Stidham is really unrealistic. I look at Nix being more like Sean White who's going to will us to 7-5 or 8-4. Stidham was supposed to be the QB that took us to the next level and he almost did that by getting us to the SEC Championship game last year. And Stdham also had a good supporting cast in 2017.

''i am fairly certain, from the last few days experience, this guy wants no part of reality. 

notRealityCartman.gif

Brandon Wimbush looks like he’s transferring out. He had been hit or miss at Notre Dame but his skill set wouldn’t be a bad fit in the Guster’s offense. Maybe one to keep an eye on, who knows.

You guys need to slow down with Bo and give him room for error. The offense was horrible, believe it or not many D1 qb's won titles and had good records in high school. I don't see anything to make me think Bo is better than Patterson and Daniels from the last couple of classes and they both had to learn during their freshmen years. 

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You guys need to slow down with Bo and give him room for error. The offense was horrible, believe it or not many D1 qb's won titles and had good records in high school. I don't see anything to make me think Bo is better than Patterson and Daniels from the last couple of classes and they both had to learn during their freshmen years. 

Maybe because I’m on the outside looking in now, but you only get yourself burnt expecting things like “a HS senior is already better than any other QB we got” or anything like that 

I don’t have anything against thinking the world of true freshmen, as I believe either Fields or Lawrence could be natty contending QBs almost anywhere 

I just don’t think Nix is THAT good where we should expect the world with him starting 

On 12/21/2018 at 12:13 PM, Rednilla said:

However, I just really get the feeling that Bo Nix will be the starting QB by midseason next year. Time will tell, I suppose.

When was the last time AU had a QB take over the starting spot midseason, outside of an injury to the early season starting QB forcing a backup to step in and start?

Just curious, because it's somewhat of a rarity isn't it?

Archived