Roster outlook: Quarterback

ellitor

1 minute ago, keesler said:

When was the last time AU had a QB take over the starting spot midseason, outside of an injury to the early season starting QB forcing a backup to step in and start?

Just curious, because it's somewhat of a rarity isn't it?

Sean White in 2015?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/23/2018 at 11:32 PM, Auburnfan91 said:

Bo Nix may end up being a very good QB, but comparing him to Jake Fromm is ridiculous. For starters, Fromm has/had a much better supporting cast around him. He had 2 NFL RB's in Chubb and Michel, and had a great O-line, great WR's and TE's to throw to last year and still had a great supporting cast this year. Fromm is likely going to go down as possibly the best UGA QB in history before he leaves, even better than Aaron Murray.

Nix isn't going to have near the supporting cast at Auburn that Fromm has at UGA. Stidham isn't that bad of a QB and he regressed this year. Expecting Nix, a true Freshman to be as good or even better than Stidham is really unrealistic. I look at Nix being more like Sean White who's going to will us to 7-5 or 8-4. Stidham was supposed to be the QB that took us to the next level and he almost did that by getting us to the SEC Championship game last year. And Stdham also had a good supporting cast in 2017.

Bingo!

Fromm had a veteran, seasoned and battled tested corps all around him last year and a knock out defense that carried their share of the load.  Bo Nix won't have any of the accompaniments surrounding him that Fromm enjoyed, and Nix will not have a season/experienced defensive unit he can count on either.  A single/solitary QB can't carry an entire team, he has to have protection and a supporting cast on offense and a killer defense to carry the load.

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sean White in 2015?

Thanks.  

Year where AU finished 6-6 and landed in the B'ham bowl and CGM chalked up his first and only bowl victory.  :cool:

On 12/24/2018 at 12:32 AM, Auburnfan91 said:

Bo Nix may end up being a very good QB, but comparing him to Jake Fromm is ridiculous. For starters, Fromm has/had a much better supporting cast around him. He had 2 NFL RB's in Chubb and Michel, and had a great O-line, great WR's and TE's to throw to last year and still had a great supporting cast this year. Fromm is likely going to go down as possibly the best UGA QB in history before he leaves, even better than Aaron Murray.

Nix isn't going to have near the supporting cast at Auburn that Fromm has at UGA. Stidham isn't that bad of a QB and he regressed this year. Expecting Nix, a true Freshman to be as good or even better than Stidham is really unrealistic. I look at Nix being more like Sean White who's going to will us to 7-5 or 8-4. Stidham was supposed to be the QB that took us to the next level and he almost did that by getting us to the SEC Championship game last year. And Stdham also had a good supporting cast in 2017.

Better than Fran Tarkenton?

4 hours ago, keesler said:

Bingo!

Fromm had a veteran, seasoned and battled tested corps all around him last year and a knock out defense that carried their share of the load.  Bo Nix won't have any of the accompaniments surrounding him that Fromm enjoyed, and Nix will not have a season/experienced defensive unit he can count on either.  A single/solitary QB can't carry an entire team, he has to have protection and a supporting cast on offense and a killer defense to carry the load.

True,  but watching Nix play in HS, he did nit have a decent line to protect him, no great RB, and his other castmates were not at his level either.

11 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

True,  but watching Nix play in HS, he did nit have a decent line to protect him, no great RB, and his other castmates were not at his level either.

I'm not diminishing Nix in the least, he looked phenomenal in HS.   The shear speed of the SEC can't be replicated at the HS level, the kid will need to acclimate and he'll need a top notch QB coach helping him (dad may come in handy.)

I've seen what happens to an experienced QB at the SEC level when he tries to work behind a shaky oline, no SEC caliber RB, and an ineffective rushing attack. Now throw in what will be a decimated Dline, a shaky secondary, a brand new/green OC who's never coached at this level, and another brutal schedule. 

Any true frosh QB will have a tough time.  So far in nearly 10 yrs of coaching, CGM hasn't proven he can develop a HS guy to the point where they can compete in this league.

I think Bo will do well. He is also realistic and if he needs a redshirt year he won’t mind it. He will be a great ace in the hole if we have injuries late in the year. That said I truely belive folks are under estimating the three that we have on board. First we have seen very little of them in game action ( Willis and Cord) and Joey during the spring. Not enough sampling to really grade either way. They all came in with good rankings from high school. I still believe with some coaching up they can be sucessful. As I said before Gus has to put them in a winnable situation. That means the play calling has to improve and be improvised to work for their individual talent. The million dollar question is will Gus do that or continue to run into a brick wall just to prove his offensive philosophy. I think we will see where next year is headed in the bowl game. 

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I think we will see where next year is headed in the bowl game. 

I expect to see Stidham play most of the game, and a ton of defensive players that won't be here next year as well.  Unless AU gains a very comfortable lead, then I think we see sparse PT from the backups. 

Gus needs to feel some serious heat and pressure to win this game.  There's just no excuse for this team to lose this game, they've had weeks to heal up and prepare and they should be happy as hell they made it to a bowl game after having to fight like hell to become eligible.  

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I expect to see Stidham play most of the game, and a ton of defensive players that won't be here next year as well.  Unless AU gains a very comfortable lead, then I think we see sparse PT from the backups. 

Gus needs to feel some serious heat and pressure to win this game.  There's just no excuse for this team to lose this game, they've had weeks to heal up and prepare and they should be happy as hell they made it to a bowl game after having to fight like hell to become eligible.  

I agree what I was referring to is whether  he can create an offense that is sucessful again or if he continues to do what every opposing coaches assumes he will. We if he tries to continue to run his old offense with no updates it will be a total failure. 

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I agree what I was referring to is whether  he can create an offense that is sucessful again or if he continues to do what every opposing coaches assumes he will. We if he tries to continue to run his old offense with no updates it will be a total failure. 

You know as well as anyone that it's not the game plan or the play selection - it's all about perfect execution.  Gus has told us this over and over and over. 

Gus will not "create" a new offense, if he ever had any notion of doing so, he'd have done it a few yrs ago when his ass was red hot.

And he's not running his old offense at all right now, we aren't HUNH, we aren't fast-paced, we aren't a power "run first" offense anymore.:dunno:

From a talent perspective, It looks to me like this will be a Gatewood or Nix decision for Gus. Gus relies on experience more than anything. Which means he will lean toward Willis. He needs to step out of his box with his decision on this.  There seems to be something not right with Malik and the zone read.  Maybe just needs reps. It will be interesting, with no confidence this staff can develop any of the three QBs. At least Bo has his father to help. 

7 minutes ago, tigerrules said:

From a talent perspective, It looks to me like this will be a Gatewood or Nix decision for Gus. Gus relies on experience more than anything. Which means he will lean toward Willis. He needs to step out of his box with his decision on this.  There seems to be something not right with Malik and the zone read.  Maybe just needs reps. It will be interesting, with no confidence this staff can develop any of the three QBs. At least Bo has his father to help. 

Just from the glimpse we saw today Gatewood hasn’t grasped the playbook yet. The lone pass he made was supposed to be a jet sweep. TBH even without seeing him play a snap Bo gives us the best chance to win. Gatewood showed a burst that would make him an incredible threat as a CJ role that also lines up at the wildcat.

2 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Just from the glimpse we saw today Gatewood hasn’t grasped the playbook yet. The lone pass he made was supposed to be a jet sweep. TBH even without seeing him play a snap Bo gives us the best chance to win. Gatewood showed a burst that would make him an incredible threat as a CJ role that also lines up at the wildcat.

In fairness to them, neither Willis nor Gatewood were given a chance to show whether they know the playbook or not.  If they didn't show it because they don't know the playbook, then that is on Gus (and Chip) not on the players.  I'll wait until A-Day to see how they all do.  

Archived