Roster outlook: Quarterback

ellitor

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

PM me if you'd like to make a side bet on the chances of Gatewood playing (not even throwing a pass, but taking a direct snap from center) in the bowl game.  I'll give you decent odds.:D

I'd hate for you to take my money 😁 I really couldn't believe he said it in the first place but I would love to see him play. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, gravejd said:

3 or 4 guys that can get the job done? 

Willis - hasn't looked good as a backup QB other then breaking a couple long runs his freshman season

Gatewood - Never played in real game. Split time at QB in highschool

Sandberg - Never played in a real game. Back playing football after 4+ year absense

Nix - Never played in a real game. Highly rated out of HS. How many tFR QBs have had success in the SEC ever?

Not trying to be a dick (and there may be a heisman winner in that list) but what makes you think today that we have 3-4 guys who can play QB next year and "get the job done?" 

IMHO, with our 2019 WR corp Nix and Sandberg could practically chuck & duck their way to getting the job done - assuming they avoid ints. If he masters the play action, Willis can be an outstanding dually. True, Gatewood is the unknown but teammates talk about him as a freak waiting to explode. (Fwiw Fromm and others have rocked the sec recently as frosh QBs, weinke & others have taken the sandbergs route to stunning college success). 

11 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

IMHO, with our 2019 WR corp Nix and Sandberg could practically chuck & duck their way to getting the job done - assuming they avoid ints. If he masters the play action, Willis can be an outstanding dually. True, Gatewood is the unknown but teammates talk about him as a freak waiting to explode. (Fwiw Fromm and others have rocked the sec recently as frosh QBs, weinke & others have taken the sandbergs route to stunning college success). 

You could say the exact same thing about our 2018 WR corps, especially to start the year. 

This won’t happen but how great would it be to have all the Qbs live at Aday?  I hate seeing those plays called dead when the Qb starts to scramble because with these Qbs it’s not realistic.  Willis breaking a 70 yarder at Aday would be fun.  

I thought Cord would be more in the running at Qb but I haven’t heard peep about him from coaches or players.  I guess he isn’t shaking that rust off very well?

Just now, Win4AU said:

This won’t happen but how great would it be to have all the Qbs live at Aday?

I wish they would but I doubt our coaches want Gatewood running over our D linemen. No contact jerseys confirmed. 

8 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I thought Cord would be more in the running at Qb but I haven’t heard peep about him from coaches or players.  I guess he isn’t shaking that rust off very well?

I wouldn't put too much stock in that yet. Backup QBs don't get a ton of development during the season, especially when you're in full-on crisis management mode every week just trying to get the 1s to get their sh** together. We didn't have the luxury of working our 2s, much less our 3s or 4s. Willis was already in the system and got live action last season, so he was next man up on the very few occasions we could afford to spell Stid. 

As for bowl practices, I've heard good things about Joey from 2 players and nothing much about any of them from coaches. It's not nothing that those guys made their comments, but I always apply a filter to what players say about each other. Especially when one guy has been on campus 2 years, another guy was a super early commit in the previous cycle and it seems like he's already been here 2 years, and the third guy is just some old retired baseball player who showed up in the summer to chaperone on movie night. 

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You could say the exact same thing about our 2018 WR corps, especially to start the year. 

Exactly, 2019 will be the promising 2018 WR corp w/ more experience.

2 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Exactly, 2019 will be the promising 2018 WR corp w/ more experience.

More experience? We're losing a guy who had more receptions than the rest of the team combined each of the last 2 years. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

More experience? We're losing a guy who had more receptions than the rest of the team combined each of the last 2 years. 

Exactly.

Now, just who in the Hades is AU's next QB going to throw his 28.5 WR Bubblescreens per game to???

Question (not to anyone in particular).... If CCL was supposed to open up the passing game and he's gone now.....and Gus is 100% running the O now....What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is the passing game going to look like now?  

WR's to Gus are just like shiny diamond rings.  They may look pretty but they just sit there and do nothing.

Well....they ARE good for blocking on the perimeter, I suppose.

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Exactly.

Now, just who in the Hades is AU's next QB going to throw his 28.5 WR Bubblescreens per game to???

Question (not to anyone in particular).... If CCL was supposed to open up the passing game and he's gone now.....and Gus is 100% running the O now....What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is the passing game going to look like now?  

1. Hastings

2. singleback-pair-tight-twins-four-vertica

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

1. Hastings

2. singleback-pair-tight-twins-four-vertica

That actually makes a lot of sense in Gusland.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You aren't saying we are not returning a great WR group that is 1 more year experienced than they were starting 2018 - are u?

I also get that many here hate gus malzahn with ever fiber of their existence but fact is he has coordinated offenses at times that produced impressive passing numbers - in large part because he IS a run first guy. Premise for "3-4 QBs that could get job done in 2019" comment assumes they will throw to several really good WRs. So if u don't buy into that premise i get why you reject the 3-4 QB opinion.

20 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:
2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You aren't saying we are not returning a great WR group that is 1 more year experienced than they were starting 2018 - are u?

They will be 1 year more experienced at perimeter blocking, that's fer shure!!!

21 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Problem with this, is that every other QB would probably transfer, leaving us with no back up.

I don't think Sandberg would, and Gatewood might be amenable to a position change (he did play receiver when he wasn't playing QB in high school).

Also, I kind of expect Nix to win the job. His father, who was also his coach, is a former college offensive coordinator, and Bo just won his second consecutive state championship, so he knows how to lead a team. Also, reports are that he is outstanding at reading defenses.

Now, that having been said, I sincerely hope Dillinger can come in and coach up Joey G., because his potential is through the roof. And having Willis win the job wouldn't be a bad thing, either, as he is (at least) a great athlete who could be a place holder for a year or two while Gatewood, Sandberg, and Nix get their feet under them. However, I just really get the feeling that Bo Nix will be the starting QB by midseason next year. Time will tell, I suppose.

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

I am not going to do the math, but I think it's entirely possible that we are returning fewer starts than we finished the season with, I am 99% sure we are returning fewer targets and receptions, and I would be absolutely shocked if we are returning more starts this season than we returned at the beginning of last season. Feel free to correct me. 

We are returning Hastings, Seth Williams, The Flash,  Eli Stove, Darius Slayton, Sal Cannella, and a couple inexperienced pass catchers while bringing in some new blood at receiver.

Pickens 

Matthew Hill

Shedrick Jackson

Javorrious 

Kolbi Fuqua

We have a nice blend of returning talent and talented youth if you ask me. 

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I am not going to do the math, but I think it's entirely possible that we are returning fewer starts than we finished the season with, I am 99% sure we are returning fewer targets and receptions, and I would be absolutely shocked if we are returning more starts this season than we returned at the beginning of last season. Feel free to correct me. 

This would be true even if we were only losing one WR who had only started one game. I'm struggling to see what you were trying to get at with this part of the post, unless you were saying next year we are returning less starts than we finished the 2017 season with. 

And as far as I know, the only two receivers we are losing are Nate Craig-Myers, who left midseason, and Ryan Davis. This means that virtually the entire receiving corps will have one more year of development than it did coming into this season, and we add back the experience of Will Hastings to offset the loss of Davis. I think we're better off at receiver next year than we were this year.

12 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

This would be true even if we were only losing one WR who had only started one game. I'm struggling to see what you were trying to get at with this part of the post, unless you were saying next year we are returning less starts than we finished the 2017 season with. 

And as far as I know, the only two receivers we are losing are Nate Craig-Myers, who left midseason, and Ryan Davis. This means that virtually the entire receiving corps will have one more year of development than it did coming into this season, and we add back the experience of Will Hastings to offset the loss of Davis. I think we're better off at receiver next year than we were this year.

Yeah, I think I phrased that poorly. The point is, we are losing the only guy who has consistently caught passes for 2 years now and this comment:

with our 2019 WR corp Nix and Sandberg could practically chuck & duck their way to getting the job done

is crazy. 

If we suddenly have a robust passing offense, it's going to be because Gus changed, not because we have more talent and experience at WR. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, I think I phrased that poorly. The point is, we are losing the only guy who has consistently caught passes for 2 years now and this comment:

is crazy. 

If we suddenly have a robust passing offense, it's going to be because Gus changed, not because we have more talent and experience at WR. 

That's a fair point, although I disagree with it. Not that Gus has to change for us to have a stellar passing game, but we have to have better protection from the offensive line for it to happen. If the O-line improves, then the rest of the offense improves with it, regardless of who is calling the plays or who we have manning the skill positions.

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

That's a fair point, although I disagree with it. Not that Gus has to change for us to have a stellar passing game, but we have to have better protection from the offensive line for it to happen. If the O-line improves, then the rest of the offense improves with it, regardless of who is calling the plays or who we have manning the skill positions.

Oh, yes, we will definitely need better play from the OL, which also goes back to the guy in charge. Still not a matter of our WRs suddenly being way better, though.

Let me put this another way.

Ryan Davis had 173 career receptions. The rest of the returning scholarship WRs combined have a total of 229. 

Slayton is next after Davis with 76 career receptions. Davis had more than that in 2017 alone. And Davis had more catches in 2018 than either Stove or Hastings, the next two after Slayton, have for their careers. 

We are absolutely dripping with talent at WR... just like we have been for several years. If we start working the entire field and actually take advantage of this group's talent, it will be because Gus changed his philosophy. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, yes, we will definitely need better play from the OL, which also goes back to the guy in charge. Still not a matter of our WRs suddenly being way better, though.

Let me put this another way.

Ryan Davis had 173 career receptions. The rest of the returning scholarship WRs combined have a total of 229. 

Slayton is next after Davis with 76 career receptions. Davis had more than that in 2017 alone. And Davis had more catches in 2018 than either Stove or Hastings, the next two after Slayton, have for their careers. We are absolutely dripping with talent at WR... just like we have been for several years. If we start working the entire field and actually take advantage of this group's talent, it will be because Gus changed his philosophy. 

I wasn't exactly disagreeing that Gus would have to change philosophy to utilize all the talent in the receiving corps, I was merely pointing out that the line has to provide better protection for it to happen (not disagreeing that that's on Gus, as well). However, the bone of contention I would have is that if Gus can get the running game up to the speed it's been for most of his career, the passing game would open up. Defensive linemen wouldn't be able to pin their ears back the same, linebackers and defensive backs couldn't blitz or drop solely into coverage without accounting for the run first, and a QB like Bo Nix would be able to read and react to where the soft spots existed. Remember, Cam Newton threw for more than 2,800 yards during his Heisman campaign, and even Chris Todd threw for more than 2,600 the year before, so when Malzahn's offense is really clicking, it's not just the run game that is successful.

6 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I wasn't exactly disagreeing that Gus would have to change philosophy to utilize all the talent in the receiving corps, I was merely pointing out that the line has to provide better protection for it to happen (not disagreeing that that's on Gus, as well). However, the bone of contention I would have is that if Gus can get the running game up to the speed it's been for most of his career, the passing game would open up. Defensive linemen wouldn't be able to pin their ears back the same, linebackers and defensive backs couldn't blitz or drop solely into coverage without accounting for the run first, and a QB like Bo Nix would be able to read and react to where the soft spots existed. Remember, Cam Newton threw for more than 2,800 yards during his Heisman campaign, and even Chris Todd threw for more than 2,600 the year before, so when Malzahn's offense is really clicking, it's not just the run game that is successful.

...and in those seasons, we still weren't a robust passing team. Nor have we been at any point that Gus has been here. Better than most Auburn teams? Sure, but that's like being the prettiest girl in Tuscaloosa. But I'm not sure why or to whom you're offering this argument. 

Sooooo, anyway. We're not going to be able to just "chuck and duck" in 2019 because of enhanced talent or experience at WR. 

8 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I don't think Sandberg would, and Gatewood might be amenable to a position change (he did play receiver when he wasn't playing QB in high school).

Also, I kind of expect Nix to win the job. His father, who was also his coach, is a former college offensive coordinator, and Bo just won his second consecutive state championship, so he knows how to lead a team. Also, reports are that he is outstanding at reading defenses.

Now, that having been said, I sincerely hope Dillinger can come in and coach up Joey G., because his potential is through the roof. And having Willis win the job wouldn't be a bad thing, either, as he is (at least) a great athlete who could be a place holder for a year or two while Gatewood, Sandberg, and Nix get their feet under them. However, I just really get the feeling that Bo Nix will be the starting QB by midseason next year. Time will tell, I suppose.

First, I'll agree that all 4 QB's next year have some very good talent in specific areas.  Now 2 questions for you:

1) What type of offense is Gus going to run next year?

2) Which QB's talent's will best fit that offense and what do you see as those talents? (OK, maybe 3 questions...lol)

On 12/16/2018 at 2:16 PM, I_M4_AU said:

Gus has always recruited QBs that could have gone somewhere else, but the evaluating after he has gotten them on campus has been suspect.  That was the point I was trying to make and it looks like he doesn’t have an experienced QB coach to help him with that decision.

Not questioning the experience level at all.  He is another coach that Gus can easily manipulate to his way of thinking.  It is interesting that Dillingham (I believe) was a coach at CCL’s old school, ASU.  I would have liked to hear the conversation between the two about the Auburn job.

I don't understand... evaluating players after they are on campus? Are you meaning picking a starter out of the depth chart? I mean most people who complain about Gus and his QB recruiting usually say he can't evaluate QB talent. Well the QBs he brings in have their choice of schools to attend.  If you are going to knock Gus on his QBs, his issue has been player progression, not bringing in talented players. Even the least "talented" QB he has brought in could of gone virtually anywhere they wanted.

On 12/20/2018 at 4:58 PM, gravejd said:

3 or 4 guys that can get the job done? 

Willis - hasn't looked good as a backup QB other then breaking a couple long runs his freshman season

Gatewood - Never played in real game. Split time at QB in highschool

Sandberg - Never played in a real game. Back playing football after 4+ year absense

Nix - Never played in a real game. Highly rated out of HS. How many tFR QBs have had success in the SEC ever?

Not trying to be a dick (and there may be a heisman winner in that list) but what makes you think today that we have 3-4 guys who can play QB next year and "get the job done?" 

Willis, 100% agree. 

Gatewood, why do people have such a difficult time remembering that it wasn't some nobody QB Gatewood split time with? Yes, Gatewood split time at QB. He split the job with another D1 talent. The kid he split time with is now playing at Boise State. So it's not like Gatewood just couldn't cut it in high school as a QB. Gatewoods coach would of done an injustice to Riley Smith had he not let them split time.

Agree on Cord and Nix.

However there have been some successful TF QBs as of late. Fromm did pretty well last year. Jake Bentley did well as a TF. Jalen Hurts did well as a TF. Jacob Eason did well as a TF. Sam Ehlinger did extremely well as a TF at Texas. Lamar Jackson did well as a TF at Louisville. I don't expect Bo to take over in 2019, but to suggest it doesn't happen is silly.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:04 PM, oracle79 said:

PM me if you'd like to make a side bet on the chances of Gatewood playing (not even throwing a pass, but taking a direct snap from center) in the bowl game.  I'll give you decent odds.:D

Gatewood may play. I don't know if he will or not. I certainly won't hold my breath, but even if Gatewood plays, there is pretty much 0% chance he takes a direct snap from under center as we rarely ever take direct snaps from under center being a shotgun team...

Archived