re-evaluate how unclutch Gus has been

Dual-Threat Rigby

2 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Man I think you are remembering Tubs wrong. A ton of his losses were blowouts....2000 Florida twice, 01 Arkansas and Bama, 02 Arkansas, 03 like 4 games, 05 Wisconsin, 06 Arkansas and Uga, 07 Uga, 08 probably multiple games I dont recall. And many of those other games were not one possession games and we looked bad in them. I do agree on Dye though. Seems like there was a 4 year period from 86 to 89 where we only 7 games and only had maybe one loss was by more than one td.  That's what I want for Au now. 

Blow outs are one thing.   Looking like a rec league  pee wee team  almost every game is completely different.

I am not a huge CTT fan,  and I may be remembering tubs wrong,  but I do not ever remember thinking "this doesn't even look like football"  or "this is the  unorganised football I have ever seen."      I almost never thought "we do not stand a chance in an upcoming game"   under tubs.  Even at our worst under TT  I always believed we had a chance.   Under gus I go into every game wondering if we can win and /hoping/wishing  we can pull it out.   Even the cupcake games.      TT also had a lot of games where we looked dominant and in control.  Even TT's worst games the team at least resembled real football.    Gus teams almost never look in control,  even when we are up BIG  against a cupcake.      CTT  took over a team that was in shambles.   Gus took over a team that won a NC  2 years prior.  

I have NO confidence in a gus fielded team.  Gus has  destroyed my love of watching AU football.  Something I NEVER thought could happen.   I can't wait til Gus is gone.  I miss Auburn football being exciting. 

Crap play,   Illegal procedure,  crap play,  3rd and long.   Pass behind the line for a loss.  PUNT.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Who told you this lie?  Tuberville built his team to take down juggernauts, like UF, but for some reason he would crap the bed once or twice a season against mediocre competition.  And there were the "preseason" games where we would come out looking completely unprepared and unable to adjust to the simplest of schemes.  Sometimes the OL had no answer to twists or stunts, sometimes the D couldn't handle counters and traps.  One of the bad Arkansas losses came partly because the staff decided to change to some weird front alignment on D resulting in them having a career rushing day.

Was Muschamp the DC when Arky ran all over us? I’ve blocked it out of my memory. 

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Blow outs are one thing.   Looking like a rec league  pee wee team  almost every game is completely different.

I am not a huge CTT fan,  and I may be remembering tubs wrong,  but I do not ever remember thinking "this doesn't even look like football"  or "this is the  unorganised football I have ever seen."      I almost never thought "we do not stand a chance in an upcoming game"   under tubs.  Even at our worst under TT  I always believed we had a chance.   Under gus I go into every game wondering if we can win and /hoping/wishing  we can pull it out.   Even the cupcake games.      TT also had a lot of games where we looked dominant and in control.  Even TT's worst games the team at least resembled real football.    Gus teams almost never look in control,  even when we are up BIG  against a cupcake.      CTT  took over a team that was in shambles.   Gus took over a team that won a NC  2 years prior.  

I have NO confidence in a gus fielded team.  Gus has  destroyed my love of watching AU football.  Something I NEVER thought could happen.   I can't wait til Gus is gone.  I miss Auburn football being exciting. 

Crap play,   Illegal procedure,  crap play,  3rd and long.   Pass behind the line for a loss.  PUNT.

The complete lack of offensive fortitude under Gus is the most concerning part. Feeling like we have no chance to score a lot of points if plan A doesnt work is the most depressing part. Tubs early career was that way until he got Borges. Then we had a good few year run until we started regressing due to talent depletion. Even then, Borges was good at putting together good play calling for that one drive we needed to win the game. Gus cant do that. When the offense stalls, there is generally slim to no hope. See 2015 2016 uga games as perfect examples. Hell, or 2016 or 2017 Clemson games. Gus s offense is so damn inflexible (at least from the ability to adjust and effectively execute) that almost all hope is lost in close games in which the o struggles. So I hear ya there. 

5 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Man I think you are remembering Tubs wrong. A ton of his losses were blowouts....2000 Florida twice, 01 Arkansas and Bama, 02 Arkansas, 03 like 4 games, 05 Wisconsin, 06 Arkansas and Uga, 07 Uga, 08 probably multiple games I dont recall. And many of those other games were not one possession games and we looked bad in them. I do agree on Dye though. Seems like there was a 4 year period from 86 to 89 where we only 7 games and only had maybe one loss was by more than one td.  That's what I want for Au now. 

Tubs was also terrible in 11am games. The team was sleep walking through most of them.

• WarTiger changed the title to re-evaluate how unclutch Gus has been
20 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Who told you that about Tubs? It was the opposite. He won the ones he should not of won and lost the ones he should of won. There was never a better big game coach AT AU than Tubs. Unfortunately he lost to mediocre Arkansas and Georgia teams too much.

I agree except for the arky and uga comment. Other than '01 arky ,'06 uga, and '08 teams we lost to the rest either played in atl or finished with double digit wins. He had a knack for losing games that decided whether we played in atl or not. Ultimately 3 games kept us from Atlanta in 05 through 07, LSU, uga, and LSU again.

Tubs made Arkansas the scariest team on the schedule every year.  If he hadn’t put that winning streak up against Bama I’m not sure he would have been viewed any better than Gus.

3 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Even TT's worst games the team at least resembled real football.  

'01 Syracuse, '01 IB, '02 arky, it took us 3 weeks in '03 to score a touchdown, WVU took us to the woodshed in the 2nd half in '08. I get what you mean but there were a few games where we looked like we could've lost to brantley high school.

Seems like everyone wants to think tubs was aces...he wasn’t even close.     It took a botched attempt to have him replaced for him to put together a great year.    Hated to see him hired. Just like when they hired chizik and Gus 

Auburn hasn't been a team that is well prepared or attention to detail in a long time.

Sloppy, poor technique, confused and undisciplined is more the norm. There have been exceptions of course but they are few and far between.

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Tubs made Arkansas the scariest team on the schedule every year.  If he hadn’t put that winning streak up against Bama I’m not sure he would have been viewed any better than Gus.

Maybe he got to hunt without a license up there if they won. :dunno:

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Seems like everyone wants to think tubs was aces...he wasn’t even close.     It took a botched attempt to have him replaced for him to put together a great year.    Hated to see him hired. Just like when they hired chizik and Gus 

Agree. I didn't like the hiring of Tuberville either. Bowden resigns under pressure during a terrible season and we hire the one coach that he beat. 

Archived