WR Ryan Davis: ‘there’s a place for me in the NFL’

aubiefifty

Auburn WR Ryan Davis: ‘there’s a place for me in the NFL’

Updated Dec 15, 2:11 PM; Posted Dec 15, 2:09 PM

Auburn wide receiver Ryan Davis runs after making a reception during an SEC game against Mississippi State on Oct. 6, 2018, at Davis Wade Stadium in Starkville, Miss. (Jonathan Bachman)

24 shares

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

SBlum@al.com

Ryan Davis might have been the heart of Auburn’s offense — breaking the program record for number of receptions. But he’s far from this team’s top NFL prospect.

The senior is just 5-foot-9 and 185 pounds. He didn’t touch the end zone this season and many of his catches were on shorter routes. He won’t be playing in the Senior Bowl, instead accepting an invite to the East-West Shrine Game in St. Petersburg, Florida — his hometown. The game is on Jan. 19.

Davis, who also served as Auburn’s punt returner, said on Friday night that he’s determined to showing his capabilities and earning a spot at the next level.

“I just want to show that I’m an all-around receiver,” Davis said. “I know a lot of people get the misconception that I’m a short-yardage guy or someone who can’t really run routes. Not big enough. But I definitely feel like there’s a place for me in the NFL — whether it’s on special teams, punt return, or just in the slot, doing different things.”

Davis had 64 catches for 523 yards and zero touchdowns this season, after having five TDs last season. He returned 21 punts with a long of 48 yards in the Sept. 22 game against Arkansas. Davis also threw for two touchdowns on trick plays. Davis had 173 receptions in his Auburn career, with one game left to play, against Purdue in the Music City Bowl on Dec. 28.

As a whole, his stats were down significantly this season. He averaged just 8.2 yards per catch, compared to 9.7 last season. He’s had 20 fewer receptions and 292 fewer yards, in two fewer games.

Still, there are important games left for him to show an NFL team should give him his chance.

“I know people probably haven’t seen a lot of stuff deep down the field, but I want to show I’m an all-around receiver who can play any position, whether it’s inside or outside,” Davis said. “You can line me in the backfield. I feel like I’m a versatile guy, and I just want to show how versatile I am. I feel like I can do everything.”

Can't believe he didn't have a TD this year. That's ludicrous.  Hope he is given the opportunity to light Purdue up. 

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Can't believe he didn't have a TD this year. That's ludicrous.  Hope he is given the opportunity to light Purdue up. 

His TD's last year were ALL him.  Nothing his QB really did special.

Basically, his yardage should be counted as Rushing Yardage since he pretty much only gets WR Bubblescreens.

That's why I'm so impressed with him.  He makes people miss and earns every yard.  He should be a tremendous NFL asset.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'm dialing up a wr screen right now!

Wildcat, jet sweep we just can’t let our best receiver finish with more td passes than receptions. 

He'll make roster without a doubt in my opinion.

Kid was the most electric player we had, and was grossly underutilized. He would have been a matchup nightmare on underneath crossing routes in a real offense that is capable of putting their weapons to use.

7 hours ago, alexava said:

Patriots! I know he’s not white but he’s got the same look as their  little white slot receivers. 

Belichick loves the Ryan Davis types . He will find a home and be a very successful player in the nfl 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

He's almost the exact same size as Antonio Brown, Tyreek Hill, Emmanuel Sanders... 

SO!

I'm almost the size of Santa Claus!  Beat THAT!!

😁

Seriously though, much like my impression of Worm, RD is just pure effort & speed.  There's PLENTY room for that in the NFL!

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

SO!

I'm almost the size of Santa Claus!  Beat THAT!!

A+ work, my friend. 

Seriously though, much like my impression of Worm, RD is just pure effort & speed.  There's PLENTY room for that in the NFL!

I remember seeing him late in 2016 and making a mental note. Absolutely electric with the ball in his hands. He's no Tyreek Hill because only Tyreek Hill is Tyreek Hill, but I could see him on that next rung in the right offense. 

On 12/16/2018 at 10:16 AM, AUDevil said:

Seems like this guy runs so many short yardage plays, you could fake it to him and catch him deep a couple of times.

Good joke, Devil. If it's not Slayton going deep nobody is.

i will have this young mans auto rookie card when it comes out.

I am surprised we couldn't get this electric playmaker a TD this season. 

His play against TAMU was awesome though 

I think he could find a spot in the NFL if a team could use him similar to the way Taylor Gabriel is used.  Gabriel played on the Falcons and is on the Bears now.  They use him on a lot of screens, crossing routes and some sweeps too. Get him the ball in some space and he'll do the rest 

2 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

I think he could find a spot in the NFL if a team could use him similar to the way Taylor Gabriel is used.  Gabriel played on the Falcons and is on the Bears now.  They use him on a lot of screens, crossing routes and some sweeps too. Get him the ball in some space and he'll do the rest 

Hoo boy, that dude is fast. 

On 12/16/2018 at 1:29 PM, creed said:

He'll make roster without a doubt in my opinion.

How are the draft guys projecting him right now?

What teams and what round do they think he'll get drafted in?

14 hours ago, keesler said:

How are the draft guys projecting him right now?

What teams and what round do they think he'll get drafted in?

The report i saw didn't show a round of teams. Probably too early for that. But the report provides an analysis of his talent. Pros were speedy, dynamic, elusive and consistent receiver. Cons were size, strength and limited vertical experience. 

Archived