ESPN top 100 draft prospects

92AU

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, 92AU said:

Not an AU player in the top 100. Kind of surprised.

Can't see where a date is to see when this was actually done. Plus ESPN supposedly isn't known to be one of the better resources on NBA Draft stock stuff.

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Can't see where a date is to see when this was actually done. Plus ESPN supposedly isn't known to be one of the better resources on NBA Draft stock stuff. anything.

FTFY

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Can't see where a date is to see when this was actually done. Plus ESPN supposedly isn't known to be one of the better resources on NBA Draft stock stuff.

The fact that it has Zion #1 and Bol Bol in the top five suggests to me that it’s been written fairly recently. Since both of those guys are pretty unique prospects, draft guys were hesitant to project them highly until they saw how they’ve played in college. Both are dominating so there they are at the top.

but you’re right. None of the write ups include any stats from this season so who knows

1 hour ago, 92AU said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable

Not an AU player in the top 100. Kind of surprised.

Not me....I only pay scant attention to NBA but don't see anyone on our team who is playing well enough to be drafted in 2019.   Some who might play some day but not 2019.  

At the risk of having Cole agree with me I will suggest that we don't have any one on the team able to shoot near well enough to play in the NBA.  ..and that goes for Heron who is a good college player and might make NBA some day but I don't see what position he could play. 

JMO but I like the list with no AU names.....and hope that means that our guys will concentrate on playing some good team ball and not worry about trying to impress NBA scouts. 

I could see Harper being a late flyer if he keeps this up at this pace for a whole year (bit of redundancy for emphasis) 

his frame is gonna scare a few scouts off that otherwise would be enamored with his game, but his 3 pt ability combined with very solid floor vision, and one of the quickest first steps in the game....I could see that being a latter 2nd round type of package

depending on if Purifoy can show even a slight improvement on his freshman year in terms of scoring skill set, he could also be a late flyer. I just don’t think him and Wiley have the girth of touches they need to look like nba guys, even though the talent is there 

I’m expecting Wiley to go, but primarily cuz “people” think he’s supposed to go.  Whether he should or not is debatable, but I think Harper is next most likely- kind of one of those deals where the hype will be as good as it’ll get.

im thinking Okeke and Purifoy are back because they have growth that is needed.  They just might be freaks next year.  I’ve Said that about Okeke already but not Purifoy.

our program would benefit in the long run with guys getting drafted as soon as possible.

47 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

our program would benefit in the long run with guys getting drafted as soon as possible.

Maybe...but it's pretty well established that if a player does not get drafted in the first round he might as well stay in college...… JMO but AU might have an occasional first round pick, the program could be strong year after year without guys leaving early.   

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/houston-barber/where-are-all-the-second-_b_9722192.html

I could see Wiley moving into this list as the season goes forward. He looked good against UAB when he got the ball. We need to be able to flip that switch faster and go inside sooner when our outside shots won't fall. It takes way to long for the guards to see that its not their night and we gotta try something different. 

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

I could see Wiley moving into this list as the season goes forward. He looked good against UAB when he got the ball. We need to be able to flip that switch faster and go inside sooner when our outside shots won't fall. It takes way to long for the guards to see that its not their night and we gotta try something different. 

JMO but Wiley will need to play more than 15 or 20 minutes a game to impress the NBA and keep in mind that at 6'-11 " he's usually been the biggest guy on the floor in the games he's played. 

Calling it right now, Harper is the next Russell Westbrook.  Maybe a little more toned down emotionally on the court though.  Would be even happier to see OKC take him if Shroder does not return next season.

Talent wise Chuma could play in the NBA but until he becomes more assertive he will not be drafted by the NBA. Wiley has the size and can run the floor but must become dominant on the boards before he would be drafted. As the season progresses I can see Wiley becoming more dominant and work himself into a draftable NBA player.  Chuma defers to Harper and Brown maybe by next year or later this year he will take the next step. For this team to go far in the  playoffs we need Chuma and Wiley to both get more touches and take advantage of them. 

At this time I agree with ESPN we have nobody who NBA would draft at this time. But the season is not over and things could change.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

JMO but Wiley will need to play more than 15 or 20 minutes a game to impress the NBA and keep in mind that at 6'-11 " he's usually been the biggest guy on the floor in the games he's played. 

I agree and I also think we'll see his minutes increase as the season goes along. He is so far the best inside option we have

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Calling it right now, Harper is the next Russell Westbrook.  Maybe a little more toned down emotionally on the court though.  Would be even happier to see OKC take him if Shroder does not return next season.

What? Not to go all Cole on you but they’re totally different players. Not just playing style but also in size as well 

3 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

What? Not to go all Cole on you but they’re totally different players. Not just playing style but also in size as well 

No worries, no offense taken.  Westbrook is only 1” taller and they both drive to the basket like a bull out of the gates.  They also can either delegate of put the team on their backs if need be.  I would say they are very similar.  I may not know basketball as well as many on here, but I feel like I know Westbrook very well as I watch every game of theirs that is televised.  Avid OKC fan here!

7 hours ago, abw0004 said:

No worries, no offense taken.  Westbrook is only 1” taller and they both drive to the basket like a bull out of the gates.  They also can either delegate of put the team on their backs if need be.  I would say they are very similar.  I may not know basketball as well as many on here, but I feel like I know Westbrook very well as I watch every game of theirs that is televised.  Avid OKC fan here!

Westbrook is 6'3"and the second most athletic PG in the league. One of the best two way PG.  He simply can do things Harper will NEVER be able to do. They really aren't similar at all. Harper is a better shooting but worse ball handler version of Irish cannan....and that's a maybe. 

When judging a player things like putting a team on their backs isn't something to measure. There are guys we don't even know playing for a school that we don't know that does that. 

Westbrook is also a defensive monster. If Harper really was a Steph curry or Russell Westbrook he would be talked about every single day....he'd be a first round pick. He would basically be unstoppable against any defense

7 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

You mention me every single day. I don't ever think about you at all. If you don't talk about me I ignore your post, IMO you seem like a great fan but it just leads to you going over board and saying things about basketball that's just not factual. We don't have anything in common to talk about.....surely your energy would be better used in doing your guy scores 20 so he's the best player in the world thing. Because we aren't used to being good at basketball you actually have quite a few that will follow you in that logic. Talk to them. I don't EVER talk about you. I don't care about you. So I don't mention you. I hate when people link me to you. So how bout you just do like me and let's just ignore each other? 

On 12/16/2018 at 2:08 PM, AU64 said:

Not me....I only pay scant attention to NBA but don't see anyone on our team who is playing well enough to be drafted in 2019.   Some who might play some day but not 2019.  

At the risk of having Cole agree with me I will suggest that we don't have any one on the team able to shoot near well enough to play in the NBA.  ..and that goes for Heron who is a good college player and might make NBA some day but I don't see what position he could play. 

JMO but I like the list with no AU names.....and hope that means that our guys will concentrate on playing some good team ball and not worry about trying to impress NBA scouts. 

I absolutely agree with you. You know how in football we overstate things? Like our freshmen wr are the best freshmen in the country, when Purdue has a freshman that showed more in one game than our guys did the entire year. Because of the sheer joy of finally being good at basketball compounded by us sucking at football right now you have people who usually don't care about basketball doing the same.

So we forget how much of an elite level of a player you have to be to play in the NBA. To even get looked at you have to have something you do as a player that's extraordinary. Something that an entire team could focus on you doing but you are still able to do it consistently anyway. We don't have anyone.

The reason chumma may end up being that guy is because if he's totally disengaged offensively he still effects the game with his length. He causes problems defensively, he makes the opposing defense have to do things they don't want like open up the lane. He's able to switch on pick and rolls and be effective, he's a good passer who can see over his defender and find open men. He adjusts shots. He can run people off the 3 point line.....many things. 

But lately people may not even watch the game just want to look at the stats and crown people king. That's not how it works. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Westbrook is 6'3"and the second most athletic PG in the league. One of the best two way PG.  He simply can do things Harper will NEVER be able to do. They really aren't similar at all. Harper is a better shooting but worse ball handler version of Irish cannan....and that's a maybe. 

When judging a player things like putting a team on their backs isn't something to measure. There are guys we don't even know playing for a school that we don't know that does that. 

Westbrook is also a defensive monster. If Harper really was a Steph curry or Russell Westbrook he would be talked about every single day....he'd be a first round pick. He would basically be unstoppable against any defense

With all due respect as you know I do respect your posts, Westbrook wasn't known for his defensive prowness.  And I am also comparing to what Harper could be.  We need to consider Westbrook is 30, and Harper is what, 21?  It would be better to compare Westbrook when he was a rookie when he was 1" shorter and only 5 pounds heavier.  In his first year in the league his play was much different.  Westbrook was not a highly recruited person in high school either.  The UCLA coach had to be convinced to give him the last roster spot.

I do still stand behind my comments that Harper could be the next Westbrook, and that is a complement too.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don’t know about Westbrook but you really can’t see the comparison between steph curry and Harper? I know Harper is not an all nba player like curry...but both play PG. both are smaller guys. Both have excellent range. Both are super quick and shifty. Harper likely won’t reach Curry’s level but no shame in that cause curry is one of the best in the world. 

And you hate on brown and say he is only successful because he has a green light like no one else. Well what kind of stats do you think Harper would have if he played for Davidson? I bet he’d have 40+ a game like curry did when he was there. 

I don’t know maybe some of you guys expected the season to go differently but this team is about right where I thought they would be and so far the record is better then I expected. We aren’t perfect but we are a damn good team with damn good players and they need to be recognized as such. Especially by their own fans

Archived