This will be an unpopular opinion

CameronCrazy

After Malzahn goes 8-5 again next year, my vote is to throw $8 million at Urban Meyer. Now hear me out...  I’m dead serious about this and I think we can offer Urban what he really wants.

Urban wants to prove that he’s the best. After sitting out a year, the OSU mess will blow over and Urban will have yet another chance to recharge the batteries. .He now knows that he can’t get into the playoff by just winning the Big 10. He’s been shutout 2 years in a row. He has to get back in the SEC if he wants a chance to win another championship.

In order to be the best, he has to prove once and for all that he is the only one that can beat Saban. Not Kirby Smart, not Dabo, but Urban is the one that owns a 2-1 career record against Saban. And yet, Saban is viewed as the better coach because of the championships. 

Urban Meyer knows this will his last chance to salvage his name, reputation, and legacy, so I believe we can convince him to run this program the right way with Allan Greene watching him like a hawk.

His ego knows he dominated Jim Harbaugh in the 2nd biggest rivalry in college football. The next step is to come to Auburn and dominate Saban in THE biggest rivalry in college football. Auburn still has the talent. We are in a hotbed of recruiting, and Meyer knows how to recruit Georgia and Florida.

Let’s get this done Allan Greene!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Urban is a slimeball. I'll pass on having Auburn permanently stained by being his 3rd cycle of the win-lose-scandal-fake illness routine. 

I don’t think he wants to be remembered that way. I think he wants to go out on top and I think Auburn gives him that unique opportunity. 

Secondly, is Florida and Ohio State permanently stained by his routine. No. Florida made the wrong hires in Muschamp and McElwain but they are bouncing by back now with Mullen. And I personally think OSU will smoothly transition with Ryan Day.

Bruce Pearl had a “show-cause” against him. We also survived another FBI-NCAA scandal under his watch. We endured it, and now he will take Auburn to heights that it’s never seen in basketball. Sometimes you have to take chances in order to get the best coaches. We would ever had a chance to land Bruce Pearl without the show-clause.

Name one other established coach that chose to come to Auburn? Shrug was a UGA assistant, Dye came from Wyoming, Bowden came from Samford, Tuberville came from Ole Miss, Chizik cake from Iowa St, and Malzahn came from Arkansas St. We have the opportunity (for the reasons listed above) to land one of the very best recruiters and coaches in college football history. I’m willing to take that risk.

13 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Urban is a slimeball. I'll pass on having Auburn permanently stained by being his 3rd cycle of the win-lose-scandal-fake illness routine. 

Yeah he may be a slime ball but I’m not gonna lie if we had a 7 year run like the pic below with a 5-2 record against saban, 6 conference championships and a natty I could deal with it. Make Allen Greene keep a close eye. 

6C3C0751-9453-4BA7-8F90-895FD9778712.png

He already ran away from Nick Saban once.  Why would he come back to join the direct rival of Saban's team?

I don't buy the "heart issue" at UF since tOSU job came open (with no chief competition at the time) and suddenly he was fine.

Urban does have a "heart issue" alright.  A "No Heart" issue.  He's a Front Runner.

Pass...

1 hour ago, yngwie1995 said:

I haven't liked him since the Wes Byrum incident. 

What incident? You mean because he called a last second timeout with the game on the line? That was a good coaching move, and the only defensive move he had left in that situation.

I'm not going to sit here and speculate about a mans physical health. I do know that Meyer has been a winner everywhere he has been, and is one of the top 5 coaches that I have seen in my lifetime. Personally I think he is probably done with coaching. He just did not look like a healthy man last time I saw him on the sidelines. I do agree with the OP that Meyer would definitely be the best coach Auburn could ever hope for at this present day, but would never expect it to come to pass.

Is there really a discussion about wanting to hire someone who protected those that abused women?  Seriously?

Urban Meyer wouldn't last through his first contract. I think the pressure in the SEC is far greater than what he has in the Big Ten. He has Mich's number so who else does he have to deal with?

In the SEC, he would have to deal w Alabama and Georgia every year. So no way he would come to AU....

34 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Is there really a discussion about wanting to hire someone who protected those that abused women?  Seriously?

Yeah...it is. There have also been discussions regarding the Briles’ from Baylor as well as Hugh Freeze. 

6 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

After Malzahn goes 8-5 again next year, my vote is to throw $8 million at Urban Meyer. Now hear me out...  I’m dead serious about this and I think we can offer Urban what he really wants.

Urban wants to prove that he’s the best. After sitting out a year, the OSU mess will blow over and Urban will have yet another chance to recharge the batteries. .He now knows that he can’t get into the playoff by just winning the Big 10. He’s been shutout 2 years in a row. He has to get back in the SEC if he wants a chance to win another championship.

In order to be the best, he has to prove once and for all that he is the only one that can beat Saban. Not Kirby Smart, not Dabo, but Urban is the one that owns a 2-1 career record against Saban. And yet, Saban is viewed as the better coach because of the championships. 

Urban Meyer knows this will his last chance to salvage his name, reputation, and legacy, so I believe we can convince him to run this program the right way with Allan Greene watching him like a hawk.

His ego knows he dominated Jim Harbaugh in the 2nd biggest rivalry in college football. The next step is to come to Auburn and dominate Saban in THE biggest rivalry in college football. Auburn still has the talent. We are in a hotbed of recruiting, and Meyer knows how to recruit Georgia and Florida.

Let’s get this done Allan Greene!

Interesting...personally I think he is 3 years away from coaching again.....but again you never know.

3 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Yeah...it is. There have also been discussions regarding the Briles’ from Baylor as well as Hugh Freeze. 

At least with Freeze he went out of his way to apologize.  Meyer had to read off of a script written for him, and the whole time he looked irritated that he had to waste his time to apologize for what he did.

1 minute ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

With the type schedule we play at Auburn?  

Hell no, he won't come here.  He'd run in the opposite direction with his tail between his legs.

Exactly, he's basically all of the characters in The Wizard of Oz.

At UF he didn't have Tebow anymore and Saban was clearly on the rise so he became the Tin Man.

At tOSU the pressure mounted regarding how he handled abusive coaches and, though they have handled UM to now, Harbaugh is still improving so he became the Scarecrow.

Truth is, he's the Lion.  

:beer2:

Say whatever but the man can coach....I don’t see him coming here because he is done. But IMO he is the definition of an elite proven winner. And if you are looking for that you gotta gauge his interest. 

26 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

At least with Freeze he went out of his way to apologize.  Meyer had to read off of a script written for him, and the whole time he looked irritated that he had to waste his time to apologize for what he did.

He also went out of his way thumping his bible and faith at every turn. Come to find out he was cheating (both ways). Just fronting all the way. Imo neither are worth comparing because I don’t see neither coaching at Auburn in the near future.

I agree with those who say Urban Meyer is sleazy, and has skeletons in his closet. I also agree Meyer is the second best coach in college football, and one of only a handful of elite college coaches. I put Bob Stoops in the elite category as well. Because of Meyer's status as an elite coach, I would fully support a move to bring him to Auburn.

The downside is Urban Meyer fled the SEC once Saban turned Bama around. Meyer beat Saban in the 2008 SECCG, but lost in 2009. It was after that game Meyer took a leave of absence and then resigned, only to unresign and have an mediocre 2010 season and then resign again. Does he want to go back to that?

The risk to Meyer is the full wrath of the REC, Mark Emmert, Greg Sankey, and Steve Shaw. Does anyone think they will tolerate a coach of Meyer's caliber in the SEC West? My guess is there would be an effort to take Meyer down.

The upside is Saban will not be there forever. I think he will retire after a couple of more titles. So a coach like Urban Meyer could come in and become the new darling of the SEC. I really think this was Jimbo Fisher's motivation. Get a beachhead and become competitive, then when Saban retires, become dominant. That probably applies to Kirby Smart as well.

This is one case where I can't let ability or previous record trump (lack of) character.    UM is a scumbag, even by (admittedly low) college-coaching standards - the publication of the newest details on the Zach Smith situation spells it out clearly.    Read some of this:

Police Release Thousands of Documents in Zach Smith Case

He will "suffer" his headaches now long enough for the NCAA heat to die down, and then his second "miraculous recovery" will occur when another juicy HC job opens up (like ND).   Good  riddance, let some other program have him.  After all we've been through with JJ, Clint Myers, et al .....this jackwagon is the LAST thing AU needs to deal with.

Urban does have a tendency to look the other way with tOSU thing and Hernandez thing at UF (not the Cam thing, interesting).  However, he also can coach and recruit at an elite level. Knowing that he won’t make it more than 4 seasons at Auburn would actually be a good thing.  He could turn the program around without a dip in the W-L record that normally happens after a coaching change, he could get our recruiting in Ga, Ala and Fl back to where it should be and he could hire some up and coming coaches to groom for his departure.

The ”Saban drove him out” is totally a Bama narrative. Could you imagine if Urban has success against Saban during his tenure at Auburn and Saban decides to retire, the narrative we could come up with?  I know hiring Urban probably won’t happen, but think a little outside the box.

We'd be successful, but it wouldn't be worth it. As others have said, just pay 8 million to another big name. Heck, if you can pay 8 million you can pay 10. When we are talking that much money, nobody is off the table. 

Archived