This will be an unpopular opinion

CameronCrazy

3 hours ago, JWShewmake said:

Well CameronCrazy you got one thing right; it is an unpopular opinion.  I would rather have a coach of good character who doesn't win them all than a coach who is a slime bag and wins them all.  I would not take Saban.   Not on a silver platter.  The way you win is just as important as winning to me.

JWShewmake

Please, oh please, what has Saban ever done to be a slime bag? He has always run a clean program with no NCAA issues and minimal major off the field issues. Don't be salty the best coach in college football history is at the rival. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

If his health issues are legit and he really, really, really left THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY, where he just beat Michigan for the umpteenth time in a row (convincingly) and won the Big 20 Championship, due to a serious, non-reversible brain tumor, and already has a ticking time bomb for a heart, then WTH would anyone even think he'd be available to come to Auburn, much less want to take a job THAT HE JUST QUIT (from a school that is held in MUCH higher national regard than our beloved AU) that apparently he feels will kill him?

If you don't believe that he ran from Saban nor is running from this current situation, then have some compassion for him and let him retire in peace for his health's sake.  If he WERE to come to Auburn within the next 2 years then he's proving the "naysayers" in this discussion correct.

Can't have it both ways...

He would not. I think his health concerns are legit. Walking away from Ohio State when they are rolling and recruiting at this elite level makes me believe this is legit. He would win 10 or more games in a row for 10 more seasons if he was healthy. There is no reason at all for him to step away. People thought he was running because of how it looked at florida because he left after a 8-5 season. But Ohio State is one of the 4 best teams every year along with bama, clemson and oklahoma. He is leaving a great team and program that is absolutely loaded.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He would not. I think his health concerns are legit. Walking away from Ohio State when they are rolling and recruiting at this elite level makes me believe this is legit. He would win 10 or more games in a row for 10 more seasons if he was healthy. There is no reason at all for him to step away. People thought he was running because of how it looked at florida because he left after a 8-5 season. But Ohio State is one of the 4 best teams every year along with bama, clemson and oklahoma. He is leaving a great team and program that is absolutely loaded.

And I 100% get and respect your conclusion.

So you agree, anyone wanting him to suddenly be healthy enough to come save Auburn football is just..... wishing?  ....or thinks he's faking his health issues?

Just now, AUsince72 said:

And I 100% get and respect your conclusion.

So you agree, anyone wanting him to suddenly be healthy enough to come save Auburn football is just..... wishing?  ....or thinks he's faking his health issues?

He could and would save it. I do think he will be back EVENTUALLY as he is only 53 or 54 years old but he will not only be away for 1 season this time. He will only come back for a blue blood job as well. I do not see him coming to AU. I say he will be away for 4 or 5 seasons and then will pop up at say Oklahoma if Lincoln Riley goes to the NFL. He could show up at USC if whoever is next after Clay Helton flames out.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He could and would save it. I do think he will be back EVENTUALLY as he is only 53 or 54 years old but he will not only be away for 1 season this time. He will only come back for a blue blood job as well. I do not see him coming to AU. I say he will be away for 4 or 5 seasons and then will pop up at say Oklahoma if Lincoln Riley goes to the NFL. He could show up at USC if whoever is next after Clay Helton flames out.

Reasonable conclusion.

I just hope he gets legitimate Dr's concurring with his decision to come back.

1 hour ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Boy, howdy.  You might want to get off the farm and see the world at some point.  Experience life.  Witness perfection.

Then come back and demand that same damned perfection from a program that has hemorrhaged money on one piss poor decision after another.

War Eagle Anyway.

I've seen enough life to realize what matters in it. And character matters more than winning petty football games. I don't like AU's coaching decisions anymore than you do, but you are just flat out not an Auburn guy if you don't respect how special a place it is. 

53 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Please, oh please, what has Saban ever done to be a slime bag? He has always run a clean program with no NCAA issues and minimal major off the field issues. Don't be salty the best coach in college football history is at the rival. 

The awful way he talks to the media (those with no power to harm him), Jonathan Taylor, Hootie Jones, Courtney Upshaw, the call to ban no huddle offenses out of "player safety" (of course, he ironically uses the HUNH as much as anyone now), oversigning, processing, leading Jalen Hurts on this year, etc. He isn't a Rick Pitino, for sure, but he is as underhanded as it gets.

Also, just because they haven't been caught, doesn't mean they don't cheat. T-Town Menswear was (and probably still is) SUCH a smoking gun that the NCAA ignores. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Our fan base is obsessed with Saban lol.

WOW…..how perceptive...😃    though seems that might fly both ways if you ever look at al.com    Any article about AU is followed by many dozens of bammers commenting (negatively of course) and maybe a small handful of AU fans.    

Just now, AU64 said:

WOW…..how perceptive...😃    though seems that might fly both ways if you ever look at al.com    Any article about AU is followed by many dozens of bammers commenting (negatively of course) and maybe a small handful of AU fans.    

I rarely ever look at al.com. And I never read the comments. Difference between me and you. 

Just now, DAG said:

I rarely ever look at al.com. And I never read the comments. Difference between me and you. 

Gotta know what the enemy is up to......but there are often some good pieces about AU on there by our beat writers.   But....avoid the comments other than just for laughs.   I'm just amazed how many bammer sourced comments get posted on AU articles.  

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Gotta know what the enemy is up to......but there are often some good pieces about AU on there by our beat writers.   But....avoid the comments other than just for laughs.   I'm just amazed how many bammer sourced comments get posted on AU articles.  

But do you really have to know what the enemy is up to? Lol 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

But do you really have to know what the enemy is up to? Lol 

Well...maybe I don't HAVE to know but it's nice to see what's cooking over there ….and then when belle goes off on REC, I am fully able to support her accusations or characterizations of the "typical bammer".  ..:)

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well...maybe I don't HAVE to know but it's nice to see what's cooking over there ….and then when belle goes off on REC, I am fully able to support her accusations or characterizations of the "typical bammer".  ..:)

You are very, very, VERY brave...on all of the above. The very few times I got caught up in the comments, I needed an immediate shower.

Just now, ToraGirl said:

You are very, very, VERY brave...on all of the above. The very few times I got caught up in the comments, I needed an immediate shower.

I maybe scan a dozen or so comments but at the bottom of the article they have the count of comments and it's pretty normal for the number to be in triple digits on article like.....Asa's redshirt.....or the one on Brousard. which drew over 300 comments ….and I'd bet that 3/4th were from bammers.   Amazing huh? :-\ 

2 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

You are clueless about the lil' nickatator.  Slime bag is actually too nice a label for him. He has no NCAA issues because of his buddy Emmert and the other bammers inside the NCAA organization. bammer is the dirtiest program in college football and has been for 50 years. 

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

People supporting Meyer, honestly, do you care at all about Auburn or its reputation? I am asking sincerely. Does character and integrity matter or are you guys just like the Soviet Union trying to win Olympic medals? Only winning matters? 

Well, losing is sorta why you've been calling for Gus' head the past 2 months. Or was it because of too many 'bullcrap's?'

11 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Well, losing is sorta why you've been calling for Gus' head the past 2 months. Or was it because of too many 'bullcrap's?'

See previous posts. Hard to believe but you can hire a high character guy AND win. Clemson is doing it as we speak. The greatest college coach of all time, John Wooden, was of the highesr degree of character.

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

See previous posts. Hard to believe but you can hire a high character guy AND win. Clemson is doing it as we speak. The greatest college coach of all time, John Wooden, was of the highesr degree of character.

It was pretty well known Sam Gilbert was buying blue chip players for UCLA during their run. Wooden is not as clean as his squeaky clean image is made out to be. 

48 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It was pretty well known Sam Gilbert was buying blue chip players for UCLA during their run. Wooden is not as clean as his squeaky clean image is made out to be. 

If that is true I 100% believe Wooden didn't know about it.

2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

You are clueless about the lil' nickatator.  Slime bag is actually too nice a label for him. He has no NCAA issues because of his buddy Emmert and the other bammers inside the NCAA organization. bammer is the dirtiest program in college football and has been for 50 years. 

So you've got nothing. Thanks for playing. 

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

The awful way he talks to the media (those with no power to harm him), Jonathan Taylor, Hootie Jones, Courtney Upshaw, the call to ban no huddle offenses out of "player safety" (of course, he ironically uses the HUNH as much as anyone now), oversigning, processing, leading Jalen Hurts on this year, etc. He isn't a Rick Pitino, for sure, but he is as underhanded as it gets.

Also, just because they haven't been caught, doesn't mean they don't cheat. T-Town Menswear was (and probably still is) SUCH a smoking gun that the NCAA ignores. 

So not putting up with media BS makes you bad?

As far as players acting stupid, no coach has a team where players dont get in trouble. Let's not forget multiple players shot and armed robberies that have happened at Auburn over the last several years. 

Trying to use the rules to your advantage is slimeball? The push by Saban and others actually led to the rule forcing Osto wait if they sub to give the D a chance. A needed rule. There is nothing wrong about trying to gain a competitive edge. 

How exactly has he lead on hurts? That kid loves alabama and worked with a great QB coach and finished his degree. Get that BS out of here. 

You'll have to elaborate on processing and oversigning. 

Do you really want to try and argue that boosters don't pay Auburn players? I worked for 4 years with butbthe football and baseball teams, I can't even begin to count the hundo-handshakes. Don't try to pretend Auburn is above the big money and big business of college athletics. 

You literally have nothing but bias and salt. 

1 hour ago, AUGunsmith said:

So not putting up with media BS makes you bad?

As far as players acting stupid, no coach has a team where players dont get in trouble. Let's not forget multiple players shot and armed robberies that have happened at Auburn over the last several years. 

Trying to use the rules to your advantage is slimeball? The push by Saban and others actually led to the rule forcing Osto wait if they sub to give the D a chance. A needed rule. There is nothing wrong about trying to gain a competitive edge. 

How exactly has he lead on hurts? That kid loves alabama and worked with a great QB coach and finished his degree. Get that BS out of here. 

You'll have to elaborate on processing and oversigning. 

Do you really want to try and argue that boosters don't pay Auburn players? I worked for 4 years with butbthe football and baseball teams, I can't even begin to count the hundo-handshakes. Don't try to pretend Auburn is above the big money and big business of college athletics. 

You literally have nothing but bias and salt. 

I'll try to use reason. I'll go point by point.

Saban doesn't humiliate and belittle people over "BS", he does it over innocuous questions because he is arrogant and thinks that being a head football coach makes him a king. Did you see what he did to Maria Taylor? Is that how you talk to others? 

The difference between Saban and others when it comes to discipline is their discipline is determined entirely by their talent. Guys like Hootie Jones and Cam Robinson don't miss any significant playing time for major charges while a scrub (google Tyren Jones) will get booted for nothing. When an Auburn kid messes up, he is punished regardless of status.

Courtney Upshaw assaulted his girlfriend and didn't miss a day of practice. Auburn was LAMBASTED for even hosting Jon Taylor on a recruiting visit because of his past domestic violence history. Well Saban freaking signs him, and a couple months later the guy assaults another woman. Saban excused it away, saying all Taylor's references checked out. Richt (his former coach) says Saban never even called him. 

Total BS on Saban getting that rule changed. I believe you could always substitute when the offense changes personnel. That isn't new. But what makes him a slimeball is disguising his agenda behind "player safety". Saying it's dangerous to play up tempo. Since he currently plays up tempo, that means one of two things. 1. He is a liar and always knew there was no danger to play up tempo. 2. He genuinenly believes the no huddle is dangerous yet cares so little for his guys he runs it anyway. S L I M E.

Saban absolutely led on Hurts so he could maintain a capable backup. It was selfish and wrong. Just before the opener, Hurts said in an interview the coaches left him isolated in the offseason. Never talked to him about the QB situation. Saban, and all of America, knew from day one that Tua was gonna start. So he should have been honest with Jalen so he could have looked to transfer elsewhere if that is what he wanted. Instead Saban played coy, led on Hurts with the illusion of a close QB "battle", until the season got here and Jalen was stuck.

Never heard of processing and oversigning? Saban invented it. Sign as many prospects as possible, even those you don't have room for, and cut the fat later. That's why guys with minor injuries are told to take medical scholarships and basically booted from the team. Others are encouraged to transfer or kicked off for minor rules violations. Why do you think Saban was so hesitant when the SEC passed the 4 year scholly rule? He didn't want to guarantee anybody a spot for four years when he could cut them for a better player. Saban and Houston Nutt are the reasons signing rules changed a few years back.

Finally, I don't know who you are or what you do, but to be this clueless about the inner workings of a rival school like Alabama I doubt you worked with the Auburn athletic department. Hundo handshakes sounds like you've just been watching "The Program". Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying for someone who knows so little, I don't believe your claims.

I wanted Urban this year. It was evident he was leaving

i don’t think there’s anyway he’s coming back to the sec, much less to a place that’s not an absolute top 6 powerhouse gig with what real ailments he does have. No reason to come here when USC likely has an opening next season 

Archived